February 2, 2007

Schadenfreude Friday: Clean Getaway

from CNN.com...

Sen. Joe Biden planned to spend Wednesday focusing on his official announcement that he was running for president, but the Delaware Democrat instead found himself defending remarks he made to the New York Observer about his Democratic opponents.

In the article published Wednesday, Biden is quoted evaluating presidential rivals Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton, D-New York, former Sen. John Edwards, D-North Carolina, and Sen. Barack Obama, D-Illinois. His remarks about Obama, the only African-American serving in the Senate, drew the most scrutiny.

"I mean, you got the first mainstream African-American who is articulate and bright and clean and a nice-looking guy," Biden said. "I mean, that's a storybook, man."

Oh my god people - a clean black man! Keee-rist! That's a first in American politics. Apparently that Jesse Jackson? Peeeee-ewwww! In all seriousness, Biden's done. Bye Joe.

Honestly, I think it's sad that one slip of the tongue can end a presidential run. Biden's an okay guy. At least he's willing to stick up for the stuff he believes in. Unless he actually believes that African-Americans have hygiene problems. In which case, well, he's just a dumbass.

Suspension of Disbelief Schadenfreude: Sienna Miller's sex scenes in her upcoming Factory Girl aren't simulated, some say. The real story? What's up with the director's name - George Hickenlooper. Hickenlooper?

Steamy McPotter and the Order of the Nekkid: So, it's not technically schadenfreude but there's an awful lot of furor over Daniel Radcliffe showing off his magic wand this week.

Aqua Teen Hunger Schadenfreude of the Week: Blinking signs promoting Cartoon Network's Aqua Teen Hunger Force sparked mass hysteria. Justice League of America called, Wonder Twins save the day.

Posted by Chris at February 2, 2007 7:14 AM
Comments

That stunt in Boston, funniest thing I've seen all week! The interview the two doofus's (doofi? What is the plural of doofus??) had after their arrest was hysterical....only answering questions related to hair....its just so bizzare one can only laugh!

Posted by: Lisa at February 2, 2007 7:54 AM

Those poor politicians - the can hardly keep out of trouble. On the surface, the comment just sounded really nice, but I guess on second thought, some people had a reason to be upset.

Cas

Posted by: cassie-b at February 2, 2007 7:59 AM

Perhaps the world should stop opening their mouths and inserting 'feet'....nah, then what would friday become at Rude Cactus--recipe day?

side note--I went to school with some Hickenlooper twins

Posted by: Nanette at February 2, 2007 8:03 AM

Here's some more Schadenfreude for your Friday:

Shash

Posted by: Shash at February 2, 2007 8:27 AM

On the moon, politicians are spanked with moon rocks. :p

Posted by: Hope at February 2, 2007 9:11 AM

OK, today I have no witty comment, but I still read and smile at your blog daily, so I thought I'd just comment to let you know I stopped by.

Posted by: Heather at February 2, 2007 9:24 AM

The magic wand. It looks like the boy is ready to shed the good clean happy Potter facade. After all, from Order of Phoenix on, the series gets dark. Might as well start now.

And that Equus play? All fucked up and I love it. If DR can pull it off, good for him.

An Sienna? Who cares if she has sex for real or not. Girl's gorgeous! One of the list of girls I'd go gay for.

Finally Aquateen stunt. Fuckin. Dumb. Asses.

Posted by: oakley at February 2, 2007 9:32 AM

Joe Biden... cripes almighty. What a stupid thing to say. Sheesh. He's toast. Maybe he'll go to rehab too.

Difficult to believe that the stunt in Boston created such a mess, given that it went off fine in all the other cities across the country. Evidently people in Boston don't watch enough cartoons.

And personally, I'm glad I'm not Daniel Radcliffe's mom. He's only 17, for cryin' out loud. If my son had come to me at age 17 and told me he was going to appear nekkid on stage for the entire world to see, I'd have discouraged him quite strongly. I suspect his father would have as well. Don't parents act like parents anymore?

Posted by: coolchick at February 2, 2007 9:47 AM

I knew Biden would make an appearance on Schadenfreude Friday!

Posted by: Liz at February 2, 2007 10:13 AM

it's the horse in the background of the daniel radcliff shot that i find disturbing....

