April 11, 2007

Role Models

Here's something to ponder while you sip your coffee, check your calendars, wake up your kids or sit in an endless stream of traffic on your way to work. Who is your role-model? And, in fifty words or less, why? Watch, allow me to illustrate:

Beth is my role-model. She stands strong when I cannot, steers me towards the right path when resolutions are lost upon me, and pushes me to be a better person. Beth is a wonderful mother, loyal friend, beautiful wife, and has, of course, a smokin’ hot ass.

So - husband, wife, boyfriend, girlfriend, mom, dad, teacher, priest, movie star or football hero - let me have it.

Posted by Chris at April 11, 2007 7:29 AM
Comments

My role model (and best friend and surrogate mother) is my friend Patsy. She's stubborn as hell and I figure I must have got it from somewhere, right?

Posted by: Contrary at April 11, 2007 7:51 AM

You forgot to mention that I can also fix the washing machine.

Posted by: Mrs. Cactus at April 11, 2007 8:26 AM

I have no role model. My purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

Posted by: SciFi Dad at April 11, 2007 8:28 AM

if I didn't read Beth everyday (in two places) I'd think how whipped you were....however, since I do, I know you're just stating a fact.

my role model, is my dad. Many many faults, rose above them. Many many screwups, asked forgiveness and moved on. Prayed for wisdom everyday and then used it. Was a peacemaker in all situations, even when he wanted to fight. Made great biscuits and gravy.
He's still my hero.

Posted by: the speckledpup at April 11, 2007 8:57 AM

This isn't about the 7 vs 10 incident is it?

Posted by: KT at April 11, 2007 9:01 AM

My husband, John, is my role model. His strength and loyalty support his other wonderful qualities: loving, honorable, extremely intellegant, supportive, responsible, gracious, not to mention he is a super hot hunk with "dreamy" green eyes! He's really cool too, in a laid-back-red-neck kind of way...no really, he has a dirt bike and all.

Posted by: Christina at April 11, 2007 9:39 AM

My husband. He's my best friend and in the years between the time we met in college and met up again six years later, he was the litmus against which all other men were judged...and found lacking. He's a gentle man with strong opinions. He's encouraging and he works his ass off. Intelligent and patient. He's the smartest guy I know and he makes me laugh. And did I mention that he's great in the sack?

Posted by: wordgirl at April 11, 2007 9:43 AM

The maternal grandparents - GrandPA died when I was 14, but grandMA lives on. He showed me what it meant to be an honorable man and she is the epitome of tough, unconditional, patient love and common sense. She also taught me how to be an exceptional cook, the hugeness of which can't be overstated.

Posted by: You can call me, 'Sir' at April 11, 2007 9:54 AM

Alas, I have no role model. I am a perfectionist and as such have people in my life who have pieces of what I would expect in a role model, but not the whole. Doesn't mean I don't love 'em, just wouldn't want to be 'em.

Posted by: sue at April 11, 2007 9:54 AM

My Dad. Enduring strength, faith, and the most generous person I know. Completely nonjudgmental (how rare is that these days?), always genuine, eternally forgiving, unafraid to apologize. Has always consistently demonstrated his love for us, even in the smallest of deeds. His actions always mirrored his words. And that means so much.

Posted by: Amy at April 11, 2007 11:03 AM

Oddly enough, I really don't have the role model. I guess one of my grandfathers maybe, but they both died long ago and I didn't really get to know them outside of stories or photographs. Everyone says Jesus, but how attainable is that? My dad sucked. So, I find it better to just keep trying to be the best I can be and then pushing it a little to be better.

~Jef

Posted by: Edge at April 11, 2007 11:20 AM

Lynn, my hubby.

He is unlike any man that I've ever met. Smart, funny, sensitive, honest and real. He works hard, makes life interesting and gives me a unique perspective on everything. He's logical, something that I'm not.

I'm common sense and thoughtful.

Posted by: Diane at April 11, 2007 11:46 AM

my step-mom. hands down. if i could be 1/4 of the woman that she is...i'd be happy :)

Posted by: ali at April 11, 2007 12:20 PM

I like the take on this that I just read on Jen's site. Like I told her, it's always been hard for me to say that I have a role model. I admire certain qualities in different people, but there's not really one person that stands enough out for me to make me definitively say, "This is my role model."

Posted by: Zandria at April 11, 2007 12:42 PM

Containing this to 50 words was the hardest part! Know that there is SOOO much more I could say about this, but here goes...

Definitely my Dad. A Pearl Harbor survivor, he’ll soon be 86, and he and Mom had the strongest marriage for 59 years, until she passed away. In her last years, he cared for her, though she had Alzheimers and didn’t know him. He treated her like she did know.

Posted by: coolchick at April 11, 2007 1:50 PM

My role model is Tom Colicchio. I don't know why.

Posted by: Sarah, Goon Squad Sarah at April 11, 2007 2:27 PM

Mother Teresa.
I remember growing up, going to Catholic school she was always someone that I heard about, that we learned about in different settings. Then as I grew a little older I studied her for a project in high school, right after her death and I remember being absolutely blown away by how amazing a woman she truly was.
I'm not an extreme Catholic and out of all the things I learned over those 12 years, her life is the one thing that stuck in my head. I know that I could never in a million years live up to being the person that she was, I'm not that strong of a person, but I still look up to her with complete admiration.

Posted by: Rachel at April 11, 2007 2:39 PM

my grandmother. She was ahead of her time. She went to college, taught special needs kids in school in the 20's, 30's 40's and 50"s and worked tirelessly for so many charities. Her biggest one being me. She took me in when I was in 5th grade and raised me.

Posted by: Maribeth at April 11, 2007 6:49 PM

what, did beth find another stash of dirty coffee cups?

Posted by: linda at April 11, 2007 8:21 PM

My dogs are my role models because they never have bad days, have wonderful wet noses and are always happy to greet whatever may come their way each and every day.

(OK, maybe I don't aspire to have a wet nose, but hey, they're great on dogs!)

Posted by: Heather at April 11, 2007 11:17 PM

Remember, you asked!

Jesus: He was a rebel who wasn't afraid to speak His mind. He would give you the robe off his back. Even you have to admit He had patience, all those people following Him around wanting to be healed, that would get old real quick. He was the son of God!

Posted by: Jeff A at April 12, 2007 1:00 AM

My oldest son, who is 10. He manages to make great grades in school, play baseball well, keep his room picked up, his chores done and always flashes a huge smile for everyone.

Posted by: Steff at April 12, 2007 1:59 PM

Good Question RC,

My role model is my good friend Bronwen. I admire many people including my parents, my husband, etc...but I aspire to be like Bronwen.

She's kind even when she's hurt, she's patient even when she's hurried, she's happy even when she's facing adversity. She has a way of looking through me that no one else has. She sees through to the core of what I am feeling, what I am saying and what I am thinking. Her BS radar is always finely tuned. Yet she doesn't impose her will for truth....you simply HAVE to be honest with her....you fall under her spell.

She is geeky, cool, silly, serious, smart and zany. In fact, I would say that she's everything that I am not. Maybe that's why I look up to her so much.

Posted by: wn at April 12, 2007 3:58 PM