April 24, 2007

Ripped From The Headlines

Maybe not ripped from the headlines but this did happen. In real life. Only not to me.

Let's say you're at a friend's house in a strange part of town. You're on your way out when you realize that you're not 100% sure how to get back to the highway. A friend offers to lead you in his car. You take him up on it and tail him back to the highway.

Halfway through the trip, seemingly out of nowhere, a car passes, does a complete 360-degree turn, wildly out of control, and clips the front of your car. Your airbags don't deploy and you realize quickly that you're okay. Your friend having seen this transpire in his rear-view mirror, pulls off a hundred feet ahead. You jump out of your car, announcing to him that you're fine. The driver of the out of control car does the same. The damage isn't insignificant but it's not terrible.

As you survey the damage and the other driver checks out his car, you pull out your cell phone and you call the police. After you hang up, the other driver walks over to you. "Listen, I have a problem. You called the police, right?" You reply that you did. "Look," the driver responds, "I've been drinking. When the cops get here, they're going to arrest me because it'll be the third time. They're going to lock me up. I'd like to call my wife if that's okay." And you tell him that, of course, it is.

Before too long, the driver's wife arrives. She's driving a mid-size SUV. She's well-dressed, clearly a professional. Between the two cars and the looks of both, it's clear they're not filthy rich but neither are they destitute. When the wife arrives, she heads straight for the three of you.

"If the police come, they're going to lock my husband up for a long time. I can't live without my husband. I know what he did is wrong and it's dangerous, but I'll give you $5,000 in cash right now if you just tell the police that I was driving. We're both covered by insurance and your car will be taken care of. I just can't have my husband in jail." And with that, she thrusts an envelope full of cash in your direction.

Do you take it?

Posted by Chris at April 24, 2007 7:22 AM
Comments

If put into the situation... I can't say that I would take it, but I can't say that I wouldn't take it, either. $5,000 is a lot of money, especially when it takes 4 1/2 months for me to earn that, and I can't hold onto money because of bills.

BUT, from an outsiders perspective... I don't think I would. Why? because it's wrong. The man already admited that he had been caught 2 other times by the police drinking and driving, so god knows how many other times that it has happened, and that he hadn't been caught. Who knows when the next time he'll get in an accident, and instead of me being in the car, it could have been my daughter or son (if I had one), or someone elses son or daughter, and they might not have been as lucky. How guilty would one feel, KNOWING that you could have stopped an innocent person from dying, if you had just had the police arrest him.

But, like I said, if I were having $5,000 shoved in my face... I can't quite say that I would turn it down. It would be hard. But morally, I wouldn't want to take the money.

Posted by: Secha at April 24, 2007 7:44 AM

Absolutely not. Drunk drivers kill people every day because of their selfishness and stupidity. He could have killed your friend! Not only would I not take the money, I'd tell the police that they offered me money to lie. I'd do everything I could to make sure he was arrested.

Posted by: Alissa at April 24, 2007 7:48 AM

nope ... too bad for them ... but the husband made his choice had the family will have to live with the consequences. They can better put that $5000 grand towards their lawyer. Aside from the fact that I despise DUI (is it that hard to either wait until you sober up, or call a cab, or have a designated driver?), I don't know them, or what type of scam they might be trying to pull. Sorry, not going to play along with the scam.

And yes, I would then be telling the cops everything - that the drunk clipped me, and that the wife tried to bribe me. If the wife tried to leave the scene after I refused the envelope, I'd kindly request that she remain on scene after placing her under citizens arrest for attempting to bribe me to hush up the DUI (which I'm pretty sure would be a felony on the insurance fraud alone).

BTW - thanks for having my friend come along to help escort me through the strange neighborhood, having the extra witness there will be useful when this goes to trial. So will you be revealing what the real life person did?

Posted by: Airwick at April 24, 2007 7:55 AM

I would not. The driver obviously has a drinking problem and needs help. He won't get that by covering it up with money! I would feel bad for being the one to put her husband behind bars, but I would feel a whole lot worse if he got in another accident and hurt someone else.

