September 17, 2007

The Answer

So I've kept you in the dark long enough, huh? In February, Beth, Mia and I will be welcoming a little boy into our family.

We took the weekend to talk with Mia about this development. The three of us had a lot of conversations about the new baby, where he is and when he would be stopping by to see us. We have a lot to work on, conceptually, but we've got some time.

I'll admit to being a little freaked out. See, I have the girl thing down. I mean, I've by no means mastered it but I have a couple of years of experience being a dad to a girl under my belt. And now, apparently, I'm going to have to learn some more. Plus, you know, I'm not a typical guy's guy. It this kid wants me to, well, throw a 50 yard pass or go ogle chicks at the local Hooters, well, first those are really weird requests from an infant and second, that's not me. But I guess I, too, have some time to work this stuff out.

Last night, just after dinner, Mia made her way over to Beth's chair, asked Beth to lift her shirt over her stomach, and began to sing to the baby. It was, perhaps, the sweetest thing I've ever seen. I knew then that we'd all be all right. If we can come up with a name. You guys have any good suggestions for boys' names? We're terrible at coming up with boy's names.

Posted by Chris at September 17, 2007 6:31 AM
Comments

can't believe i was wrong. i was sure it was a girl!

but, i'm so happy for you guys! i did the boy after girl thing and i was totally freaked too...for the same reason. i knew how to have a girl. but it's GREAT.

Posted by: ali at September 17, 2007 7:01 AM

Congrats!!(and thanks for finally letting us know!!:)

Posted by: vanessa at September 17, 2007 7:14 AM

Woot! A little boy! Congratulations.

I love the names Oliver and Tasman. There's my two (Australian) cents. Which is worth about US1.65 cents.

Posted by: E :) at September 17, 2007 7:16 AM

Congratulations!

Names? Maddock (good, generous), Manus (great), Mitchell, Makani (wind), Adelio (noble), Alair (cheerful/merry), or Amerigo (home ruler).

Posted by: Maria at September 17, 2007 7:18 AM

That's awesome Chris. I'm really happy for you.

(And from one non-guy's-guy to another: you'll do just fine.)

Posted by: SciFi Dad at September 17, 2007 7:36 AM

For boys' names, I've always been partial to Ross. But that's just me :-P

Congratulations and that's wonderful news!

Posted by: Ross at September 17, 2007 7:37 AM

A boy! I'm so excited for y'all!

Don't be freaked out too much. You can play your guitar for this kid and that's so much cooler than cruising the local Hooters for chicks. Our boy is so much fun - you will have a blast, I promise.

Posted by: Sam at September 17, 2007 7:45 AM

Awww, a boy!! How exciting. You get the best of both worlds. How lucky!

As for names, here are a few I like right now

Ryland, Trey, Croix (Kroy) and there's a bunch more but those would be my top picks.

Good luck!

Posted by: Peggy at September 17, 2007 7:54 AM

that is WONDERFUL! yay!

No suggestions from around here though...we're still working on that in our household!

Posted by: wn at September 17, 2007 7:55 AM

Congratulations Chris, Beth & Mia!!

You are one of the coolest father's I know (which is saying a lot since you live on the interweb and all!!)

I have no doubt you're going to do just fine with your baby boy... just think of all the cool stuff you're going to pass down to both of them... :-)

Posted by: Michelle at September 17, 2007 7:55 AM

Congrats! And yes, that sounded like an incredibly sweet scene.

Boys names??? Euh anything but Urkel?

Posted by: mikkie at September 17, 2007 7:57 AM

I knew it! I knew it! Of course, I had a 50% chance of being right and those are pretty awesome odds. I came from an all-female family and I've got three sons and I find males to be infintely easier. Names are so personal and I hesistate to even offer up a suggestion. Think of books you like and the characters within...or the writers from whose imagination the stories sprung. That's plenty of fodder for names. You guys are readers and books are a great resource for names. Good luck.

Posted by: wordgirl at September 17, 2007 8:01 AM

Yay! A baby brother for Mia! Boys are cool...you'll be just fine.

