April 9, 2007

Easter Revisited (Starring the Easter Monkey)

So, uh...good morning!

This weekend was, of course, Easter. Easter is, of course, a fine time to take plenty of pictures of your lovely family doing fun things like posing for the camera or hunting for Easter eggs. Never shy with a camera, I took plenty of these pictures. I haven't yet had time to edit them (on a side-note, Beth did post a couple courtesy of Mia Monday so enjoy...or blame her for hogging the computer). I assure you that my family was (and is) beautiful and Mia was especially cute hunting for eggs.
Friday night was, as is becoming the norm, nice and relaxed. I took part of the afternoon off - and after a week of feeling like crap and working my ass off I think I deserved it. Mia and I got some extra time to play and then the three of us went out to dinner. A family date. It was fun.

Saturday morning, Beth, Mia and I were up early, prepared for the neighborhood Easter egg hunt. Something odd struck me when I looked out the window. There was something strange on the ground. Snow. Or a massive amount of cocaine. Surely that's not right I thought. Mother Nature - or a Colombian drug cartel - was rather confused. We got dressed and headed to the hunt despite the 30 degree temperature. The torrential snow storm was a nice touch as well. Mia still had fun. She found eggs, plucked them from the chilly ground, popped them in her basket and, since she didn't quite grasp the entire concept, took them out of her basket and deposited them elsewhere.

Sunday was, of course, the true Easter. After playing much of the day, the three of us got dressed up and headed to my parents' place for dinner with both sets of Mia's grandparents. Mia can never ever claim, even in her darkest teenage crisis-riddled moment, that she's unloved. The paparazzi were out in force and, according to her fans, practically anything Mia did was hilarious. Three Easter baskets, numerous puzzles, books, and a nice dinner later, we arrived home, in time for bed.

On the lawn of one home yesterday, we saw a giant inflatable monkey. We were confused.

Me: What the hell is that?
Her: Must be the Easter Monkey.
Me: The lesser-known accomplice of the Easter Bunny?
Her: Yep.
Me: Bringing bananas to all the children not lucky enough to get eggs.
Her: And flinging poo.
Me: When you wake up in the morning and find painted Easter bananas and fresh-flung poo, you know the Easter Monkey's been there!

It didn't feel like spring, but Easter was wonderful. How'd you spend yours?

Posted by Chris at April 9, 2007 7:15 AM
Comments

I really like what Mia has done with your hair--it is a good look for you. ;)

We went to an overpriced egg hunt. Boo! They sold too many tickets and disappointed quite a few little people. No, I'm not bitter. :P

I'm glad you all had a great time! :)

Posted by: Nanette at April 9, 2007 7:28 AM

Hmmm, no comment on the conversations Beth posted over the weekend. I was really expecting a retort.

Posted by: jodi at April 9, 2007 7:38 AM

First, regarding Jodi's comment, it would appear that someone has finally learned to stop when you're behind. ;)

We went to my parents' place for Easter. No sleep, but good times.

Posted by: SciFi Dad at April 9, 2007 8:22 AM

Except for the fact that it was 20* and my daffodil flowers have given up the good fight and just laid down to die, it was a beautiful weekend.

My husband and boys went to the Milwaukee Bucks game on Saturday and "THEY ALMOST WON." **snicker** "In the last 0.9 seconds! It was almost like cheating!" (Yeah, my husband was a little ugged about it.)

We had all family over to our house. Our last party in this house since we have FINALLY sold it! And there is leftover ham to make with eggs this morning. But it is supposed to snow. I'm not sure how to feel about it all. :)

Posted by: angela marie at April 9, 2007 8:53 AM

Easter was decidedly meh. We went up to NH, which was nice. But Easter Dinner was very un-vegetarian-friendly. There's nothing like eating rice and lettuce at 10pm while the rest of your family chows down on pork chops. :\

Posted by: Hope at April 9, 2007 9:17 AM

I got several "Happy Easter" calls from family members, but I didn't drive to Richmond to participate in the family dinner. I'll be going down next weekend for my mom's birthday, so I didn't want to make the trip two weekends in a row.

Love the hair. :)

Posted by: Zandria at April 9, 2007 9:24 AM

Snow here, too, but mostly flurries. When your kids are as old as ours, no one hunts for eggs or even dyes them. However, there is one communal basket of stuff (Season 1 of "Kids in the Hall" and Season 8 of "The Simpsons"...plus candy)and I set up a scavenger hunt with clues on 3x5 cards. They'll be embarrassed to admit just how much they love it.

Posted by: wordgirl at April 9, 2007 9:25 AM

Love the hair, Chris. I think I will print it out and bring it to the hairdresser when I go on Wednesday. Could be a new look for me.

Posted by: Maribeth at April 9, 2007 9:35 AM

Sounds like you had a great Easter! I love how Mia did your hair. We spent a quiet Easter relaxing at home - our first long weekend that we've spent at home in 2 or 3 yrs - and it was AWESOME!

Posted by: Janice at April 9, 2007 9:39 AM

We moved into our new house!

Thank goodness for my parents, who kept our boys occupied and us fed for the entire weekend.

The boys took great pleasure in recording and taking pictures of every thing with their new digital cameras/video recorder. My 4 year old is in training to be a paprazzi. My 10 yr old to be a photojournalist.

Off to find a reduced price Easter Bunny just so I can bite off his ears.

Posted by: Steff at April 9, 2007 9:41 AM

Wasn't that whole snow thing ridiculous? It is not supposed to snow in April!

