June 4, 2007

Weekend Recap: Babies and Hard Labor (No Pun Intended)

This weekend was all about two things - Mia's new cousin and hard labor.

As I mentioned in my non-schadenfreude Schadenfreude Friday post (that hurt my brain to type), Beth's brother and his wife had a little girl on Thursday evening. We visited the hospital on Friday and took Mia over yesterday once the new improved family got themselves settled at home. We worked with Mia for days, getting her ready to interact with a baby. We went through the parts of the baby she could touch, the parts she couldn't, and strongly reinforced the concept of gentle. We seem to have been successful.

The rest of the weekend was devoted to getting our humble abode ready to be adored by others (hopefully). Yep, it's hitting the market soon. We completely redid one entire bathroom, floor and all. As an extra added bonus for the new owners, we touched up walls, baseboards and trim in nearly every room, did some light landscaping (although it was actually heavy since it involved hoisting a tree), spackled and replaced light fixtures. I'm fucking exhausted. And in a little bit of pain. I wrenched my shoulder, twisted my neck and for some strange reason my ass hurts although I really don't want to dwell on that one too much.

To top it off, I'm back at work after a week and a half of being off. My inbox is like a ship full of Tribbles - new email multiplying like it's going out of style, and I'm pretty sure I have shit on my calendar for today I haven't even heard of.

I'll be whipping up a cocktail of Advil and coffee. And laughing because spackle and trim sound dirty. Because I'm 12. And it's Monday. Oh is it Monday.

Posted by Chris at June 4, 2007 7:01 AM
Comments

"touched up the trim" definitely sounds dirty :-) Apparently, I'm also 12.

Love the photos of Mia with her new cousin.

Posted by: Maria at June 4, 2007 7:47 AM

Beautiful pictures.

We did a lot of the same work to our first house before selling it and it really paid off for us.

Posted by: Jenn at June 4, 2007 8:09 AM

What did you redo the bathroom floor with? Just curious...we are doing 2 very soon.

Posted by: Steff at June 4, 2007 8:40 AM

Hee hee, "trim." Also, your work with Mia seems to have paid off. In pictures of me holding a tiny relative at that age, I have a look of complete terror on my face.

Posted by: Fraulein N at June 4, 2007 8:53 AM

Congrats on the new neice, the pictures with Mia are beautiful.
I too had a Advil and coffee combo this morning. We ignored the work that has to be done inside our house for the yard work that was calling to us. I mowed almost an entire acre of lawn with a push mower. Then I wonder why I feel like every muscle in my body was found and beaten when I woke up this morning.

Posted by: Kim at June 4, 2007 8:55 AM

Beautiful pictures! Reminds me of when my oldest met her baby sister for the first time. I'm with you on the sore neck and shoulder(though the ass is OK) -- installed a new pool filter with the help of a neighbour and carting those 50 lb bags of sand to and fro was hard work. Now, looking at the green water, I just have to decide whether to add chlorine or just stock it with bass.

Posted by: alison at June 4, 2007 9:26 AM

mia sure looks like she'd be a great big sister... :)

Posted by: ali at June 4, 2007 9:37 AM

I always wanted a Tribble...

Adorable pics.

Good luck on the house-stuff!

Posted by: sue at June 4, 2007 9:53 AM

Don't those pictures make you want another kid? I mean come-on, Mia is so beautiful and you and Beth are really great parents!
(And no, I wasn't bribed by your folks to write this. I wish my own daughter would get off the stick (so to speak) and give me a grand-baby@! Boo-hoo!)

Posted by: Maribeth at June 4, 2007 10:27 AM

I think "tribble" should also be a very...as in "tribble the trim".

Posted by: kristen at June 4, 2007 11:55 AM

My fingers are numb from all that tribbling...meant to say it should also be a VERB.

Posted by: kristen at June 4, 2007 11:57 AM

I love using the word Tribbles. It's tough to do sometimes, but when done right: solid gold.

Posted by: aimee/greeblemonkey at June 4, 2007 12:09 PM

So cute! I'm so excited for them both!

And dude, I hear you on the abode-loving. We don't have a house, but it seems like it never ends...

Posted by: alektra at June 4, 2007 12:42 PM

The pictures are too adorable.