Let's see, Nicky's middle name is Tate, which I LOVE for a boys name. Andy didn't love it so much, that's why it's only his middle name. But Tate would be a wonderful name to go with Mia. :-)

Posted by: Alissa at September 17, 2007 8:03 AM

My favorite boys name is Hayden. Which we would have used for Michael but we needed an "M." name. It is a tradition in judaism to name using a letter of the first name of a deceased relative.

Posted by: jodi at September 17, 2007 8:17 AM

I just cooed over at Beth's so I feel silly doing the same here, but seriously? I'm so excited for you guys. It'll be a whole new ballgame! For some reason, though - I thought you both agreed on boys names last time but not girl names. Apparently? I was wrong. Regardless!! There's a boy on the way!! Congratulations!!

Posted by: Emily at September 17, 2007 8:20 AM

I just came from Beth's blog where I read your news. Congrats! As for boys names-we had a heck of a time too! Our son is James Matthew and the runner up name was Nicholas. Good luck! I think boys names are tough to pick.

Posted by: Joanne at September 17, 2007 8:25 AM

congrats to you three! it must be exciting! and chris, i'm sure you won't have any problems raising a little boy. you were anxious about mia before she was born and look how wonerful it's been with her! and, like someone else mentioned, you can rock out with the guitar; there's not much cooler than that when you're a little boy. except maybe frogs and boogers and gross stuff like that. :)

seriously, though, you'll be fine!

Posted by: Judy at September 17, 2007 8:33 AM

Congrats! You'll do fine as a father to a boy! We were glad we had boys as we could never agree on girls names.

Some boys names we liked- Donovan, Mackenzie, Riley, Nicholas, Alexander (Zander)

Posted by: Lisa at September 17, 2007 8:35 AM

eeeeh I was wrong! I am never wrong! Of course, that is a total lie, but whatever!

Congrats!! How exciting!

Boy names? I like William (Will for short), Eric, Aaron. Normal, traditional-type names for me.

We have decided that if and when we have numbah two, and its a boy, his name will be Marcus (or Mark) Phillip, after his brother and my Dad, both now passed on.

So of course I am partial to both Marcus, or Mark, and Phillip.

*shrugs*

Good luck with the name thing!! LOL
And Congrats once again!!

Posted by: Jen at September 17, 2007 8:37 AM

Yay, a boy! I have learned that little boys are fun.
We didn't pick out Adam's name until we were 15 minutes away from the hospital. Thank goodness he was a boy, because we could not agree on a girl's name at all.
Congratulations!

Posted by: kmum at September 17, 2007 8:48 AM

Hot Damn! Congratulations. And? Don't sweat it -- you ARE a boy, after all. Start there. ;)

Names? Pick someone in the family who has died that you admired and use their name - or use the initial of their first name. A lovely way to honor them, and teach CactusBoy a bit about great family and special qualities.

Posted by: Pammer at September 17, 2007 8:51 AM

Congratulations on your little boy! I've been the parent of a little boy for almost a year now, and it's been so much fun. Oh, just a warning: you'll have to do a LOT more duck and covering while changing diapers than with Mia!

We picked the name Gabriel, since we liked the nickname options, there were no terrible name deviations (that we could think of) and it just felt right:o)

Posted by: Heather at September 17, 2007 8:56 AM

Congrats to the three of you!! I'm happy for you guys. =)

I've always liked Seth, and Cameron for boys. And Oz, and Xander, but those are just my fan-girl self showing through. ^^;

Posted by: Secha at September 17, 2007 8:58 AM

Thor. That name screams, "I have a hammer and I know how to use it." No one will ever mess with a Thor.

Posted by: You can call me, 'Sir' at September 17, 2007 9:03 AM

Congrats. I knew it was a boy. No help with names though - sorry. I felt the same way you did when I found out my second was a girl after having a boy - trust me, it all works out fine.

That said - I will give you this piece of advice. Always keep little boys covered when you change them for the first month or so. That first whoosh of cool air will make them pee - and you don't want that going everywhere. Just keep the front of the old diaper there until you're ready to swap.

Posted by: Traci at September 17, 2007 9:09 AM

Congrats. And, to make you feel better, you would have had to learn new things even if you had another girl because they're all so different. We don't parent our two girls the same way because their personalities are so different.

