May 10, 2007

Headshots

So, in the coming weeks, someone is writing an article about me. Its seriously no big deal. But I have to provide a head shot. I took a few test shots last night but I'm torn. You help me decide.

First up, the Conservative Businessman look...

...the I'm Going to Kick Your Ass Mr. Anderson look...

...the I'm A Little Light In The Loafers And I Love To Tango look...

...the Sweet Jesus, My Head Is Huge But I Have A Cute Hat look...

...and the Smokin' In The Boys Room look...

What do you think? Preferences? Favorites? Which one sends the right message? If none of these are any good, I can always reshoot. It's not like I got all dressed up for these...

Hell, I wasn't even wearing underwear. Crap. Did I share too much?

Posted by Chris at May 10, 2007 7:04 AM
Comments

well...why only a head shot? I say the one standing in the doorway! which part of the head? how about just the left ear or something like that... isn't that a "head" shot... then agan that would fall under the "boys room" shot too wouldn't it?

Posted by: the unicorn at May 10, 2007 7:18 AM

Once you told me you were going commando, I had to go and look at the full body shot three more times.

What kind of cheap ass periodical is it that doesn't send a photographer?

I really like the rakish way your bangs fall but I must vote for the "I'm too sexy for my hat" look.

Posted by: Debbie at May 10, 2007 7:27 AM

I think you should do one with a more thoughtful look! Although that first one makes you look like Bond.
When the hell did they make a book about Motley Crue? Damn, now I have to go to the bookstore.

Posted by: Jeff A at May 10, 2007 7:41 AM

LOL! That was funny!

I'd say the Mr. Anderson look. But reshoots? I'd like to see shot of you with pigtails, like Mia's.

Posted by: Nadine at May 10, 2007 8:01 AM

I can't make a decision until I see the shot with pigtails. Sorry...reshoot!

Posted by: linda at May 10, 2007 8:23 AM

I'm liking the second one... although the last one does have its charm ;)

Where and when's the article going to be published? How exciting!

Posted by: starrynite at May 10, 2007 8:34 AM

LOVE all of them....like the business man one the best though

Posted by: wn at May 10, 2007 8:41 AM

I like the Mr. Anderson shot, myself.

But while we're on the Hugo Weaving thing, if you want to be all mysterious and schmidt, you could just don a Guy Fawkes mask. :)

Posted by: martin at May 10, 2007 8:48 AM

I would totally go with the cute hat look. It shows you are serious, but with a sense of style.

Posted by: Jon (was) in Michigan at May 10, 2007 8:49 AM

I'd say go with the one in the doorway!

Posted by: Michelle at May 10, 2007 8:52 AM

What is the article about?

In order of preference, I like Smokin' In The Boys Room and Conservatice Business Man.

LOL at the last bit of TMI.

Posted by: Maria at May 10, 2007 8:56 AM

Hee. You kind of do look like Hugo Weaving there, actually.

Posted by: Fraulein N at May 10, 2007 9:10 AM

Stepping out on a limb here, since I seem to be alone in my opinion... I say the one with the rose in your mouth. Very professional, perhaps if they don't like it for this article you could submit it to Dancing With The Stars :-)

Posted by: Alissa at May 10, 2007 9:18 AM

My friend Alissa and I agree. We quite often do.

Definitely the rose between your teeth.

If these are the choices of pictures, I can hardly wait to see the article and the magazine it's in.

Posted by: ann adams at May 10, 2007 9:33 AM

None of these really strike me as describing you well. The book one does the best job, but hides your face. The matrix one is great, but doesn't convey your personality.

How about one of you reading in front of your massive book and/or CD shelf? You don't have to smile while you're reading, but it'd be nice to see your whole face.

Oh wow, I just realized that you might not have wanted actual criticism. Well, in that case, go with #1.

Posted by: Brad at May 10, 2007 9:35 AM

you like the guy from the Matrix in the 2nd picture for sure. I like the first one, maybe with more of a smile?

Posted by: Dragon Mom at May 10, 2007 9:36 AM

Nothing says "I mean business" quite like a little blue and white hat. ;)

Posted by: Tink at May 10, 2007 9:57 AM

Definitely go with the sunglasses shot since you can see Mia's potty in the reflection.

A friend of mine had to provide a headshot for an publication, and thankfully, we know a professional photographer. He actually took her outside his studio because the lighting outside provides the best look. But that lighting in your bathroom looks pretty decent.

Too funny!

Posted by: coolchick at May 10, 2007 10:00 AM

I'm a big fan of the cute hat, if this is a silly write up.

If it is silly yet a little too serious for the cute, possibly girly, hat then I also picked the full body one.

Posted by: Jenn at May 10, 2007 10:08 AM

I do like the one with the rose. On the other hand, the one in the doorway is sex-ay. And not just because you're going commando.

