February 12, 2007

Weekend Recap: Drawing And Romance Are In The Air

This weekend was a wonderful thing. 48 hours, and I got to spend most of them with my two favorite people. That's Mia and Beth in case you were just sitting there staring blankly at your monitors. We had no particular places to go but we managed to have a great time together.

There was a great deal of coloring and drawing. Mia digs finding colored pencils and crayons and going to town on an unsuspecting piece of paper. The funniest development has got to be the narration. As she colors, she now tells us exactly what she's drawing. Which is particularly hilarious because pretty much everything she draws looks exactly the same. For instance...

We also went to the bookstore...one of my favorite places. One of our local bookstores has a giant train set for kids to play with.
Mia is not immune to the attraction of the rails. We knew we were going to run into problems, though, when Mia spied a collection of Sesame Street-related toys. I really didn't give it much thought. I headed off to pay for some books and find a new book light (nocturnal reader that I am) but when I returned, I realized the true scale of Mia's love for the monsters of Sesame Street. Somehow, we managed to make it out of the place without a) buying 37 stuffed animals and b) a screaming child.

There was plenty of other stuff - kisses, dancing, jumping, telling us when she pooped - that came together to make a wonderful, yet short, weekend.

The weekend concluded with a discussion of our plans for Valentine's Day.

Me: So, are we going to exchange Valentine's Day gifts this year?
Her: No. We talked about that right?
Me: Yeah, but I just wanted to be sure.
Her: I'll, you know, get you a card or something if I manage to make it to the store.
Me: I could just pick up one for myself when I go to get you one.
Her: That would be cool. And pick up something neat for yourself while you're there. Like a copy of Playboy.
Me: Nah. Playboy's no good. I vote Hustler
Her: Yeah? Why?
Me: Hardcore.
Her: Really?
Me: Yeah. Otherwise, it's like imagination? Hello? Are you there? and then my imagination's all Yeah? What in tarnation do you want now??
Her: What in tarnation?
Me: My inner voice is strangely southern.

Aren't we romantic?

Posted by Chris at February 12, 2007 7:28 AM
Comments

You need to be romantic. Period. Don't fall for this "Oh, just a card," crap. We women-folk speak in code and that is code for "I hope you do something nice and romantic on Valentine's Day without me having to tell you so".

I would not lead you astray on this kind of stuff.

Posted by: Debbie at February 12, 2007 8:23 AM

I think perhaps you should get her some flowers or something anyway. Doesn't have to be elaborate or expensive--just something that says "Hey, I know we weren't doing gifts, but I just love you so much I couldn't resist." I know that would make ME happy.

Posted by: Alissa at February 12, 2007 8:47 AM

Totally romantic. ;-)

Those doodles don't look the same to me. I can clearly see the dogs snout, ears, and tail. Can't you see it?

Posted by: Maria at February 12, 2007 8:49 AM

And by "strangely southern" you mean "old school southern", right? No one says tarnation anymore, even in the south. You've been watching too much Larry the Cable Guy.

Ditto what Debbie said. You should totally do something "out of the ordinary"-romantic this year. Chicks dig the unexpected romantic gestures. Like stop by the flower store and pick up a (pre-planned, cuz they'll be way busy) bouquet that doesn't look all "arranged".

Or a cheesecake. Can't go wrong with that.

Unless she doesn't like cheesecake. Then you should question why you would be romantic towards anyone who doesn't like cheesecake, and eat the cheesecake yourself.

Posted by: coolchick at February 12, 2007 8:52 AM

Oooh! I second the cheesecake vote. Nothing says I love you like cheesecake!

Posted by: Traci at February 12, 2007 9:09 AM

Never believe anyone who says "don't do anything special" (and that's not confined to women btw).

You can't tell the difference between dog, moon, and birdy? I've seen pictures hanging in museums that looked far worse.

Happy Valentine's Day to all.

Posted by: ann adams at February 12, 2007 9:27 AM

bah. valentine's day is a hallmark holiday...buying yourself a card and a hustler is way more than we're doing around our house :)

Posted by: ali at February 12, 2007 9:58 AM

I'm jumping on the cheesecake bandwagon! Darn, now I want cheesecake. Curse you, coolchick!

Posted by: Kate the Shrew at February 12, 2007 10:11 AM

That is quite a pile of stuffed animals. Who is the red guy wiht the scary eyebrows?

John and I skip Valentine's Day too. I'm giving cookies and chocolate hearts to my team at work though, so I might give him any candy that I have left over.

Posted by: bad penguin at February 12, 2007 10:23 AM

That is a LOT of stuffed animals. :)

(By the way. I just noticed the down-side to looking at your site through Google Reader is that your pictures don't come through over there. So I'll just have to make sure to click over here once you update, since you include photos so often.)

Posted by: Zandria at February 12, 2007 10:31 AM

Pick up something for Mr. Half while your there. I'm completely out of ideas for Valentine's Day.

