August 16, 2007

This Is What Backyards Are For

This my friends, this is what summer and backyards are all about.

Yesterday was my last day of freedom from work. I'm back in the saddle this morning. So, we decided to have a little fun yesterday. We started the day by wandering through Ikea and outfitting our new pad with some Swedish furniture. See, one of our giant couches didn't quite fit into the basement. The attempt was interesting to watch - four guys standing around trying to figure out how best to subvert the laws of physics. They weren't quite able to. And I have some holes in the walls to fix as evidence. Anyhoo, I honestly believe that Ikea is really the best store on the planet. Where else could Mia find a perfect helmet? It wasn't really a helmet but a nice plastic colander she fell in love with and wore around the store and all the way home. Once we made it home, there was napping, a few errands to run and then some hardcore sprinkler-running fun.
The house is coming together pretty well. The first floor is now livable. I haven't even taken shots of the basement or the second floor bedrooms. They're much less, uh, refined.

The place is a blank slate - almost all the walls are white and the fixtures are generic. Now, it's just a matter of finding the time to do everything we want. And of course, we have to spend a lot of time doing the important stuff like running through the sprinkler.

Posted by Chris at August 16, 2007 6:57 AM
Comments

That screams summer. And those are great actions shots.

Your new home looks good. The scattered toys makes it look like you've lived there for a long time. I know many people don't, but I love white walls because they remind me of a blank canvas. Ikea is one of my favorite stores.

Posted by: Maria at August 16, 2007 7:41 AM

Nice place! I see each room has been 'Mia-fied' accordingly. :o)

We have so many damned baby toys that I am just SURE some of them have migrated to the neighbors house, and we just aren't aware of it yet!

Posted by: Jen at August 16, 2007 7:45 AM

It looks like a great place! It seems Mia has made herself right at home :-) And I LOVE the sprinkler photos. You guys are having so much fun!

We moved into a blank slate home, too, back when we first got married. White walls, plain fixtures, neutral carpets. It was a blast to put our own stamp on the place!

Posted by: Alissa at August 16, 2007 7:54 AM

The pictures of the sprinkler makes me want to take off from work today and do just that.

Posted by: William at August 16, 2007 7:54 AM

It's so wierd to see all of your same stuff (great stuff), in different rooms!

I cant wait until my 13.5 month old can walk and run thru a sprinkler. I think we still have a few months to go.

Posted by: alfredsmom at August 16, 2007 8:46 AM

The last post made me wonder, but now I'm getting around to asking - where (in general, of course) did you guys move to? Are the schools good? I'm still poking around the real estate market and trying to check schools wherever i see a possibility.. I often wonder how the school's rating compares with the real experience (and since you are in your hometown, you have that info!)

I'm with you on Ikea. I'm pondering how to outfit a kids area in our newly floored basement and it's aaaaaalll about the Ikea!

Posted by: amy at August 16, 2007 8:48 AM

Sprinklers... brilliant!

Posted by: Sarah, Goon Squad Sarah at August 16, 2007 8:59 AM

There aren't many things more important than sprinkler time. Except maybe paying the water bill.

Posted by: Traci at August 16, 2007 10:02 AM

Looks like fun sprinkler time! I'm amazed at how quickly you guys have unpacked (even if you are only showing one floor).

We finally got our first Ikea store, but I haven't let myself go in yet. I love all their stuff, but I think the physics of trying to cram any more furniture into our house are against me.

Posted by: Kate the Shrew at August 16, 2007 10:31 AM

PICTURES!! It's still so surreal that Mia's running around in the sprinkler. She was just crawling, it seems like... Looks like you guys had blast!

I can't wait to see how things develop at the house as you change things to be how you want them! Thanks so much for sharing!!

Posted by: Emily at August 16, 2007 10:54 AM

Ikea is my favorite place too! Instead of a "helmet", I usually walk around with one of the stuffed animal. Just to leave them downstairs before we check out.

Posted by: oakley at August 16, 2007 11:10 AM

First, love the purple couch! I talked my husband into a red couch but I don't think I could get him to make the leap to purple.

Ikea rules!!! My red couch is from Ikea and everyone loves it. They comment on how incredibly comfortable it is. It's really time for a new one but I don't know if I can part with this one.

