June 18, 2007

Weekend Recap: George

I feel like a standard weekend recap is in order here but I just don't know where to start. See, it was kind of a crazy weekend.

The House:
We've made it through our first full weekend with a house on the market and we even popped our open house cherry on Sunday. All told, about a dozen people have been through. It's early but we're crossing our fingers. You mind crossing some of yours? Please?

Father's Day:
Sunday was, of course, Father's Day. The entire family descended on the in-laws' place, including Mia's brand-spanking-new cousin, Payton. Oh, and Biscuit the dog. The only thing in the world that might give Payton a run for her money in the coolness department, according to Mia at least, is Biscuit. A good time was had by all. Well, I can't vouch for Payton. Her two week old body language is a little tough to read.

George:
About this time last month, I mentioned that my almost-grandfather George had suffered a major stroke. He survived although use of the term survival is open for debate, as it left him speechless and immobile. On Friday afternoon, George suffered something - a stroke, a heart-attack, it doesn't really matter at some point. Early Saturday morning, George died.

For most of his adult life, George sold shoes. Red Wing shoes. Whenever I was out in California, I'd visit him. I'd usually end up with a free pair. I'd always get a lesson on how that foot measuring thing worked. I have to admit that I was a little disappointed when I leaned George didn't actually own the Red Wing empire. I'd never heard of them before. I thought he was the Red Wing Man, had the sole concession, no pun intended. I was young. I wanted him to be important.

Of course, I later learned that George had fought in World War II, in the Pacific theater, and done some pretty heroic stuff. He met then married my widowed grandmother. They were nothing alike. Yet, it worked. He made her happy. He stayed by her through everything. When she lost her mind recently, he stayed by her. When she got it back, he was gone.

I never actually thought of him as a grandfather, although he was in my grandmother's for nearly all of my 34 years. He was just George. Was just George. An important George. And I'll miss him.

Posted by Chris at June 18, 2007 7:29 AM
Comments

Happy belated Father's Day!

My deepest sympahty on losing George.

I am sending strong "sell" vibes your way.

Posted by: Maria at June 18, 2007 8:13 AM

Sell it! Sell it! Sell it!

(chanted to the tune of that perrenial favorite of frat boys everywhere, 'Chug it')

RIP George.

Posted by: Contrary at June 18, 2007 8:23 AM

I am sorry to hear about George.

Bets of luck with the house.

Posted by: William at June 18, 2007 8:30 AM

I'm so sorry for you and family.

Posted by: ann adams at June 18, 2007 8:34 AM

Sorry about George, I hope you and your family are able to comfort your Grandmother over the next few weeks and months.

Posted by: Jen at June 18, 2007 8:45 AM

Sounds like the weekend was eventful - full of both highs and lows. I think it's neat, though, that certain people are tied to things that live on long after they are gone. For instance - my grandparents owned a shoe store in West Texas, and every time I buy shoes, I remember buying shoes in their store when I was little. Maybe Red Wing shoes will be the same for you with George - his way of making you remember him and smile, even from far away.

Posted by: Emily at June 18, 2007 9:11 AM

((hugs)) for Chris for George. And Happy Father's Day a day late.

Posted by: Alissa at June 18, 2007 9:35 AM

So sorry to hear about George and that whole situation. He sounds like an amazing man and I'm sorry your family has lost such an important piece. I hope your Father's Day was good, though I'm not sure how it could be bad with Mia :) Am keeping my fingers crossed for the house selling quickly!

Posted by: Laura GF at June 18, 2007 9:43 AM

My sympathies to you and your family.

Posted by: suze at June 18, 2007 10:02 AM

Sorry to read about George, and got my fingers crossed for you re the house. It's making typing v difficult but I've explained it to my bosses and they are very understanding.

Posted by: Katherine at June 18, 2007 11:12 AM

I'm so sorry for your loss. Please know my thoughts are with you and your family.

