July 17, 2007

Something Bathroom This Way Falls

As I was leaving work last evening, a bathroom fell on my head. I should have know that was the start of a downward spiral.

That last statement probably requires some explanation, huh?

I was leaving work and I dropped by the men's room for a little pit stop. What greeted me was a urinal doing it's best impression of Niagara Falls. An inch of toilet water covered the floor. I managed, Indiana Jones-like, to quell the surge and reported the incident to our facilities people. Then I stopped by the restroom on the floor under mine. Whilst peeing, pieces of the soaked bathroom above fell upon me. Now, it wasn't like a whole urinal descended from on-high like the ever-present anvil falling swiftly towards Wylie Coyote or stall walls fell down around me neatly boxing me in. But it was still disconcerting as hell. As I was brushing wet plaster and drywall from my head, I should have know it would be a long evening. And it was.

When I got home, my work laptop died. Then I wigged out about the test I'm taking tomorrow. Like, full-on wig out. And moving. Then Mia refused to sleep. So, um, yeah...fun evening.

You know, I might seem like a calm and collected guy but there's a big chunk of me that doesn't deal so well with stress. There's a rigid part of me that doesn't like change, doesn't like challenge, fears failure. That side rears its ugly head every once in a while reminding me that I'm not a big fan of that particular side of myself. The truth is - and pardon me if this seems self-indulgent but I need to say (or type) it out loud for myself - I'm a decent, smart guy who just puts an insane amount of pressure on himself to succeed. Occasionally, I should just cut myself some slack. Yet, I don't do that too well.

Whatever the outcome of the next few stressful days, remember, if a bathroom falls on your head seek immediate cover.

Posted by Chris at July 17, 2007 7:04 AM
Comments

Wellllll, being a glass 1/2 full kind of gal most days...
At least the bathroom didn't fall on your head BEFORE you started your work day... think about how badly the day that could have followed from 7am on could have been...
SIDE NOTE: you know some self conscious JA broke that urinal and slipped out as quickly as possible without alerting someone...

Posted by: Stephanie at July 17, 2007 8:08 AM

Ew. Ew ew ew. Yeah, if you had a bathroom fall on your head, you definitely should give yourself a break.

Oh, also? EW.

Posted by: Fraulein N at July 17, 2007 8:21 AM

You had a bathroom fall on your head, I had a faulty smoke detector go off several times last night AFTER bedtime. I documented the event at our page. It was SO much fun.

Posted by: Josh at July 17, 2007 8:33 AM

I will keep this bit of insight tucked away for a "rainy" day.

Posted by: Maribeth at July 17, 2007 8:44 AM

you're not the only father out there with that problem.

Posted by: SciFi Dad at July 17, 2007 8:59 AM

Good advice. I'll file it away. :o)

Posted by: Emily at July 17, 2007 9:26 AM

Yeah, all that other crap aside, that bathroom thing is definitely the worst.

Posted by: aimee/greeblemonkey at July 17, 2007 9:31 AM

Nothing like urine tainted plaster falling on one's head. Gives me the willies just thinking about it. I'd have to detox everything. Yuck.

Posted by: Johnny Smoke at July 17, 2007 9:51 AM

Being a perfectionist is definitely a time consuming pain. It appears to me that you are already successful. You seem like a happy guy with a happy family life. What could be more successful than that?

Posted by: August at July 17, 2007 9:55 AM

Sending you much sympathy and well deserved slack.

I never cut myself some slack either. I stress myself out so much sometimes that my stomach rebels.

Posted by: Maria at July 17, 2007 10:02 AM

Breathe.

Posted by: sue at July 17, 2007 10:04 AM

Man, I can empathize with you. About the stressing thing, not the bathroom thing. That, luckily, has never happened to me.

Good luck on the test. Listen to your positive affirmations because they are true and I'm sure you will do well.

Posted by: Kim at July 17, 2007 10:13 AM

Yup, I think bathrooms falling on your head constitutes the beginning of a shit night.

Sorry, mate. Hope today's better...and good luck on your test tomorrow.

Posted by: mamatulip at July 17, 2007 10:17 AM

Yeah, it's hard to realize you're doing it right... when everything seems to be crashing down on you (sometimes, literally).

If it brightens your mood, when I got home yesterday, my youngest had just pooped and as I was changing his diaper, the older one stepped on it with her dress-up shoes and took two poopy steps. Welcome home from your stressful job, now get out the carpet cleaner and scrub poop off the floor!

Poop.