Posted by: Colleen at April 24, 2007 7:57 AM

So much thinking so early in the AM Chris. What are you trying to do to me?!

Money is nice, but I don't know if it's that nice. I'd really really awful if I traded someone's life (even the drunk's) for a wad of cash. I'd tell her to keep her money, I think.

What did the person (in real life) do?

Posted by: s@m at April 24, 2007 8:08 AM

Absolutely not. Drunk driving is something I have a major issue with. Its totally controllable and unneccesary. That would never stop a repeat drunk driver from doing it again, but next time someone might be killed. Plus how would the wife explain her other car being there??? Unless its KIT, it didnt drive itself there.....

Posted by: MadMom at April 24, 2007 8:39 AM

Nope.
It's fraud, so you're now liable for jail time or huge fines yourself.
Also? He's been drinking and he just nearly took the front end off of my car. He could have killed me. He could have killed others. This is his third offense? This is exactly the kind of person that *should* go to jail. Clearly he's not learning.

Posted by: Opal at April 24, 2007 8:43 AM

Being the Insurance Diva that I am - I would say NO WAY but put in the factor that 5K would do me a lot of good right now, I'd take it.

In all seriousness though, I would probably take pity on the poor woman and just do the favor and not take the money cause I'm a fool like that.

Posted by: Darla at April 24, 2007 8:49 AM

god damn! I dont know what to do. I do not want to take the money but I am afraid if I dont these two might have something else up their sleeve. Who calls there wife and she is able to produce $5000 cash before the cops arrive.

I am taking it and then telling the truth after the cops arrive because I am a better actor than a brave person.

Posted by: linda at April 24, 2007 8:50 AM

I just have to delurk for this one!!!

I believe I would take the $5000 in cash, and rat him out to the police for both driving drunk and attempted insurance fraud! He is then stuck twice! The police will already have him for driving drunk, and the insurance company has him on insurance fraud, hopefully keeping his dumb ass off our streets even longer!

Posted by: Scoe at April 24, 2007 8:52 AM

oh man.
Hmmm I hate confrontation like that.
I would be too chicken to say no.
But then I would probably blab to the cops because I'm a big baby.

Posted by: Pamalamadingdong at April 24, 2007 8:57 AM

You've been reading the Dilbert Blog too much these days, Chris.

But that being said, I'd probably say no. It would be too easy for them to claim I was extorting the money. Plus, even if they were "legit" with their offer, there's nothing binding them to keeping their word: what can I do afterwards... tell the police I lied to make money?

Posted by: SciFi Dad at April 24, 2007 8:57 AM

I would hope that I wouldn't take it. Taking the $5000 would do nothing to help that woman with her problem husband. And it would do nothing for your conscience if his 4th time ended up with one of your children's friends being killed by his selfish behavior.

I think I would just have to say as I turned down the money, “Your needs do not come above the needs of absolutely everyone else around you.”

At least that’s what I hope I would do.

Posted by: Kelly at April 24, 2007 8:59 AM

No. I've known people who were innocently killed by drunk drivers.

I'd be interested in hearing what people would do if there was more money in there though. What is the price of a clear conscience?

Posted by: Brad at April 24, 2007 9:03 AM

Oh man, that's a tough one this early in the morning. And I'm annoyed at myself because I'm finding it tough, because clearly the moral (according to my values anyway) answer is NO. Do not take the money, tell the cops exactly what happened, including the bit about them offering you money to lie.

However, I'm really bad with confrontation, and have an overdeveloped need to people please. Even with people I don't want to please. And I also have a giant student loan that $5000 would put a nice dent into.

So I'd like to say that I would say no and tell the cops everything, but I'm afraid the soft, wimpy, in need of cash side of me might say yes...

Posted by: suze at April 24, 2007 9:05 AM

I'd take the money and then rat them out. There's the moral issue at hand, plus the possibility that you could get busted for taking their bribe.

Plus, like Opal said, this guy so NEEDS to be in jail.

