March 30, 2007

Schadenfreude Friday: Spectacular Crashes

In the it could just be a publicity stunt but even if it is it's still damn funny category, we have Eddie Griffin, funny man and terrible driver.

Eddie Griffin crashed a rare Ferrari Enzo worth more than $1 million into a concrete barrier while practicing at a racetrack Monday, destroying the car but escaping uninjured.

The comedian was practicing for a charity race to promote his upcoming film, "Redline," when he drove too fast around a curve at the Irwindale Speedway. Video footage showed the red sports car screeching before it ricocheted off the barrier with heavy damage to its front.

"Undercover Brother's good at karate and all the rest of that, but the brother can't drive," Griffin, referring to one of his past films, said after the accident.

Eddie's credits include the intellectual hit Deuce Bigalow, the brilliant Date Movie and this year's sleeper hit, Norbit. Honestly, it shouldn't have come as any surprise that, given his track record, the dude's judgment isn't so hot.

One of the best stories of the week flew below the radar for the most part.

Scott Weiland may not have had the best of weekends. The Velvet Revolver singer fought with his wife in a hotel, leaving the room trashed, and his wife allegedly burned his clothes. Burbank, California, police Sergeant Mathew Ferguson says Weiland and his wife, Mary, got into an argument at a boutique hotel that left two rooms vandalized. Police were called there on Saturday afternoon.

Police found both rooms had damage and items were scattered and plates were broken. He says Mary Weiland is a suspect in the vandalism, but Scott is not. No charges were filed and it's up to the hotel to decide if it wants to press charges. Police were then called to the Weilands' home in suburban Los Angeles on a report of a woman burning clothes in a trash can Saturday night. Ferguson says Scott Weiland claims the clothes are worth $10,000.

Mary Weiland has been booked for investigation of felony arson. The couple's two children, ages four and six, are staying with friends of the family.

Later
Scott Weiland's wife said an imbalance of medications for bipolar disorder caused rowdy behavior that left hotel rooms trashed and led to her arrest for allegedly torching the Velvet Revolver rocker's clothes.

"The weekend's difficulties were brought on by a reaction to an imbalance in medications used to treat my bipolar disorder," she said in a statement released Tuesday by the couple's spokeswoman, Bryn Bridenthal. "Reports that we were fighting at the Graciela Hotel are untrue," she said. "Scott was simply trying to help me calm down. I want to make it very clear that he did not hurt me in any way. For lack of a better expression, I was unstable and just lost it," she said.

Who knew Mary was such a bi-polar bear who'd come unglued like seven caged tigers. I guess when your brain goes haywire like trippin' on a hole in a paper heart, you can pretty easily reduce your plush hotel room to still remains like a silvergun superman. Can you imagine all the other guests just lying there going, "hello, it's late, too late for a tumble in the rough." Scott should have whipped out a guitar and sung an interstate love song, or, better, a song for sleeping for the sour girl and let her glide off into a big empty sleep. At least it wasn't a sex type thing.

Sorry. I geeked out with Stone Temple Pilots songs there for a second.

Posted by Chris at March 30, 2007 7:15 AM
Comments

Bipolar? Is that what those crazy kids are calling heroin these days?

Posted by: Sarah, Goon Squad Sarah at March 30, 2007 8:27 AM

Chris, what? No velvet revolver references? About how she "falls to pieces" and made such a "spectacle" of herself? Scott must be staying just to "do it for the kids" which is a "superhuman" feat in itself.

Nothing like a morning music geek-out. Love it!

Posted by: Jennifer at March 30, 2007 8:52 AM

All the guys at my office were very sympathetic about this guy getting his Ferrari smashed up, and I just didn't get it. I mean, boo-fucking-hoo. Schadenfreude indeed.

Posted by: Holmes at March 30, 2007 9:40 AM

Poor Weiland. He finally gets off the heroin only have his wife go nutbar on him.

Jennifer beat me to the Velvet Revolver song references...so I'll leave that alone.

Posted by: bad penguin at March 30, 2007 10:08 AM

I don't care much for Eddy. But dude. The Enzo!!

