May 21, 2007

Weekend Recap: Entertaining Out The Wazoo

I start this week out the way I usually do - with a general disbelief that the weekend passed so rapidly. And the need for an intravenous line between me and a gigantic coffee brewing machine. I'm even more out of sorts because the help desk gods made off with my laptop for the weekend and I have yet to get it back since it's early and apparently they do not schedule their days based on my habits which, honestly, is another sign the the universe has still not bent to my will and I do not approve.

That's neither here nor there, although I am here and my computer is there which is somewhat problematic. Anyway, the weekend was busy (a really good kind of busy) for several reasons. Seven, actually.

Our real estate agent (reason one) stopped by on Friday evening. Remember how I mentioned last week that we've considered moving? Well, we're further along on that journey than we'd have thought, mentally at least. We're seriously entertaining the possibility (pouring it drinks, playing Pictionary...). We got a pep-talk from the agent, got a few nice listings, drove by a couple of houses. Once you start down that road, there's no turning back. We'll see...

We invited my parents (reasons two and three) over for dinner on Saturday night. They're headed to France for two weeks (poor them) and we celebrated my mom's birthday. For some reason, we all ended up with napkins on our heads. It was strange but then my parents are inherently strange people. The fruit doesn't fall far from tree. I have a lot to look forward to in the mental health department...

The grand finale was a visit from Sarah, Gabe and the Goon Squad (reasons four through seven). Ian, Claudia and Mia entertained one another while Beth, Sarah, Gabe and I had a chance to engage in actual conversation. I thought, like some species of monkeys, conversation existed only in a small corner of South American rain forest. I was wrong. We had a great evening - talked music, books and kids - and ate a fabulous meal (thanks Beth). Then the kids got tired. We tried to convince them that napping on the living room floor was a perfectly acceptable solution but they insisted on going to bed. Sadness.

And now its Monday. There are two things I really despise - being without my laptop and being later than usual for work. This morning, I'm both. I've got the shakes.

Posted by Chris at May 21, 2007 6:52 AM
Comments

The morning shakes that follow another brush with the notion of moving? Or shakes following a great weekend? Or both? Starting afresh in a new house is always preceded by a heady cocktail of fear/creativity/mental calculation/anticipation. You just drank a little more of it than you had planned this weekend...and now...the hangover.

Posted by: wordgirl at May 21, 2007 8:47 AM

Posted by: wordgirl at May 21, 2007 8:47 AM

If you are serving the real estate drinks and playing Pictionary with it...be careful.

Next thing you know you're going to wake up beside her and find out she's a Mortgage you can't afford, and, she's given you crabs.

Posted by: Phil at May 21, 2007 9:06 AM

I think the world needs three day weekends. Maybe 4. Time rushes by so fast and we really need to be doing the more important things like taking naps on the floor!

Posted by: Maribeth at May 21, 2007 9:09 AM

Totally agree with Maribeth!

Posted by: coolchick at May 21, 2007 9:20 AM

I guess it really IS true that time flies when you're having fun...

Posted by: sue at May 21, 2007 10:07 AM

My kids slept like the dead. We're coming over every night from now on.

Posted by: Sarah, Goon Squad Sarah at May 21, 2007 12:02 PM

Yea, house hunting is a slippery slope that realtors are always eager to throw a well-greased rope. I never bought a house the realtor and mortgage banker couldn't help me afford. Wink wink.

Posted by: Johnny Smoke at May 21, 2007 12:43 PM

There are famous photos of me when I was around 3yo and my grandparents - dancing around with washcloths on our heads. Maybe there is just something in the air on the East Coast.

Posted by: aimee/greeblemonkey at May 21, 2007 1:48 PM

Monday ALWAYS comes to soon. Sounds like you had a wonderful weekend though!

Posted by: Nadine at May 21, 2007 3:02 PM

I absolutely hate how fast the weekend goes by.

And good luck on moving. We've been trying to find a house since January now. It's a very long and stressful thing to do.

Posted by: Stephanie at May 21, 2007 6:52 PM

Sounds like a wonderful weekend. I'm "apartment hunting" as well. Wish me luck. Apparently there is no safe locality in this part of NC :)

Posted by: Dee at May 21, 2007 10:45 PM

Those real estate agents are SOOOOOO good at the pep talks, aren't they....

Posted by: Haley-O at May 21, 2007 11:34 PM

Catching up after a week "off" - LOVED the Little People post!!!!!

Posted by: Heather at May 22, 2007 12:27 AM

ok, i have to ask - where was the first, magical house that got you started down the real estate road? we live out in the sticks and we're thinking of looking closer in, but we always think anything closer in = way too expensive.. what areas are you entertaining? I think we may get it in gear to move in a year maybe.. it's a hard road, the real estate road..

Posted by: raine at May 22, 2007 2:52 PM