September 18, 2007

Busy Days In Monkeytown

You have to be partially braindead if you can't find a good way to spend the day in D.C. We've got museums (free museums), restaurants from every culture in the known universe, theater, music and culture that soaks in through your pores. Drive a half an hour and you can find yourself in a whole different world full of lakes and hiking trails and wild animals. And if all else fails, I hear we have some of the best hookers in the mid-Atlantic region. Of course, that's just what I hear. I could be wrong. Anyway, back to the point - this past weekend, we spent a wonderful time in Monkeytown.

(For those of you scratching your heads wondering what the hell I'm talking about, Monkeytown is what Mia calls Washington. Both Beth and I are at a loss to explain the terminology. But, as with most things involving a toddler, sometimes you just have to shrug your shoulders and go with it.)

...more pics from Monkeytown at flickr...

On Saturday, capitalizing on the brilliant weather, we took a stroll through the United States Botanic Garden. Afterwards, we hiked across the Mall and wandered through the National Gallery of Art followed by lunch. Sunday was less adventurous - we hit Ikea, bought a new bed frame to match our new king-sized wonder-mattress and put it together. I'm sure we did other things too but that was the biggie.

Of course, throughout all our journeys - to Monkeytown and beyond - we discussed the baby with Mia. And made a solemn vow to get out as much as we can during the next five months. Who knows when we're ever going to get out of the house again?

Posted by Chris at September 18, 2007 6:30 AM
Comments

First of all: How exciting that you guys are expecting a little boy! Congratulations.
And yes, DC is an awesome city to spend time in. I was just back for the first time in over two years and enjoyed every minute of it. I love that Mia calls it Monkeytown. Maybe that is really what she hears you guys say. If you say Washington kind of fast and mumbly, it could sort of pass as Monkeytown (ok, maybe not). Or she remembers seeing monkeys there at the zoo. Or maybe she just knows that that's (dare I even say it?) where George Bush lives.

Posted by: Catharina at September 18, 2007 7:26 AM

"Monkeytown" actually sounds quite apt.

Posted by: E :) at September 18, 2007 7:26 AM

Mia is a smart cookie. She was probably watching the news when she thought of it. :-)

Beautiful, inspiring photos. I have been trying to decide where I'm going to go this weekend and I'm leaning towards the NY Botanical Garden.

Posted by: Maria at September 18, 2007 8:11 AM

My favorite of all of the pictures was the one of Mia on Beth's shoulders from the front. Beth's tucking her hair behind her ears, and Mia just looks so proud!

Posted by: Emily at September 18, 2007 8:18 AM

Since leaving Monkeytown, I can understand why someone would call it that. Regardless, your photos are making me miss it.

Posted by: Heather B. at September 18, 2007 9:26 AM

Once again, everybody beat me to it.

DC's #1 resident of course. Mia is a sharp little cookie.

Posted by: ann adams at September 18, 2007 9:59 AM

I adore Washington. The last time I was there was July 4th weekend, last year. Unfortunately, I had a pic-line in my arm to self-administer antibiotics and got accosted by an armed cop when my family, and our friends/guides ran across the street in the middle of the 4th of July Parade without alerting me to the change of direction. The very large lady cop literally picked me up off the ground and placed me back on the sidewalk, where she told me I had to stay until the parade was over, which was probably going to be 2 hours or so. She almost dislodged the IV from my arm, so that was fun. When I started to cry, she let me pass. Heh.

Posted by: Candy at September 18, 2007 9:59 AM

I was also going to say maybe she remembers seeing monkeys at the zoo there, but someone beat me to it.

The Botanical Garden is actually one of my favorite places in D.C. It's small, but impressive. I like taking visitors there, because I don't think many people actually know about it.

Posted by: Stephanie at September 18, 2007 10:06 AM

Beautiful pictures! Looks like a lovely weekend with the family...

Posted by: sue at September 18, 2007 10:13 AM

Beautiful photos.

Posted by: Jenn at September 18, 2007 10:19 AM

Monkeytown is accurate on too many levels to discuss in a single comment. I think Mia's insight is developing faster than the rest of her body.

That is one hell of a cowlick she's got, too.

Posted by: You can call me, 'Sir' at September 18, 2007 10:20 AM

wont you take me to, Monkeytown!

couldn't resist

Posted by: madmom at September 18, 2007 10:29 AM

I love the bath pic! Halarious!

Posted by: Rachael at September 18, 2007 10:50 AM

Love the bath pic! Halarious!

Posted by: Rachael at September 18, 2007 10:51 AM

Hee, Monkeytown. Good one, Mia.

Posted by: Fraulein N at September 18, 2007 11:46 AM

I would have to say that Mia already has a pretty good handle on Washington and what goes on there! I agree with her and monkeytown it shall be from here on out!

Posted by: Jeff A at September 18, 2007 1:36 PM

My gosh you take some amazing pictures. Do you mind if I ask what camera you have?

Posted by: Dianna at September 18, 2007 2:24 PM

Am super jealous of Mia's soapy mohawk. It's very Seuss-like :-) She's Lil' Mia-Who of Whoville!

Posted by: GreenCanary at September 18, 2007 7:03 PM

I recently visited Monkeytown. I wish I had known it was called Monkeytown BEFORE... Maybe I could have blended with the natives a little better.

Posted by: Sphincter at September 18, 2007 8:31 PM

Monkeytown. That name is right on so many levels ...and I can say that having lived there for 6 years and working in the Pentagon.

Love the bath alfalfa do!

Posted by: kali at September 19, 2007 4:11 PM

The home loans seem to be essential for guys, which would like to ground their own company. As a fact, it is easy to get a short term loan.

Posted by: MathewsLea at August 19, 2011 9:22 PM