Posted by: ali at February 2, 2007 10:17 AM

The best Hickenlooper of them all - geologist, the brewery-owning, progressive, nerdy Mayor of Denver - John Hickenlooper! (his campaign ads for his 2003 election are PRICELESS. same company did Lamont's ads.)

Re. nekkid Harry Potter? At the risk of sounding like a total pervert, he's hot.

Posted by: FW Sunshine at February 2, 2007 10:30 AM

Oh, Joe Biden. You actually caught my attention by saying you'd end the Iraq war and bring the troops home, and then you had to go and be a dumbass.

Hickenlooper? Ha!

And while I don't particularly want to see Daniel Radcliffe or Harry Potter naked, I don't care if they get naked.

Have you seen the "press conference" with the two Aqua Teen Force Hunger guys where they will only talk about their hair? It is ridiculous that these guys are charged with a crime.

Posted by: bad penguin at February 2, 2007 10:35 AM

Didn't Biden have some kind of scandal before? Something about plagiarism comes to mind. I could look it up, but I find I don't really care that much; I'll just toss that rumor out there. I think some people just don't have the filter that translates well-meaning-but-poorly-stated into PC-enough-for-a-pol speak.

I think the people who are now threatening to boycott the rest of the HP films because the DR took on a new role are fairly nutty. I mean, sure, don't let your kids watch Equus (please, in the name of all that's good and pure, don't let your kid watch Equus) but... he's an *actor*. It's a *different role*. It's not like he's going to strip and blind some horses in the middle of the Quidditch field in the next HP film.

Posted by: Kate the Shrew at February 2, 2007 10:37 AM

Dude, the HIGH SCHOOL I work at is doing Equus. Can't speak to the nudity---i'm guessing they're not gonna do it. (ha)

And I, for one, am glad that Joe Biden cleared up Obama's STD history for us all. What a relief. I had my voting hat all ready for him until I heard that nasty rumour about him getting crabs from Sheena Easton. To the polls! (wait, NEXT November? Are you fucking kidding me?)

Posted by: andy at February 2, 2007 10:40 AM

If I had a nickel for everytime that "what I said is not what I meant" I'd be planning that Tahiti vacation right now. But then, I'm not running for office anytime soon.

Biden's record, except for the old plagiarism issue, speaks far louder than one slip of the tongue. He spent the next day apologizing.

It might be safer for all politicians to plan what they're going to say and avoid off the cuff remarks. Otherwise you have Trent Lott saying the country should have voted for Strom Thurmond and Mississippi sending him back to the Senate anyhow.

Have a great weekend.

Posted by: ann adams at February 2, 2007 10:40 AM

okay, what the heck is it with these two morons who did the publicity stunt in Boston? Now that really was stupid! And gets my vote for stupidest thing ever. OMG!

Posted by: Maribeth at February 2, 2007 10:48 AM

Yeah, I had to read all kinds of stuff about the Boston "terror hoax" to prepare for my job yesterday. Gotta be up on the latest headlines, of course. It actually gets tiresome after a while, although I guess I haven't been doing it all that long! Sometimes it's nice to just SKIM the headlines, instead of having to go so in-depth and read stuff that I'm not really all that interested in (and you know how news programs just KILL a story by talking about it so much). Groan. :)

Posted by: Zandria at February 2, 2007 10:48 AM

The name Hickenlooper sounds very familiar. I think I went to high school with a kid with that name. I need to google that.

And Mr. "he's over 18 now" Potter is hot. What's the big deal?

(crap, did I just type that out? Crap.)

As always, love the schadenfreude.

Posted by: Isabel at February 2, 2007 11:01 AM

Okay, was I the only person to take Biden's comment as meaning that he was not a dirty politician? I never assumed it had anything to do with race until the media started reporting it that way.

I don't know, maybe I'm too damn soft.

Posted by: Coleen at February 2, 2007 11:13 AM

"showing off his magic wand"
he he he...

Posted by: Jenn at February 2, 2007 11:16 AM

So, does this mean that Taye Diggs doesn't shower? Golly, I hope it's not true. Because my imaginary love affair with that man cannot be tainted!

Posted by: smoness at February 2, 2007 11:26 AM

What about the Mayor of San Francisco?!

Posted by: heels at February 2, 2007 11:47 AM

I'm sure he meant Clean cut. Regardless, Biden is too old, has been in politics too long to do anything new and this just thins the heard a little quicker.

