July 10, 2007

The Lucy Desi Comedy Hour: The Home Game

Several key facts before you proceed:

1. Like nearly everyone in this country, I happen to think I Love Lucy Is genius.
  2. Ricky, in I Love Lucy, had this drum number he called Babalu. He'd bang on a big conga drum and scream Babalu. It was ridiculous. Like Ricky in general.
  3. Mia loves to run. The thing she likes to do more than running? Running straight into the arms of her parents.
  4. Mia likes to run most when she's naked.
  5. Mia has a very cute, slappable butt.

Take all these facts and you can only imagine what you would have seen or heard had you dropped by the Cactus-Fish house lately. Our pre-bedtime sessions have gotten interesting. Most evenings, had you indeed dropped by, you'd have heard and seen a very naked Mia running whilst screaming BABALUUUUU! followed by fleshy, playful bottom-slapping sounds and lots of good hugging. If you were really lucky, you'd catch Mia running while attempting to slap her own bottom screaming BABALUUUUU! at the top of her lungs. If you're insanely lucky, you'd manage to catch her during one of the times she falls over while attempting to play her own baby butt bongos.

You see, I taught her this. I am an immensely proud father. I think Ricky would be too. Although I'm sure we'd have some 'splainin' to do.

(Training Updated: I'm headed out to day two of this class thing. It's easily one of the largest wastes of time ever. Possibly a bigger waste of time than writing a song for Helen Keller or designing panties for Britney Spears. I'm displeased. Anyway, if you don't hear from me, that's where I am. Send help. You'll be happy to know, however, that I didn't commit any random acts of perfectly justifiable violence yesterday due to their no-coffee rule. As a matter of fact, as promised, I marched myself with in there holding my gigantic cup of coffee high. My classmates circled, held me aloft on their shoulders and ran me around the grounds of the training facility singing a song they'd just collectively penned about me. Okay, that last bit was bullshit but I did flaunt my coffee and it felt good.)

Posted by Chris at July 10, 2007 6:30 AM
Comments

With a father like you to teach her all the important things in life, how can that little girl miss?

Cas

Posted by: cassie-b at July 10, 2007 8:02 AM

You taught her to play her own baby butt bongos.

Man, that is priceless....

Posted by: Emily at July 10, 2007 8:09 AM

I too think Lucy was genius and the fact that you taught Mia that...well genius.

Posted by: William at July 10, 2007 8:21 AM

Hee! You know when you tell her this story when she's older, she's never going to believe you.

Posted by: Fraulein N at July 10, 2007 8:32 AM

as long as she doesn't develop the "i wanna feel the air on my naked body" while playing her bongo butt, and run out the front door... my cousin was famous for that... bathtime? i'm naked and out the door! and like Fraulein said she will never believe you...take PICTURES!... priceless...

Posted by: the unicorn at July 10, 2007 8:42 AM

I'm thinking it's time for The New New I Love Lucy Show.

Posted by: aimee/greeblemonkey at July 10, 2007 9:07 AM

That show was genius. I love the reruns.

You better watch it... you might just start a coffee revolt in the training room... people will all be carrying their coffee, it could get out of hand!

Maybe the fact that you were awake and alert from that coffee revealed the fact that they are wasting your time... if you weren't hopped up on the bean, you might have been sleeping and not notice they aren't teaching you anything.

Posted by: Karen at July 10, 2007 10:00 AM

That show was genius. I love the reruns.

Posted by: Karen at July 10, 2007 10:01 AM

That show was genius. I love the reruns.

Posted by: Karen at July 10, 2007 10:01 AM

Gotta love post-bath pre-pajama playtime. Toddler buns were made for smackin'.

Posted by: Brad at July 10, 2007 10:02 AM

At least you're still getting paid while sitting and listening and gnashing your teeth.

As for the Puerto-Rican bongo-like ass-slapping, well, that's just a lovely mental picture. What a perfect form of comedy relief after a day in the world.

