March 26, 2007

Weekend Recap: The Road Trip Edition

Since you and I last saw each other, a lot has happened. Specifically, in the past couple of days, the Cactus-Fish clan has:

• Put 800 miles on our car;
  • Spent a couple nights in a hotel;
  • Surprised my grandmother by making it to Ohio for her 90th birthday party;
  • Celebrated my dad's birthday with an impromptu surprise party at a road-side rest stop in, I think, West Virginia;
  • Seen more people to whom I happen to be related than I thought possible;
  • Visited the church my grandfather helped build in which my parents got married;
  • Witnessed my mom get really drunk;
  • Discovered that my daughter is the best traveler in the world.

It's understandable that I'm a little worn out then, right? The good news? I took the day off. I'll be over here relaxing while you guys work. I think I deserve it.

More details (and pictures) on the trip tomorrow. Meanwhile, what did you guys do with your weekends?

Posted by Chris at March 26, 2007 7:50 AM
Comments

Bullet points are fine. I don't lose my place that way.

Looking forward to more details tomorrow though.

Posted by: ann adams at March 26, 2007 8:01 AM

Celebrated my birthday on Saturday with dinner and an art opening.

Posted by: wordgirl at March 26, 2007 8:18 AM

Well, I mowed the lawn. And played on the trampoline. Nothing quite as exciting as your weekend. Glad you had a good time--look forward to photos/details!

Posted by: Alissa at March 26, 2007 8:22 AM

The cat tripped me, I think on purpose, so now I have a badly bruised hip.

Posted by: Nicole at March 26, 2007 8:31 AM

Sounds like a fun weekend; it's important for kids to see their grandparents loaded at least once in their lives.

We did a little easter egg colouring (highly recommend you try it with Mia... the kit we used was really easy for our daughter to handle) and we actually met up with another blogger. I wrote about it over at my place.

Posted by: SciFi Dad at March 26, 2007 8:37 AM

friday night was an adventure involving red wine, martinis, and the emulation of vermeer's "girl with a pearl earring" completely accidentally in a scottish pub. however, the length of saturday and sunday was spent researching and partially writing a music paper comparing the symphonic innovations of haydn and beethoven, distinguishing both men as classicists...yet something more.

not terribly exciting, and certainly not on par with a grandmother's ninetieth! that's amazing.

Posted by: meg at March 26, 2007 8:37 AM

Let's see, walked the puppies, played with them, then walked the puppies again, then played, then walked them again.
That was Saturday morning.
The rest of the weekend was pretty much like that, but with the usual, laundry, cooking and sleeping thrown in.

Posted by: Maribeth at March 26, 2007 8:42 AM

Fortunately, I have Sunday and Monday as my weekend and therefore, can be grateful I am also not at the salt mines today.

Congrats on what sounds like a busy yet fun-filled weekend.

Cheers,
JJ

Posted by: JJ at March 26, 2007 9:02 AM

We bought a couch this weekend. I know, you're evious of my life and all it's excitements...

Posted by: suze at March 26, 2007 9:16 AM

The most strenuous thing I did this weekend was cry while watching Babe for the first time in years.

That'll do, Pig. That'll do. (sob)

Other than that? Bupkus, baby.

Posted by: Contrary at March 26, 2007 9:17 AM

how lucky for you. my kids are shitty travellers...although now that we have a dvd player in our car, things have gotten easier!

Posted by: ali at March 26, 2007 9:17 AM

Weekend of wheels it seems. Since you asked, I spent the weekend learning to ride a motorcycle. I feel like I need a vacation too... but I'm at work, you enviable rat, you. :)

Sounds like a good outing... and wow, it's so green in the pic there. We're still all brown and wintery here in Ontario.

Posted by: martin at March 26, 2007 9:27 AM

sounds like a great trip!

this was the first weekend in over a month that didn't bring work home with me, so it was a good family weekend, capped off with a nice long father/son walk long the Merrimack. Oh, and I got a chance to break in my new D50

Posted by: jason at March 26, 2007 9:32 AM

How lovely! As for me, the better question would be what didn't I do this weekend?

Posted by: angela at March 26, 2007 9:32 AM

I folded, wafered, labeled and stamped 850 newsletters for an alumni association that I am the secretary of. I need another weekend to recover from my weekend. :p

Posted by: Hope at March 26, 2007 9:51 AM

Oh, and I made $40 busking in the MBTA. That part of the weekend was awesome!

Posted by: Hope at March 26, 2007 9:52 AM

Wow, sounds like a fun-filled weekend! But what's up with a picnic area built on crop circles? Can't wait to see more pics from the trip.