We had a hard time with boys' names too. And with my second pregnancy we had to come up with two names that we liked because we were having twins and didn't find out the gender before they were born. We liked Patrick and Brendan (see a theme here?), and ended up with a Brendan. I also like the name Jack. Of course, it's hard to suggest names when we don't know your last name (I'm not fishing, really) because it might be, say, Black, so Jack Black probably wouldn't be appropriate. :P

Posted by: Carolyn at September 17, 2007 9:17 AM

Congrats! Beware when changing diapers, boys will pee on you. Family names are a good backup for names. We find out in a few weeks what we are having.

Posted by: Josh at September 17, 2007 9:29 AM

CONGRATS!!!! As the mother of 2 boys, and having NO boy experience (i only had a sister growing up) I love it love it love it. Don't have any suggestions, just can tell you what my kids names are: Cameron David & Jake Patrick. We had the hardest time picking boy#2's name, Jake was a last minute decision and we love it :)

Posted by: Danielle at September 17, 2007 9:32 AM

I think that we're all pretty sure you'll do great ;-) Even with the naming - I love how you guys picked Amelia and then turned it into something a little simpler with Mia which is adorable (and who is adorable too :P) so you'll do just great with a boy, too!

Posted by: Heather at September 17, 2007 9:32 AM

I like Alfredo, Lisandro, Leonardo, and Mikael.

Posted by: Katherine at September 17, 2007 9:37 AM

I like Alfredo, Lisandro, Leonardo, and Mikael.

Posted by: Katherine at September 17, 2007 9:37 AM

Congrats!

I'm a fan of more traditional boy names. David and Jeffrey are on my short list, paired with Cecil (which I know isn't for everyone, but it's a family name).

Posted by: jaime at September 17, 2007 9:38 AM

congrats!!!
the only boys names I have ever really liked are Gage and Jackson. My daughter would have been Kane, her father's choice.

Posted by: betty at September 17, 2007 9:45 AM

Oh, Chris, congratulations! That's awesome. I'm really excited for you. I know what you mean about being a bit freaked out -- I was too when I found out Oliver was a boy. Before I had one of each I remember laughing at people who told me that boys and girls are wired TOTALLY differently...but it's true. And having one of each is amazing -- seriously, both of my kids have taught me so much about life and myself and what's important, just by being who they are. You'll fall into place with your little guy just as if he'd been in your life forever.

Posted by: mamatulip at September 17, 2007 9:47 AM

Yay, one of each! I'm sure you'll do fine with a boy; you can teach him how to be a well-rounded little Renaissance man.

Posted by: Fraulein N at September 17, 2007 9:48 AM

Congratulations!

P.S. My son drags me to Hooter's all the time. Get used to it.

Posted by: Chag at September 17, 2007 9:52 AM

About the time you were expecting Mia we too were expecting our own little girl. Or at least we were told that it was a girl at the ultrasound. When my little girl was born an obvious *boy*, it was a huge surprise.

Fast forward 2 years later and the idea of having a girl seems scary to us! We are both math/computer types and so far our kid seems to have inherited our nerdiness. Sure he likes kicking around a soccer ball also - but that is his way of telling us we need more exercise.

You'll be fine.

PS: We've never been peed on by our son. I was really expecting it, as I had read comments such as the one above... but it just never happened for us. :D

PPS: We only considered girls' names and I have no idea what I'd name another boy.

Posted by: Jacqueline at September 17, 2007 9:53 AM

Sometimes I hate living on the left coast. Someone always says what I was going to say before I can say it.

So I'll say it again. Make sure there's something between your face and his little penis when you're changing him.

Congratulations. No idea on names.

Posted by: ann adams at September 17, 2007 9:59 AM

Congratulations!!!!! Having boy/girl twins has let me experience both sides and I truly love them both. They are SO different and SO fun...I think you will adapt very quickly to having a boy and love it. My hubby is not your "typical guy's guy" either and I have no worries...geeks are cool too! =)
Our alternative names were Carter, Myrick, and Hudson...we ended up with Heaten Grey Myrick Barr. Nice long name.

Posted by: lesley at September 17, 2007 10:09 AM

Posted by: lesley at September 17, 2007 10:10 AM

Congrats on the impending boyness! My favorite boy names are Alex, Joshua, Ben, Jacob, and Peter.

Posted by: Sandy at September 17, 2007 10:12 AM

From experience: name him anything that doesn't rhyme with a bodily function.

