February 15, 2007

Ice And The End Of Times

What is it about snowfall - actual or impending - that makes people go completely, utterly batshit crazy, lose the ability to drive, and stock up on toilet paper, bread and milk? What's the thought process?

Ohmygod. Ohmygod. Ohmygod. Water...frozen water...falling from the sky...landing on the ground. Doom! Doom! The snowpacalypse is here! We're all going to die! And, crap, I'm going to miss my recommended daily allowance of calcium, whole grains and vitamin D! I'm so scared, I might just soil myself. Must. Get. Supplies. Quickly. Taking up several lanes of traffic with my hazard lights on.

I guess the joke was on me. I was a little convinced that it was the End Of Times when I tried to order a pizza last night. Two places, both closed. No pizza. Sadness. Then, this morning as I was making my way on foot through the glacier that now resides in my front yard, I fell. Flat on my ass. Wildly out of control. Yet I still managed to hold on to the bagel I was carrying. Still...ouch.

On a different night, and lest you think I forgot, I give you the participants of Stick Stuff On Your Head Day 2007. You all rock. Hard.

Posted by Chris at February 15, 2007 7:29 AM
Comments

First, the word snowpacalypse is awesome.

Second, I hope you're not too bruised from your fall--I know how bad that hurts. And I'm glad you saved your bagel.

Last, you have a bunch of crazy readers, that's for sure... :-)

Posted by: Alissa at February 15, 2007 7:52 AM

Those are some great pictues. I'm bummed that I missed out. You'll have to declare another put crap on your head day.

Posted by: nila at February 15, 2007 7:53 AM

Great pictures.

Posted by: William at February 15, 2007 7:58 AM

I've never really understood the stocking up on milk. Really? I could take it or leave it. If the snowpacalypse comes, I just won't have any milk. So what?

Posted by: ktjrdn at February 15, 2007 8:21 AM

I wonder what it would take for a pizza place to close out here? I live way far from town, after a 12 mile stint on a straight road with nothing around it, so they probably wouldn't deliver to me before closing though... Probably white-out conditions. Stupid snow.

I'll trade you. You have our -15 (-28 with windchill) and I'll take your snow.

Nice hat selections, folks!

Posted by: Phoenix at February 15, 2007 8:27 AM

Wow! I'm really impressed with the person who managed to balance a laptop on their head! And the geek in me is going, "is that a Dell Latitude?" :p

I always think that it's hilarious when people go insane over the weather as well and rush out to get as many groceries as possible. The supermarkets must love it! Of course, I'm lying in bed right now (home sick), listening to people spin out in their driveways as they kindof get to work. I guess it really is bad out today. Lots of ice.

Still, I think that we have enough food in the house that I will survive.

Posted by: Hope at February 15, 2007 8:29 AM

You have got to give a prize to the woman with the laptop on her head. I am not brave enough to do that. Or rather, I'm too clumsy to do that.

Posted by: Bunny at February 15, 2007 8:30 AM

Up north, where we all live in igloos year 'round, we have the opposite problem: people drive like it's the middle of summer no matter what the weather is. Listen, shit-for-brains... when there's 2" of packed snow on the road, you can't take corners at 50kph... I don't care if you have chains on your tires...

And, where are Beth and Mia? Didn't they do some shots?

Posted by: Jeff at February 15, 2007 8:32 AM

I wonder if the laptop on her head lady could navigate that glacier in front of your house with said laptop perched?

If you'll just perch yourself on any one of many glaciers in the areas, your bruise may not be as bad tomorrow.

Posted by: Wicked H at February 15, 2007 8:32 AM

You and my husband both and we can't even blame the snow. He tripped over a cat early yesterday morning and went flat on his nose. Not broken but we thought so for a little while.

Hope you're okay. I keep remembering why I left upstate New York for California.

Posted by: ann adams at February 15, 2007 9:12 AM

Sorry you fell, but good save on the bagel.

I think you should make Stuff On Your Head Day an annual event.

