September 4, 2007

The 1,296 Things We Did This Weekend

This fine long weekend was a busy one. A very labor-intensive one. So much so that I feel as though I've been kicked around by a group of angry donkeys. Now, I don't really know exactly what that entails but, loosely translated, it means not good. Here's a partial list (because I can't remember everything) of the crap we did:

1. The usual stuff (breathing, peeing, eating breakfast, drinking coffee...)
  2. Went to Home Depot (lawnmower)
  3. Went to Home Depot (plumbing supplies)
  4. Went to Home Depot (more plumbing supplies)
  5. Mowed and landscaped all 4,392 acres of yard (okay, slight exaggeration but that's how it felt)
  6. Replaced two bathroom faucets
  7. Invented hitherto unknown combinations of foul language to address said faucets
  8. Replaced two bathroom light fixtures
  9. Installed new medicine cabinet
  10. Bought new bed (king-size Select Comfort, because we're getting old and creaky and we both feel as though we've been involved in a literal train wreck every time we get out of bed)
  11. Read a book (Charlie Huston's The Shotgun Rule)
  12. Honed final details for in-laws' 60th birthday party to be held at our house next weekend (there's a word for people like us - it's either brave or stupid)
  13. Finished unpacking books and CDs
  14. Built new bookcase/cabinet for Mia's room
  15. Found good new Chinese place
  16. Did a photo shoot with Mia and niece
  17. Edited photos (and out of the 125 I took, there were only four good ones in my critical view)
  18. Visited parents for Labor Day cookout
  19. Sang ABCs (about one billion times)
  20. Played trains
  21. Watched Rocket (a.k.a. Little Einsteins)
  22. Slept

To all you out there in the interspherenetoweb, I bid you good morning. Now, excuse me if I pass out right... Fuck! Head in coffee! Head in coffee!

Posted by Chris at September 4, 2007 6:17 AM
Comments

How did you decide on the Sleep number bed? Hubs and I are in the market for a new mattress and there are so many to choose from!

Posted by: Lisa at September 4, 2007 9:07 AM

You found good Chinese food in the area? Now THAT is a hallmark of a successful weekend.

Posted by: Stephanie at September 4, 2007 9:45 AM

I only see 22 things. What about the other 1,274? You promised!

While I was remodeling the hizzy, I practically became 'Norm' from Cheers to some of the Lowes employees due to my near-daily excursions to their little DIY playground. It could happen to you.

Posted by: You can call me, 'Sir' at September 4, 2007 9:53 AM

Dude, you win.

Posted by: Brad at September 4, 2007 9:55 AM

You had me until you said you read a book. Really? All that and you still had time to read a book? Like who was holding it while you drove to Home Depot three times and while you were installing the parts? I just don't know how you did it!!

Now it's time to take a day off!

Posted by: BID at September 4, 2007 10:33 AM

You deserve a rest!

We have that same bed and love it. Hubs says it is the most comfortable bed he's ever slept in. I like it because I like a soft one and he likes a hard one... my only complaint is it seems the top mattress wants to slide a bit on the lower section.Keep an eye on it - also, ours has broken down a bit on the edge where I seem to lay a lot. I've had to train myself to lay closer to the center so I don't make it worse. Just a heads up on that.

Posted by: sue at September 4, 2007 11:34 AM

Man, I love The De'po! I would totally work there if I could pull off the orange apron.

Posted by: GreenCanary at September 4, 2007 12:34 PM

Sounds like a lot of stuff for three short days! I did, um, much less than that. Although I did canoe, which was fun at the time, but now the my right arm is about to fall off. Note to self: should have switched off the side on which I was paddling once in a while.

Posted by: Jessie at September 4, 2007 12:37 PM

we have a sleep number bed too. LOVE IT. we got the one with the most pillow top. because that's the way we roll. ours is only queen size tho.
when we got it, Wil said his number was 100 because anything lower was for pussies, pardon my french. but by night number 2, he was taking it down to 15 or so to make a little nest for himself.
what's your sleep number? my sleep number is 35-45, depending.

Posted by: jodi at September 4, 2007 12:56 PM

what's your sleep number? my sleep number is 35-45, depending.

Posted by: jodi at September 4, 2007 12:57 PM

Why do you think it's called Labor Day?

Posted by: Heather at September 4, 2007 12:59 PM

We installed hardwood flooring in our den and dining room this weekend. It only took 6 trips to Home Depot and Lowe's to properly acquire all the shit we needed. On the last trip, while trying to figure out how many 8ft sections of baseboard we needed to finish the trimwork, our 5yr old daughter asked if we could swing by the plumbing deparment to get a piece of plastic tubing to fix her hula hoop (it had cracked and she thought she could patch the two pieces together into a piece of tubing). Vince quickly decided we needed to do something with the girls on the weekends other than home improvement projects.......

Posted by: Jen at September 4, 2007 1:27 PM

Jeez, Mr. Productivity, thanks for making me feel guilty! ;)

Actually, I did listen to some of the podcasts that have been piling up in my Itunes library so my weekend wasn't completely unproductive.

Posted by: sunchaser at September 4, 2007 1:42 PM

Your head will fit in your coffee cup?!

Posted by: Emily at September 4, 2007 1:53 PM

Is it odd that we did 87% of the things on your list as well?

Some kind of creepy parallel universe of home improvement thing.

Posted by: Pammer at September 4, 2007 2:38 PM

I could use more bookshelves.

Posted by: wordgirl at September 4, 2007 2:42 PM

jesus, i thought MY weekend was busy! :)

Posted by: ali at September 4, 2007 3:52 PM

Wow, that sounds very familiar. Sounds like what we were doing earlier this summer after our move. Right now we're busy with school and don't have time for house stuff. Need to get back on it soon.

Posted by: Magnolia Mom at September 4, 2007 5:41 PM

And I thought our weekend was busy!

Did you know that plumbers have a language all their own? The longer you live in your home, the more of the language you will learn.

And if you get confused, let me know. Don gives lessons.

Posted by: cassie-b at September 4, 2007 7:32 PM

Fer fuck's sake! What's this with making the rest of us look like lazy slacker couch potatoes? I realize you've got to get your place in tip-top condition for that little par-tay you're having next weekend, but geez! Now I feel like a complete failure. All I did was thoroughly clean the bathrooms (finally -- we only moved in a month ago!) and cleaned up for a little cook out on Labor Day with the fam...

Never mind that I didn't get anything else done because mom's in the hospital and dad doesn't have a clue about anything but bringing home the money, working outside, and watching TV.

Anyway, I was thinking, after this party this weekend that you're having? That mebbe you could come visit us in Ohio and uh, be a mover and shaker HERE and get some shit done for US! Yeah, sounds like a GREAT idea to me! That, or maybe you could negotiate with my school district to let me have another month off, paid, of course.

*sigh* Does it ever end???!?? ;-)

Posted by: ironic1 at September 4, 2007 8:12 PM

Hey! That's a coincidence! I slept, too. Other than that, I wasn't terribly productive over the weekend. And I'm not jealous of you.

Posted by: Sphincter at September 4, 2007 8:43 PM

U slept? That makes for a well spent weekend.
Also, mind sharing the book case you built for Mia. I could do with some ideas for my 2 year old as well.

Posted by: NM at September 5, 2007 5:23 AM

OMG, I loooooooooooooove my Sleep Number Bed. Bryan and I could be the face of their commercials. He is an 80 and I am a 35. There is literally a RIDGE between the two sides of our bed.

Posted by: aimee/greeblemonkey at September 5, 2007 11:29 PM