September 11, 2007

9-11

I will always remember driving over the hill that overlooked the District and seeing the smoke rising from the explosion at the Pentagon. I will always remember the bright blue day, a day unrivaled in beauty since. I will always remember walking through the door to our apartment, seeing Beth glued to the television showing the first tower fall. I will always remember my first words - "Jesus Christ. They have video of this? I don't know why it never occurred to me that they'd have video of this." I'll always remember watching the first tower fall - it had fallen an hour before but I hadn't heard it had gone down. I will always remember watching the specs of debris fall from the towers and, later, learning that the debris were people. I will always remember asking, "how bad must it have been up there to make jumping 110 stories seem like the better alternative?"

I will always remember these things because they were indelibly etched into my mind and woven into the fabric of our country...and the world. I will always remember these things because, while I could never shake these memories from my consciousness if I tried, it's my duty to remember. Actively. Forgetting means dishonoring those who died six years ago and those who risked their lives - some of whom paid the ultimate price - to save those in need of rescue. And that day, we all needed rescue.

Posted by Chris at September 11, 2007 6:26 AM
Comments

As always, well stated. I wrote a similar post...not as eloquent, of course, but similar.

Posted by: Alissa at September 11, 2007 7:54 AM

well said.

Posted by: William at September 11, 2007 8:26 AM

I will remember too.

Posted by: linda at September 11, 2007 8:41 AM

I try to not remember, but I was but a few blocks away during the Oklahoma City bombing so 9/11 was a bit too close to home. It's still too much too soon and I don't want to remember the sadness.

Posted by: daisy at September 11, 2007 8:54 AM

Well said. I pass the WTC site (four blocks from my office) nearly every day so I remember every day.

Posted by: Maria at September 11, 2007 8:55 AM

Yes. It's a sad day indeed. The memories I will carry with me all the days of my life. The innocents who perished, should never be forgotten, nor the brave men and women who attempted their rescue.
God bless.

Posted by: Maribeth at September 11, 2007 9:30 AM

I think you captured the feelings of a lot of us who can't put into words how they feel, myself included.

You rock.

Posted by: Michelle at September 11, 2007 9:53 AM

I thought the same thing as I watched those people jump from a rooftop in Manhattan.

Thanks for writing about this today. I wasn't going to, because I wrote my "big" post last year. I think I'll write again anyway.

Posted by: Type (little) a at September 11, 2007 10:00 AM

I saw it on t.v. from the beginning. For some reason I had GMA on t.v. while I was getting the girls ready for school when the first report came in. At first it sounded relatively minor. I switched over to CNN just as the second plane hit and then I phoned my Army reserve son and woke him up.

How awful it must have been for those of you who were there. I was 3,000 miles away and still I kept the girls out of school. Not because I was afraid, exactly, but because I wanted family close to me.

Posted by: ann adams at September 11, 2007 10:01 AM

one of my co-workers took the first video from the rooftop of his apartment in brooklyn. he just happened to have the camera from an assignment the previous night.

beautiful post.

Posted by: jess at September 11, 2007 10:34 AM

Amen.

Posted by: sue at September 11, 2007 10:53 AM

Thank you. That was very well said. I remember too, and I help my children remember.

Posted by: Karen at September 11, 2007 10:57 AM

[moment of silence]

Well said, Chris! :)

Posted by: oakley at September 11, 2007 11:31 AM

Incredibly well written, but I am not surprised at all. Thank you for this post.

Posted by: Krush at September 11, 2007 11:35 AM

my husband was there that day at WTC. i was not far. not knowing where he was, scariest ever. your post today was just right. thank you.

Posted by: madmom at September 11, 2007 12:54 PM

That was beautiful. Things are so crazy with me that I actually forgot today was 9/11.

Posted by: Diane at September 11, 2007 1:14 PM

Well said Chris. I too will never forget the images that were cast into my memory that day.

Posted by: Jeff A at September 11, 2007 1:25 PM

Well said Chris. Thank you for putting into words what we should be feeling today. This will never be a"normal" day again.

Posted by: kali at September 11, 2007 1:53 PM

Thank you! Very well written.

I was in Hoboken, NJ when the towers went down. I was teaching in a preschool classroom and we had a view of the towers from our classroom window. Fortunately the shades were drawn (like you said beautiful sunny day). We heard from others what was going on... and couldn't help but set the children to free play and see for ourselves. How do you believe when another teacher comes to your door and says a plane flew through the building??? Is it possible to say in one sentence that that day went by in a haze... but oh so clearly?

Posted by: Colleen at September 11, 2007 2:40 PM

Very well said.

It still seems surreal to me. I think because I lived nowhere close to where any of the events took place and I knew of no one directly affected. Since I was working at a place that had no internet, no television, and the boss didn't seem to think it was that big of a deal, I felt very cut off from the outside world.

Posted by: anna at September 11, 2007 3:58 PM

Well said, Chris. We all need to remember.

Posted by: Dianna at September 11, 2007 6:12 PM

----.

Posted by: Sphincter at September 11, 2007 7:18 PM

I can't add anything to that.

Posted by: wordgirl at September 11, 2007 10:38 PM

It's interesting because I read a quote from a woman in some paper (which one? God only knows ;) the other day saying something to the effect that "it's time to move on." People can be so insensitive.

As members of the human race, it is important to honor and remember these kinds of days, and we do (Kristallnacht, D-day, Memorial Day).

I remember being far, far away in SoCal when I heard about it on the news (3hrs behind when it had actually happened), freaking out about family members who work and live in Manhattan (and breathing sighs of relief to find out they were all OK), and then just feeling so sad for everyone else.

Posted by: sunchaser at September 12, 2007 2:41 PM

This gave me goosebumps.

Posted by: motherofbun at September 12, 2007 4:00 PM

This gave me goosebumps.

Posted by: motherofbun at September 12, 2007 4:00 PM

Amen!

Posted by: Tammy at September 12, 2007 7:38 PM

I took my first home loans when I was 25 and it supported my family very much. Nevertheless, I need the short term loan once again.

Posted by: Sharon33Murray at May 8, 2010 10:55 PM