Posted by: Fraulein N at April 24, 2007 9:15 AM

No. Because next time he might actually kill someone. Problem or not, the man is still able to make a decision to not drink and drive and he's choosing to endanger his life and others. Stupidity like that deserves to be acknowledged. Maybe time locked up or in rehab would help him get his shit straight.

Posted by: patricia at April 24, 2007 9:23 AM

Money does not buy integrity. No way!

Posted by: Steff at April 24, 2007 9:23 AM

That was an interesting comment about the amount of money.

I don't think I'd do it, no matter how much money was involved but I'm glad no one ever offered.

Posted by: ann adams at April 24, 2007 9:24 AM

Definitely would not take the money. I believe a first drunk-driving offense should take away your license for a long, long time. A second offense should put you away in jail for even longer. Taking money would teach Mr. Blotto that he can pay his way out of punishment for which he so rightly deserves.

Posted by: Ross at April 24, 2007 9:25 AM

Although the money would be really helpful right now I'd have to pass. Drunk driving kills innocent people (and you/I could have been a statistic that night) and this guy needs the wake-up call.

Posted by: daisy at April 24, 2007 9:27 AM

I would take the cash. Tell the cops that the drunk dude was driving and when they say they gave me 5 g's I would deny it.

Posted by: William at April 24, 2007 9:28 AM

Nah, I personally couldn't live with the guilt knowing that he could cause some serious damage the next time. And I would also report that she tried to bribe me. They both need to learn that their money can't buy everything.

Posted by: donna at April 24, 2007 9:37 AM

Funny how they can shill out $5K to keep you quiet, but they couldn't use that money to get the guy into some drug and alcohol counseling? I say send the guy to jail, he's the type of person that is going to kill someone b/c of his actions (if he hasn't hurt someone already). You do the crime, you do the time, and he already had two prior offenses...Any one see a pattern??? Book 'em Dano.

Posted by: Michelle at April 24, 2007 9:40 AM

Well, since we're (presumably) going for total honesty here, $5000.00 would solve a lot of problems for me right now and I would probably take it.

However, *somebody* drove that second vehicle to the scene of the accident and if it wasn't the sober wife, well..it must have been the drunk husband. I'm sure the cops wouldn't take long to catch on to that, with a little nudge.

Posted by: Contrary at April 24, 2007 9:46 AM

Jeez, Chris. Isn't it a little early in the morning for moral dilemmas?

I'd like to say I'd refuse the money outright, but chances are I'd take it and then rat them out when the police show up. I hate confrontation, and I'd rather not spark one until the police are there to protect me.

Posted by: Kelly at April 24, 2007 9:50 AM

Nope. Wouldn't be ethical.

Posted by: Allan at April 24, 2007 9:53 AM

I can see why some people would be tempted to take the money, but although that amount of cash would be very useful to me I couldn't live with myself if I took the money and covered for the drunk guy. It would probably come back to haunt you, either from a legal perspective if the police found out you'd lied or from a human perspective - if this idiot wound up killing or seriously injuring someone, no amount of money would leave me with a clear conscience. I work in a hospital and see victims of crashes all the time, and really can't understand why someone would drive while drunk even once, never mind doing it repeatedly despite being caught time after time - this guy needs to learn a lesson and people covering up his wrecklessness will allow him to do this again.

Posted by: Emily at April 24, 2007 10:03 AM

I can't say I would accept it, either. I don't want to support drunk drivers in any way and if the guy has already been caught a few times doing it, he really needs to go to jail to learn his lesson. If he was drinking, then I am lucky to still be alive after the accident. It could have been a lot worse.
I'm also a really bad liar, and besides the whole dishonesty thing, I would die of guilt and/or fear that I would be found out by the police for accepting the bribe.
Money is just money. It's just not worth it.

Posted by: Sijbrich at April 24, 2007 10:09 AM

Nope. I would really love to have $5G's right about now, but I have kids and grandkids on the way. What If they are in the next car he hits while he is driving drunk?