Posted by: Elaine at June 18, 2007 12:15 PM

Alas, there aren't enough Georges in the world anymore.

Congratulations on your house losing its innocence. Let's hope it wasn't too painful.

Posted by: You can call me, 'Sir' at June 18, 2007 1:03 PM

My sister is going to put her house on the market soon (staying in the same city but wants a different location). Looks like lots of people have the same goal in mind! :)

Posted by: Zandria at June 18, 2007 1:04 PM

Sorry to hear about George. Thinking of you all.

Continued good vibes on the house. Your Father's Day sounded lovely.

Posted by: Diane at June 18, 2007 1:41 PM

i'm so sorry to hear about your George.

Posted by: ali at June 18, 2007 3:18 PM

I'm so sorry Chris. Although I'm sure there's a sense of relief on your behalf.

Posted by: Amaya at June 18, 2007 3:26 PM

So sorry for your loss, Chris.

Fingers and toes are crossed for the house, as long as you return the favor in about 3 months for me!

and happy belated Father's Day!

Posted by: Molly at June 18, 2007 3:27 PM

It sounds like George was a really terrific guy... he'll be missed.

Happy Belated Father's Day... and fingers crossed on the house sale!

Posted by: sue at June 18, 2007 3:38 PM

I so sorry to hear about George, though I'm glad he stayed in your life long enough for you to learn that is was an important person, and for him to become important to you.

Posted by: Vaguely Urban at June 18, 2007 4:50 PM

Posted by: Vaguely Urban at June 18, 2007 4:51 PM

Posted by: Vaguely Urban at June 18, 2007 4:52 PM

I'm sure George, if he could have said so, would tell you he was happy to get everything he did in life: he married a woman he loved, he got to watch three generations come into this world after him. He got to see you grow up as a young boy into the man you are now, and meet your wife and daughter. George sounded like a very good man, and we can only hope for all good men that they live the lives they deserve, loved and missed when they leave us.

Big hugs to you and the rest of your family on losing someone that special. To those of us still around, no time is ever enough.

Can't wait to meet you all this August!

Posted by: alektra at June 18, 2007 5:30 PM

I'm so sorry about George passing away. However, it sounds as though it was his time. Thankfully you have great memories of him to carry you through life. Bless his heart and bless your heart as well.

Glad your Father's Day was good, despite his passing.

Posted by: coolchick at June 18, 2007 8:17 PM

Sounds like George did some pretty important stuff to me.

I'm sorry.

Posted by: Sphincter at June 18, 2007 9:30 PM

sorry about george. i have a george too, but his name is rex. it's never easy.

good luck on the house! fingers, toes and ankles crossed due to my serious ladylikeness...

Posted by: Amy at June 18, 2007 11:49 PM

I'm so sorry to hear about George. He sounds like he was a good guy.

Posted by: bad penguin at June 19, 2007 8:49 AM

Sorry for your loss.

Posted by: Fraulein N at June 19, 2007 8:54 AM

Happy belated Father's Day.

Sorry to hear about George. Hugs.

Posted by: Karen at June 19, 2007 3:41 PM

My sympathies. But it's good to realize that someone is important before they go. You had that.

Posted by: Darren at June 19, 2007 7:09 PM

So sorry for your loss.

Posted by: hazelhazel at June 20, 2007 8:19 PM

I was so sorry to read about George.

Posted by: Annie, The Evil Queen at June 21, 2007 5:52 PM

When I die, I hope you're still blogging and write something about me. You don't have to go into how I was pretty much the most important person to ever walk the face of the earth, just a few simple lines that hopefully include the words "coolest", "most amazing", "rocket scientist", and "super model". You know, the basics. ;)

Sorry to hear about George. And sorry that I handle death so weird.

Posted by: rsm at June 21, 2007 11:27 PM

I'm sorry about George, but am glad he doesn't have to suffer anymore.

Hugs.