April 23, 2007

The Weekend Behind Me

What sick fuck came up with this Monday crap? And why did that person - because I'm convinced it's the same bastard - make up such a terrible week to weekend ratio? I'd like to meet him...and give him a gigantic wedgie.

This weekend was fantastic on all counts. The company, weather, activities and sleep were all absolutely wonderful beyond belief. It didn't hurt that the weekend started off a day early and, in turn, lasted a day longer.

On Friday, Beth, Mia and I hung out in the morning and spent a gorgeous afternoon checking out the animals at a local farm. Being spring, there were plenty of baby animals - pigs, goats, cows - and Mia was thrilled. Of course, it was more amusing for us because each time an animal made the correct, corresponding animal noise - a moo, oink or neigh - Mia thought they'd burped. Towards the end of our visit, I managed to alienate my wife who didn't appreciate my jokes about human-eating horses. She doesn't like horses. I'm not sure she likes me now much either.

Then Mia slept through the night. At last.

Saturday found me on the spot, dadcentrically speaking. Beth had to head an hour and a half south for a baby shower so Mia and I had a whole morning and afternoon together. After Beth left, we bought some donuts and a cup of coffee (coffee for me only, if you're concerned) and headed to a local park for a picnic. We saw the Potomac River, a few fishermen and a couple of deer which became very popular very fast. Mia punctuated most sentences the rest of the day with "dee-uh, dee-uh!" Beth came home, we had a wonderful dinner and then sleep...wonderful sleep.

And Mia slept through the night once again.

Sunday fell in-line with the other wonderful weekend days, mainly because we were able to enjoy the company of The Goon Squad, at Goon Squad HQ. Yep, we had an afternoon of playing with Ian, Claudia, Sarah and Gabe. A good time was had by all. They even agreed to feed us. Homemade pasta. Best way to make new friends in my world is through pasta. We're considering moving in with them. They're not aware of this yet. Shhhh!

And then (can you see this coming?) Mia, for the third night in a row, slept straight through.

So, there...as I said, the weekend was fantastic. I'm more than a little depressed that its in the past but then there's always next weekend. I'm still after the asshat who created Mondays though so if you run into him, send his ass my way.

Posted by Chris at April 23, 2007 7:22 AM
Comments

Fantastic! You deserved a nice, relaxing, fun-and-sleep-filled weekend.

You can't have the guy that created Mondays until after I'm through with him, and by then there may not be much left... :-)

Posted by: Alissa at April 23, 2007 7:49 AM

Having a child sleep straight through the night is awesome, but somehow I always like when they do it during the week much more than the weekend. It makes getting up and going to work easier.

Posted by: William at April 23, 2007 8:08 AM

If Mia is going to continue to sleep through the night she is welcome to live here. We have enough bedrooms.

You guys clean and do dishes, right? I hear Beth mows the yard.

Posted by: Sarah, Goon Squad Sarah at April 23, 2007 8:30 AM

I'm glad y'all had a lovely weekend, particularly with all the sleeping. Monday, however, can kiss my ass.

Posted by: Contrary at April 23, 2007 8:39 AM

Sorry. If I run into him I'm going to beat his ass. It was gorgeous in NYC too.

Posted by: Maria at April 23, 2007 8:47 AM

apparently it was Daddy-daughter day on Saturday, as I spent the better part of it alone with mine as well...

sounds like a blast.

Posted by: SciFi Dad at April 23, 2007 9:02 AM

Sounds like a great weekend. Here's hoping Mia continues to sleep through the night.

Posted by: Fraulein N at April 23, 2007 9:12 AM

Sounds like a wonderful weeeknd.

I too had a great weekend filled with lots of outdoor activities, and hanging out with friends. Sadly, my weekend did not include lots of sleep. Which was, in part, my own fault, as I was up half the night fighting with Wordpress in creating my new blog (http://stillbaking.ca/blog) and also in part due to the cats who have decided that they want attention at 3 in the morning and will climb on my head in order to get it...

Posted by: suze at April 23, 2007 9:27 AM

there is nothing greater than having a great day with your kid(s) and then having a great night of sleep. and you got three in a row. you should consider yourself blessed :)

Posted by: ali at April 23, 2007 9:33 AM

Chris, you and Beth have the most beautiful child ever! Well, besides mine of course. Sounds like the perfect weekend.

I hear you about the Monday thing. Fucker!

Posted by: Kari at April 23, 2007 9:51 AM

Greeeeat, thanks to you, I'm totally craving donuts. I NEVER eat donuts....

Sounds like a GREAT weekend. mondays suck even more, though, when you've had a great weekend, don't they. Sorry man....

Posted by: Haley-O at April 23, 2007 10:15 AM

I am so glad you had a fantastic sleep filled weekend. You really have some beautiful photos to show for your weekend! :)

Posted by: Teenuh at April 23, 2007 10:16 AM

Great pictures! Sounds like you all had a good weekend.

Posted by: coolchick at April 23, 2007 10:37 AM

You left out the part about your newly acquired hairstyle. Clients and co-workers alike will shower you with praise while trying (and no doubt failing) to hide their jealousy.

Posted by: You can call me, 'Sir' at April 23, 2007 10:52 AM

I just love weekends like that...
What lovely pictures. The look on Mia's face is priceless!

Posted by: sue at April 23, 2007 11:42 AM

Yay for sleep. Sounds like a lovely weekend! Your pictures (as usual) are fantastic. And? Mia is absolutely beautiful.

Posted by: Trix at April 23, 2007 12:09 PM

The day I had homemade pasta is the day the scales fell from my eyes in a big way. After which Skinner/American Beauty and whatever else kind of boxed/packaged pasta tasted just like glue. There is no such thing as too much spaghetti in my book. And...yay for sleeping through the night.

Posted by: wordgirl at April 23, 2007 1:25 PM

hey!
you sure have a wonderful blog! And i am sure ur a gr8 dad& mia a beautiful daughter....yes i hope mia sleeps through all the nights!!!

Posted by: Nikita at April 23, 2007 1:29 PM

a donut picnic? what an awesome idea!

Posted by: jodi at April 23, 2007 3:43 PM

My Zoe is a good sleeper normally... but I have to say that with the good weather, and getting outside in the fresh air to run around, she sleeps even better.

No coffee for Mia huh? I will admit that Zoe has quite enjoyed a couple of sips of iced coffee in the last weekend... and is especially fond of a good frappuchino! But... caffeine is not good for continuing the nice sleep routine!

Posted by: Colleen at April 23, 2007 3:55 PM

Yeay for sleep. Sounds like a perfect weekend.

Posted by: motherofbun at April 23, 2007 6:27 PM

Sounds like a great weekend! Great pictures! Mia is just too cute and the fence photo is incredible!

Posted by: Colleen at April 23, 2007 9:55 PM

Chris, I love the photos you take! May I ask, what kind of camera you use?

Posted by: Lani at April 25, 2007 2:41 PM

So you met a blogger. And there are more to come. Lucky you!

Posted by: Zandria at April 26, 2007 5:53 PM

That sounds like a gorgeous weekend!

Posted by: Dee at April 30, 2007 5:03 PM