June 10, 2007

The Rude Cactus Father's Day Gift Guide

So, Father's Day is a week away and you're wondering what should I get my dad or husband or boyfriend or brother who happens to have a kid for Father's Day. See, I can read your mind. Because we're tight like that. Anyway, some really kind folks sent me some free stuff to take a peek at and see if they stuck to the high Rude Cactus Standards of Quality. Some might make pretty decent Father's Day gifts.

First up is, of course, TrueBlueberry blueberry juice. Because nothing says I love you dad quite like the juice of a tiny berry. Okay, okay, I'll admit this isn't the greatest Father's Day gift but if your dad happens to be a blueberry enthusiast, he'll love it. This stuff - a mixture of blueberry and grape juice - ain't at all bad. It's a little on the sweet side and it's only half juice. But the other half is augmented by real cane sugar, not corn syrup. It passed the Mia Test too. She loved the stuff and kept asking for more.

Next, the Rolling Stones. You can't actually buy them but who'd want to? The care and feeding alone would be a real pain in the ass. And the drunken groupies camping out on your lawn would piss off the neighbors. But you can bring home a little piece of their latest world tour. The Biggest Bang is a 7-hour, 4 DVD set documenting their most recent world tour. It captures shows at a few incredible locations and features 55 songs. Including Gimme Shelter, I know because I looked for that first. Hands down, their best song. Anyway, if dad's a Stones fan, check it out.

Finally, for the dad who hits the road armed with a laptop, check out the Rocketfish Twister Wireless Mouse. I'm frequently on client sites and I miss having my docking station, keyboard, monitor and mouse. And there's almost nothing more inconvenient than my laptop's trackpad. This little mouse is simple to connect and functions as a full-featured mouse. It's compact yet fits nicely in your hand (well, mine, at least) but is, at the same time, easy to throw in a pocket of your laptop bag. I plugged the USB wireless transmitter (about half the size of a normal thumb drive) in and I was good to go. I didn't have to install any software or go through the hassle of adding hardware. If you've got a dad on the go, this makes a great gift.

Now you've got no excuses for not finding a good Father's Day gift this year. Oh, and special thanks to the folks who sent me free stuff!

Posted by Chris at June 10, 2007 12:53 PM
Comments

Someday, I will be as cool as you and get free stuff for blogging. But until then, awesome for you.

Except for the blueberry juice. All I can think of is Veruca Salt. The character, not the band.

Posted by: alektra at June 10, 2007 1:22 PM

So Chris, I love your blog. But this really feels like selling out. Just glad it didn't get prime weekday real estate.

(Though, getting free stuff sounds pretty cool. Glad you mentioned that fact.)

Posted by: Jen at June 10, 2007 1:24 PM

Those gifts sound swell,but I think I'll go with my usual gift of strippers and blow for dad. ;)

Posted by: trix at June 10, 2007 1:38 PM

I just bought Hubby his father's day gift. A new Yard Man Lawn Mower. Nothing says father quite like a nifty piece of equipment! LOL

Posted by: Maribeth at June 10, 2007 2:54 PM

What a great idea! The wireless mouse. That's what he is getting...plus I gots a $20 coupon for Best Buy!!

Posted by: Debbie at June 10, 2007 3:59 PM

Hell, I would be happy with the new Wilco CD.

Posted by: whit at June 10, 2007 5:07 PM

I think i'll wake up to a load of dishes and a hang over from a drunk were going on next weekend. ugh. Thank god our little monster will be at grammies that day. Hard to handle a rampant lunatic 6 yr old boy when you're hung like a bear :-P

Posted by: shaners at June 10, 2007 6:15 PM

Ok Burrito Boy...
What do you suggest for a dad to be? We are almost 3 months pregnant...moving in 2 weeks, and LOSING our minds. Idea for the Dad to be?? Maybe a massage somewhere? Dont want to buy anything that will have to be PACKED! He is one of those impossible men...

Posted by: Cheryl at June 10, 2007 8:53 PM

Didn't you suggest things last year for Father's Day? Seems like you did.

If people were going to give me stuff to plug/review, I'd do it all day long. It beats a real job and it's the American way. Build up your product/service/brand and sell it to someone who's willing to pay you crazy prices. Then you start all over and do it again. Small business it was REALLY makes this country run. Products + Promotion = Profits

Posted by: Johnny Smoke at June 10, 2007 10:57 PM

That juice IS pretty darn yummy.

Posted by: motherofbun at June 10, 2007 11:29 PM

That juice IS pretty darn yummy.

Posted by: motherofbun at June 10, 2007 11:29 PM

If I got my father anything by the Rolling Stones, he would quietly wrap it back up and declare that there had been a mistake in communication. His loss, poor man. And yes, "Gimme Shelter" is one of their best...if not THE best. I have a soft spot for "Brown Sugar", too.

Posted by: wordgirl at June 11, 2007 12:02 AM