March 1, 2007

A Post Like My Brain - Random

It's early, yet I'm wiped. And I have a two hour meeting that starts in a half hour. This won't be the best entry ever, so I'm going with the old bullet points.

• I might have mentioned this before, but my daughter is obsessed with salad dressing. But not any salad dressing. In order to meet with her approval, the salad dressing must be that of Mr. Paul Newman. She's learned to say Paul specifically so she may address the salad dressing. She often lavishes Paul with kisses. Last week, I mistakenly left the salad dressing out overnight. Since I'm weird about food and abide by directives such as refrigerate after opening, I threw the bottle away the next day. Last night, she demanded Paul. All I could give her was Ken. Ken was not acceptable and yielded a tragically sad face. Note to self: pick up Paul on the way home.

• News headlines have gotten stupid. Or just plain nonsensical. Take, for instance, Five kids die in icy pond, Scriptures in laps. What, precisely, does that mean? Or 200k dead, bone-thin babies, no charges. I'll be damned if that makes a bit of sense. How about Crooked Rep. goes country in jail e-mail? Did he journey to the country in random email musings? Or did he express a hankerin' to pluck the ol' banjo? Then there's Combine winners and losers. Since it's in the sports section of CNN, I'm guessing that they're talking about some new farming sport, maybe people jumping combines in their tractors. Or something. To follow-up on last week's Schadenfreude Friday, it's just another sign that the media doesn't think we're all that bright. Or doesn't care.

• The other night, I walked around the house for a good ten minutes trying to find the remote. If I only knew then what I know now. Check out the Remote Wrangler, a helpful and fashionable accessory to help you keep all your remotes at your fingertips. Want to know the sad thing? I think this is an actual invention someone thinks is a great idea. Something that is a great (although potentially dangerous) idea? The Roadmaster Scrolling Message System. Imagine the possibilities.

• I pass a firehouse on the way to work every morning. In front of the firehouse is a sign, one of the ones you can slide plastic letters into and change messages, which they do frequently. This morning, it read, simply, Be silly. Be honest. Be kind. Amen.

• I'm out of time. I have seven meetings and no brain. I feel stupid...and contagious.

Posted by Chris at March 1, 2007 7:15 AM
Comments

Here we are now, entertain us?

Posted by: Secha at March 1, 2007 7:47 AM

Be silly, be honest, be kind.

It needs to be on a t-shirt.

Hope your day goes alright and those meetings don't totally fry your brain.

Posted by: Alissa at March 1, 2007 8:04 AM

is it wrong that I liked the 'fro on the head?

re: The combine... you're being sarcastic right? EVERYONE knows the NFL scouting combine just wrapped up! ;)

Posted by: SciFi Dad at March 1, 2007 9:00 AM

Mia has good taste. I can't believe you tried to fob Ken off on her. Ken, my good man, is no Paul.

Posted by: Fraulein N at March 1, 2007 9:08 AM

I like silly, honest and kind. And I have to admit, I kinda like the scrolling message system. It would make road-tripping MUCH more fun:o)

I wonder how it would look on a baby stroller....

Posted by: Heather at March 1, 2007 9:20 AM

Also, I hope you feel less contagious soon!

Posted by: Heather at March 1, 2007 9:22 AM

Be Silly. Be Honest. Be Kind. My new motto in life...

Is it just me or does this feel like the longest week in all of weekdom? Can it hurry up and be Saturday already?

Posted by: suze at March 1, 2007 9:22 AM

Okay, now I've got that song running through my head. I suspect it will haunt me all day.

Think it's possible Paul reminds Mia of a grandparent? He is kinda hot -- she obviously has good taste.

Love the firehouse sign -- makes you wonder what prompted their putting up the sign. I'm betting someone on the brigade was being VERY silly!

Posted by: coolchick at March 1, 2007 9:24 AM

i've got a great headline for you:

Posted by: ali at March 1, 2007 9:28 AM

Huh, funny. I kiss Paul every time I see him too.

Posted by: Amber at March 1, 2007 9:42 AM

I covet that remote control holder.

Posted by: ann adams at March 1, 2007 9:43 AM

yeah. i think my iq dropped a few points after reading your entry ...

NOT

(wow - look at me pulling out the 80s reference!)

Posted by: s@bd at March 1, 2007 9:57 AM

I think its more that the media isn't all that bright than them thinking we're not :)

Posted by: christina at March 1, 2007 10:02 AM

Funny you should say that you feel "contagious" because I just posted a blog titled just that. LOL.

And talk about headlines, you should check out what my friend encountered the other day. *warning* Not kids friendly: http://thatfuckinguy.com/?p=176

Posted by: oakley at March 1, 2007 10:16 AM

I read most of those headlines on CNN too, and was completely confused by them. They really don't make sense.

As for salad dressing, I'm more of a Ken kind of girl than a Paul one. Maybe if you introduce her to the light Caesar by Ken she'll be a convert too. It's my absolute favorite. That and the light ranch. Strangely enough I have a craving for salad right now.

