June 22, 2007

Schadenfreude Friday: A Nifong In Your Back

We all know by now that the Duke rape case was bogus. We know that instead of a march towards justice, District Attorney Mike Nifong overplayed his prosecutorial hand - and lied - when he pursued the case against three Duke lacrosse players. Last weekend, upon the conclusion of ethics hearings which ended in his disbarment, Nifong resigned.

from ABC News...

The stunning announcement — following a year in which Nifong vigorously refused calls to drop an ever weakening case, and later, widespread calls to resign — capped an emotionally charged day of testimony in Nifong's trial before the North Carolina State Bar.

Nifong's announcement pre-empts his possibly forced removal from office. Punishment for the disciplinary violations he is accused of include disbarment, could have forced the longtime prosecutor to step down.

And while this development is, as the article suggests, somewhat stunning, what's even more shocking is the fact that, for once in my life, I actually agree with something Ann Coulter said.
Nifong has tried to portray himself as simply making "mistakes." This is absurd. Not even a half-wit like Nifong could have believed "something happened in that bathroom," as he said during his disbarment hearing last weekend. He was willing to send three innocent men to prison to improve his electoral viability in a heavily black district and to become a liberal hero in Manhattan salons.

Now, I don't know what about this issue could be construed as liberal or conservative. This isn't immigration, healthcare reform or abortion. It's really about right and wrong. So, aside from that last sentence, I happen to agree. Look! Up in the sky! Pigs. Flying! Although not so fast. Coulter later states:
Second-rate liberals who went to mediocre schools and married mediocre women are burning with jealousy from their nondescript, mediocre jobs. So they use their government jobs to attack their betters and sneer about the players' "daddies." Like so much injustice in America, this whole sick spectacle was the revenge of the mediocre against the successful. Stupid and envious is a bad combo platter.

To be completely honest, like so much of the crap that spews from that great big hole in her face, I don't really know what Coulter is trying to say here. But surely I can't agree with her twice in one day.

Posted by Chris at June 22, 2007 7:04 AM
Comments

I am not a big Coulter fan. I like her because she is "hard hitting" with some of her statements that sometimes I think people just need to say. But I always equate her with what i call the South Philly Sneak.

The South Philly Sneak is when a few people are fighting, someone, who is not involved in the fight, walks up, throws a punch, and walks away without a scratch. They get their licks in but without the price of getting hit themselves.

She would throw gas on a fire, make it worse, but then claim she did not start the fire so it was okay.

Posted by: William at June 22, 2007 8:17 AM

I read her second statement about 5 times and I still can't figure out what it means.....

Posted by: Lisa at June 22, 2007 8:28 AM

I guess she thinks that it was Niflong's envy of those player's "daddies" that drove him to do what he did. She really doesn't make much sense.

And you agreed with her. The cows are definitely coming home.

Posted by: nila at June 22, 2007 8:55 AM

Yeah, the second excerpt from whatshername made no sense. Maybe it's boilerplate material...she just attaches it to the end of every piece, regardless of topic.

Living in NC, my heart overflowed with sweet sweet schadenfreude while listening to the reports of Nifong's disbarment. The only thing that would've made it sweeter would've been if the reporters had tracked down every black pastor and white housewife in Raleigh that grabbed the spotlight by organizing hate rallies in front of both Duke and the fraternity house and asked them to comment on the turn of events.

Posted by: You can call me, 'Sir' at June 22, 2007 9:04 AM

Wait. He did something stupid to improve his "electoral viability" ?? Conservatives would never do something like that. *rolls his eyes*

Posted by: Kaz at June 22, 2007 9:24 AM

Even on the rare occasion when she almost makes sense in one sentence, she cancels it out in the next.

Posted by: ann adams at June 22, 2007 10:01 AM

Yeah, I never did get Coulter, and frankly, I could give a rat's ass about what she has to say about politics or anything at all, because, well, I just am not that interested in politics. (But I always enjoy what YOU have to say... but I digress.)

Anywho... I'm glad this Nifong dude got nailed to the wall. But what I REALLY want to hear and see is the name of the "woman" who started all this shit with her accusations of rape. She should NOT be sheltered and remain anonymous. Her claims were BOGUS and she should be held accountable for them.

Being a woman, rape is NOT a joke to me. Though I have never been raped (and hope to gawd that I, or anyone I know, never have that experience), I know it is a serious and sensitive subject/crime. BUT, people CANNOT go around claiming to be raped when they clearly were not. This woman should not be spared the ridicule and hate that was not spared the lacrosse players who were publicly accused and raked over the coals. It's just plain wrong.

/soapbox

Posted by: ironic1 at June 22, 2007 11:58 AM

She's a fool.

That is all.

Posted by: Janet at June 22, 2007 12:22 PM

"like so much of the crap that spews from that great big hole in her face"

Haha! :)

"Like so much injustice in America, this whole sick spectacle was the revenge of the mediocre against the successful."

She is soooo full of it.

Posted by: sunchaser at June 22, 2007 12:36 PM

Conservative or liberal, what happened to those young men is totally wrong. Nifong should be in jail. Period!

Posted by: Maribeth at June 22, 2007 12:53 PM

Wow, a DA fell on his sword. It will be another 100 years before we see this again. Houston just reported that 95% of the lie detector tests given between 2004-2006 were given incorrectly. The police chief maintains justice was still served and that lie detectors were only part of the decision. I'm a broken record, everyone is still guilty. We've followed procedures. Don't ask us questions, don't look behind the curtain! Fuck you! Fuck your questions about our ability to carry out justice! We did the fucking lie detectors correctly.

In other times these officials would have been taken out and taught a lesson.

Posted by: Johnny Smoke at June 23, 2007 2:41 AM

Can someone explain to me why anyone cares what she thinks? (Is she like a Republican Paris Hilton or something?)

Posted by: Nat at June 23, 2007 1:44 PM

I totally don't understand what Coulter is saying 90% of the time either. But then, I'm a liberal in a mediocre government job so maybe I am just jealous of my betters.

Betters? Really? She said betters?

Posted by: Librarian Girl at June 23, 2007 8:55 PM

Betters? Really? She said betters?

Posted by: Librarian Girl at June 23, 2007 8:56 PM

I once agreed with something Rush said and I felt dirty for a week.

As the mother of a son, this case scared me silly. As a woman, I'm furious that anyone would make a false rape charge knowing what it will do to the lives of others. I hope the woman is prosecuted for false statements.

Posted by: Annie, The Evil Queen at June 24, 2007 2:18 PM

First, Chris, I do understand what she's TRYING to say:

1) That liberals want to have a poor black woman raped by privileged white young men, because then they can "save" her, taking her side and condemning the rich white men. Probably true

2) That class wars are the true motivation behind the D.A.'s movements. I can see this, too.

3) That those in such positions like the former D.A. try to take what "revenge" they can on the rich. Here's the funny part to me.

One doesn't take revenge unless something was done first. So, take heart, Ann is a moron, because she admits there's revenge, but not that there's a reason for that revenge.

As for everyone's anger about the accuser's anonymity, yes, it's difficult to understand in this situation, but if every date rape accusation (he said she said) ended in our finding out who the woman was when the court said "not guilty" (remember, that's not "innocent", either), who would come forward?

Posted by: alektra at June 25, 2007 10:43 AM