August 14, 2007

Losing It

First and foremost, two very kind men answered the Cactus-Fish distress signal and fixed our air conditioning yesterday afternoon. I have a new lease on life. I no longer need to be an asshole, for I am cool. I like to think in the literal and metaphorical sense.

Yesterday Beth had quite a few irons in the fire. She had to run a few errands and spend some time at the Old House (TM, still) getting it ready to be turned over to the new owners. Mia and I spent most of the day hanging out together. We did all kind of things - we played, we arranged her toy room, we cleaned, we vacuumed, we had some lunch, took a nap and read a few books. It was fantastic. You just can't beat a day with your kid. This was, however, in stark contrast to the previous evening.

On Sunday evening, the three of us headed to a local Mexican place for dinner. Afterwards, we decided to stop at Target. Mia wasn't as enthusiastic as Beth and I. She didn't want to go. Or, rather, she wanted to go so long as she was allowed to push her stroller. In a crowded store, we thought this was unacceptable. Mia wasn't happy with that call. Actually, she was pretty pissed. We made it into the store for a whopping 30 seconds before we had to pull out. She totally lost her shit. It was as if she was reacting to the horror of some 911-like apocalypse only, instead of the Twin Towers, she was witnessing the collapse of the Disney castle resting atop every single Toys R Us store known to man stacked one on top of the other. It was spectacularly bad. And there was not a damn thing I could do.

This is the first time Mia has lost her shit in public. And one of the first times she's really totally gone balls-out shit-losing with me along for the ride. She got over it. Me? That might take a little longer. The thing is, she's two. These things happen. And will happen in the future. I guess, if I'm allowed to lose my shit over the air conditioning, she's allowed to flip out over her stroller. Fair's fair

Posted by Chris at August 14, 2007 7:04 AM
Comments

Been there. My son was two and it was a riding pony that he was NOT finished riding. The entire K-mart was informed that he was NOT finished yet as we carried him out in full meltdown mode. It freaked me out but now after two more kids I realize they all gotta have their moment.

Posted by: Debbie at August 14, 2007 7:34 AM

Oh dear. Yeah, that definately happens. Kids haven't got much emotional control and things like tired/hot/hungry/angry just send them over the edge. In a way it can really frighten them how far out of control they can get.

I remember seeing a couple in a parking lot of a store (Target?) and their cute little blonde haired girl was SCREAMING at the top of her lungs at them. They calmly walked to the car and sat inside while she SCREAMED right into their faces (inches away). They just sat and waited. I wish I had patience like that.

I think these things continue to happen until their...um...adults with broken air conditioners?

Posted by: Jon (was) in Michigan at August 14, 2007 7:43 AM

I'm just glad to hear you left the store instead of forcing all the other shoppers to listen to her tantrum, like the lady I saw (heard) in Wal-Mart this past weekend.

She's two, it happens. It'll probably happen again. But one day it'll make a great story to tell!

Posted by: Alissa at August 14, 2007 7:52 AM

It is only fair. If you can have a tantrum over the AC, then Mia can have a tantrum over the stroller. :-)

Congrats on the new house. I'm glad it wasn't too painful.

Posted by: Maria at August 14, 2007 8:11 AM

thank the sweet baby jesus that you made it to two before she had herself one of these meltdowns. Isabella's been having them since she was about 15 months old. she's perfected it by now! :)

Posted by: ali at August 14, 2007 8:38 AM

And just wait for the, pretty far off but will get here before you know it, losing of one's shit THE HORMONAL version.

I feel for you my friend.

Posted by: Wicked H at August 14, 2007 8:45 AM

Thank you so much for taking her out of the store. I understand kiddo tantrums...they are going to happen but I don't understand why parents don't remove them from the public eye while it is happening. I don't want to hear their child screaming (and probably eventually getting their way).

Posted by: daisy at August 14, 2007 8:47 AM

That's just your first public meltdown?

Dude, good luck. Speaking as a life-long babysitter and big sister and older cousin and what have you, you guys did the right thing by leaving the store. I'm sure it won't be the last. And I'm sorry in advance for it.

Posted by: Coleen at August 14, 2007 8:50 AM

Just wait until she hits puberty!

Posted by: Maribeth at August 14, 2007 9:14 AM

I remember the first time Z did that to me. I was not only mortified, I was physically (she kicked) and emotionally hurt. I hope it is of some consequence that she never flipped out like that again, and I'd guess that's partly due to the fact that I got better at seeing it coming, and cut it off at the pass.

I'm glad things are cool and calm and somewhat collected at your house now. Moving... it is a test of patience like no other.

