May 7, 2007

Weekend Recap: Playing Tourist

It's generally the sign of a good weekend if you arrive at work on Monday morning completely and utterly wiped out. The side-effect of a good weekend, though, is that they seem to pass in the blink of an eye. This weekend was both wonderful and all too brief.

I came home a little early on Friday to play with Mia and Beth. At Mia's insistence, I fired up the iPod ("pupod") and hauled out the guitar. Singing and clapping ensured. Even though I'm pretty sure I heard Mia shout for Freebird, I think it was the acoustic rendition of Zeppelin's Over The Hills And Far Away that brought down the house. And speaking of house, we took a little time on Friday night to catch up on TiVo. Specifically Lost (a fantastic episode) and the aforementioned House (boring, I'd even go so far as using the word insipid if it hadn't been for the dog), if you're curious.

Saturday began with a flurry of activity. We woke up, got ourselves pulled together and headed to D.C. for a rendezvous with the Dutch (Nadine and FreezeM). Beth, Mia and I arrived early and took in some of the sights then hit one of our favorite tapas places for lunch. Then we went back out on the town!

We had a fantastic time, mainly due to the company. It was a pleasure to spend another afternoon with FreezeM, Nadine and Tim (and don't get me started on Tim...Mia's been talking non-stop about him since). It's a shame they live so far away but I have no doubt we'll run into them again. Bottom line, if the Dutch go on tour, be sure to catch them in person.

You know, I've lived here in D.C. for 17 years but, despite that length of time, it never ceases to amaze me how wonderful a city it is. I'm pretty sure that something important happened on every square inch we walked on Saturday. We walked through the Mall, through monuments, passed the Willard hotel (where the term lobbyist was coined) and stood where Lincoln was shot in Ford's Theater. Maybe I'm just a big dork with a bizarre fascination for history...but that's pretty cool.

Sunday saw another baby shower for my sister-in-law so my dad and I decided to take Mia for a walk through Great Falls Park. Another gorgeous day, the place was packed. But that meant plenty of dogs for Mia to see.

And now it's Monday. Nose to the grindstone. Or something. At least I'm not the only one worn out by the weekend. What did you guys do?

Posted by Chris at May 7, 2007 7:19 AM
Comments

Mmm tapas! Lovely photos.

I am a native New Yorker and feel the same way about my hometown.

I worked AGAIN. I'm so tired I feel like I'm going to pass out.

Posted by: Maria at May 7, 2007 7:43 AM

Lost WAS amazing! Is Juliette good or bad? Can we kill Jack now? He irritates me and I suspect he is Jacob.

This weekend: Beautiful weather here in Texas - went to the driving range and worked on my slice (at least thats what it looks like), worked in the yard, fired up the grill. Life is good.

Posted by: Debbie at May 7, 2007 8:05 AM

sounds like a fun time...

my weekend? one phrase: faux-hawk/mullet.

Posted by: SciFi Dad at May 7, 2007 8:14 AM

Still in nappies and you're already having to deflect potential suitors? Wow. That's impressive.

Posted by: E :) at May 7, 2007 8:26 AM

Spent the first 20 hours or so of the weekend fuming over a craptastic incident that happened Friday at work. Finally took a nap Saturday afternoon (after hardly sleeping the previous night...being angry takes too much energy...ha!) and woke up feeling like a new person. The rest of the weekend was FABULOUS! Ran errands...drove to a produce stand in the country...my sweetie got home from the road late Sunday morning...went out for a late breakfast...went for a bike ride in the university's fabulous arboretum...had my favorite Jamba Juice...went for a drive in the country...watched a gorgeous sunset...and in the midst of all of that, saw ducks and dogs and squirrels and horses and egrets. And it made me realize for the umptybillionth time that THAT's the kind of stuff that matters...family and nature and doing pleasant stuff. Office politics isn't worthy of being a bug on life's windshield.

Posted by: Marilyn at May 7, 2007 9:15 AM

Why, we celebrated my son's 11th birthday by giving him weaponry. Ok, it's only a pellet gun. But still? I'm not sure I like him having it. Aside from the b'day festivities - it was just the usual yard work coupled with a fun-filled trip to the junkyard.
Sounds like you all had a good weekend.

Posted by: Traci at May 7, 2007 9:24 AM

i love DC. one of my favorite places in the US to visit. there's so much history there. i love it. also...i think i'm a super-huge geek ;)

Posted by: ali at May 7, 2007 9:26 AM

La la la not listening to anything about Lost. We seem to have stopped watching it in favour of our Wire DVD but will get back into it.

I didn't do much as I had an upset stomach but it's bank holiday Monday here and I got some new shoes, woo-hoo! I hate buying shoes...

Sounds like you had a good one.

Posted by: Katherine at May 7, 2007 10:47 AM

"and don't get me started on Tim...Mia's been talking non-stop about him since"

Oooh did I feel the first "Stay Away From My Daughter" instinct kicking in there just a tad? And she's not even a teenager yet. ;-)

Posted by: oakley at May 7, 2007 11:09 AM

What great photos. I love good weekends. I hate Mondays after great weekends. It somehow makes it worse. Is that possible? *sigh*

Posted by: sue at May 7, 2007 11:10 AM

Similarly exhausted. Friday night we went to the youngest boy's athletic banquet (3 HOURS LONG!!) and then caught the end of middle son's baseball game (Varsity...we're headed to state). Saturday we went to middle son's baseball tournament where we beat Odessa Permian (you remember them!)and secured a place against an El Paso school next weekend. Walk the dogs, yardwork and then caught oldest son's very last school theater production (12 Angry Men...rewritten to be 12 Angry Jurors) More yardwork and then dinner to plan an Eagle Scout court of honor.

