March 12, 2007

Weekend Recap: When Time Attacks!

Those of us here in the States (what do you Canadians do? I'm curious!) got to screw around with our clocks a little early this year, courtesy of our Fearless Leader Dubya and his ingenious revised daylight savings time plan. Now, I know the intent is to save energy and, in turn, money, but tell that to all the poor bastards who've had to patch hundreds of thousands of computers and applications to make this work. And while you're at it, tell all the folks who're going to miss appointments today because not everything worked quite the way it should. Oh, hell with them. The bottom line is that somewhere in the dark chilly hours of Sunday morning, I lost an hour. And I want it back. Really. Now, please.

See, this week isn't going to be a hell of a lot of fun. Quite the contrary. I'll be tied up in meetings all day almost every day. Monday? Meetings until 5:00. Tuesday looks okay but Wednesday's pretty bad. Thursday? I don't want to think about Thursday. Friday's still an unknown. At the very least, I'll be able to sit in these meetings reflecting fondly on weekend memories.

[Cue screen fade and cheesy flashback music...]

Friday evening found my flying solo. Beth met a friend for coffee whilst I tried a solo attempt getting Mia to bed. Bedtime hasn't exactly been a dad-friendly event recently. I didn't think my chances were at all good. I should have been more optimistic. It went wonderfully. We ate dinner, we played, we got into our jammies and danced to Radiohead then I got Mia into bed and she never made a peep. The rest of the evening was spent catching up on a fairly neglected cache of shows recorded by my buddy TiVo.

Saturday and Sunday brought blue skies and warm weather. We were playground-bound. Many outdoor pictures were taken, although none have been sucked from my camera to my computer, and those two days gave me the hope that spring is just around the corner. Watch, there's going to be a totally unexpected blizzard this afternoon.

Better than all the blue skies in the world - not to mention the post of mushroom risotto and chili we whipped up - was the fact that Mia slept through the night with nary a peep on Saturday. Starting around 4:00 on Sunday morning, I actually started to get worried. At 6:00 I woke up with her finger in my nose dispelling any concerns I might have had. That pretty much set the tone for Sunday actually.

[Re-cue screen fade and cheesy flashback music...]

So, here I sit, trying to get prepared for the week unfolding in front of my. My Outlook calendar is scary and I think it might actually be laughing at me. Juan Valdez better get his coffee-making ass in gear and kick coffee production into over drive. I'm going to need it. Wish me luck, too. I have a feeling I'll need a bit of that too.

Posted by Chris at March 12, 2007 8:11 AM
Comments

I tied posting a comment an hour ago...but those damn IT people messed it up somehow.:)

Posted by: William at March 12, 2007 8:21 AM

I know how you feel. I start my new job today. I'm so screwed - didn't sleep a wink last night. Why are first days always so damn hard and terrifying? This is about the 22nd first day I've had since pre-school. So, yeah. Not sure why I'm still a ball of anxiety. I hope you have a good week and that you get through it in one piece.

Posted by: Jurgen Nation at March 12, 2007 8:22 AM

Most Canadians got to screw around with our clocks too. Sorry it caused you pain in the patching department.

Posted by: Kim at March 12, 2007 8:35 AM

I hate meetings. HATE them. Eugh. I always "forget" to go to non-essential ones and don't care if people hate me for it! Bureaucracy drives me mad.

And how's learning how to put away your coffee cup going? (Heh.)

Happy Monday!

Posted by: E :) at March 12, 2007 8:36 AM

Hang in there, Chris. Just like bedtime, perhaps you should be a little more optimistic?

Posted by: Alissa at March 12, 2007 8:38 AM

Good luck on your crazy week! Poor you - do you ever do anything but sit in meetings? But hey, for your amusement, I will tell you about my "bad" dream - I was in line at Krispy Kreme, and I couldn't find my license to prove I was really who my card says I am - I kept pulling out old photographs out of my wallet and saying, "See, it's me, I promise." They were a little pissed.

Posted by: Sam at March 12, 2007 8:43 AM

I was one of the poor bastards patching pcs. All of the pcs worked, but the Network Admin forgot to patch our time server. Stupid Daylight Savings.

Posted by: Josh at March 12, 2007 8:47 AM

I seem to be one of the few that thought it was great to have the extra daylight in the evening. Couldn't possibly have been Bush's idea. He's never had an idea in his life.

How would you feel about moving to Arizona? I think they stay on Standard Time year around.

And yes, Canada moves their time back and forth. I think some of Europe does too, like the U.K.

And Australia although their Daylight Time begins in our fall.

Beautiful weekend here too. Took the 3 girls bowling. That would really have given you something to write about. Never stand behind a novice bowler. Our Rochelle (12) managed to throw the ball backwards.

Posted by: ann adams at March 12, 2007 9:18 AM

I especially hated DST this year, because my husband had to be at the airport at 6 Sunday morning (he's gone to Mexico, the bastard!). Which means we were up at 4. By the time I was leaving the grocery store at 7 am and it was still dark out, I was really wanting that hour back.

Posted by: jaime at March 12, 2007 9:24 AM

I HATE when they mess with the clocks. It's bad enough us adults have to get used to it (you know, look at the clock... figure out what time it USED to be and what time it is NOW...) but kids and critters? Impossible. They have no clock to look at. Basically, they're screwed.

Posted by: sue at March 12, 2007 9:30 AM

I hate DST. I can't even talk about it without degenerating into sailor-speak.

Posted by: Leah at March 12, 2007 9:32 AM

we follow the US with this new early time change...

the only way it has affected us is that my nanny had to wake my son up for school this morning! insane!