Posted by: Jessie at March 1, 2007 10:17 AM

Loved the remote thing. I'm still laughing.

My motto lately has been Live, Love and Laugh.

Posted by: Diane at March 1, 2007 10:40 AM

Wait. You're picking up Paul Newman on the way home? I had no idea it was that easy or I would have tried long ago. Mmmm. Newman's Own Ranch is out of this world.

Posted by: wordgirl at March 1, 2007 11:01 AM

OMG... that remote thingy site... one of the things you can use it hold is junk food... is anyone that pathetic they can't hold thier own bag of chips? Ugh...

Those headlines made no sense to me either...

We are big Ken fans, but they don't put his face on the bottle... I can see why she would have been disappointed.

Cool sign. Great idea.

Posted by: Karen at March 1, 2007 11:41 AM

I can't believe somebody actually came out with that Roadmaster Scrolling Message System. I fantasized about building such a thing for YEARS.

Of course, as soon as somebody winds up getting killed because somebody flashed the "wrong" message to the "wrong" driver who then killed him... they will most likely become banned.

Posted by: JayMonster at March 1, 2007 11:49 AM

Oh now that's great! It will make a wonderful hat for next years hat celebration! Yes, a remote control hat!
About Mia's love for Paul. ( can totally relate. Except my great love was for Paul McCartney! And in many ways, after all these years, it still is!

Posted by: Maribeth at March 1, 2007 1:21 PM

That's some pretty sweet headgear. You should look into it :P After all, you really seem to enjoy putting things on your head! ;-)

Posted by: Heather at March 1, 2007 1:40 PM

Here we are now...

Posted by: Adam at March 1, 2007 2:32 PM

I have a bone to pick with headline writers, too. The other day, I shit you not, one of the headlines said "Crappy Grades... something something" I don't remember the rest. I realize that we are a very casual society, but shouldn't the news TRY to uphold some semblance of formality in their language. Crappy is a slang word. Why stop there? Why not "Shitty grades..."? Seriously. I'm no prude and I swear like a sailor, but c'mon. At least write like a grown up instead of an 8th grader on MySpace.

I blame bloggers! We have created such competition for the news, they feel they have to lure us in with casual, and frankly, crappy language!!

Posted by: trix at March 1, 2007 4:50 PM

That "Remote Wrangler" is seriously designed to give brain surgeons business methinks.

Posted by: E :) at March 1, 2007 5:27 PM

In Journalism they told us 60% of what you read is crap/made up. And they purposely dumb down the sports section because it's readers aren't generally as bright, and don't need sophisticated terms and knowledge.
Don't take that as fact, but that is what my Journalism teacher was spouting, althought sometimes I think 70% of the stuff that comes out of his mouth is crap too.

Posted by: Toni-Marie at March 1, 2007 6:42 PM

Five kids die in icy pond, Scriptures in laps.

Happened about 45 minutes from me. The two kids in front died instantly. The 3 kids in the back could not get out and died clutching their bibles underneath 20 feet of icy water. Don't know why they didn't try to kick windows out or something...but they were very young kids and probably completely terrified.

Posted by: Leilani at March 1, 2007 7:31 PM

Does it count if your are kinda silly or kinda honest?

Posted by: Sphincter at March 1, 2007 10:30 PM

Uh, I just read the comment right before my last one and now I feel kinda like a big asshole. Sorry.

Posted by: Sphincter at March 1, 2007 10:31 PM

What in the hell is that remote thing and why do I have a sudden urge to buy it for my husband for his birthday?

Posted by: Peggy at March 1, 2007 10:35 PM

I firmly believe that meetings should never last for more than an hour and they should always provide food. You tell them I said so.

We have a cleaning lady who comes once a month, named Beatrice. Yesterday, she left her sweater here and since then,my son has been pointing to it constantly, telling me, "Be tur!". I know it's Beatrice's sweater, Sam. She'll pick it up next month! I need to hide it in the closet. You may want to buy a case of "Paul."

Posted by: Annie at March 1, 2007 11:05 PM

I think the proof readers union is on strike. I have been noticing crap like that everywhere I look lately. There was one on the CNN ticker the other night, I wish I could remember it, I laughed for hours!

Posted by: Jeff A at March 2, 2007 12:38 AM

The remote wrangler does look quite fashionable. If only it told me which remotes did which things, I'd be sold.

Posted by: angela at March 2, 2007 9:05 AM

Darn it all! I had the idea for that scrolling sign thing forever ago...I really ought to have done something about it then. Of course I would have meant for the messages to be kind, like a "thank you" when someone lets me in...I know, how very Canadian of me.

Hey! I got married! Read all about it on my little corner of the blogosphere. Woot, I'm a Mrs.! Hope you and yours are well.

Posted by: Tamara the Straight Poop at March 2, 2007 7:53 PM

If you are in the corner and have no cash to get out from that point, you will require to take the credit loans. Because it would help you for sure. I get consolidation loans every year and feel myself fine because of this.

Posted by: Delacruz20Valarie at March 6, 2010 10:23 AM