August 20, 2007

The List Of Things That Happened This Weekend

Know what I remembered this weekend about being buying a house? Once you've signed your name to thousands of sheets of paper pledging your eternal loyalty to your mortgage company and then moved all your stuff - or paid nice burly men to move your stuff for you - you have to work on it to get it the way you want it. And it's exhausting. I mean, really, really exhausting. Plus, you know, there's other stuff going on too. I give you the List Of Things That Happened This Weekend.

1. We built shelves. Five sets of shelves, in fact. For Mia's playroom. We can now have a moderately normal room that doubles as a playroom thanks to the genius of some Swedish carpenters (thanks, Ikea) and doors (so, thanks to whoever invented doors...I'm guessing it was either Jesus or that British dude who's always talking up stuff on infomercials).

2. I wrestled snakes. Seriously, I'm the heir apparent to the Crocodile Hunter throne. Okay, not really. But we did find a snake in our pond hunting fish and frogs. I'd like to say that I donned my safari hat, picked up my handy machete and offed the sucker but I didn't. I went out, saw what it was, looked it up online and, upon realizing that it was pretty much harmless, I let it do its thing. Then it went away. Luckily it did so before Mia fell into the pond. Had to happen sometime, I guess.

3. I visited Home Depot...a lot. I was in Home Depot five times this weekend. And I think I spent a billion dollars. Medicine cabinets are expensive. So are bathroom faucets. Which leads to...

4. I replaced two bathroom faucets. It was perhaps the most disgusting home improvement job I've ever done. After pulling out the drains, I found 20 years of sludge. It was as if Satan himself had concentrated evil into a fluid and injected it into our pipes. It was wrong. It was wronger than wrong. It was foul. But it's gone and nice new shiny fixtures have replaced Satan's faucets.

5. We bought stuff. Not only did we spend way too much time buying stuff at Home Depot, as mentioned, but we visited Target twice, ordered blinds, arranged for new carpet to be installed in the basement, and got a contractor to do some work on our doors. And we ordered takeout for pretty much every meal. My credit card actually, at one point, had smoke coming off of it. So, my bank account is hurting. Time to set up a pyramid scheme or something. Who wants in?

6. Studied for my Mia language exams. Mia's vocabulary is huge and the way she says certain things cracks me up. Like, did you know that things can happen today, tomorrow or tonow? She cracks me up. I don't always understand her, but she cracks me up.

So, what did you guys do?

Posted by Chris at August 20, 2007 6:20 AM
Comments

My dad has been in the hospital about 45 minutes away for about 10 days now. So I spent the 2nd weekend in a row hanging out in his hospital room and demanding better care etc., which Lord knows you shouldn't have to ask for. And I also cleaned his house. That's about it. Not so exciting. Sooooo... what kind of fish are in the pond? Got koi?

Posted by: coolchick at August 20, 2007 6:32 AM

Tonow - brilliant!

I saw some films at the Edinburgh Film Festival - Ratatouille and Knocked Up which both turned out to be UK premieres but not too glitzy, we do it down to earth up here! Plus called the police to sort out our noisy neighbours. We are out of our flat a week on Thursday and it can't come soon enough!

Posted by: Katherine at August 20, 2007 8:05 AM

Oh dude. You think you're only getting off with FIVE trips to Home Depot and two trips to Target?

hahahahahahahah. You naive son of a bitch.

I think I've spent a collective year in Home Depot since moving into our house almost three months ago. Yeah, do the math, I know it doesn't add up, but yeah, they greet me personally in both Home Depot and Target. And I swear I hear at least two of them mutter "cha ching" under their breath while we're in there.

Tack on another 120 trips to target and 3 to Ikea.

And ask me what still needs to be done. You don't have a character limit on here do you?

Posted by: statia at August 20, 2007 8:16 AM

Sounds like an action-packed weekend of the "yeah that could have been more fun" variety. Hopefully things come together soon for all of you.

Me, well weekends are somewhat odd as mine does not start until Sunday night, (one of the many joys of working in human services.)

However, this is america and as of yet there is no law telling me I can't rock out on Saturday night.

SO...Saturday nights in Providence, they light the Providence River on fire. Ok...ok not the whole damn river but there are these iron grates placed along a good portion of it, filled with wood, that are set on fire. Yanni-esque music is played and rich Rhode Islanders,(if there is such a thing) and tourists come and oooh and ahhh.

A friend and I did a quick stroll through and then went to The Wild Colonial, a very cool, dog-friendly bar for some nachos and beverage.

Sunday: Well I've not felt that wiped out in a long time. It was a steady diet of reading, napping and video games.