Posted by: Brad at August 14, 2007 9:36 AM

Hi Chris! Long time no read-y. I have been out of the blogging world for a long, long time now but I just had a morning of "doing anything but work while I'm at work" and figured I might as well check in on the good ol' Bloglines account. So I wanted to congratulate you on the Bebe Numero Deux and the new home - I am super jealous about the back yard. You go...boy! Glad life's treatin' you well. As for me, I moved in with the boyfriend, got a dog and a new job 4 months later, and have an impending trip to Sandals in Jamaica that I am practically peeing myself with excitement over - so good times here, too. Rock on, man! Catch ya on the flip side...

Posted by: Nicole (Liberal Banana) at August 14, 2007 10:02 AM

You know, I think if we believed we could get away with it, we'd all throw tantrums from time to time too. I've gotten frustrated in stores too and been sorely tempted to flop down on my ass and start screaming.

Posted by: Fraulein N at August 14, 2007 10:10 AM

Just back from vacation and catching up -- so 1) congrats on the move! 2) yay for air conditioning and, most importantly, 3) congratulations on the very exciting news about baby #2. Best wishes to all of you.

Posted by: iheartnewyork at August 14, 2007 10:42 AM

yeah, yeah, WWIII is actually staged by the toddlers trying to gain independence from their parents; over and over again through the ages....

now, that yard teaser was too much! where are the pics of The New House?

Posted by: Lisa at August 14, 2007 11:19 AM

Not surprised considering all the change that Mia is dealing with this week.
I would also like to thank you for taking her out of the store.
Sounds like you had a pretty great day with her though. What a great way to start your new life in a new house.

Posted by: Amaya at August 14, 2007 11:40 AM

Don't worry Chris, it gets better. As children mature they stop throwing tantrums, usually around 3 or 4 years of age. They will hold intelligent conversations and help around the house around this time too!

haha ha hah ahahahah

Oh dear God I was rolling with laughter as I wrote that. I'm telling you nothing will make you believe in God quicker than realizing that your child must be channeling satan. Which they seem to do till they are somewhere around 25.

Posted by: Jeff A at August 14, 2007 11:48 AM

See? That right there is what makes you such a good dad. You KNOW this is gonna happen and accept that she, too, is allowed a bad day. Sometimes kids aren't given enough credit.

This is good training for when she's 16. Just sayin'...

Posted by: sue at August 14, 2007 12:38 PM

I remember the first time Taylor acted like that in public. I kind of laughed it off and went inside anyway. Bad decision. I ended up leaving the shopping car in the frozen foods section and fast walking to my car.

But I'm with you about the last part. I get pissed and react over the smallest shit so she can too sometimes.

Posted by: Stephanie at August 14, 2007 1:01 PM

We all have our triggers. The other day I lost my shit because the Exxon mart didn't have any Nantucket Nectar's Half and Half. I actually stomped my foot and pouted. Loudly.

Posted by: GreenCanary at August 14, 2007 2:39 PM

Yes fair is fair. My 15 year old and I......if only you had the time!! Oh boy!

Posted by: Chantel at August 14, 2007 2:45 PM

Glad you haven't told her about the impending little sibling yet. One thing at a time for the miabean at this point. Poor baby. Lack of A/C gets everyone.

Posted by: alektra at August 14, 2007 2:54 PM

Just wait. It'll get even more fun when baby #2 is born. :)

Posted by: Mary at August 14, 2007 3:10 PM

There's a fine line between a temper fit and a meltdown although I'd handle either one the same way; exactly as you did. We leave. This sounded like a meltdown.

She's been through a lot what with the packing of all her earthly goods, the stress (kids can sense it), cutting molars?? and the move. It's not surprising she flipped out. I'd be more surprised if she didn't.

It will get better. Then it will get worse as she/they hit adolescence.

Posted by: ann adams at August 14, 2007 3:56 PM

When I was little, I apparently lost it when asked to move about four inches over for someone on a bench. That was a HUGE DEAL. But yeah, I do get it; there are days when I wish I could lay down and scream, while punching something...and when you're two? You get to do that.

Posted by: sandra at August 14, 2007 7:31 PM

God it's been a while since I've ventured over here - a second kid. Wow! Congrats.

Posted by: Heather at August 14, 2007 11:13 PM

lol! Mine loses it DAILY!

Posted by: Just Janice at August 15, 2007 10:25 PM

Just a thought? She's might be melting down because of the change of moving and all that's gone on the last few days. She's in a new environment and she's probably very tired. The big thing is not to make a "national incident" out of it and move on. The less of a reaction she get's from you and Fish, the less likely she will be to repeat them in the future. Pull her out, timeout and let her cool off.

Posted by: Johnny Smoke at August 17, 2007 6:10 PM