Posted by: Martin at September 17, 2007 10:17 AM

Mortimer. Apollo. In any case, no worries. He's going to have a boatload of nicknames before he sees the light of day anyway, so you'll figure something out.

Congratulations!

Posted by: bhd at September 17, 2007 10:17 AM

You are going to be a great dad to a boy, just like you are to Mia. He'll get exposure to sports and stuff from other places and you can certainly be supportive of that. But you will teach him about the other important things in life and how to be a good person. That's much harder to teach than how to throw a fastball.

Congratulations!

Posted by: donna at September 17, 2007 10:18 AM

that? is AWESOME!! see, our first borns were already promised to each other for marriage... (what, you didn't know? yeah, they are.) and now our second-borns can be, too! it was OBVIOUSLY meant to be.

Posted by: b. at September 17, 2007 10:27 AM

Just came over from Beth's, blog... Congratulations to all three of you! Boys are so much fun!

Hmmm.. Name suggestions, huh? Jacob, Ethan, Tyler, Riley, Corey or Marshall. Had to include an M name to go with Mia! Well, I know that's a nickname, but I just had to.

Posted by: Suzy at September 17, 2007 10:29 AM

Yay! A little boy - how exciting. Now you'll have one of each - the perfect balance. Congrats!

Posted by: Allison at September 17, 2007 10:43 AM

Many congratulations! I think you'll find the oogling of the girls at Hooters to be less painful than you might first think. ;)

Posted by: Nathan Pralle at September 17, 2007 10:44 AM

Congratulations! :)
Personally, I'm partial to the names Geoffrey and Tristan.

Posted by: Lisa at September 17, 2007 10:53 AM

I was right! I like being right.
Names are pretty personal. I always take into consideration the other family names, the last name, and possible parent/grandparent names. Then, of course, you have to weed out any and all names of people you hated in school or have bad personal references for, and last any bad or good nicknames must be taken into consideration. It isn't just a case of "throw me a name"... this is a process, I tell ya... a process! Okay, rant over. Congrats!

Posted by: sue at September 17, 2007 10:54 AM

Matthew, Luke, Thomas, John, James, Christopher, Mark, Isaac, basically your more boring, old fashioned type names.

Posted by: Leilani at September 17, 2007 11:00 AM

Don't be scared. Boys are easier. I mean - expect more bruises and stuff like that, but they seem to have less temper tantrums.

Posted by: Sarah, Goon Squad Sarah at September 17, 2007 11:04 AM

Any chances of going with Chris Cactus Junior or better yet Chris Cactus II? Congrats though.

Posted by: Jody at September 17, 2007 11:08 AM

Naming a kid is such a personal thing. Nice of you to ask, but wow, I'm not touching that one. Here's my solicited advice though from when we named our boy:

1. Does it go well with the last name? No rhyming, no ending on an "s" if your last name begins with an "s". That sort of thing.

2. How popular is it? We didn't want anything in the top 50. http://www.ssa.gov/OACT/babynames/ is a great site for that.

3. Will he have to always say his name twice? Sure, Skyzed is a fun name, but having to spell your first name every time you say it will make you hate your parents.

Jen and I both made separate lists and then combined them, whittling it down over 6 months or so. We obsessed a bit.

Posted by: Brad at September 17, 2007 11:16 AM

Congratulations !

My first thought for a name was Christopher. Then I realized that that probably wouldn't work for you. I also like Joshua and Luke. As a teacher I would recommend against Anthony. They always seem to be...mischievious.

Posted by: Heather at September 17, 2007 11:22 AM

Sounds like you and a guy friend need to plan an evening out at Hooters, just to...you know...get practice just in case.

Posted by: alfredsmom at September 17, 2007 11:25 AM

I win, I win - I made the right guess to the sex of the bebe! Congrats! As a mom to a little boy, I have the same fears about the potential to have a little girl. Funny how that works...

I am terrible at boy names which is why Matthew is Matthew. We STRUGGLED in a huge way to come up with something that went well with out last name and one we both liked.

I like Banana isn't that what Mia came up with!?

Posted by: Christina at September 17, 2007 11:33 AM

This is all very exciting (and sweet).

