August 2, 2007

Bullet Point Thursday: The Burned Out Edition

• I'm worn out. This week? Insanely stressful. Even my spleen's tired of doing, well, whatever it is my spleen does.
  • I finally finished Harry Potter and the Million Pages of Fiction. I wasn't digging it when I first started. Honestly, I just felt like I had to read it since it was the final one and I'd read all its predecessors. But on I trudged. And it was totally worth it.
  • I hate myself for the fact that I can't turn away from America's Got Talent one of the truly great television clusterfucks of all time. I blame it on the mystic powers of The Hoff. Apparently the Germans are even more susceptible. Kinda like the French and Jerry Lewis.
  • I almost literally can't stop listening to the new Velvet Revolver album. I'm not sure why. I mean, it's good but it's not great. Slash's guitar prowess is there but it's not truly showcased. The songs are more laid back than their first effort and the band, instead of sounding like a true marriage of Guns N Roses and Stone Temple Pilots lands definitively on the Purple-era STP side of the fence. But the hooks are fucking brilliant and the entire album has earwormed its way into my head and I can't shake it loose.
  • I'm getting the shakes. I've packed all my CDs and all but a handful of books. If I disappear without explanation I'm off getting my fix in a bookstore somewhere.
  • Similarity between me and the guy you see on the street dressed in a mismatched suit, combat boots, seven coats, shuffling along singing Doors' tunes backwards and pushing a shopping cart full of mannequin heads and a stuffed cat he calls Molly who tells him that wombats will soon rise up and assume control of the universe? We're both homeless. Well, kinda. For the first time in a few years - and for a limited time only - I don't own a house. Kinda freaky.
Posted by Chris at August 2, 2007 7:13 AM
Comments

I thought you guys finished the deal on the other house before this one sold?

I had no idea that Slash and members of STP had slapped together a band. As a former STP and, grudgingly, GNR fan, you've sort of increased my interest quotient.

Posted by: You can call me, 'Sir' at August 2, 2007 8:00 AM

Don't worry sweetie. It'll all be over soon and you'll be happily reunited with all your stuff.

Posted by: Maribeth at August 2, 2007 9:42 AM

with HP7, i thought that the 'camping out' part dragged on. while i was reading that part, i was thinking 'this is the seventh book... i thought it was going to be like the Die Hard of the series.', but it definitely was awesome at the end

and i completely agree about the new VR album. i like it more than Contraband and can't get 'the last fight' out of my head

Posted by: Denise at August 2, 2007 11:19 AM

Hubby felt the same with HP, moaning and groaning about the first few chapters. Found him reading alike a mad man for the past few days. LOL.

Listening to the world premiere of the new Foo Fighter song. They re starting to sound the same to me now. New VR is out? Good to know!

Posted by: oakley at August 2, 2007 11:22 AM

So...where will you live?

Posted by: wordgirl at August 2, 2007 11:40 AM

So where will you live? And? While you're homeless, don't eat out of dumpsters. That's how much I care.

Posted by: wordgirl at August 2, 2007 11:40 AM

I finished it the other day.

You must feel like you're squatters; at least for a little while.

Posted by: ann adams at August 2, 2007 11:44 AM

Page 146... I have to divide my time between Harry Potter and Dr. House. Oh and Tim and FreezeM ;)

Posted by: Nadine at August 2, 2007 1:53 PM

I am amazed that you have time to read books or blog or think about Velvet Revolver. Truly. What are you? Superman?

Come to think of it, we never see you and Superman in the same place at the same time. Hmmm. Very suspicious.

I am half as busy as you probably and I don't have more than 5 minutes to read and only 2 minutes for blogging! So, shit. You da man!

Good luck with the housing sitch, you'll be fine, you know. You can always stay with us!

Posted by: Trix at August 2, 2007 1:55 PM

My spleen would call yours so that they could empathize with one another on fatigue and similar topics, but it's too tired and said it'd have to place the call later.

Posted by: Emily at August 2, 2007 2:44 PM

The "freaky" feeling hit me when I deposited the check for the house into my account. I had nightmares for weeks that the funds mysteriously disappeared from my account. After owning a house for so long (and being broke because of it) it seemed unnatural to actually have money in the bank.

Posted by: Tink at August 2, 2007 4:45 PM

Even with all my German blood, I have managed to resist the Hoff. I think it's because I am just spent from American Idol by this time of year and need a break from TV.

And Bryan is almost done with Harry too. When do you want to hold a group conference call?

Posted by: aimee/greeblemonkey at August 2, 2007 4:45 PM

Sadly, I am with you on the America's Got Talent front. It is a trainwreck that I can't tear my eyes from. That family of fiddlers with the crazed smiles? The boy-shakira? The singing ventriloquists? I do really like the SAHD singer/songwriter dude though. He's down to earth and has a good sound. Yeah... way too much of that show.

Posted by: hannita at August 2, 2007 6:09 PM

I haven't watched "Talent" in a coupla weeks...but I'm pulling for Butterscotch (since she's from here). But she should stick to beatboxing where she excels...instead of singing where she doesn't. :)

Posted by: Marilyn at August 2, 2007 11:05 PM

Hey, I haven't owned a house ever, it will be ok! Do you at least have the iPod of goodness to get you through the next few days?

HP7 WAS very reminiscent of LOTR book 2. The ring and the locket? Totally with you.

Posted by: alektra at August 2, 2007 11:15 PM