This weekend? Me? A couple of my girlfriends threw a little party to sort of launch my new online business (www.charmedtomeetyou.net), get the word out and show off my products a little bit. It was fun, and we had a good crowd show up. Then my girlfriends and I went out to dinner. Sunday, I relaxed and then tensed up, as I watched my beloved Tarheels lose to the Hoyas. A sad day indeed. We had a good run while it lasted, though.

Enjoy your Monday off!

Posted by: coolchick at March 26, 2007 9:54 AM

-Woke up and smelled the coffee
-Thwarted evil at every opportunity
-Bit my tongue
-Stopped to smell the roses
-Didn’t cut my nose off despite my face
-Held my horses
-Took one for the team
-Confirmed that children are the future and…
-Caught up on TIVO.

Posted by: Johnny Smoke at March 26, 2007 9:58 AM

Enjoy your day off! I didn't travel anywhere, but did spend a lot of time running around doing family/friend stuff. I may have spent some time this morning lying (laying? why I am suddenly unable to conjugate that verb?) in my bed wishing I had the day off.

Posted by: bad penguin at March 26, 2007 10:01 AM

I think seeing your Mom off her rocker would have been great entertainment. No?

I found out this weekend my twelve year old has a truckers mouth.

Posted by: BID at March 26, 2007 10:03 AM

I had major dental surgery...also took today off. Road trip sounds so much better!

Posted by: Wicked H at March 26, 2007 10:08 AM

Oy!!!!!!!!!! Too much cuteness. She and the monkey would TOTALLY be hilarious together.

Posted by: Haley-O at March 26, 2007 10:12 AM

I was a little concerned because at first glance of the top picture, I thought Beth was curled up in the fetal position on the right side of the bed - but then I realized it was probably a blanket, since Beth wouldn't have a green-checked robe, right?

Anyway, sounds like a lot of fun - you guys deserved it!

Posted by: SpaceCase at March 26, 2007 10:23 AM

Aww. How cute of Mia! How much fun you guys had!

Weekend was nice, quiet and relaxing. Errands. Dinner with friends. Until Sunday, bad news about my mom threw me on an emotional roller coaster. Still on it now.

But Mia's picture right there makes me smile. So, that's one battle won for the day. :)

Posted by: oakley at March 26, 2007 11:05 AM

Awww - v. cute!

We went to (and sneezed our way thru) a pet expo and hit a winery or 2 since we were out near some of the VA wine country on Saturday and attempted (!) to install a new foyer light on Sunday. Eep.

Posted by: Sue R. at March 26, 2007 11:26 AM

I learned that I caused a family scandal with an entry on my blog. I don't really fucking care; I'm tired of censoring myself.

I also ate really good food and drank really good wine and wanted really badly to tell my mother-in-law and brother-in-law to get the hell out of my house. Not for anything they did, I was just sick of people.

Posted by: candace at March 26, 2007 12:09 PM

I had a couple of friends come into town for the weekend, one expected, one not. Thusly, I hung out with friends a lot. I also got to drive in a huge circle last night (about 75 miles) from my house out to the coast then up to San Francisco to retrieve and return the jacket that my friend's girlfriend left at a restaurant, since they were returning to San Diego early this morning.

Posted by: Judy at March 26, 2007 12:12 PM

A friend came into town to San Francisco and we went shooting all around the city. I visited the Golden Gate for the first time! And got pictures! That she's a friend is awesome, but that she's a friend who shares my passion for photography - out of this world awesome.

Posted by: Jurgen Nation at March 26, 2007 12:23 PM

Well, my weekends are four days long so I'm about half way through it. It rained like a mother here in Denver on Saturday and yesterday I cleaned. I'm going for the first bike ride of the season today.

Looks like you guys had an awesome road trip, I might be doing the same next weekend.

Posted by: Kyle I at March 26, 2007 12:28 PM

She just keeps gettin cuter and cuter! love the pix!!!
js

Posted by: 2faced at March 26, 2007 4:20 PM

My favorite relative to see drunk is my Grandma. She gets a little wine in her and Oooh-boy look out! Last time she drank she told me she loved me a dozen times and then started offering me furniture out of her house.

Posted by: Tink at March 26, 2007 4:57 PM

What?!???!? You made a trip to Ohio and didn't stop to see ME??!?? Sheesh... I see where I fall in the "priorities" list... ;-) Glad your travels went smoothly!

Posted by: ironic1 at March 26, 2007 6:32 PM

It's that time of the year...little league, little league, little league.

Posted by: Mammaloves at March 27, 2007 1:07 AM

I did a lot of eating and sleeping. It was perfection.

Posted by: nila at March 27, 2007 1:11 AM

I killed weeds! Wahoo, right?

We're preparing for a brand! new! flowerbed! I am very excited about this. This means that my yard will transform from Big Empty Box into Serene Flower Land. That is....if I can keep the little things alive.

Posted by: Emily at March 27, 2007 2:25 PM