March 2, 2007

Schadenfreude Friday: VanSchadenfreude

according to Britian's The Sun...
Eager penguins rushed towards Pete Doherty at a wildlife park — as he threw them his leftover cannabis joint.

Then one of the birds wolfed it down — thinking it was a tasty morsel.

Junkie Pete, 27, was showing off in front of girlfriend Kate Moss by waving the spliff in front of a group of Humboldt penguins. As supermodel Kate, 33, giggled, he hurled the remnants into their pen, where one bird promptly swallowed it. It was a scene that would shock fans of animated movie Happy Feet — about a tap-dancing penguin and his pals. A fellow visitor who snapped Pete at the Cotswold Wildlife Park in Burford, Oxfordshire, said: “Everyone knew he was smoking grass — he was joking about getting the penguins stoned. “He threw them his joint and it looked like one gulped it down. It seemed very wobbly.”

What the fuck is wrong with this guy? I mean, aside from the fact that he's clearly off his rocker (if he ever had a rocker to begin with) and stoned out of his mind 99.99% of the day. Yet, while I know it's terrible, the image of a penguin with a wicked case of the munchies is just too damn funny.
according to The L.A. Times...
For Van Halen, the stars seemed aligned for a triumphant 2007. This month, the group will be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, and the plan was to follow that with a summer reunion tour that would feature David Lee Roth back at the microphone for the first time since the Reagan years.

But, once again, the backstage soap opera of Van Halen is the story of the day.

The Van Halen tour has been ''shut down'' according to a top official at Live Nation, the huge concert promoter that finally surrendered in the face of the chaos surrounding guitar hero Eddie Van Halen. Roth, meanwhile, says he is unsure whether the mercurial guitarist will even travel to New York for the Hall of Fame induction on March 12.

''We have fragile politics in Van Halen, please accept that as a partial answer,'' Roth said. ''But I don't know if the Van Halens are going to go... I hope they do, but right now, I just don't know. Hope springs eternal.''

According to reports yesterday, Van Halen won't even play at their own hall of fame induction. Instead, Velvet Revolver will take the stage. Well, light up the sky and dance the night away! I had the feeling this one was going to be D.O.A. Seems they're outta love again. Maybe I was only a little dreamer to think this would actually happen. I guess there was some kinda eruption and some little punk came unchained. You know how it goes...push comes to shove then it's one foot out the door and onto the mean street. Where have all the good times gone? Happy trails, as they say. But don't worry - I'll wait.

A Note About Schadenfreude: Last week, Beth mentioned that Schadenfreude Friday didn't always live up to it's name. And I was forced to agree. See, schadenfreude is defined as satisfaction or pleasure felt at someone else's misfortune. Sometimes there's some legitimate schadenfreude but quite a bit of the time, I'm just pointing out some really stupid people and events. So yes, I realize the error of my ways...but the name's pretty catchy and sometimes accurate. I'm keeping it.

Posted by Chris at March 2, 2007 7:54 AM
Comments

I love the idea of a penguin with the munchies too,...

Posted by: Heather at March 2, 2007 8:35 AM

Pete Doherty -- I can't believe he didn't die last year. I suspect this is his year though. He obviously has a death wish, and he certainly looks pasty, sweaty, sickly and well on his way. I've crossed Kate Moss off the list for even being with him. She must be as dumb as a stump.

And in the picture I saw of Doherty at the zoo, there were little kids all around. Not that I think he's any sort of role model, but come on dude! Check into reality with the rest of us!

Posted by: coolchick at March 2, 2007 9:01 AM

It's your blog and you can write whatever you want.

Have a great weekend.

Posted by: ann adams at March 2, 2007 9:21 AM

Hey, it's better than READ MY BORING BLOG POST ABOUT MY DRIVE TO WORK THIS MORNING Friday. Which is what my blog might be today. Or it might be me bitching about being tired. Or maybe I'll talk about boys. I just have no idea.

Btw, I used to adore EVH. Adore. Hardcore. Bowed at his feet. Now I just want to slap him in the mouth. What a whiney, pathetic, egotistical little bitch. Sigh. I mean, when I started thinking David Lee Roth is a voice of reason, you know you're pretty much fucked.

Posted by: Sparkle Pants at March 2, 2007 9:23 AM

Dave? Eddie? Can't we all just get along. The fans are waiting!!!

