June 28, 2007

Bullet Point Thursday (Now With Extra Bea Arthur)

I don't know about you, but I'm beat. I'm resorting to bullet points today. Hope you don't mind mini-nuggets of goodness instead of my normal long-windedness.

• Our home inspection was last night. It was long. But, I guess where inspecting is being done, long is okay. It gave me three hours to spend in what will be our new place. I like it. I can definitely see us living there.
  • I've had no unusual elevator incidents for the last 24 hours. That's something of a record.
  • I bought the new Kelly Clarkson album. I haven't listened to it yet and, while I am interested in it, that's not the reason I bought it. Here's this American Idol roped in by corporate giants and expected to give up her own artistic freedom and record songs written by hired guns. And she refused. Sticking it to the man? That, to me, is American Idolworthy. That said, if Clay Aiken did something similarly rebellious, he's on his own.
  • I walked out of the parking garage I normally park in when I'm in DC yesterday morning. It's next to a subway stop. Right outside the subway, was a dude playing one of the most startlingly beautiful saxophone solos ever. It was 7:00 in the morning. Instead of seeming odd, it seemed perfect. I'm not sure why, but it did.
  • Can I please ask why anyone gives a shit about Larry King? People seem to think of him as some exalted broadcaster when all he is is an obnoxious feebed-out guy who wears suspenders and asks really dumb questions.
  • I know stress is getting to me when my dreams start getting out of control. And last night was sure a humdinger. In my dream I was a moderately successful record producer. I was in the studio, running the boards and grooving to the tunes playing back over the studio monitors. the stuff was good. Heavy metal but melodic and slightly bluesy. The vocals were something else. I'd never heard anything quite like it. It was then that I realized I was recording Bea Arthur's heavy metal comeback album.

Posted by Chris at June 28, 2007 7:14 AM
Comments

The thing that always gets me about Larry King is the fact that he's been married and divorced about a jillion different times. So not only one person, but many, were strangely attracted to him?!

shudder

Posted by: ewe_are_here at June 28, 2007 7:28 AM

I have to say, I like the bullets. They work perfectly well with my scarily short attention span today. Hope the inspection went well!

Posted by: Jessie at June 28, 2007 7:31 AM

You know buying and selling a house is INCREDIBLY stressful??

I did think of you when I got on a hospital elevator yesterday. No freaks though. Unless you count me.

Posted by: Debbie at June 28, 2007 7:33 AM

You know, I was going to send you a very serious e-mail today asking for some music, as we are redoing our cd collection/iTunes and trying to get everything in order.

The I read this Kelly Clarkson nonsense...

I thought I knew you.

Posted by: Sarah, Goon Squad Sarah at June 28, 2007 8:46 AM

Any Sax is good Sax. I like Sax in the morning.

Posted by: William at June 28, 2007 8:52 AM

I'm actually quite into the new Kelly Clarkson album. I've got all of hers, actually, and enjoy them each for their own reason. I admire her for standing up in what she believes in and making her own kind of music.

Posted by: Emily at June 28, 2007 9:06 AM

I usually dream about Snoop Dogg. Bea Arthur might be a winner though.

Nice work.

Posted by: Chantel at June 28, 2007 9:07 AM

I would totally buy that Bea Arthur metal comeback album. I think. Let us know how the Kelly Clarkson is.

Posted by: Fraulein N at June 28, 2007 9:26 AM

Bullet points are great. I can't tell you how many times I've had random thoughts piling up in my brain... when I get to a certain level, I have to do a bulleted post. That's just how it is.

Dude? Seriously? A Bea Arthur heavy metal comeback album? You're scaring me. And? Let us know how the new KC album is... I think we're all a little afraid to buy it since she cancelled her tour.

Posted by: ironic1 at June 28, 2007 10:05 AM

So, I assume house passed inspection?

I wish I could walk out of somewhere and hear a beautiful sax solo... love me a good sax sound. Lucky you.

Posted by: sue at June 28, 2007 10:22 AM

I love that you bought the Kelly Clarkson album for that reason - I've been thinking about doing the same thing! Although, I'll actually listen to the album at some point...