Posted by: ali at March 12, 2007 9:39 AM

yeah, the canadians move forward and back in conjunction with the states. which meant we had to be springing forward earlier this year too, thanks to the US. Why can't we just leave well enough alone and not bother moving the clock at all. Really, you'd think time was some arbitrary concept or something :p

Posted by: suze at March 12, 2007 9:53 AM

You're so polite. I'm not saying please. I want my hour back immediately.

Sending good vibes your way.

Posted by: Maria at March 12, 2007 11:00 AM

Our springing forward went smoothly, gave me a chance to dust the clocks.

BTW, hasn't daylight savings ran it's course? We're not a nation of farmers anymore.

Posted by: whit at March 12, 2007 11:03 AM

Awesome weekend! Same here, actually. Kids were made for the outdoors, and happy kids = happy parents.

Yes, I was among the many who had to patch java on servers (again), and am dealing with some overrun. However, I'm happy about the extra weeks of daylight in the evening.

Posted by: Brad at March 12, 2007 12:09 PM

Chris, I'm going to help you out here buddy. I can help you make the meetings go away. All you will have to do is follow this little chunk of advice:

Two words "Smith & Wesson"
Well three if you count the ampersand thing, but I don't!

Anywho, that sounds scary but don't worry. You don't have to shoot anyone or even really make a threat. All you do is pull that 45 out about mid-meeting and say that you think the meeting is over. I am sure they will take your advice at that time. They may even cancel all meetings for the rest of the day, just for you!

Posted by: Jeff A at March 12, 2007 1:38 PM

Benjamin Franklin can kiss my ass for coming up with this ridiculous idea of DST. And there is a special place in hell for the congress who passed the new legislature.

Good luck with your meetings. I know they are drag and a half but there is light at the end of the tunnel. Saturday is only 5 days away.

Maybe that light is an oncoming train though. In which case... it was nice knowing you!!

Congrats on the all-night sleep! That is a treat in itself!! w00t!

Posted by: trix at March 12, 2007 1:44 PM

Speaking of Jan Valdez... My mother found some guy (one of those somebody who knows somebody things) to dig a 61' x 4ish' flowerbed in my backyard. Juan Valdez, as she called him, was late showing up, and when he did arrive, the only thing he knew how to say was "Yes." It was a nightmare. We're getting second and third bids mainly because we're not confident he knows what the hell we want him to do.

Posted by: Emily at March 12, 2007 1:52 PM

I was love-love-loving the weather this weekend. :)

Posted by: Zandria at March 12, 2007 1:56 PM

here in canada, we moved the clock too.

look at me, acting like i'm one of them already! :)

Posted by: jodi at March 12, 2007 2:57 PM

So....you're saying you're a little busy, then...?

Posted by: Beth at March 12, 2007 3:10 PM

I've been upgrading our JDK on our servers since October, and we still had 5 last minute apps that claimed they didn't know. Good thing I kept all the emails that went out.
I wish I had taken advantage of the fact that Outlook had me marked as out of the office today.. I had taken Friday off, and marked myself unavailable for the whole weekend.. well DST made my Out of Office bleed into today.. Unfortunately for me, no one knew I was even IN the office until 1:30 this afternoon.. my team thought I was out!
:-)

Posted by: Molly at March 12, 2007 3:38 PM

Thanks to the good ol' US we got to spring ahead early this year. I wish we would just lose the whole changing clocks around, it really messes with you especially when you have to get up Sunday morning to work! I liked living up in Fort St. John, there they don't change there clocks, it was nice.

Posted by: Adi at March 12, 2007 3:44 PM

Can someone please explain to me WHY we have to "spring forward" and "fall back"...why can't we just plunk our asses down directly in the middle and stay there?

Posted by: Randi at March 12, 2007 4:26 PM

Last week was a week like that for me. Good luck and my sympathies! I know it's not much of a consolation but by Friday you'll be all psyched that you grabbed this week by its bad-ass throat and conquered it ferociously! Bwa ha ha!

(Sorry, I'm still a little giddy last week is over.)

Posted by: the weirdgirl at March 12, 2007 6:22 PM

It sounds like Wednesday would be a good time to treat yourself to a donut and some Dunkin Donuts coffee. Something to look forward to.

Posted by: Annie at March 12, 2007 7:20 PM

I'd like my hour back too, please. Whenever you figure out who to talk to about that, let me know.

Posted by: angela at March 12, 2007 8:30 PM

Wishing you luck.

And yes, I don't think there's enough hours in the day the way it is... I want that hour back too. WITH INTEREST!

Posted by: motherofbun at March 12, 2007 8:53 PM

Are ya sure it was Dubya who made the time change earlier this year? never heard of that!? We also changed our clocks (I guess it'd be weird if we didn't also...). I feel so stupid right now -- this just seems like a stupid comment.... Anyway. This damn time change has thrown my monkey totally out of whack. I'm a wreck right now.

Glad Mia slept through the night! Funny you woke with a finger up your nose -- GREAT visual! ;)

Posted by: Haley-O at March 12, 2007 10:19 PM

i'm with Suze & Randi

Posted by: s@bd at March 13, 2007 12:11 AM

You'll survive your week if you just keep your sights on what awaits you at the end.

Good luck with all the meetings.

Posted by: nila at March 13, 2007 5:01 AM

trying to catch up on reading your blog...for some reason i still don't get it on this email anymore...maybe work is blocking it...those bastards!! but anywho...you made me chuckle with your Juan Valdez comment: "Juan Valdez better get his coffee-making ass in gear and kick coffee production into over drive"...funny b/c isn't he the guy with an ass (donkey) that goes up the hills to get the coffee? so yeah, i guess he'd better get his ass in gear! haha...ok, now that i read that, that was stupid, but whatever, it's thursday anyway!! :)

Posted by: Michelle at March 14, 2007 2:34 PM