May 29, 2007

Postponement of Reality

Tomorrow - if I have time between now and then - I'll comb through the hundreds (literally) of pictures we took and recap the vacation in bite-sized pieces. But not today. We're checking out of our hotel in a couple of hours, heading back to reality. But not right now. We've got a few hours left to hit the beach, walk the boardwalk, eat another bucket of fries, buy salt-water taffy and maybe play a last round of ski-ball.

Beth remarked over the weekend that this was really our first family vacation, as in the three of us. I hadn't really thought of that, come up with that milestone but it's true. I realize Mia probably won't remember it but I always will. It's been wonderful.

I'll deal with reality in a couple of hours. Right now I'd much rather drink a cup of coffee and listen to the waves.

photo by Beth
Posted by Chris at May 29, 2007 7:38 AM
Comments

you will always remember the first offical family vacation. life is wonderful!

Posted by: maya Kazanjian at May 29, 2007 7:56 AM

you will always remember the first offical family vacation. life is wonderful!

Posted by: maya Kazanjian at May 29, 2007 7:56 AM

Be so glad you did not leave yesterday. It took us 7 hours to get back w/ a sick toddler and a sick mommy.

Posted by: jodi at May 29, 2007 8:02 AM

Looks like your first family vacation was a success!

Posted by: Fraulein N at May 29, 2007 8:32 AM

What a beautiful picture and such happy sentiments. I'm so glad that your first family vacation was so much fun!

Posted by: Maribeth at May 29, 2007 8:44 AM

Congratulations on what sounds like a great first family vacation. Mia may not remember on her own... but your photos will give her all of those memories!

Posted by: Colleen at May 29, 2007 9:01 AM

Glad your vacation was such a success. It seems like Mia got over being bothered by the sand.

Posted by: alison at May 29, 2007 9:38 AM

I'm glad the first official family vacation is going very well. Have a great last day at the beach!

Posted by: bad penguin at May 29, 2007 10:13 AM

You'll remember the vaction and you'll share it with her in pictures and in stories.

Love the shot.

Lucky dog.

Posted by: Michele at May 29, 2007 10:28 AM

What an outstanding picture, Beth. May this, your first family vacation, be one of many!!

Posted by: Dawn at May 29, 2007 11:12 AM

Looking forward to the vacation pictures! Can't wait to see Mia all tanned! And don't worry -- she'll have the pictures to "remember" this vacation by.

Posted by: coolchick at May 29, 2007 11:21 AM

Sounds like it was a wonderful family vacation... and lots of memories and pictures always help!

Posted by: sue at May 29, 2007 11:26 AM

Hooray for skee-ball, the best game ever! Mia may not remember it, but that's half the goodness of your and Beth's blogs, Chris: you give her those memories.

Posted by: alektra at May 29, 2007 11:59 AM

Glad you all had a good time! :)

So, so important to take vacation (and something most of us Americans forget to do).

Posted by: sunchaser at May 29, 2007 12:10 PM

I am so happy you all had fun. That is a beautiful photo. Thank you for sharing with us.

Posted by: Anna at May 29, 2007 12:18 PM

You or Beth need to make Mia a little photo album with a handful of pics from the trip. Let her keep them with her toys and periodically remind her of the trip. She'll always remember it. It's amazing the trips I still remember while being little. They can all be traced back to photos and old super 8 movies my dad took.

Posted by: Johnny "Martha Stewart" Smoke at May 29, 2007 12:34 PM

Mia may not remember it, but I'll bet that she loves hearing about it later. Great photo by the way.

Did she get over her dislike of sand?

Posted by: Phoenix at May 29, 2007 2:17 PM

We keep a travel journal of all of our family trips. We put snapshots in it, we tape in those pressed pennies you can get from all the tourist traps, and we stick in any plane tickets or hotel memorabilia we can find. I refuse to call it a scrapbook, because that term is just not what it used to be. I don't want anyone to think I spend hours cutting the pictures with strange crimping scissors and layering textured paper to make the memories "POP" off the paper.

My oldest will be 5 in just a few months, and we have taken over 12 trips in just the last 4 years. She loves looking back at the places we have been together.

Posted by: JEn at May 29, 2007 4:02 PM

Great picture! First family holidays are the best, aren't they? Enjoy your last hours of THIS holiday. I am sure there will be many more!

Posted by: Nadine at May 29, 2007 4:09 PM

This vacation sounds like a keeper. There's nothing quite like a stack of books, a sandy beach and a beer to relax me. Can't wait to see your pictures.

Posted by: wordgirl at May 29, 2007 5:28 PM

Some of my favorite childhood memories are on the shores of my hometown. I can remember falling asleep after a day at the beach and still feeling like I was floating on water, rocking back and forth with the current.

What an awesome first family vacation.

Posted by: krystyn at May 29, 2007 7:44 PM

I'm not sure if I had a first family vacation until I was a teenager. Mia's a lucky gal -- that looks like a perfect trip!

Posted by: angela at May 29, 2007 7:47 PM

Glad to hear you've enjoyed the vacation! We have yet to go on our first "family vacation" that doesn't involve visiting relatives.

Posted by: Amy at May 29, 2007 10:15 PM

I HAVE STARTED BLOGGING!! Going to need your help! Check out my URL =)

Posted by: Cheryl at May 30, 2007 1:27 PM