August 15, 2007

It's Like Coming Home Though I Never Really Lived Here

You know those stories in which a guy graduates from high school, goes to college then heads out into the world only to, eventually, return to his hometown to take care of his ailing parents or attend a random high school reunion at which he stumbles into the love of his life and the romance is instantly rekindled? Life is kinda like that right now except none of that is going on.

See, we moved into a neighborhood very close to my old high school. We're so close, I can hear the marching band practicing and coaches' whistles floating over the evening air when I'm out back doing my best to keep the grass green. My nostalgia for high school is, however, inversely proportionate to my love of high school at the time.

In high school, I wasn't a geek, a jock, a stoner, a punk, or an honor roll student. I was just, well, me. Academically, I was bored 90% of the time. Socially, I got along with everyone. I was one of those people who jumped between cliques. I had a good time but I haven't spent the last 15 years pining to get those years back or move next door. Strangely, that's exactly what's happened.

Even though it's stuck in a great big metro area, for some strange reason, I take a lot of pride in being back in this little town. Even though I never really lived here but merely visited eight hours a day in a time when bells told me where I had to be and when.

Today's my last day of "vacation" before heading back to work. I'll be taking some pictures of the new place and hopefully getting them online for you soon. Until then, happy humping (because it's Wednesday...I don't have any bizarre inside knowledge of what you may be in for today...).

Posted by Chris at August 15, 2007 7:41 AM
Comments

I don't miss high school one iota, but would give anything to live back in my hometown. I just absolutely love it there, which is hilarious since when I was a kid I couldn't wait to get out.

Posted by: Jessie at August 15, 2007 8:46 AM

Maybe if you live there long enough Mia will end up going to the same school as you ... how weird ;-)

Posted by: Heather at August 15, 2007 9:04 AM

I get that same feeling whenever I pass by my high school, which is a few blocks from the UN.

Happy Hump Day to you too and enjoy your last day of "vacation."

Posted by: Maria at August 15, 2007 9:09 AM

Since I never fit in in High School and I always felt oddly out of place on Cape Cod (I'm a mountain sort of girl!) I was glad to be done with it and move on.
I'm glad that there is such warmth in your feelings for your new/old home. I think, perhaps, Beth and Mia and your "yet to be named" player have a lot to do with that!

Posted by: Maribeth at August 15, 2007 9:59 AM

I use my memory of high school to ensure that I never lose my marbles and move back to the place where I grew up. Nostalgia can be terribly handy sometimes.

Posted by: You can call me, 'Sir' at August 15, 2007 10:27 AM

I just found my senior year yearbook. I'm just glad that I still talk to some of the people I like, though none of them were in the same class as me.

Posted by: alektra at August 15, 2007 12:58 PM

The title is very Zen - i guess the A/C really is fixed! lol

Posted by: That Girl at August 15, 2007 1:10 PM

Well regardless of where you thought you'd be - welcome home. :) And post those pictures!!

Posted by: Emily at August 15, 2007 1:33 PM

Damn, you gave me false hope right up until that disclaimer! I thought I was going to get lucky today.

Not with you mind you, I just thought maybe you were clairvoyant.

I mean sure your an attractive guy, just not my type!

That is to say that no guy is my type.

Don't get me wrong I have nothing against guys who like guys like that but...

Aww damn it, never mind.

Posted by: Jeff A at August 15, 2007 2:25 PM

You wouldn't happen to be living in Damascus would you?

Posted by: GreenCanary at August 15, 2007 3:09 PM

Yes, yes, must see pictures, am going through withdrawals...is terrible...LOL!!! And hey, why bother going to work for the last two days of the week? Take the rest of the week on me...tell your boss!!! HAHAHA

Posted by: Li'l Foot's Mommy at August 15, 2007 3:42 PM

Sounds great, I'm looking forward to pictures.

A belated congratulations on the new house, and on "Wally".

Posted by: Kate the Shrew at August 15, 2007 8:17 PM

We live very close to my husband's old high school. As he puts it, "I live closer than I did when I was going there".

I did enjoy high school, but it was in a small town. I much prefer living in the city so I'm glad to be closer to his school.

Posted by: Kelley at August 15, 2007 11:12 PM

I was a floater, too - a few good friends from each clique. I'm actually looking forward to the 20th reunion, but only if a few good friends from each clique show up.

Posted by: Melissa at August 16, 2007 9:34 PM

I didn't realize that you grew up in this area. I'm dying to know what little town you are talking about. I promise I won't stalk you! ;)

Posted by: Nicole at August 16, 2007 9:48 PM

I was a "floater" in high school too. And we also lived so close I could hear the band growing up. I always found the sound oddly comforting.

Although, I will admit my school was way too much like the movie Heathers, so I won't be writing any sweet nothings about it either. ;)

Posted by: aimee/greeblemonkey at August 17, 2007 9:06 AM