Posted by: Brad at July 17, 2007 11:08 AM

I'm the same way. It used to be debilitating. Finally, life put me in a position where the choices were:

Live
Die

Having made the choice, I stopped worrying about stuff, ceased fearing a lot of things, and now I look at failure in a much different light. As a matter of fact, I think having failure thrust upon me and losing control of everything for a little while was probably the best thing that could've happened at the time. Irony is so ironic.

Into every life, a little bathroom must fall. It's how you deal with it that matters.

Posted by: You can call me, 'Sir' at July 17, 2007 11:19 AM

You're correct, you need yourself some slack. And thanks for the advice.

Posted by: Chantel at July 17, 2007 12:03 PM

Yes, I would say a little slack is much deserved.

Posted by: Jenn at July 17, 2007 12:12 PM

Stress sucks, doesn't it? But once you get past the stress you tend to come out on the other side in a better place than you were before. Keep your end goal in mind, and don't forget to breathe. You'll be fine once it's all over, I promise!

Posted by: Beth in StL at July 17, 2007 12:33 PM

I think the bathroom falling on my head would send me into a full on wig out. But you! You didn't wig until later, about the test. You are a stronger person than I am, mister.

Posted by: Librarian Girl at July 17, 2007 1:50 PM

But...you sold your house!

Posted by: Arwen at July 17, 2007 2:18 PM

Yuck

Posted by: whit at July 17, 2007 2:28 PM

I'm sure moving is making your stress tolerance a bit lower right now. It's a very stressful thing you are going through.

I am wound a bit tight myself these days. I'm getting married on Friday. ack!

Posted by: jodi at July 17, 2007 3:03 PM

I have ridiculously high expectations of myself. I expect to do everything right and make everyone happy and you know how many times that actually happens? Not as many as I'd like. So yeah, I feel ya.

Posted by: Sparkle Pants at July 17, 2007 3:21 PM

You could have just been describing me there. Aside from the whole bathroom-on-your-head story. Which is disgusting, btw.

On Friday night I had a minor freak out. Right after that 18 yr. old trashed my couch and the other party guests ruined the carpet. I retired to my room to stew. Then they didn't leave. I didn't want to come out in case they wanted to discuss the matter. In which case I'd have to go all Jackie Chan on their asses. So I waited some more. Then I freaked out and tried to climb out of my bedroom window. Hoop decided to walk in at that point. It was pretty ugly. Stress is like "instant crazy." It makes you lose all your wits, no matter how smart of a person you are.

Posted by: Tink at July 17, 2007 3:51 PM

I think I will have a bumper sticker made, WWIJD.

Got here via Girl on The Run...

Nice to read you..

Posted by: emmasometimes at July 17, 2007 4:00 PM

ewwwww....is right!! I would of gone right home and taken a bath.

BTW, I stress out too, WAY too much!!! Top that off with some OCD and you've got yourself a true weirdo!

Congrats on the house!

Posted by: been there, done that at July 17, 2007 6:01 PM

Dude, stress? Feeling you there, man. "The Bar, the bar!" in a Tatoo kind of voice....

See? You're not the only one going crazy. Oh, and I got a nice cold from some asshat at review class who had to come and sneeze all over my neck because she sat behind me.

Posted by: alektra at July 17, 2007 7:21 PM

That's one wild bathroom experience, Cactus. :) Try not to stress. I'm sure it's not nearly as bad as you make it seem.

Posted by: Zandria at July 17, 2007 7:40 PM

I thought those kind of things only happened in movies. I didn't know bathrooms could actually fall from the upstairs one being flooded.

Sorry you had a shitty day. Hope the rest of your week gets better.

Posted by: Stephanie at July 17, 2007 9:15 PM

Yikes, that had to be some nasty drywall.

Posted by: angela at July 17, 2007 11:56 PM

From one kindred spirit to another--relax. :)

P.S. I know...easier said than done.

Posted by: Nanette at July 18, 2007 3:35 AM

Yeah...my husband is the same way. He also doesn't schedule "fun time" for himself. Ever. So last week I surprised him by inviting a bunch of his guy friends over for the night, got some food ready, bought the beer, etc, and then made myself scarce. It did him good. I hope you take time for yourself, too. Success is a great and worthy goal, and working hard is something to be admired, but so too are cutting yourself some slack and making time to relax. :)

Posted by: Freakazojd at July 18, 2007 12:29 PM

You know even if you weren't as hard on yourself as you describe I think (being occasionally a workaholic myself) if I had a bathroom fall on my head it would pretty much feel like some weird omen from the universe to work harder or some such thing. Or it would tell me to quit and travel France.

Here's hoping you find a nice median between the two. Take care, find time to get a vacation, and for god's sake take a long shower!

Posted by: the weirdgirl at July 20, 2007 11:08 AM