We just have the little boy. My husband isn't your "typical man" either. We hate sports at our house, etc. We continually say that our biggest fear is our son wanting to play basketball. Dude, I can't see myself sitting on the sidelines rooting for our guy. But the reality is I'll happily do it.

And as for boy names...that was the hardest for us also. We had a girl name figured out. But no boy names. Towards the end of the pregnancy I was watching movies with the hope of finding a name I liked.

It worked.

Posted by: Isabel at September 17, 2007 11:35 AM

Congratulations! And a February due date means he might be an Aquarius - that's an EXCELLENT sign. Heh.

So names, umm, are you guys looking for a long name or short name? A name with good nicknames, or a name that won't really be shortened? Traditional names or more creative names? Without knowing any of those things, here are some names that I like:

Jonah
Ryan
Luke
David
Evan
Pilot Inspektor (kidding, ha!)
Joshua
Paul
Brennan
Chase

Posted by: erin at September 17, 2007 11:58 AM

Hooray!

Posted by: Sphincter at September 17, 2007 11:59 AM

Wheeeeee! Yay! Congratulations all around again! hmm - boy names... Lee is a big family name - boys and girls alike... I've always like Elliot maybe for a middle name...Also like: Jason, Samuel (Sam), Kirby and Holden (not b/c of Catcher in the Rye though!)

Posted by: Sue at September 17, 2007 12:25 PM

Congrats! Well you already have the name Wally reserved.... :) I like Connor and Aidan!

Posted by: Laura at September 17, 2007 12:35 PM

Congratulations!

As a mother of two boys I can say you will be fine. Just be careful when changing diapers......fountains can happen.

Maybe you should go to Hooters and call it research for later.........

Posted by: Kali at September 17, 2007 12:38 PM

Dude, we're in exactly the same boat. I got girls down pat, but have no idea what to do with boys.

Since we've got a few months on you, I'll let you know how it goes.

I've heard kids can be all lovey and excited to the baby before it comes out, and totally change after they see what a baby is really like....

Posted by: Kaz at September 17, 2007 12:42 PM

How lovely! Congratulations to your family!

Be sure to invest in some PeePee TeePees!

How about the name Peter? Amelia and Peter Cactusfish. See? Lovely!

Posted by: zanie at September 17, 2007 12:46 PM

Congrats to you all.

Chris, you have to figure a boy generally takes after his dad. And if not, you can always teach him what you know and find someone else to throw the boy a ball.

Posted by: Phoenix at September 17, 2007 12:46 PM

congrats..of course you'll be great... you'll ALLL be great.. for boy names.. i like
Cash...
after johnny rip..
xoxo

Posted by: suicide_blond at September 17, 2007 1:10 PM

Boys are pretty easy, at least mine has been for the past 2 years. :) At this stage, I think both genders are into the same things. Sully doesn't have dolls, but he has stuffed animals that he 'tends' to like a girl would with dolls.

Congratulations! I think everyone should have a boy or two, they freaking rock. :D I'd list some names, but I have trouble with that... my tastes run to different kinds of names, not too many like 'em.

Posted by: Phoenix at September 17, 2007 1:15 PM

Oh. My. Dog.

This is what I get for going off the grid for awhile. People up and getting pregnant!

Congratulations, y'all.

Wow.

Posted by: Contrary at September 17, 2007 1:23 PM

I find boys' names SO hard! But, you have lots of time to think of the one perfect for you guys! I also can't tell you because, maybe I'm having a boy and have my heart set on ONE NAME! ;) Or, maybe I'm having a girl...? hee. You'll see soon enough. Very soon!

Congrats on the "million-dollar family"! So nice to have one of each. And, you'll be the PERFECT daddy to your new son -- just like you are with you adorable daughter. :)

Posted by: Haley-O at September 17, 2007 1:25 PM

Congrats! Every boy needs an older sister. ;-)
I'll give you our boy's name is Lilli had been a boy: Samuel James. Also, there's cool site where you can put in Mia's name and it will generate boy names that would go well with it. It's http://www.nymbler.com/nymbler/

Posted by: Kelley at September 17, 2007 1:37 PM

A name... How 'bout "Agavis?"

Posted by: GreenCanary at September 17, 2007 1:40 PM

aww, a little boy! most of my US cousins and their kids are girls so we get super excited when someone has a boy.

as for boys names, I like the plain names: James, Matthew, Daniel, Henry, etc.