Today: My Saturday night friend and I will brave the crowds of Ozzfest. As a life-long fan of the music, and the rock especially, I should be more excited. However, I just think the tour being free is going to bring the pillars of society out and I don't do well in huge crowds as it is.

Hope Monday flies by for you!

Cheers,
JJ

Posted by: JJ at August 20, 2007 8:32 AM

due to my love of trips to target and home depot (or lowes, lowes is my favorite and is closer to home) we got one step closer to closing on our second home. yes, i will voluntarily own two places. so, in addition to all the fall and winterizing of our house i'll get to decorate and clean and personalize and winterize our condo in the mountains.

the pond intrigues me... do tell us more!

Posted by: monique at August 20, 2007 8:49 AM

Ever have one of those weekends where you just hang and do not too much? That was me. After a house guest that wouldn't leave, (finally left on Monday) I just needed to do nothing for a while.

Posted by: Maribeth at August 20, 2007 8:58 AM

Sounds like you're off to a flying start. I love "tonow".

My net has been down a lot this last week and I have some not so great stuff going on. I'll email you what I've told everyone else.

Posted by: ann adams at August 20, 2007 9:21 AM

I hate plumbing projects. No matter how prepared you think you are, you will make at least 3 trips to Home Depot/Lowes. You know you have made too many trips when the workers know you by name.

Posted by: Josh at August 20, 2007 9:39 AM

now I know who to email if I ever am domesticated and have home repair issues. :)

I tripped around Chi-town (definitely my kind of town! :)

Posted by: sunchaser at August 20, 2007 9:40 AM

Since buying the house, I've literally been to Home Depot every single weekend spending ridiculous amounts of money. Pffffft.

Posted by: mingaling at August 20, 2007 9:46 AM

2. You didn't photograph is for us?
4. I guess the bright side is that at least it wasn't toilet sludge/pipes, right?

I had to attend a family event on Saturday, which required four hours round trip travel. I spent Sunday doing mundane things around the house and NOT resting, so I'm hating Monday. ;-)

Posted by: Maria at August 20, 2007 9:48 AM

I painted (two coats) my daughter's new Big Girl Room (she has kindly agreed to give the baby her room in exchange for a new, bigger, purple room.

Man am I sore.

But I did manage to avoid Home Depot!

Posted by: Kaz at August 20, 2007 9:52 AM

Mmmmmmm. Hoommme Depot!

Posted by: Johnny Smoke at August 20, 2007 10:17 AM

Drove home Sunday from the beach. The only bad thing about the beach is the drive home, especially if it's on a Sunday.

Re: your task #4. That is the household chore I hate the most. I'm not sure what kind of potions my wife is using for makeup, but once a year or so the sinks start to backup and I have to remove the plumbing and clean the mess out. It turns in to some vile aspic that clings to the pipe. Wretched, foul chore.

Posted by: Jeff St Real at August 20, 2007 11:07 AM

Count me in on the pyramid scheme. I'm SO there.

Posted by: GreenCanary at August 20, 2007 11:26 AM

I had an amazing weekend (thanks for asking). I was in the wedding of two of my closest friends, in San Francisco.

Posted by: sandra at August 20, 2007 11:46 AM

EWWWW to the sink drains (been there, done that, seen Satan's sludgy manifestation [and smelled it] for myself) and it is pure evil.

and DOUBLE EWWW and OMG nasty gross I would have to move immediately if I found a SNAKE in my POND! GAH!! I hate snakes...but I hate one thing more than snakes - SNAKES IN WATER! GAH!!

You're a brave brave soul....

Posted by: carrster at August 20, 2007 11:52 AM

Re. the bathroom faucets...that evil sludge sounds like the cylinder of evil from "Prince of Darkness." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_of_Darkness_(film)

Watch out for the devil sludge - it'll getcha!

My weekend involved cleaning up the mess that the robbers left in my apartment and cheering myself up with Season 2 of "The Office." Exciting, non?

Posted by: FW Sunshine at August 20, 2007 12:04 PM

I spent most of the weekend caring for a sick cat, which included contemplating the sale of a kidney to pay the vet bill. Oh, and watching a movie that caused my boyfriend and I to break up, which sounds worse than it actually was.

Posted by: Judy at August 20, 2007 12:39 PM

OH... that explains the dead frog Beth spoke of. Much better explaination than I guessed at.

Tonow? That kid is a genius (but you knew that).

Ah, yes... the DIY home improvement. Even in a brand-spanking NEW house you end up with these "projects". I swear, home ownership is a very big black hole.

me? same old, same old. come read my blog if you care to know. if you don't, you won't. I'll still like you.