Was in KC this week and here's my Schadenfreude for today - Marlon Brando Gil charged

Posted by: Johnny Smoke at February 2, 2007 11:58 AM

Damn, I was going to post that the kick-ass mayor of Denver is named Hickenlooper, but someone beat me to it :)

Posted by: Liz at February 2, 2007 12:41 PM

Yeah...Biden will never recover from that remark.

Posted by: wordgirl at February 2, 2007 12:51 PM

If Joe didn't already have a clunker like the one from when he went on Faux News Channel and bragged that he could win Southern primaries because "my state was a slave state." this might have slipped by without as much furor. Bye Bye Joe.

Did you happen to see the article, on how they are prosecuting these kids, in another part of Boston they found "Fake Pipe Bombs" but NO CHARGES WERE FILED! Really...

The sooner people finally realize that Daniel is NOT ACTUALLY HARRY POTTER, the better for us (and Daniel).

Posted by: JayMonster at February 2, 2007 1:06 PM

I saw Biden on The Daily Show with Jon Stewart (Holy long title, batman!) last night, and he was saying he meant that Obama had a fresh appeal. He seems like an alright guy; it kinda sucks how one misspoken word can totally screw things up and you might end up with someone 10x worse in the White House (I don't know enough about it, just thinking of possibilities) who knows how to play the political machine.

Posted by: Heather at February 2, 2007 1:13 PM

I have to second the article about SF's mayor as worthy of the Schadenfreude, but then again those of us who live here are hardly surprised.

As for the Daniel Radcliffe thing, well, part of me doesn't want to address that because I already feel like a dirty old lady, I have to say that Americans are raising the biggest fuss because we really are a pudish nation, despite what people seem to want to think. Britain's views on nudity are pretty different, and the age of consent in England is 16 (yes, I looked it up...)

Posted by: Judy at February 2, 2007 1:33 PM

er, prudish.

Posted by: Judy at February 2, 2007 1:33 PM

Yes the evil lite brites really screwed up Boston. God help them if they find a slinky under a bridge!

Posted by: Jeff A at February 2, 2007 2:18 PM

I could really care less what any actor does on their off time....but Steamy McPotter and the Order of the Nekkid is the coolest line I've seen in a while. Comic genius my friend.

Oh and hi!

Posted by: Issa at February 2, 2007 2:30 PM

Heather and I must not have watched the same Daily Show, because I saw Sienna Miller on last night.

Oh wait...maybe she was talking about the night-before's repeat earlier in the evening, which I hadn't seen.

[emily litella]

Never mind.

[/litella]

Posted by: Alison at February 2, 2007 4:57 PM

I'm still loading the links on two of the stories, but that thing with the Mooninites... I could have died laughing!

Remember when whatever town thought the ? boxes from the Nintendo games were bombs?

Posted by: Debra at February 2, 2007 6:55 PM

Dude, with a bod like he's got, Daniel Radcliffe can show off his magic wand any day of the week IMO. ;)

I just had to laugh when I saw a local article in the SF Chronicle about the Aqua Teen Hunger boxes that appeared in SF and no one FREAKED the hell out about them. They were just like "*shrug* cool."

Posted by: Teenuh at February 2, 2007 7:25 PM

I saw Biden on The Daily Show, too, and had to laugh. The poor guy just doesn't get it. There truly is no way to defend his comment; it was that bad. A shame, indeed, but what can he do? My guess is nothing.

Posted by: stacey at February 2, 2007 10:32 PM

May we all say to Ms. Miller - Fuck you, you skank. Next time you want to film a movie, don't come here. The #1 conservatory in drama can come up with more attractive and actually talented people to play any role you screw your way to.

Yet another still angry Pittsburgher (Yinzer, in our proud language)

Posted by: alektra at February 2, 2007 11:38 PM

Do you think there's some sort of filter Biden can buy to stop the stupid things from coming out of his mouth? Seriously, the man has a problem censoring himself.

Posted by: Beth in StL at February 3, 2007 2:24 AM

Why would Biden even try again?! The man is fine in the Senate but he needs to never ever consider leaving.

Posted by: MammaLoves at February 3, 2007 10:52 AM

Posted by: MammaLoves at February 3, 2007 10:53 AM

Seriously, all this hubbub over Daniel Radcliffe being nekkid on stage -- settle down, people. Way to teach your kids that nudity is shameful. Get over it, already.

Posted by: Kelly at February 4, 2007 8:11 PM