Posted by: denise at September 17, 2007 1:46 PM

Yay!

Names are always tough--there is always someone that you know that ruins a good name. Good luck!

Posted by: Nanette at September 17, 2007 1:55 PM

Jack, Nathanial, Oliver...

Congrats! I think you'll be an excellent role model for your son. I'm not too fond of guys who ogle babes at Hooters anyway. :)

Posted by: Sparkle Pants at September 17, 2007 2:01 PM

Congratufrickenlations! A boy!

Posted by: Leah at September 17, 2007 2:05 PM

Hey, I guessed right! I'm sure you'll be just as good of a boy dad as you are a girl dad. And Mia singing to the baby sounds so sweet.

Posted by: bad penguin at September 17, 2007 2:33 PM

Wow, dropped the ball on that one didn't I? lol Congrats on the boy to be, as for names I reccomend Marshall or perhaps Dylan, maybe Christian? I could go on all day. lol

Posted by: Kris at September 17, 2007 3:10 PM

Congratulations, Cactus-Fish family!

How exciting!

As for names, I have Nicholas Dante reserved for my far-in-the-future son. I also like Kahler (which might work better for a girl), Donovan, and Brady. Besides these, I'm always drawn to anything Italian. You're a baseball fan so I know you'll appreciate my liking Ripken as a middle name to go with Kahler.

I know you and Beth will come up with something terrific!

Posted by: Dianna at September 17, 2007 3:22 PM

Sherwood vonBananahammock

...or Ben

(Congratulations! You'll figure out the boy thing. He'll just be a combination of the best qualities of you and Beth, like Mia but with a different spiggot!)

Posted by: Procrastamom at September 17, 2007 3:36 PM

Awe! Congratulations! Little boys are so wonderful. I too was kind of freaked out at first when our son came along, but all of that knowledge of what to do comes into play once they are born. We had a boys name picked out this last time around but weren't able to use it so I'll pass it onto you - Auden.

Little Mia is gonna be a great big sister :)

Posted by: Mary at September 17, 2007 4:04 PM

You'll be fine. Boys are awesome.

Posted by: whit at September 17, 2007 4:26 PM

The ability to blend in at Hooters is hiiiighly overrated, if you ask me. If you need someone to throw a football with your son, send him up to me. I watch football while the BF irons on weekends.

Gender rolls are so silly.

Posted by: Hope at September 17, 2007 5:13 PM

Congrats!!!

Posted by: sandra at September 17, 2007 5:34 PM

Congratulations!! Mia sounds very excited!!

I like Mikkel or Anders (Danish) I am also fond of Michaelangelo or Enzo.

Again, Congratulations!!!

Posted by: Jennifer at September 17, 2007 6:01 PM

So, a boy it is. I kinda knew it. I totally stalk you guys for girl info, but the boy thing, well I've got that shit nailed. I can walk you through it. The jist is: The start wacking it a birth. They keep wacking it. They do pee in your eyes. They eat crayons and dirt. And lots of them like pink. That's about it.

Congrats. I am really happy for you guys.

Posted by: Mr Lady at September 17, 2007 6:02 PM

Wally Bean? Seriously, without knowing your last name, I can't even make suggestions. Are there family members (living or deceased) whom you would like to honor by naming the baby their name or something similar? I forget the story of how you came up with the name Amelia ... was there a particular reason you chose it, aside from it being lovely and that it made "Mia" a reasonable option?

Posted by: shelley at September 17, 2007 6:05 PM

How about Cornelius? Or Bricke? We had a boy named Bricke come through kindergarten registration last year. Last name was Skillicorn. Poor, poor child.

Basically, make sure it flows with your last name and most importantly, that it does not rhyme with body parts or functions. You might also pay attention to his initials (both including the middle initial, and just the first and last name) and try to think of all the nicknames that could be associated with his given name.

I don't have any names I am particular towards... rather, I have a list of names I will NEVER EVER name a boy (and a list for girls) due to the fact that I have had awful students with those names (all behavior problems)... Stephen, Tyler, Dennis, Eric...