Posted by: Kate the Shrew at February 15, 2007 9:14 AM

Ouch! Glad you weren't hurt and still had the bagel to assuage any hurt pride.

Posted by: daisy at February 15, 2007 9:19 AM

We went out for dinner last night during our blizzard. One place was completely shut down. Imagine the largest restaurant in our area, closed! But we trekked onward. We got to our favorite place "Canoe" and there were maybe 10 cars in the entire place and 5 of those belonged to the staff. It was nice, for once, to have great, quiet seating and good food on Valentine's Day.
To all the other crazy's in New Hampshire who stayed home, I say, "Get 4 Wheel Drive!!!"

Posted by: Maribeth at February 15, 2007 9:44 AM

Am very sad that I missed the first Stick Stuff On Your Head Day. This is going to be an annual thing, right?

Oh, nice save on the bagel, by the way.

Posted by: Fraulein N at February 15, 2007 9:54 AM

You certainly have a lot of young readers! :)

It kind of looks like I'm checking out that guy on my left, doesn't it?

Posted by: Zandria at February 15, 2007 9:58 AM

well done saving the bagel. falling sucks and if i fell and lost my bagel, well the bagel part would have just ruined my day ;)
glad i wasnt there to see the fall, I'm one of those people who cant control laughing when i see someone fall (as long as they dont get hurt too bad). hahahaha!

Posted by: mad mom at February 15, 2007 10:02 AM

Sorry about the fall. Ouchies. I am sooo glad I live in an area where our winter weather consists of rain, rain and more rain. I was born in Minnesota, I've lived through enough winter for a few lifetimes.

And I love the pics! They are so so cute together like that!!

Posted by: Teenuh at February 15, 2007 10:26 AM

Yes, yes, we're all very clever.

So did you get the Hustler or what?

Posted by: Sarah, Goon Squad Sarah at February 15, 2007 10:53 AM

the more i see that picture of me, the more i hate it.

everyone else looks adorable!

Posted by: JuJuBee at February 15, 2007 11:03 AM

Do you see what people are saying? The laptop was evil-genius... too bad you can't see from the thumbnail that YOUR WEBSITE is pulled up and balanced oh so craftily on my head. I should get a frickin cookie for that. Or a cash prize. Whatever, I'm not picky.
--I'm actually digging the dude with the yoga ball on his head. THAT takes some talent! He deserves a cookie, too. =)

Posted by: smoness at February 15, 2007 11:08 AM

Great pics!

We have well over a foot of snow here so I feel your pain. Over the last 24 hours we've had over a 30 degree celcius rise in temperature (-28 to +6) so now the roads are covered in frost to make the crappy drivers even worse. Loverly!

Posted by: Much More Than A Mom at February 15, 2007 11:16 AM

As you may remember, people in Texas are the WORST about snow. Trying to drive on a snow day (regardless of whether it's actually sticking) or the day AFTER a snow day is like trying to cross a rink of 400 blindfolded 5-year-olds who've been turned loose in bumper cars.

Posted by: Amy at February 15, 2007 11:19 AM

I'm so bummed I missed Stick Stuff on Your Head Day. Does it have to be an annual event only? I couldn't find my camera!

RE: the ice...UGH! Glad the bagel was safe.

Posted by: MammaLoves at February 15, 2007 11:22 AM

I never understood the mad rush to buy milk and bread when there's a snowstorm on the way. I mean, what the hell are people going to do? Make milk sandwiches?

Whenever there was a storm, I stocked up on Ben and Jerry's, cheetos, cheese, wine, all my favorite frozen junk foods, and of course, vodka.

You know, the basics.

Posted by: statia at February 15, 2007 11:34 AM

People get psycho. A lot.

Posted by: Sphincter at February 15, 2007 12:29 PM

Last night I was out running errands at 12:30 (yes, I know...) and I got passed, on a residential street, by a "Mr. Pizza Man" delivery guy doing about 45. I couldn't believe any place was delivering pizza that late.

Great pics too, you've got some nutty readers. I'm surprised by the number of cats on heads. The laundry basket thing is something I totally would do (and have done) but I think the baby with the blue hippo on its head is my favorite.