I had a small easter egg hunt with my niece and nephew. No Easter Monkey though. Now I'm a little disappointed.

Posted by: bad penguin at April 9, 2007 9:55 AM

Pretty quiet around here. Just the way I like it! :)

Posted by: sue at April 9, 2007 10:06 AM

I confess I went to Beth's blog first this morning, hoping for Mia Monday pics from Easter. I was not disappointed.

I am disappointed there are no pics of the Easter Monkey in YOUR blog, however! The Easter Monkey makes an appearance, and no one photographs it? WTF? I'm laughing my ass off over that conversation though.

Posted by: coolchick at April 9, 2007 10:36 AM

Sounds like you all had a lot of fun. Sad thing when you have more kids you forget the camera for stuff.

We had a nice day yesterday but alas, no pics.

Posted by: Laurie at April 9, 2007 10:44 AM

We slept deliciously late and then ate all day while watching a Little People, Big World marathon. Tell me we don't know how to party!

Posted by: Contrary at April 9, 2007 10:52 AM

It was Easter??? We didn't really celebrate much, you know, with chocolate and Peeps. My husband and I got home really late from Vegas on Saturday night/Sunday morning, so I was busy all day being sick with something someone gave me on the flight TO Vegas last Monday. That, and putting clothes and stuff away. Oh, and being stalked by my cat who missed me something terrible. Oh, and we did have some ham and hard-boiled eggs and the like for Easter dinner.

Total excitement, I know!

Posted by: ironic1 at April 9, 2007 11:00 AM

Dude, I just visited Beth's site for more pics, and it totally ROCKS that Mia got a PEEP Easter basket!!! I bought those last year but didn't get them out this year due to being in Vegas. Thanks for sharing something you didn't know you were sharing... and that totally made my day! Peeps are awesome, in my book!

Posted by: ironic1 at April 9, 2007 11:10 AM

Easter for me = high-fiving Jesus on that whole resurrection thing, then watching golf. Awesome. No Easter monkey, though. Bummer.

Posted by: You can call me, 'Sir' at April 9, 2007 11:17 AM

We had a very quiet Easter. I didn't feel like cooking so we enjoyed an Easter pizza. And I had loads of time to knit.

Love the hair clips. So very manly. ;)

P.S. Where's your Monday haiku?!

Posted by: Teenuh at April 9, 2007 11:21 AM

I love how she made deposits! Reminds me of when mine would take things from my purse and deposit them in the garbage, and would take from the garbage and put it in my purse.

Kids--gotta love them!

Serioulsy she's so darn beautiful!

Posted by: Michele at April 9, 2007 12:00 PM

There was a lot of church and naps yesterday, then movies. I went to sunrise service at my mom's church at 6am (which meant getting up at 5 and driving half an hour) was back home at 8:30, where i fell into bed dressed, slept til 10, then went to 11am services at my church. After all the church and some hanging out at home, I went to go see The Reaping and Blades of Glory with a friend.

Posted by: Judy at April 9, 2007 12:10 PM

I wrestled in 26 gallons of chocolate pudding... in my dining room. No joke. And as soon as I figure out how to edit the 1/2 hour of video we got of the craziness, I will most definitely post about it. ;) Best. Easter weekend. Ever.

Yours looked fun, too. What with the Easter Monkey and all. =P

Posted by: smoness at April 9, 2007 1:26 PM

I almost peed when I read about the Easter Monkey here! When I got to my parents house yesterday they had gotten me a solid chocolate Easter Monkey from a local candymaker. I had never heard of such a thing but you can read the "legend" at http://www.crowncandykitchen.com/eastermonkey.php

Now, I am certain that this "legend" can't have made it to the east coast so it still doesn't explain the large blow-up monkey, but I thought you two would really enjoy the "legend."

Posted by: Gwen at April 9, 2007 2:57 PM

"Flinging poo" just about sent me off the bed. Thanks for that on a damn cold, completely NON-spring Monday.

Posted by: Pammer at April 9, 2007 6:07 PM

The Easter Bunny couldn't handle to cold snow so the Easter Monkey filled in...yeah...

Glad to hear you had a great Easter weekend!

Posted by: Colleen at April 9, 2007 7:09 PM

wow I can't believe...
a monday came and then went
without a haiku??

Posted by: Kristy at April 9, 2007 8:19 PM

The Easter Monkey! I love it!
Can you believe this snow! It pretty-much didn't stop snowing all winter this weekend, and it's still snowing now! Crazay. We had a passover weekend. So, basically, we just didn't eat bread. :)

Posted by: Haley-O at April 9, 2007 10:30 PM

Hair by Mia!

A monkey?! That is funny. Did it at least have an Easter basket or bonnet?

Posted by: Maria at April 10, 2007 4:21 AM

THIS IS too FUNNY! The Easter Monkey. The kid came up with flinging poo on her own huh! How clever for a little one.

LOL! ;-)

Posted by: Erika at April 10, 2007 3:16 PM

you look quite fetching in your easter barettes!

Posted by: cmhl at April 12, 2007 11:26 AM

Ha, that picture is so funny and cute! You totally deserve the Hottest Daddy Blogger, you have the best hair styles.

Posted by: Mama C-ta at April 15, 2007 12:04 PM

дизайн, ремонт любых помещений в Киеве

Posted by: DmitrievMAKSIM31 at June 20, 2010 10:58 AM