Posted by: wordgirl at May 7, 2007 12:08 PM

Nick and I are obsessed with TiVo. And Lost (really great episode... I'm not ready for the end of season!) And we love House (the show gets to be the same old stuff sometimes... but we just love House, the character).

Sounds like you had a fabulous weekend. We spent our weekend preparing for todays start of bathroom remodelling (demolision is under way as I type!). We also did much laundry so Nick could have something to pack for his business trip. (Notice his trip magically coincides with our lack of shower).

Posted by: Colleen at May 7, 2007 12:47 PM

I love the Willard! And Great Falls. And I'm trying to convince my mom that she wants to go to Jaleo for Mother's Day. Sounds like you had a great weekend to me.

I spent pretty much all day Saturday working in the garden, and then hung out with my two best friends and their kids on Sunday. Not bad on my end either. :)

Posted by: bad penguin at May 7, 2007 12:55 PM

Lemme think... We did many errands, bought new clothes, saw "Fracture" (loved it), had sushi, hosted a successful early mother's day dinner party and celebrated our first anniversary. Busy. Action packed. Enjoyable. And unfortunately, over...

Posted by: Emily at May 7, 2007 2:11 PM

Glad you had a good weekend. Beautiful pictures, particularly of the WWII memorial. Are you gonna post more on your Flickr site soon?

There are so many beautiful things to see in DC. My son will be doing an internship in Alexandria, VA during June/July, and he's so looking forward to it. He may even get to live in a dorm at Georgetown University! You'll have to let me know some places he should see, since he's into music and history as well.

Posted by: coolchick at May 7, 2007 2:44 PM

Hmmmm, the weekend consisted of yard work, chipmunk ingress remediation repairs, taking small girls to playground, acting like small girl in playground, nursing bruises received while acting like small girl in playground, hockey playoff watching (Go Sens!), taking small girls swimming, sitting in hot tub watching friend swimming with small girls, barbequing, beer drinking. It was too short...

Posted by: alison at May 7, 2007 2:46 PM

We had a GREAT time with you! And I'm looking forward to seeing you again somewhere in the future :) Tim's eyes light up when I say Mia. It is really too cute. We went to Great Falls yesterday morning. It was great out there! I wish we could stay longer.

Posted by: Nadine at May 7, 2007 4:05 PM

The highlight of my weekend was when I resisted the urge to beat Hoop up with the controller of the new PS3 he bought.

Love your pictures, as always. Can you photoshop me into one of them so I can feel like I did something this weekend? Thanks. ;)

Posted by: Tink at May 7, 2007 4:06 PM

Nice pics, "Rudecactus"..I've been here a while myself, and DC definitely has a lot of hidden treasures of the beaten path. Great blog, BTW.

Posted by: Gil at May 7, 2007 5:58 PM

Damn! We just missed each other. I ate at Jaleo for lunch on Friday! (If you can say that 24 hours is "just missing each other".....)

How cool would that have been? I'd have been all, "Hey! Beth, Chris! How's it going?" And you'd be all, "Who's the crazy lady? Then you'd slowly begin to recognize me... and call for backup." :)

Glad you had a nice weekend. It was a great one for sight seeing.

Posted by: Cartwheels At Midnight at May 7, 2007 6:05 PM

We just booked a trip to DC in September. It's my first time there AND I CAN'T WAIT. Reading this post and seeing the beautiful pictures just gets me even more excited.

Thanks for sharing.

(Here's your hoping you have a mellow week to make up for the busy weekend.)

Posted by: Isabel at May 7, 2007 6:12 PM

I'm worn out by the weekend too. We filled ours with birthday parties, gallery openings, the City Market, an Urban Homes Tour, a baseball game and babysitting.

Yes, all in one compact little weekend.

By the way, love your photos!

Posted by: angela at May 7, 2007 6:46 PM

Wow! LOVE THE PICS! LOVE THE WEEKEND -- so nice that you had a mini, historical vacation!

I tried to relax as much as possible this weekend...ohmmmm. And, we had a birthday party, went out for dinner as a family on Saturday night. It was a laid back weekend. :)

Posted by: Haley-O at May 7, 2007 8:35 PM

You're exhausted on Monday? You're doing it right!

Posted by: Sphincter at May 7, 2007 11:10 PM

I threw a big Cinco De Mayo and Sam's Second Birthday party, along with hosting my in-laws and stuffing a pinata. I'm spent.

Posted by: Annie, The Evil Queen at May 8, 2007 1:19 AM

I slept a lot. Catching up from working 3 whole days in a row. It's tougher than it sounds. I work 12 hour graveyard shifts. And 3 in a row just kills me. My poor neglected children.

I love your pics. There's nothing better than rediscovering your city. I'm sure it was made even better by your date, Mia.

Posted by: nila at May 8, 2007 2:40 AM

Oh man, these pictures made me miss DC! Thanks for posting them!!

Posted by: Catharina at May 8, 2007 10:41 AM

Sounds like a fabulous weekend. And you take GORGEOUS photos.

Posted by: Martha at May 8, 2007 10:37 PM

Hey, did you know I grew up near Annapolis? I do love coming to the Mall when we visit. Great pics.

Posted by: aimee/greeblemonkey at May 9, 2007 4:54 PM