Posted by: sue at August 20, 2007 12:40 PM

Hmmm. Well, I drove 917.31 miles (thanks, Mapquest for the exact number) from Dartmouth, Nova Scotia to home, just west of Ottawa, Ontario. With a detour to Shediac, New Brunswick to collect shells. In an oldish car that makes a lot of funny noises. With two little girls (7 and 4), a portable dvd player, some dollar store "Where's Waldo?" books ("Where's Donald?" and "Where's Frankie?" Seriously. I couldn't make this stuff up if I tried), 4 stuffed animals, assorted Barbies, 2 blankies, a cooler full of drink boxes and cheese, 2 boogie boards, lots of luggage and a driver with a bad case of seafood overload indigestion.

Home Depot doesn't sound that bad now, does it?

Posted by: alison at August 20, 2007 12:49 PM

Tonow. I love that...

I cleaned the house. I pulled weeds - almost two trash bags full, in fact. I shopped for a dresser. I went to the pool.

No assembly or trips to Home Depot required. :P

Posted by: Emily at August 20, 2007 2:16 PM

Ah the blessing of first weekends in a new house.

Our weekend was actually pretty similar to yours. FreezeM spend an entire Sunday home improving.

Posted by: Nadine at August 20, 2007 2:41 PM

Oh, and tonow is TOO funny!

Posted by: Nadine at August 20, 2007 2:43 PM

I came home at noon on Friday because I didn't feel well, and spent the rest of the weekend asleep, basically. Asleep and sick. And also battling the ginormous cockroaches that live in and around our dwelling. Fuckers are disgusting. But boric acid with flour, sugar, and pheromones mixed in? Makes those little fuckers twitch like you wouldn't believe.

Posted by: Sparkle Pants at August 20, 2007 3:24 PM

So, yeah. I actually blogged about my weekend, no joke. But it involves a high school reunion, so go check it out. ;)

Posted by: alektra at August 20, 2007 4:37 PM

THAT is why I am a renter again! :) But I do love Ikea trips.

My weekend was far too fun to comment on in a public and pg-rated forum. ;) But thanks for asking!

Posted by: Trix at August 20, 2007 4:54 PM

I'm two weeks behind you... I spent this weekend packing and throwing things away. Only difference is that, once I get to my destination, my things are going to sit in boxes for a while yet, till I find my own place to live. Fun! Nothing like delaying the icky work.

Glad you're getting settled into your new home.

Posted by: patricia at August 20, 2007 6:41 PM

Imagine what you're going through right now with the house, spread out into a year. That is my life. The people at Home Depot know my face! I REFUSE to exchange names. Refuse.

Posted by: Tink at August 20, 2007 7:07 PM

Lather, rinse, repeat. I think my past THREE weekends have been nicely summed up by many entries on your "Weekend Happenings" list.

Will it ever end?!???

Posted by: ironic1 at August 20, 2007 10:44 PM

Allan and I are visiting fellow blogger and Radio Paradise friend, BlueHeronDruid.

It's great to be here.

Posted by: Alison at August 21, 2007 12:06 AM

Welcome to moving!! We've been in our new place for a year last July. We only recently cleaned out the 2nd bedroom where everything had been flung that wasn't needed right away (and some things that were).

We still need to put the room completely together and make that dreaded Lowes run to get the stuff we need.

We spend most weekends hanging out at Solomons Island, either at the Tiki Bar or the Pier in the evenings, eating and having a couple of drinks. Then home to feed cats and scoop litter boxes.

Fun filled time.....

Posted by: been there, done that at August 21, 2007 12:06 PM

Moving is expensive and painful! They day we got possesion of our house we spent $1000.00 at Home Depot picking things up we needed ON THE WAY to get the keys. Nuts I tell ya.

Posted by: SleepyNita at August 21, 2007 7:20 PM

tonow! That's a riot!

And you are a better soul than I, dear sir. Because that snake's ass (do they even have asses?)... well, whatever it has, would be grass!

Posted by: aimee/greeblemonkey at August 22, 2007 4:40 PM

In April I decided to "refresh" my three room apartment. By refresh I mean, paint the bedroom, paint the living room, paint the bathroom, paint some of the furniture, replace the blinds, redo the living room with new (ie matching) furniture, replace bathroom fixtures, and the kitchen floor.

I thought it would take a week or so and I had a budget.

Three months later and almost four times what I originally thought everything would cost, I am now on first name terms with the paint guy at Home Depot, the couch girl at IKEA, and four of the Target cashiers.

So for you to buy and redo an entire HOUSE -- you have my undying sympathy! I'll be sure to say a prayer for you tonight.

Posted by: Mala at August 23, 2007 5:02 PM