June 29, 2007

Schadenfreude Friday: Tennis & The King

Yep, plenty of schadenfreude this week. Sit back and enjoy the stupidity of others.

Knickers + Wimbledon = Twist

Wimbledon is getting its knickers in a twist. Tatiana Golovin had the Wimbledon referee reaching for his rule book when she sought to appear on court wearing red underwear. Was she violating the "predominantly white" dress code laid down by the tournament that is such a stickler for sartorial etiquette?

The fashion guardians of good taste at the world's most genteel tennis tournament gave the French player the go-ahead after much discussion about hemlines and where they stopped and started. Explaining the decision, a Wimbledon spokesman said on Thursday: "They were cleared with the referee in advance by the player. On the basis that they are underwear, they do not have to conform to the predominantly white rule.

Look, I think I have the solution. Just ban underwear altogether. I bet the play stays just as strong and attendance skyrockets.

Larry Never Knows
I'm no huge Beatles fan but I wouldn't argue with anyone who said that they were the single most important influence on modern popular music. As we all know, John Lennon was shot outside his home - the famed Dakota - in New York City in 1980. George Harrison passed away in 1991. Ringo and Paul are still very much alive. In fact, they were interviewed along with Yoko Ono and Harrison's widow by Larry King earlier this week

I'm not a huge Beatles fan but I wouldn't argue with anyone who said they were the single most important influence on modern popular music. Sadly, only half of the Fab Four are still with us. This is common knowledge. Or so we thought. Here's what happened when Larry King interviewed Paul, Ringo, George Harrison's widow and Yoko Ono:

McCartney: Yes, my manager at the time called me. And it was just the shock of all shocks, you know?
King: George, where were you?
McCartney: George!
King: Ringo.
McCartney: No, this is Ringo here.
King: Ringo, where were you?
Starr: I was in the Bahamas.
King: I was getting to (INAUDIBLE) George.
Starr: I was...
McCartney: No, you weren't, Larry. You said his name wrong.
Starr: Shut up, it's my turn.
McCartney: I know, but he got your name wrong, Ringo, on national television.
Starr: I know. Give him a break.
McCartney: We can't cut it. It's live.

Uh, awkward! He followed this question up by asking Paul what Smoke On The Water was written about and prodded Starr about his penchant for biting the heads off of bats. I guess I should go easy on King. After all, he was in his mid seventies when the Beatles rose to fame.

I wish you all a merry weekend. Happy Friday, folks.

Posted by Chris at June 29, 2007 7:20 AM
Comments

Larry King getting the beatles wrong, I am ot a fan either but That's like confsuing Moe for Curly.

Posted by: William at June 29, 2007 8:09 AM

Larry King is about my least favorite news person, followed closely by Nancy Grace. CNN is batting zero with me lately. Suffice it to say I missed this interview because I haven't watched Larry King since James Frey was on.

P.S. George Harrison died in 2001.

Posted by: Jessie at June 29, 2007 8:32 AM

Wow. As I refuse to watch Larry King I totally missed that - but that's hilarious. Even I know which Beatle is which and I wasn't even born when they were bigger than Jesus...

Posted by: suze at June 29, 2007 8:33 AM

I wouldn't have put it past Larry to ask have asked George (when he was living) how he managed to have time to be a music icon PLUS do all of the tanning as well as do all of those cracker commercials.

Posted by: wordgirl at June 29, 2007 8:59 AM

I wouldn't have put past Larry to be so out of it that he asked George Harrison (when he was living) how he managed to have enough time to be a musical icon...we well as his excessive tanning and cracker commercials. "George knows toasted!"

Posted by: wordgirl at June 29, 2007 9:01 AM

You don't even mention Larry King's "Paris" interview? It just proved that this guy needs to go to a retirement home somewhere. Man, he is just so old and vague!

Posted by: Maribeth at June 29, 2007 9:28 AM

ya know, im not big on the beatles, but even i knew george was dead. even if you dont listen to their music, how can you miss that?

Posted by: steph at June 29, 2007 9:34 AM

Larry King: That's just sooooo wrong. Geez. Doesn't the man do any PREP?

Posted by: sue at June 29, 2007 9:47 AM

Paul's always been too nice a guy. Same with Ringo. It would've been awesome if they'd taken their shoes off and started beating Larry with them while chasing him around the desk and yelling, "You want to interview George, Larry?!? Step one: Die!!!".

I'd say he earned a good shoe beating, anyhow.

Posted by: You can call me, 'Sir' at June 29, 2007 10:45 AM

Nancy Grace is worse. She's right up there with "she who will not be named". You know, the one who attacked (or tried to) Elizabeth Edwards.

Have a great weekend.

Posted by: ann adams at June 29, 2007 10:50 AM

oh. my. god. i am soooo wishing i had caught that train-wreck of an interview.

Posted by: b. at June 29, 2007 10:50 AM

I just love that Paul was calling him on his shit. I know his old ass is senile, but doesn't he have a research staff? Can't they just fucking whisper the questions to him on his headset so he doesn't look like such a tard?

Oh, and did you hear that Larry King has the exclusive first interview with Paris Hilton?

Larry: Paris, how did you feel when your husband, Kurt Cobain killed himself?

Paris: Uh.

Posted by: Contrary at June 29, 2007 1:08 PM

That old dinosaur needs to retire or go back to the batcave.

He is just scary.

I agree about underware at Wimbledon. What about just making it clothing optional if the players don't want to wear white? That would put a new spin on the ball boys.

Posted by: Kali at June 29, 2007 3:00 PM

How do you not even know who you are interviewing? How does that happen? And the Beatles? Everyone knows which is which.

I ca't believe you passed on the Elizabeth Edwards call. I thought you'd be chomping at the bit.

Posted by: Annie, The Evil Queen at June 29, 2007 3:07 PM

This is really random -- but I've heard that Larry King has a gas problem, so they have fans blowing away from his butt on the set.

Posted by: sandra at June 29, 2007 5:03 PM

Okay, so the comment from Sandra about Larry's gas problem is hilarious.

You know it's time to retire when you can't even remember what Beatle is what.

Posted by: Isabel at June 29, 2007 5:22 PM

hah. I love that last dig... so that would make him... really really old, huh?

Posted by: August at June 29, 2007 9:16 PM

Stupid, stupid Larry King. And I never really understood the need for white still today. WTF?

When in early August are you moving? Still have time for a rambling stranger? :)

Posted by: alektra at June 29, 2007 9:52 PM

What? The Chris Benoit story had schadenfreude written all over it?

Thank you for sharing the Larry King Beatles blurb. That was ridiculous!

Posted by: coolchick at June 29, 2007 10:12 PM

I think he was mentally preparing for his interview with Paris Hilton!

Posted by: Nadine at June 30, 2007 3:33 PM

That just cements it for me that Larry K should be boycotted for life.

Posted by: Rori at July 1, 2007 3:50 AM

This and Paris! By listening to information such as this, would think Larry King was just some old, senile, media hack.
By the way, Harrison died in 2001.

Posted by: Eeek at July 2, 2007 11:28 AM