Posted by: Mammaloves at March 2, 2007 9:32 AM

I always thought it should just be condensed into "Schadenfreuday"

Posted by: Kaz at March 2, 2007 9:35 AM

Glad you're keeping the name. It's one of the first things I look forward to in starting my long awaited weekend. Still charming . . .

My best to Beth and Mia!

Tootles,
Anni :-)

Posted by: Anni at March 2, 2007 9:49 AM

the Van Halen thing is so not surprising. They are rediculous. I admit, id love to see them all together but even if it they successfully got the tour going they would probably charge crazy ticket prices and that would completely piss me off. fuck 'em. Its annoying when all these older broken up bands get back together and dont try to hide that its cause they know they will make a ton of money.

Posted by: mad mom at March 2, 2007 9:53 AM

Oh, the technicalities! I say write what you want and keep the name. You're right, it sounds cool. :)

Posted by: Zandria at March 2, 2007 10:11 AM

It is catchy, and you obviously get pleasure from what you report. 'T'will do.

Posted by: jen at March 2, 2007 10:17 AM

as for VH - Guess they'll all just be sitting with their toes in the sand, gotta drink in their hand...

My hubby pointed that out to me about the Schadenfreude... I told him to just be quiet. It was still pretty funny...

Posted by: Karen at March 2, 2007 10:19 AM

but we derived pleasure from your reporting on the stupid things that others do. I think that fits the spirit of schadenfreude quite nicely.

Posted by: suze at March 2, 2007 10:42 AM

Yes, penguins with munchies - kind of like dogs with hangovers, not that I've ever given my dogs alcohol or anything.

Posted by: Heather at March 2, 2007 10:59 AM

One has to wonder if they will throw a joint at an animal, what would they do with a kid? Doesn't Kate Moss have a child?

Posted by: Maribeth at March 2, 2007 11:55 AM

Instead of asking what is wrong with Pete Doherty maybe we should ask what's wrong with Kate Moss!! She has a kid for crying out loud. What is she doing hanging around with this douche?

Posted by: Isabel at March 2, 2007 12:37 PM

Pete is pathetic. He looks like the walking dead in every single picture I see of him, and for the life of me I cannot see what attacts Kate to him. They drive me crazy.

It sucks, but I wasn't surprised in least when I heard about the VH tour being shut down. Some are born to rock, others are born to fight...

Posted by: mamatulip at March 2, 2007 1:17 PM

I agree with the others; I get plenty of pleasure out of you posting about stupid people to make it count.

I never really cared about Van Halen either way, but really... I think they should just be thankful that they still have any minute amount of relevance this long after hair bands died out, and suck it up and perform.

Posted by: Kate the Shrew at March 2, 2007 1:41 PM

Oooohhhh. I confess that I've been wondering what exactly the hell shadenfreude was, but was too lazy to walk my ass over to the reference room to find out.

And Doherty? Douchebag.

Posted by: Sphincter at March 2, 2007 3:27 PM

How do you pronounce it? Schadenfreude, I mean.

Posted by: Leilani at March 2, 2007 3:57 PM

As someone who was a huge fan way back in high school, I'm kinda glad old VH didn't go back out again. I'd rather leave 'em in high school, I think (and, it looks to me, where it seems they're also stuck...)

Posted by: L.A. Daddy at March 2, 2007 7:09 PM

I just saw him on Go Fug Yourself today. With his pasty white complexion and black euro-emo attire, I can see how the penguins would mistake him for one of their own. They must have thought he was a momma bird throwing them a fish or something.

Poor Kate Moss. But if I lost a hottie like Johnny Depp, I'd probably turn to herion and lower my standards too.

Posted by: krystyn at March 2, 2007 7:28 PM

While perusing Comedy Central, I saw a preview for David Spade's show....he was talking about schadenfreude. WTF? I think a lawsuit is in order....and David Spade reads your blog.

Posted by: Nanette at March 2, 2007 10:27 PM

As Horrid as what Pete did it's still pretty funny.
Sad about Val Halen though, it would have been great to witness a piece of history like that reunited.

Posted by: Toni-Marie at March 2, 2007 11:22 PM

Pete Doherty is a rather large tool. 'Nuff said.

(But I wonder if the penguin had happy feet?)

Posted by: Alyndabear at March 3, 2007 7:26 PM

In regards to Van Halen thought this would interest you http://perezhilton.com/topics/drugs/they_tried_to_make_him_go_to_rehaband_he_went_20070308.php#comments

Posted by: Toni-Marie at March 8, 2007 10:54 PM