Posted by: Kari at April 24, 2007 10:16 AM

Wow, your friend must live in the land where things that happen in movies actually happen to them. Simply put, it would be wrong to take the money, and it would be wrong to lie about it. Sure, you'd be saving this family some heartache, but if this is the guy's third DUI, then that means there will be a next time, and next time it may be fatal to somebody else. His wife's enabling his habit, and asking you to join in the enabling fun.

That being said, it would be tough to make that judgement call with all that post-accident adrenalin pumping, and with 5K staring me in the face, and with the guy's wife standing right there.

Posted by: Holmes at April 24, 2007 10:20 AM

Nope, I wouldn't fall for it. I'd immediately believe that it was part of some scam. I would however let the law enforcement officer know what had transpired, in case there was more to it. Perhaps they had tried this scam on other unsuspecting drivers in the recent past and the police were on the look out for them. Who knows. Either way, I would not take the bait.

Posted by: coolchick at April 24, 2007 10:21 AM

Sure. Just long enough to hand it to the police officer who should be arriving shortly.

Sorry, Ms. Co-dependent. Not on my watch.

Posted by: Pammer at April 24, 2007 10:32 AM

With time to strategize, I'd choose William's clever solution. In the moment, though, I wouldn't be able to think that "clearly." I'd be very tempted by the money, but would know what they were doing was wrong. I'd also be afraid of what people who could come up with $5K in cash that fast and who are under pressure could/would do to me if I didn't comply, so I'd probably keep them talking until the cops came, then regret not having taken the money as I blabbed the truth to the cops.

Like many of the other commenters, I have major (student) loan debt and the cash being waved in front of me, along with the illusion (or delusion, really) that I was "helping" this couple, would be very seductive. Still, there's no question in my mind that, objectively speaking, it would be completely wrong to comply with their request. The woman who says she can't live without her husband is delusional; she is just enabling him in his drinking problem. His behavior (aside from the drinking itself, he can't seem to keep from getting behind the wheel of a car after partaking) is dangerous to so many people beyond himself that he must be penalized and, hopefully, helped. If I allow him/them to walk away from this unpunished, I am equally as responsible as he is for the next person he hits who isn't so lucky to walk away unharmed.

Posted by: shelley at April 24, 2007 10:34 AM

Hell no! Let that drunk bastard rot in jail! Maybe he'll learn this time!

Posted by: Adam at April 24, 2007 10:39 AM

Oh snap, I like Pammer's answer!

Posted by: Adam at April 24, 2007 10:40 AM

Why, so he can do it again, and possibly kill someone next time. Fuck that, dude. He's better off in jail.

Posted by: statia at April 24, 2007 10:41 AM

No, wouldn't take it and sorry, but I would tell the cop what they tried to pull. I should hope they wouldn't get away with it - that could have turned into a deadly accident.

Posted by: sue at April 24, 2007 10:50 AM

If the guy and his wife didn't have a gun I would say no. If they did, all bets are off.

Posted by: Maribeth at April 24, 2007 10:56 AM

Tell the lady to get herself a real nice d*ldo with that cash because she's going to need it while her husband's in jail.

Are you kidding?? I mean, you're actually considering taking the money from a drunk driver who just now could've killed you--if not you, someone else??

Posted by: oakley at April 24, 2007 11:01 AM

Like a few people mentioned - not only would I not take it - I would tell the police what they offered. One of my best friends was killed by a drunk driver and she didn't get a second chance at anything.

Posted by: Sue R at April 24, 2007 11:04 AM

No way, I wouldn't take it. $5000 is not worth the guilt of knowing that this guy is going to drive drunk again and could possibly kill someone.

Posted by: Colleen at April 24, 2007 11:07 AM

Chris. I would do anything for $5000. Are you offering?

(seriously, I would SO take it in a heartbeat and never even think twice, but I am a whore!)

Posted by: andy at April 24, 2007 11:16 AM

um...this didn't REALLY happent to you, did it?

Posted by: ali at April 24, 2007 11:17 AM

nope

absolutely not - the guilt would kill me and anyone who thinks that they can buy their way out of trouble deserves what is coming - when I was 21 I was caught DUI, spent the night in jail and lost my license for a year. Lesson learned.