Posted by: Judy at February 15, 2007 12:34 PM

Yeah, people here crammed into Kroger yesterday. We decided that everyone there was a dick, and left. Fortunately, we can WALK to the liquor store for the staples we need in case of the snowpacalypse.

Posted by: Alison at February 15, 2007 12:34 PM

Yesterday it KIND of snowed in Fort Worth, PLUS there was a chance or more "snow" PLUS it was Valentine's Day, so the grocery store was filled with guys buying roses, milk and wine. And beer. And meat? Hm.

Great collection of photos, Chris. Though I'm with Zandria - who knew you had such a following among the young'uns?

Posted by: FW Sunshine at February 15, 2007 12:44 PM

Thank God! because I totally landed on my ass this morning right in front of my office entrance...
Thanks for getting hurt so I'd feel better. [grin]

Oh, and I agree. The pics should be an annual event.

Posted by: fauve at February 15, 2007 1:01 PM

I'm not a big fan of the freezing rain. Not that I think it's apoloclypse-type-frenzy inducing, but it's not fun. For the reason you mentioned this morning. I don't like falling on ice.

At least it's not -33C where you are today. That's cold, yo.

Posted by: suze at February 15, 2007 1:15 PM

Awww. Now I feel bad for not participating, but I was retaining water all last week and you know how the camera adds 10 pounds anyway...

That's my excuse. But those other pictures are adorable...and some are slightly disturbing.

Posted by: wordgirl at February 15, 2007 1:59 PM

First of all, if you are going to be trapped in the house by snow, with a toddler, it makes more sense to me to stock up on, say, vodka than milk. But I guess milk is the responsible choice.

Sam is over on my page with stuff on his head, www.evilqueenrules.blogspot.com.

Posted by: Annie at February 15, 2007 3:48 PM

Oh, and falling on the ice? God getting you back for taking Beth's five and only returning a single. ;)

Posted by: Annie at February 15, 2007 3:49 PM

Are you using one of those butt pillows? That would be amusing...

Posted by: Emily at February 15, 2007 7:18 PM

How cool! Great turn out, I'm bummed I missed out. Next time!

Posted by: Colleen at February 15, 2007 9:08 PM

Thank you for adding the word "snowpacalypse" to my vocabulary. I will use it far more often than pathetic words like "rhubarb" or "fundamentalism".

Posted by: Janna at February 15, 2007 9:37 PM

Hope your aRse is okay now, Chris! I love these photos. How fun is that!?

Posted by: Haley-O at February 15, 2007 11:18 PM

The Snowpacolypse happens here too. Just happened a few days ago, actually. The driving gets outrageous. I wish we would have counted how many people were in ditches on the way to work that morning though -- it was a freaky amount. I hope those people stocked up on their toilet paper because they weren't getting out of the ditches anytime soon.

Posted by: angela at February 15, 2007 11:18 PM

Snow does for you what rain does for Los Angelenos. There's panic in the streets, cats sleeping with dogs, and a rash of Botox parties so, in case they all die, they'll look good at their funerals.

Luckily, it will be 78 degrees here tomorrow. Life is good. But rent is high.

Peace.

Posted by: L.A. Daddy at February 15, 2007 11:30 PM

Yeah, we had the same crap in Denver. The grocery stores had a lot of empty shelves.

You been tagged by the way! See my site.....

Posted by: Kyle I at February 16, 2007 1:23 AM

Aw....I missed all the "stuff on your head" fun. Heh, like I don't have enough pictures of ME right! ;-)

Posted by: Kate at February 16, 2007 2:04 AM

Dunno how I missed this. Here at druid labs, we just have one thing to put on our heads. And the heads of everyone else that comes to visit us. Ever. Including window installers, notary publics, and pets.

Enjoy!

Posted by: bhd at February 16, 2007 11:55 AM

Great stuff! I particularly love the laptop. I mean, really, what else would a BLOGGER put on her head?!

Posted by: Marilyn at February 17, 2007 12:01 AM