Posted by: You can call me, 'Sir' at July 10, 2007 10:23 AM

At least you're still getting paid for the sitting and the listening and the gnashing of teeth. Also...Hee-Haw reruns on CMT.

As for the Puerto Rican bongo-like ass slapping, well, that's just a lovely mental picture. What a perfect form of comedy relief after a day spent in the world.

Posted by: You can call me, 'Sir' at July 10, 2007 10:26 AM

hopefully you aren't being graded on your inability to follow insane decrees.

Posted by: August at July 10, 2007 11:01 AM

No coffee???!!! These people clearly want the terrorists to win.

Posted by: laura at July 10, 2007 11:12 AM

Isn't it great when you can share the I Love Lucy stuff with your child and they "get it"?

Posted by: Maribeth at July 10, 2007 11:33 AM

Beautiful! Great way to start my morning, reading this post.

Posted by: Kelly at July 10, 2007 11:38 AM

we play the butt bongos in our house too :)

Posted by: ali at July 10, 2007 12:06 PM

adorable. :)

Posted by: steph at July 10, 2007 12:19 PM

I want to see videos please. No, not of your silly training week; I'd fall asleep in my coffee. Or worse, burst into hysterical laughter.

Of adorable Mia of course.

We had a swim party over the Fourth at a friend's home. Pics and videos (very shaky ones, I'm an amateur) on blog if you and/or Beth have a chance to take a look.

One of the hosts taught Rebecca to scream Geronimo!! as she jumped off the board. Not quite up to your Mia but still funny.

Posted by: ann adams at July 10, 2007 12:27 PM

Lucy and Desi are genius. Absolutely. And baby butts make amazing conga drums.

Posted by: wordgirl at July 10, 2007 12:41 PM

Lucy and Desi are genius. Absolutely. And baby butts make amazing conga drums.

Posted by: wordgirl at July 10, 2007 12:41 PM

Lucy and Desi are genius. Absolutely. And baby butts make amazing conga drums.

Posted by: wordgirl at July 10, 2007 12:41 PM

i was wondering what the first two had to do with the last three things on the list. hahaha. i hope you taped one night so you can show mia how funny she was when she was a toddler

Posted by: denise at July 10, 2007 1:51 PM

histerical. That definately warrents a video. I will understand if you don't share it online... but it a video that you must have at least to share with Mia.

Posted by: Colleen at July 10, 2007 1:59 PM

lol, sounds like fun! Button loves running around naked too and makes a break for it any time she can... but I'm not brave enough to let her do it on purpose for fear of the liquid accident.

Posted by: Amy at July 10, 2007 2:14 PM

That's one talented little girl you have there Chris. ;)

Posted by: Tink at July 10, 2007 2:30 PM

Those are the moments you cherish and make all the rest of the b.s. you have to endure go far, far, away...

(I was talking about Mia, not the coffee incident.)

Posted by: sue at July 10, 2007 2:37 PM

ummm yeah I wanna see THAT show!! :)

Posted by: stinkerbell at July 10, 2007 5:28 PM

What a post!!! I laughed and laughed. Bongo-butt!! HILARIOUS!

My mom couldn't keep clothes on me as a child, good thing we lived in the country. Don't think I played bongo-butt though.

LOVED I Love Lucy!

Posted by: been there, done that at July 10, 2007 5:41 PM

Dude, you need to start a rousing game of Boardroom Bingo.

Posted by: Pammer at July 10, 2007 9:34 PM

Glad to hear you are teaching her the necessities.

Posted by: angela at July 10, 2007 10:55 PM

No-coffee rule? WTF!? Who does that?

Posted by: Pocklock at July 10, 2007 11:13 PM

For some reason your speech gave me a "Real Genius" flashback - tiny pickles anyone?

Posted by: That Girl at July 10, 2007 11:14 PM

Hahaaha! Priceless!!!

No coffee rule? WTF?

Posted by: Nadine at July 11, 2007 5:26 AM

You are the coolest dad ever.

Posted by: Heather at July 11, 2007 10:08 AM