Posted by: Kathryn at April 24, 2007 11:17 AM

Just discussed this with a friend, and his response was: "I'd send the drunk to jail, but would make sure the wife had my number. She obviously has needs."

Posted by: leigh at April 24, 2007 11:20 AM

me too, I would stick with letting the police handle it. He needs to be taken to jail if this was his 3rd time!!! Get the loser off the roads & possibly save a life.
Interested to know what the person did??

Posted by: Danielle at April 24, 2007 11:33 AM

you know, at first I thought I might be able to empathize with the wife...I couldn't live without my husband either, than I thought, what the fuck am I thinking about? I'd have to tell the truth, but a lot of smart strategies listed above would be tough to pick through, these people are clearly desperate and who knows what else they'd resort to if the 5k didn't work?

Posted by: mox at April 24, 2007 11:53 AM

No, I don't take the money.

A very, very similar situation happened to me. As a matter of fact, I needed the money very badly, but I just couldn't do it.

In my story, there were 4 of us being bought off (about $5k each, I think. Since I didn't take it, I don't know the exact amount). I refused the money, and other people took it. I was pissed then, but I have a clear and clean conscience now while the others have huge regrets.

I have to say that I was really bitter about it for many years but now I am pretty proud of my decision. I would definitely do the same thing again.

Posted by: Trix at April 24, 2007 1:08 PM

Gah! What a conundrum.

I say no.

Posted by: Emily at April 24, 2007 1:10 PM

I think I'd be on the fence a lot more if it weren't his third offense. Send the guy to jail.

If it were the first time...I think I'd think about it a lot longer. Just being honest. But I'd have to be in the situation to really know.

Posted by: Kate at April 24, 2007 1:17 PM

I'd take it... and immediately hand it over to the police when they arrive. That way they can both go to jail together. The end. =)

Posted by: smoness at April 24, 2007 1:29 PM

Nah, and while I'd like to say no for purely ethical reasons, I KNOW that if I said yes some witness would come out of the woodwork to say, "I saw it all officer, HE was driving and SHE showed up later," and I'd be caught in the lie. No thanks! Better to decline and have a clear conscience and avoid trouble.
Of course, once all the insurance crap gets under way, that couple will have your name and address, so who knows what kind of retaliation may be in store. Shitty situation to be in all around!

Posted by: Jaycie at April 24, 2007 1:40 PM

I love William's answer. That would so be the way to go, lol. However, I don't deal well with pressure or confrontation. And I'm surprised no one sees what would happen if you said "Yes." The husband would obviously drive the SUV away before the cops showed up, so saying yes and then telling the cops what happened wouldn't work... So I would probably just mumble and make excuses or pretend to have a long conversation with my husband (I rarely drive anywhere without him, since if I have the car it means he's home), and just avoid the whole situation...

But it definitely begs the question, has this happened before? Does this woman and her husband keep that envelope tucked in a drawer? Have there been people who just said yes? Makes you wonder.

Posted by: Phoenix at April 24, 2007 1:45 PM

Tough one... Can I refuse the money but then SUE the drunkard and his wife for defamation of character? They assumed I was a dishonest person and made me look bad in front of my friend. That could work, right?

Posted by: GreenCanary at April 24, 2007 1:53 PM

Nope. Sorry to be cold about it, but it's not my problem and I refuse to be dragged into someone else's soap opera of a life.

Posted by: Jen at April 24, 2007 1:55 PM

Tempted? Yes. But a three-time drunk/drinking driver either needs a good drive-by ass whupping...or a stint in jail. Next time he might kill someone. And then how would you feel?

Posted by: wordgirl at April 24, 2007 2:09 PM

I wouldn't take the money--5 grand is SO not worth it (probably no amount of money would be, because frankly I'd be too paranoid that somehow it would come back to me and I'd get in trouble, not to mention the guilt of wondering if he ever hit and killed anyone else).

My response to them would probably be something like, "And who are we supposed to say was driving the OTHER car that's now sitting here, dumbshits?"