Posted by: Alison at May 10, 2007 10:15 AM

I prefer "Smokin' In The Boys Room" picture. The book looks great. Sure it depends on the article-style...

Posted by: Alex at May 10, 2007 10:15 AM

I like the Anderson one. Of course, if you don't use that you can always fall back on the small yellow cowboy hat.

Posted by: Sarah, Goon Squad Sarah at May 10, 2007 10:16 AM

I think all the shots are good, but I'd like to see you take it up a notch and add pigtails to the "Mr. Anderson" shot.

And....did you take all these photos whilst sitting on your toilet?

Posted by: Margaret at May 10, 2007 10:18 AM

I love the Mr. Anderson one! (Especially becasue of the crooked glasses) The Smokin' one is a little closer to some of the better pictures I've seen you in-- it captures your personality better. Although, in point of fact, none of these really captures the unpigeonholable you... hmm...

Posted by: Sassy at May 10, 2007 10:19 AM

Nice hat!

Posted by: Hope at May 10, 2007 10:23 AM

Can we get a shot with the sunglasses and the silly hat? That would really make a statement. I'm not sure what that statement would be, but it would certainly say something.

Posted by: Jen at May 10, 2007 10:32 AM

I think the pose for the first one is fine, but it's a little dark overall, and the lights are casting shadows under your eyes. Also you might want to consider wearing a shirt that contrasts the background. Depending on what they do with the picture it may wash out.

Posted by: Adam at May 10, 2007 10:35 AM

Crop out everything except your head in the last one. I think that would be a winner. It has a sort of, "I'm free-balling and there's not a damn thing you can do about it" look to it, which is great for articles and book jackets.

Posted by: You can call me, 'Sir' at May 10, 2007 10:43 AM

ROFLMAO Thanks, this old girl needed the smile.
I am home and back to cruising the Internet. The surgery went well, and once the eye is healed I will be commenting more.

Posted by: Maribeth at May 10, 2007 10:48 AM

As long as you're doing re-shoots, how about one with a mullet? Failing that, go with the rose.

Posted by: alison at May 10, 2007 10:57 AM

I think the one with the book is honesty the best!

Posted by: Claire at May 10, 2007 10:58 AM

I would go with the hat. The tie says business, the hat says fun, and together they say PLAY'A.

Posted by: whit at May 10, 2007 11:10 AM

you didn't consider the ole wet-wipe-as-hat idea?? have you learned no style secrets from mia? :)

Posted by: ali at May 10, 2007 11:16 AM

I also suspect the toilet in the bathroom was more useful than is typically the case in a photo shoot. And I agree with Brad that you need a picture that captures more of your personality. I say strap on a... what are those guitars called? You know what I mean. One of those. And rock out in front of that giant wall of CDs while Beth snaps away. I'm sure it'd look great. Though perhaps not exactly as headshot-y as your interviewee is looking for. I'm starting to see why you had so many trial runs...

Posted by: Laura GF at May 10, 2007 11:18 AM

Number one - only stop squinting. :)
Personally, they're all adorable.

Posted by: sue at May 10, 2007 11:22 AM

omg that made me laugh. #1 makes you look like Duckie. I kinda dig the Mr. Anderson one. Or the last one.

You are one interesting cat I'll tell ya that.

Posted by: Laurie at May 10, 2007 11:26 AM

I personally am a fan of your Smokin' In The Boys Room look....scholarly without being pretentious ;)

Posted by: Amy at May 10, 2007 11:27 AM

Uh....personall? I like the one with the dress shirt, tie and cargo shorts. I'd hire you.

Posted by: wordgirl at May 10, 2007 11:33 AM

See, it's all in where the article will be published. Personally, I think you should use the one of you in the shorts. It speaks to me of you, whatever that means. If you're insistent on a head shot, go with the book. Although again, depends on the venue!

Posted by: Elaine at May 10, 2007 11:55 AM

I like the flower in the mouth shot, personally.

Also, the first two pics are kinda scary. In the first one you look a little constipated (which, in all fairness, you might have been, but still), and in the second one you look like one of the scary twin guys from The Matrix.

Oh, and in the very last one, you've got a little Jack Nicholson in The Shining action going on.

Posted by: Contrary at May 10, 2007 12:06 PM

The one with the hat of course. You don't want to be taken too seriously do you? :-)

Posted by: Jessica at May 10, 2007 12:09 PM

I like the one with the rose but really can't pick unless I know what the article is for and where it will be published?

Posted by: Jenn at May 10, 2007 12:18 PM

In the dictionary next to "too much time on hands", I see your picture. Odd.

Posted by: Sparkle Pants at May 10, 2007 12:20 PM

I think the photo choice depends on what the article is for... and what it is suppose to be saying about you.

All great shots. Gotta ask... is that the toilet reflected in your sunglasses?

Posted by: Colleen at May 10, 2007 12:20 PM

Your posts have been particularly excellent this week, my friend. Really top notch thinking, writing, and entertaining.