Also, speaking of Tribbles: http://granades.com/2007/05/02/loltrek/

Posted by: Dawn at June 4, 2007 12:57 PM

I love the last pic. It looks like she's thinking, "She's mine, right? I can keep her?"

But the REAL question is...which house? #1 or #2?

Posted by: Pammer at June 4, 2007 1:18 PM

Wow...such a handyman..with a dirty mind! Keep your "spackle" to yourself. Love the pictures, but one thing popped into my mind as soon as I saw them MIA NEEDS A BROTHER OR SISTER!! And Beth looks quite thrilled to be with the two also...SPACKLE AWAY! I know Beth was thinking of having another baby anything on the horizon on that plan? Toddler, moving, pregnant...great combo! Only thing I am missing is the toddler part! Hope your Monday is going well, as I am off to pack!
XOXO

Posted by: Cheryl at June 4, 2007 1:55 PM

How cute is Mia with little Payton! Beautiful pictures! And oh my, has she grown since the last time we saw here!

I can't help but noticing your commenter's would really like to have you to have a second baby!

Posted by: Nadine at June 4, 2007 2:30 PM

I love the Tribbles.

Sounds like you guys went all out getting the house ready. I'm tired just reading about it. Hope all of your hard work pays off.

"Trim" Ha.

Posted by: Annie, The Evil Queen at June 4, 2007 3:02 PM

I really can't believe how grown up Mia looks since I last had the internet. You'd think seven months was forever!

I hate moving house. I've not that the pleasure (ha!) of selling a house yet but I'm so not looking forward to having to do it all up before I leave.

Posted by: Katy at June 4, 2007 3:35 PM

advil and coffee cocktails make the world go round!

(thanks for the comment on my blog today, much appreciated!)

Posted by: meleah rebeccah at June 4, 2007 4:07 PM

You HOISTED a tree? Damn. My weekend/week/month wasn't even half so productive!

Posted by: Beth at June 4, 2007 4:08 PM

Shoot, you HAD to go back to work to get away from the home improvement gig! Sounds like you need a nap.

Cute pictures of the new baby and Mia!

Posted by: coolchick at June 4, 2007 8:09 PM

We are putting our house on the market in about a year, and we are already overwhelmed with those dumb little home improvement projects. I hate it!

Posted by: angela at June 4, 2007 9:27 PM

Wow! Good luck selling the house - I hope it goes better than ours did. We had 59 showings in 8 weeks - I felt like everyone and their mother had been poking around my humble home. Where are you moving to?

Posted by: Janice at June 4, 2007 9:47 PM

Dude, y'all accomplished so much this weekend! Monday is thankfully now over. :) Hopefully, Tuesday will offer fewer Outlook entries and bright happy sunshine. One can hope, right?

Posted by: Emily at June 4, 2007 10:35 PM

I hate it when you have to get your place ready for others to evaluate--and then you start thinking that it's not looking so bad after all. Maybe you'll stay...Like how your hair looks great on haircut day.

Posted by: Sphincter at June 4, 2007 11:05 PM

Jeez, that sounds like a lot of work! Good for you for getting all that taken care of at once. It must be a strange feeling to think about moving after being in your current house for so long. I'm sure it'll be nice, though. :)

Posted by: Zandria at June 5, 2007 9:21 AM

She looks like she did well! Cute.

Good luck on the house sale.

Posted by: Jenn at June 5, 2007 10:51 AM

I love these pictures. Mia is amazing with the baby as can be seen from the pics. I can see the wonder in her face and I love the fact that she got to hold the baby herself. Simply Beautiful!

Posted by: Dee at June 5, 2007 11:25 AM

watchout, world. two hottie cousins about to invade.

Posted by: b. at June 5, 2007 4:24 PM

The third photo reminds me so much of me with my lil cousin when I was 4...only difference was in the photo of me and my cuz, we were in a rocker and I was a slightly darker headed than Mia!

Posted by: christina at June 9, 2007 12:16 AM

Quelqu'un peut-il me dire comment obtenir les avatars peu à montrer dans ma section des commentaires? merci!

Posted by: Lancel at November 18, 2011 4:37 AM