Posted by: Liz at April 24, 2007 2:18 PM

i don't think i could take it. i'm not very good at being bad, or doing the wrong and sneaky thing.

Posted by: jodi at April 24, 2007 2:45 PM

I'm pretty sure that I'd take the money and then rat him out anyway to the cops.
It's a win, win.

sorry, can't teach an old dog new tricks.
If it was anything but drinking and driving, they might have a legit deal........ but drinking and driving....no dice.

but I could use the 5 thou....really badly

Posted by: the speckledpup at April 24, 2007 2:54 PM

Man, it would be tempting. But I don't think I would - I would feel bad about sending the guy to jail, but I really, really wouldn't feel right about getting paid off.

Posted by: Dawn at April 24, 2007 2:58 PM

No way. The guy is going to do it again and maybe kill somebody. He's been caught 3 times already!

Posted by: Sphincter at April 24, 2007 4:41 PM

This one is easy.....
He goes to jail! I don't even think about it.
And I tell the cops what the wife did because she has supremely insulted my integrity, which isn't for sale at any price.

The other problem with taking the cash is....what if you do, and two weeks later he hits a car head on and kills a Mom and her twin 3 year old girls? How do you live with yourself after that?

They haven't printed enough money in the history of the world that would make that be O.K.

Easy call.

Posted by: Joe Norman at April 24, 2007 5:17 PM

That's when I would pick up the phone and call my Mom. That woman knows EVERYTHING. ;)

Now seriously... What's the catch?

Posted by: Tink at April 24, 2007 5:28 PM

Wow. That should be a really easy question? But no. I really, really would like to think that I wouldn't take it. Or maybe I'd take it, then tell the cops the truth anyway. I'm already being dishonest, so what the heck ;-) And what are they gonna say? Hey, we bribed her! Uh...yeah. Plus the evidence would back me up that he was driving. And how are they going to explain how her car got there anyway? Because either way he still gets caught drinking and driving.
But...yes. Complicated.

Posted by: Heather at April 24, 2007 5:55 PM

I'd say "Make it $20,000 and you have a deal."

Posted by: Sarah, Goon Squad Sarah at April 24, 2007 6:02 PM

I don't know that I could take it. If he killed the next person he did that to then I would feel responsible. Since they guy had done it twice before, he needs to be punished severelyfor drinking and driving. As much as I need the money right now...

Posted by: E :) at April 24, 2007 6:06 PM

No way Jose. No good can come from enabling that kind of thing.

Posted by: Michele at April 24, 2007 7:14 PM

I would not take it, because the next time it could be way worse, and he needs to learn his lesson not get off easy. I always tell people that they have no right driving drunk on the same streets as other peoples' families - it's just not right.

Posted by: Jessie at April 24, 2007 7:59 PM

No way would I take the money. If it was his third offense he obviously knew the oenalty at hand if he was caught again. Even if it was the first time for him I'd still say no.

Posted by: Dianna at April 24, 2007 8:09 PM

As nice as $5K would be, with my luck? The person offering me the cash would be a police officer and I'd be busted. Or something like that.

With that said... nope, I couldn't take it. It would be nice, but just can't do it.

Posted by: Ironic1 at April 24, 2007 8:47 PM

If she misses her husband now, she'll REALLY miss him when he's doing 10 years for manslaughter after killing someone with his car the next time.

She can keep her damn money. He deserves jail time.

Posted by: Jon (was) in Michigan at April 24, 2007 8:49 PM

Oh yeah, and I'd totally tell the cops she offered me the money. She's just as bad as he is.

Posted by: Jon (was) in Michigan at April 24, 2007 8:50 PM

I'd offer to take the guy to an AA meeting. He obviously needs it if he's drinking & driving that often.

Posted by: kalisah at April 24, 2007 8:56 PM

In the words of Steve Miller...."go on take the money and run!"

One person cannot change the world. That guy will drink and drive again no matter what you do.

Posted by: Kristy at April 24, 2007 9:38 PM

oh and $5,000 in your face is far harder to refuse than $5,000 on a hypothetical blog entry.