Posted by: snakeepoo at August 16, 2007 11:20 AM

Hey! I like to wear colanders on my head, too! Mia's got style, man.

Posted by: GreenCanary at August 16, 2007 11:27 AM

Running through the sprinkler is infinitely important! As is IKEA ;-) Glad ya had a good long weekend!

Posted by: Heather at August 16, 2007 12:18 PM

I've led a sheltered life...never been in an Ikea. I think I'd like it, tho'!

Love the sprinkler photo. Perfectly catches summer.

Posted by: sue at August 16, 2007 12:21 PM

That is one of my favorite childhood memories! Running through the sprinkler. To this day, the smell of water from the sprinkler or garden hose is one of my favorite smells.

The house is going to be lovely - the memories will be priceless!

Posted by: Trix at August 16, 2007 12:54 PM

I recently discovered the beauty of IKEA, too! LOVE! And, I totally want to get the monkey in the sprinkler! How CUTE is that! LOVE the pics!

Posted by: Haley-O at August 16, 2007 1:00 PM

We LOVE Ikea. Most of our house is furnished with Ikea. When we first got married... neither of us had any real furniture. We couldn't afford most of the "good" furniture stores. We looked at one place and realized that what we could spend to furnish just the living room in the one store... we could furnish the whole house from Ikea. So Ikea could now use our house as an ad for the store.

Posted by: Colleen at August 16, 2007 2:11 PM

But see, you have a long time to make the house completly yours. It'll happen.

Posted by: Phoenix at August 16, 2007 2:17 PM

I know I've asked you many questions regarding your awesome photography skills - but seriously...how do you get that awesome glowy, blur look to you photos?

Love it!!

Posted by: Lani at August 16, 2007 3:14 PM

Nothing beats the sprinkler smile...

Posted by: Kari at August 16, 2007 4:32 PM

thank you for the pics!
Your yard is great, and yes, lots of lawn needs a toddlar.
Looks like a real blank slate! and I hope you have fun being creative.

Posted by: Lisa at August 16, 2007 7:23 PM

Great pics - looks like you had fun playing in the sprinkler. There's no IKEA here in StL, so some friends and I usually make a 4.5-hours-one-way trip up to Chicago once or twice a year just to go there. That's how much we love it!

Posted by: Beth in StL at August 16, 2007 9:02 PM

I love IKEA too. Unfortunately, I've only ever been in two of their stores. Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania and Berlin, Germany. Colorado is hours from the nearest IKEA store.

It looks like you guys are settling in nicely. Soon it will be seem and look like home.

Posted by: Diane at August 16, 2007 10:47 PM

Ooooh it's actually SUMMER in your part of the world. The weather gods here, seem to have mixed up summer and fall. I LOVE the pictures of Mia in the garden. Judging from the other pictures, it looks like she has managed to unpack all of her toys! :)

Posted by: Nadine at August 17, 2007 4:42 AM

Love the sprinkler shots! And we live in a house build in 1930, with a very narrow basement stair. When we finally finished the basement, and the delivered the couch I fell in love with and measured 60 times at the store, after 6 attempts and 6 scratches on the walls, the sweaty delivery guys told me my return options. Bryan asked them to try it *one* more way, promised them a beer, and they bent into contortionist level configurations... but dammit they got that couch down my stairs. Of course, that couch now comes with the house if we ever move.

Posted by: aimee/greeblemonkey at August 17, 2007 9:12 AM

oh, and P.S! The house looks great!

Posted by: aimee/greeblemonkey at August 17, 2007 10:07 AM

Ah to be a kid. Sometimes I stick my butt over the sprinkler. But it's just not the same...

Posted by: Tink at August 17, 2007 4:31 PM

You busy people have made a love symbol without your knowledge...check out the third picture while you were having fun...

Posted by: The Parents Zone at August 18, 2007 8:20 AM

Didn't you JUST announce you were moving? How could you be moved already? What the hell? Why did moving myself and one apartment (oh, and a cat) seem to go on for all eternity?

Posted by: laura at August 21, 2007 5:02 PM

Some time before, I needed to buy a building for my organization but I didn't earn enough money and could not order something. Thank God my friend proposed to try to get the mortgage loans from creditors. Thus, I acted so and used to be satisfied with my auto loan.

Posted by: MelendezFrancesca31 at April 5, 2010 4:07 PM