Posted by: wordgirl at February 12, 2007 11:05 AM

Sounds like a lovely weekend with your girls. Love the shot of them in the bookstore and the cast of Sesame Street ;-)

And yes, you two are VERY romantic...especially you. I think you edged out a head of her with the whole "Hustler" thing. Niiiiiiice. {smirk}

Happy Monday (if there is such a thing)

Posted by: Kate at February 12, 2007 11:35 AM

Now when you tell people something like that, no tantrum, you have to tell them how you did it. As a responsible parent you have to share any technique that works!

I'm just glad you didn't pick Playgirl!

Posted by: Jeff A at February 12, 2007 11:46 AM

Romantic yes. My parents would go to the card shop on their anniversary, pick out a card they would each give to each other, show it to the other one, and then they would leave. I think it's great!

Posted by: Heather at February 12, 2007 12:10 PM

Romantic... yeah. Just like me and Hubby. I asked him what he was making us special for dinner for Valentine's day.

I bought his card while he was with me. (he didn't see it though, but he did pay for it... :P)

Did I hear cheesecake? Yum... can't go wrong with that.

Posted by: Karen at February 12, 2007 12:46 PM

Yes, baked goods or sweets are an excellent way to get around the "no gifts" agreement! Also you can involve Mia in the baking process and it will be very, very cute and Beth will be yours For.Ev.Er.

Posted by: supine at February 12, 2007 12:56 PM

I must admit, I bought my BF a copy of Playboy for Valentines Day (shh! don't tell him! :P). What can I say? The blonde cylon from BSG was on the cover.

I also made him truffles.

Posted by: Hope at February 12, 2007 12:58 PM

You know, there's totally a market for toddler Rorschach tests...

Posted by: Pammer at February 12, 2007 3:07 PM

We can relate to the Valentine's Day thing. We don't do presents either. Or a meal out. My hubby is fond of saying, "Valentine's Day is for all of the slobs out there who ignore their wives and never take them out..."

Posted by: motherofbun at February 12, 2007 3:16 PM

I would think still do something just because you adore her (you know, other than $15 on the nightstand...heh) but the Hustler magazine is prettymuch a brilliant idea.

Posted by: Heather at February 12, 2007 3:18 PM

What - no Haiku today?

Posted by: shelley at February 12, 2007 5:05 PM

So, when can we get framed copies of those?

Posted by: Chocolate Makes It Better at February 12, 2007 6:06 PM

You two crack me up!

Posted by: Maribeth at February 12, 2007 7:03 PM

We're buying each other lights that you mount under the kitchen cabinet. We're trying to save up money for ... stuff ... and we couldn't think of a good holiday on which to purchase these lights. Let's face it: I don't have the patience to wait until Christmas. This way, too, I know James will not come home with expensive jewelry that I will love but would rather not have because I'd rather have money in the bank. Under the cabinet lights? Not very expensive, functional and attractive.

Posted by: Emily at February 12, 2007 7:14 PM

I think Mia is a true Picasso. That's natural talent!

Posted by: Beth in StL at February 12, 2007 8:18 PM

Sheez on the comments...
So am I like the only woman in the world who when she's says 'don't buy me anything for Valentine's day' actually means it?

Posted by: fauve at February 12, 2007 9:16 PM

I'm with fauve ... when I ask my boyfriend to please resist the allure of the bright red and pink ooey gooey Valentine's Day section at Target and every other store this time of year, I truly mean it. I'm a total romantic - but that crap just turns me off.

Posted by: Stacey at February 12, 2007 10:02 PM

You've give me some great ideas for Josh for Valentines day.... ;) Thanks Chris!
And, the monkey now has an Elmo doll and Grover!!! Darn bookstores.... :)

Posted by: Haley-O at February 12, 2007 10:04 PM

Oooooooo Emily? You mean those little spotlights with the pad that you touch on and off, and that has 3 levels of brightness? A pal of mine just installed some in her kitchen. They are WAY tres chic!

Posted by: coolchick at February 12, 2007 10:42 PM

You know she'd much rather have a Starbucks gift card than cheesecake.

And are you channeling Yosemite Sam? A moustache might be a good look for you.

Posted by: Annie at February 13, 2007 1:35 AM

'My inner voice is strangely southern'... that could explain alot... except that it actually just raises more questions...

Posted by: KT at February 13, 2007 8:29 AM

We're just cooking a slightly fancier than normal dinner for V-Day - shrimp scampi with asparagus. I told my husband he wasn't even allowed to buy me a box of chocolates because I'm trying to lose weight before our trip to Florida in just over a month, and plus I just read that they're all full of trans-fats. My no-trans-fats obsession lately is driving him nuts, and I think he really wanted to buy me chocolates so that he could eat them.

Posted by: Jessie at February 13, 2007 10:08 AM

You know, I've always wondered what tarnation means. I'm going to have to go pay a visit to dictionary.com I guess.

Posted by: angela at February 13, 2007 8:48 PM

What a missed opportunity-- I could've spent my Valentine's Day telling loved ones when I pooped.

Posted by: Janna at February 15, 2007 9:48 PM