Posted by: erin at June 28, 2007 10:33 AM

I hope you flipped at least a coin of some kind into the sax dude's hat/box/case.

I'm pretty sure Larry King died a couple years ago. Since then, his 'people' have been propping him up and moving him around marionette-style. Oddly, this hasn't impacted the quality of his interviews.

I'll bet Bea Arthur could melt some serious faces by grabbing an axe and going to town on some Metallica or Black Sabbath covers.

Posted by: You can call me, 'Sir' at June 28, 2007 10:46 AM

I hope you at least tossed some kind of coin into the sax dude's hat/box/case.

I'll bet Bea Arthur could seriously melt some faces if she picked up an axe and belted out some Metallica or Black Sabbath.

Posted by: You can call me, 'Sir' at June 28, 2007 10:49 AM

I am in total agreement about Larry King.

Posted by: Sphincter at June 28, 2007 10:53 AM

Ha! Bea Arthur, what a gal!

Maybe she can do a duet with Larry King on that album!?

Posted by: sam at June 28, 2007 10:58 AM

Larry King gives me a big old case of the heebie jeebies. Always has, always will.

Why, oh why, do I not run across people playing the saxophone here? That shit would make my day.

Posted by: Contrary at June 28, 2007 10:58 AM

I was so furious during the Larry King interview with Paris Hilton. I kept asking, who is her publicist, and why would they ever choose for her to be interviewed by such a dinosaur? He's completely irrelevant and asks the most inane questions. It was one of the most awkward, uncomfortable interviews I've seen since he interviewed James Frey. Blech.

Posted by: Jen at June 28, 2007 11:01 AM

Kelly Clarkson and Bea Arthur in one post - wow!

Posted by: Kathryn at June 28, 2007 11:08 AM

if the Bea Arthur album was anything like the Pat Boone heavy metal gig, LOVE IT!!

and the Kelly Clarkson album isn't half-bad, not that I won it or anything ...

Posted by: Kathryn at June 28, 2007 11:10 AM

"I tend to believe that Larry dies a couple years ago and that his 'people' have been propping him up and moving him around marionette-style since. Oddly, this doesn't seem to have impacted his interview skillz one way or the other."

Love it! :)

But since when is Paris Hilton relevant?

Posted by: sunchaser at June 28, 2007 11:16 AM

Bea Arthur's comeback: One step below that of Adrienne Barbeau

Posted by: wordgirl at June 28, 2007 11:56 AM

Bea Arthur's comeback: One step below that of Adrienne Barbeau

Posted by: wordgirl at June 28, 2007 11:56 AM

I was always bothered by Larry finishing his guests' sentences for them but thought there must be something wrong with me.

I did watch a little of the interview and then turned it back off.

Posted by: ann adams at June 28, 2007 12:40 PM

Since the Kelly Clarkston bullet made me truly laugh out loud when I got to the Clay reference I've decided to also buy her albumn.

Posted by: Jody at June 28, 2007 1:22 PM

All I can say (to add to the stress) is that, once you get the new house, does Mia get a dog or cat?

Posted by: Maribeth at June 28, 2007 2:39 PM

Bea Arthur? That ranks up there with Ehtel Merman making a comeback (and yes I know that would be hard since she is 6 feet under...but it is a dream).

I like Kelly Clarkson...she is one of my guilty pleasures.

Posted by: kali at June 28, 2007 2:57 PM

I quite enjoyed the bullet post, actually. They provide a lot of insight into your quirkiness ;-) Also, I'm curious to hear what you think about the KC album.

Posted by: Heather at June 28, 2007 4:43 PM

My best friend videotaped the home inspection when she bought her last house. She wanted to make sure she captured any issues or comments the inspector made. Plus it helped her plan her furniture layout etc.

And I totally agree about Larry King.

Posted by: coolchick at June 28, 2007 9:46 PM

I am with on Larry King, Kelly Clarkson - but definitely NOT Bea Arthur. You're on your own there, dude.

Posted by: aimee/greeblemonkey at June 28, 2007 10:26 PM

I LOVED LARRY KING in Shrek 2!!!

Posted by: august at June 29, 2007 9:19 PM