Posted by: Vaguely Urban at May 10, 2007 1:06 PM

I love the last one. But the one in Mia's hat rocks as well. If you reshoot, I'd suggest trying one with a smile. Or you could just use the one of you airborne playing guitar while mia looks on. I love that picture.

Posted by: Annie, The Evil Queen at May 10, 2007 2:23 PM

YOU ARE SO MCHOTTIE!! (tell mchottie wife I said so!) My vote...probably the first or second one...you would definately make my husband jealous..(not like that..he is super STR8) but his wife on the other hand...WHOOO DOGGIE!
Cheryl-your biggest fan in St. Louis

Posted by: Cheryl at May 10, 2007 2:29 PM

I don't wear underwear a lot of the time either (hey, you brought it up -- I wouldn't have said anything otherwise).

What's the article for?

Posted by: Zandria at May 10, 2007 2:43 PM

Okay, I think I might be in agreement with some of the other about a re-shoot. But, if you're going to pick from just these then either the one with the book or the last one. The last one is just, well, sexy.

Posted by: Dianna at May 10, 2007 2:54 PM

I agree with Elaine.

Posted by: Amaya at May 10, 2007 3:00 PM

Going commando? But why do you look so pensive in all of the head shots? You should feel, well, free.

So, what papers do we we have to find to read about you?

Posted by: oakley at May 10, 2007 3:30 PM

Well, if I'm being totally honest, I like the last one the best. There's just something about it that captures your unpigeonholeness.

Posted by: Traci at May 10, 2007 3:41 PM

I'm totally going to have to go w/ the Mr Anderson look, although I'm a big fan of the last pic too - what with you being all commando & what not! lol

Posted by: Kris at May 10, 2007 4:12 PM

I like the one in the doorway. Why just tell us you are commando - where's the proof? LOL

Posted by: Anna at May 10, 2007 6:39 PM

i am 'de-lurking' because this just absolutely cracked me up! i so enjoy reading your posts and rarely if ever de-lurk, anywhere. but you provided the perfect end to a long, hard day at work and i simply had to thank you for...well...being you! and i have to agree with everyone thus far, the final picture is most appealing. reflects who i imagine you to be from reading your blog: funny/sexy/cool.

Posted by: dsc at May 10, 2007 7:35 PM

I'd vote for the Mr. Anderson one, but your sunglasses are a bit crooked, and I can't stop noticing that rather than the face behind the lenses. So I like the tango one best,.. you look very serious and silly and fun and skeptical and everything - all at once.

Posted by: Heather at May 10, 2007 8:02 PM

Okay, so I've been wondering this [is there a reason you're growing your hair THAT long?] a long time, but I've never said anything because I thought maybe you were just busy, your barber moved, whatever, etc. Since you're talking about needing a head shot, I've got to say (and I hope you don't think I'm being rude) your hair looked much better shorter, and you looked more professional, clean cut, and younger that way as well.

Posted by: Kera at May 10, 2007 8:14 PM

I would first need to know who the artical is for... and if you want serious answers.

Posted by: Amber at May 10, 2007 8:41 PM

huh. 1st pic makes me laugh...2nd pic, your glasses are crooked. (hehe)...3rd pic is pretty cute...4th is prolly my fav, but I'm a dork...5th isn't worth discussing (kidding)...and the 6th...

Posted by: Michele at May 10, 2007 10:27 PM

I say re-shoot - I have always been partial to knee shots, but I may be alone there.
So, what is the dirt on Motley Crue? I still can't believe that I got to see Tommy in the rotating drum set back in the day... I was so out of my element, but my one night trip into rocker chick land was like a weird version of Hotel California...
oh wait, now I may have shared too much myself.

Posted by: blair at May 10, 2007 10:44 PM

I say go with the one that looks like Hugo Weaving. Nothing says business like the Matrix.

Posted by: aimee/greeblemonkey at May 11, 2007 1:04 AM

definitely not the sunglasses one (unless you take it again) because i can't stop noticing the toilet that's reflected in the sunglasses

Posted by: Denise at May 11, 2007 1:07 AM

definitely the doorway shot. definitely.

Posted by: ewe_are_here at May 11, 2007 10:39 AM

You do Mr Anderson really well.

Posted by: arwen at May 11, 2007 1:00 PM

um...all are awesome.

Posted by: Isabel at May 11, 2007 4:18 PM

oooh, touch up the smokin' in the boys' room one in B&W to give it more James Dean flair!

Posted by: at May 11, 2007 5:27 PM

I really like smokin in the boys room the best, but I guess it would have to depend on what the article is about. Since you said it isn't a big deal, go with something kind of silly. If you were trying to be all humble, go with the business man.

Posted by: jessica fantastica at May 12, 2007 6:42 AM

I say lets do the tango look...loved it... HAHAHAHA!!!

Posted by: Dee at May 14, 2007 11:01 PM