STP rules. Always reminds me of the guy I had a crush on in high school. His band--before they booted him out--covered a lot of STPs. :)

Posted by: oakley at March 30, 2007 10:39 AM

Hmm, since I work at a mental health facility, most of the time if you're taking your medication when you're prescribed to, you don't have such "imbalances", oh and I don't know if she was drinking at the time, but booze and psych pills don't mix either. And cry me a frikkin river about the Ferrari! It wasn't even his! "The Enzo, valued at around $1.5 million, was owned by the executive producer of “Redline,” Daniel Sadek"

Posted by: Michelle at March 30, 2007 10:45 AM

I love how his wife took the fall for this one. I mean, we wouldn't want to ruin Scott's prestine image now, would we?!

Happy Friday. Hope you guys have a great weekend planned.

Posted by: Isabel at March 30, 2007 10:54 AM

Heh...love the STP references!!

Posted by: Sue R. at March 30, 2007 11:04 AM

That's okay though, as long as you don't start with Bananarama or Oingo Boingo, I can survive.

Posted by: andy at March 30, 2007 11:25 AM

Heh.

Posted by: sue at March 30, 2007 12:05 PM

I smell another celeb rehab story... not!

Hey what about Al Gonzales' slow twist in the wind? I wonder how much more has to come out before the race card is thrown? He's a witch! A witch!

Posted by: Johnny Smoke at March 30, 2007 12:16 PM

Gotta love the STP piece at the bottom--geek on!!

Posted by: Liz at March 30, 2007 12:56 PM

I'd say a bit more than 'geeked out'.

Posted by: s@bd at March 30, 2007 2:46 PM

Not only is Gonzales twisting in the wind, it shouldn't take too much more before Bush "cuts" him loose...ala "Brownie" and "Rummie".

Posted by: wordgirl at March 30, 2007 3:00 PM

No comment from me; I'm the wrong generation. Just wishing all of you a great weekend and beautiful weather in which to enjoy it.

Posted by: ann adams at March 30, 2007 3:50 PM

First anniversary: you get a paper gift. Twentieth you get china. Fiftieth is, of course, gold. Trashing boutique hotel rooms, I believe, is for your fourth anniversary. Or is fourth anniversary burnt clothes? I always get those confused.

Posted by: Librarian Girl at March 30, 2007 6:09 PM

I totally think the Enzo crash was a publicity stunt -- it probably wasn't even a real Enzo.

Love the early morning STP and Velvet Revolver references. Thumbs up.

Happy weekend!

Posted by: coolchick at March 30, 2007 7:02 PM

Oh, how's this for schadenfreude? http://www.thestar.com/article/196773

Yes, the queen, Tony Blair, and all sorts of people whose wealth was augmented (if not based upon) the slave trade, in a pompous forgiveness ceremony, and then it's crashed by a protester who calls them on their unwillingness to actually apologize.

Schadenfreuderific! (Though it would have been much better if slavery had never happened at all ...)

Enjoy your blog muchly!

Eclecta

Posted by: Eclecta at March 30, 2007 7:32 PM

STP was and still is one of my favorites.
I love how that crash guy refers to himself in the third person.
Have a great weekend.
greenie

Posted by: greenie at March 31, 2007 11:29 AM

Love the STP geek out. And the addition of the Velvet Revolver geeks in the comments.

That Scott Weiland is so frickin hot. Yum.

Posted by: Julie at March 31, 2007 5:08 PM

I found that odd that she blamed "completely losing" it on being bipolar. I don't know much about being bipolar but her behavior seemed beyond "losing it." And beyong Bi-polar. But what the hell do I know?

Posted by: motherofbun at April 1, 2007 4:34 PM

You know, I saw Scott Weiland up close & personal last summer (aka, I was staying at the same hotel as him) -- including a set with Velvet Revolver near the hotel pool -- and he seemed pretty friggin' cool. Or maybe it was just the "he's a rock star, and therefore automatically gains 3,000 attractive guy points" thing...

Posted by: sandra at April 1, 2007 4:50 PM