Posted by: Kristy at April 24, 2007 9:41 PM

Yes, you take the cash. You hand it to your friend and have him put it in his car. When the cops come you tell them the guy was driving. And then? You wait. Do they want to both go to jail, or do they want to let the truth set her free?

Feel guilty about it? Give the money to MADD. Make it a donation in the other driver's name. :)

Posted by: williebee at April 24, 2007 11:41 PM

No way. It's one thing for a stupid drunk driver to take his own life, but to be willing to repeatedly get behind the wheel and endanger the lives of innocent people is not forgivable at all. No amount of money would buy me off to let a menace like that back onto the streets for them to kill an innocent person in the future.

Posted by: Teenuh at April 25, 2007 2:23 AM

Newp, doesn't pass the "would I be able to sleep at night" test. :/

PS Hi Chris! Long time no... :)

Posted by: chepooka at April 25, 2007 2:24 AM

i wouldn't take it, not because the guy needs to go to jail but because i would not lie to the cops and to insurance companies and risk getting myself in trouble. i'm a goodie goodie.

however, i love the commentor who said they'd take the money and then tell the truth anyway! there'd be nothing they could do about it and i wouldn't have broken any laws. i'd say "thanks for the gift" and even declare it on my taxes to keep in on the up-and-up. i'd never in a million years have thought to do that, but ideally that's what i'd do. perfect solution.

Posted by: jen at April 25, 2007 8:14 AM

Not on your life. How do you knwo this bozo has't been telling this saame tale all over town leaving wreckage behind him? Personal responsibility, man. Next time he might kill someone.

Posted by: Annie at April 26, 2007 12:26 AM

Well.

My first response is Yes, because I never have any money and because no one was hurt and my car damage was going to be covered by insurance.

Then I thought about it for like, 30 seconds, and realized that maybe he should spend some time in jail even if no one was hurt. What he is doing is illegal for a reason. Because obviously he will do it again and what if someone dies next time?

Posted by: Jenn at April 26, 2007 2:56 AM

Ga! I'd like to think I would be honorable enough to refuse the money, especially since drunk drivers are a menace to everyone around them.

Then again, I'm from Wisconsin, where people pride themselves on their exceptional drunk-driving skills. Above I've just described almost all late-night weekend drivers!

I'm not sure what I'd do in that situation. I hate drunk drivers, but if I didn't have time to ponder the ethics I might just go "Ooooh, money" and take it. I hope not.

What did happen?

Posted by: Heather at April 26, 2007 10:50 AM

Nope. Wouldn't take it. Wouldn't even consider it. I feel for the wife, but the guy is a menace and if jail time will keep him from killing someone, I can easily live without the extra 5k.

Posted by: Elaine at April 26, 2007 12:43 PM

So here's where I get really pissed off and personal and say fuck no would I ever take that money. I have had one best friend murdered by a jackass who drank too much and got behind the wheel and that one move has more than fucked up my life for eternity. And then, just a couple of years later, a major pileup caused by a drunk driver on I-80 just outside Salt Lake City, Utah, killed my cousin and paralyzed her daughter for life.

I cannot stand people who drink and drive. You have more than one glass or wine, one beer...and you get behind a wheel, I swear I will never speak to you again. So fuck them and their money. Who gives a shit if she can't live without her husband? What about all the people who didn't have a fucking choice about living with their loved ones because some asshole like him took them out of the picture permanently.

So, no, I wouldn't take the money.

Posted by: A Girl Gone Mad at April 27, 2007 8:02 AM

I would take the money and throw it to my friend so he could drive away with and then I would hand him over to the police.

Oh what... I am EVIL.

Posted by: Rori at April 28, 2007 6:29 PM

Woah! THAT? Is crazy...Hope everyone is alright!

Posted by: Dee at April 30, 2007 5:00 PM

Hello! http://sudanportal.mrcc.aast.edu/images/ass-fuck.html ass fuck
http://sudanportal.mrcc.aast.edu/images/ass-in-tight-jeans.html ass in tight jeans
http://sudanportal.mrcc.aast.edu/images/big-black-ass.html big black ass