Oh, and if you decide to make him Christopher ____ the II (second), remember that you will have to answer the phone (or Mia or Beth will) and you'll have to figure out WHICH 'Chris' the caller is looking for. It really sucks once all his friends' voices change and could potentially be looking to speak to either of you. Trust me -- I speak from experience -- my dad and brother share the same name and it was insane!

OK, enough from me! CONGRATS!!!

Posted by: ironic1 at September 17, 2007 6:33 PM

You can just raise a near gay boy like we are. It's awesome.

Posted by: aimee/greeblemonkey at September 17, 2007 6:37 PM

And would you believe I still have our boy babyname list on my computer?

Carter
Hayden
Gray
Rowan (ended up being our choice for a girl name actually)
Connor
Cameron
Miles
Tate
Parker
and of course... Declan!

Posted by: aimee/greeblemonkey at September 17, 2007 6:46 PM

A boy! Congratulations!

As for names, how about...umm...Aloicious? Ptarmigan? Halliburton? You could call him Hal for short. Or Burt. Or Al. So versatile!

It's probably a good thing I am not in charge of naming anyone.

Posted by: Librarian Girl at September 17, 2007 7:38 PM

Congratulations Chris! I thought you might have another girl, but it's cool you're having a boy too.

I read some article in the New Yorker a long time ago about how in earlier times, a king always hoped for a boy and a girl. The girl was to expand the kingdom and the boy to keep holding on to what was already established. Obviously a huge patriarchy thing, but I still think it's cute when thought of in today's terms.

As for names, what suggest is to go to the Social Security baby names site (http://www.ssa.gov/OACT/babynames/), and pick out a name you like best from the top 40-150 names. If you give them a name like John or Joe or Michael, then every other guy will have their name and it won't be as unique, which I think you and Beth are.

Posted by: sepra at September 17, 2007 9:21 PM

How exciting! You're going to do just fine with a boy - you were one after all, and from what I hear, kids ease you into Hooters and football passes.

I've always been partial to the name Adam. It just sounds solid - no pretension to it.

Congratulations again to you both.

Posted by: Melissa at September 17, 2007 9:25 PM

Congratulations and don't be scared, boys are all sorts of fun! And how lucky that little boy is, to be born into such a wonderful, loving family.

Posted by: Nicole at September 17, 2007 9:40 PM

Congratulations!

What about Dash Riprock! ;)

Posted by: Anna at September 17, 2007 9:56 PM

well, congrats! that's exciting.

Posted by: tiffanie at September 17, 2007 9:59 PM

Boys are so much fun!!! Chris... you are going to LOVE IT. Seriously. Do a jig...

For a name, I love Cuyler.

Posted by: nat at September 17, 2007 10:32 PM

Awwwww How adorable... Mia singing to the baby that is!!! Congrats Chris... and dont worry you'll be just as awesome to baby #2 as you are to Mia.

Posted by: Tammy at September 17, 2007 10:34 PM

well.. my little grandson's name is Draven and I think that is very unique and awesome :) Wanna use it too?? :)

you pronounce that like the bird raven

Posted by: Soniclibra at September 17, 2007 11:43 PM

How about David or Nathaniel or Chirag(that's an Indian name)? Oh and Congratulations!!! I was so sure it'd be a girl...well now you will have one of each :)

Posted by: Dee at September 18, 2007 12:07 AM

The singing to the belly thing? Cutest EVER!

For boy name suggestions: try different versions of family names. Example: My husband and I like the name Cole because it's derived from Nicholas which is his father's name.

Posted by: Carrie Jo at September 18, 2007 12:22 AM

Congratulations! As mother to two little specimens of the male gender, I can tell you you are in for fun. And don't worry about the traditional male stuff - not every guy is actually into that stuff. You're not, after all, and neither is my husband. If they want to get into sports and what have you, believe me they will absorb it anyway. In the meantime you get to create your own little clone that's into cool stuff and I can confirm that guitars are considered very cool. We also have a full size drumkit in our house which makes us MEGA-COOL! (Don't tell Beth I told you that!)

Posted by: Loth at September 18, 2007 7:25 AM

Posted by: Loth at September 18, 2007 7:26 AM

Congratulations!!! This is perfect now you will have a little prince to go with your little princess...and there will be no fighting for attention or the killer sequined top. ;-)

Posted by: Krush at September 18, 2007 11:34 AM

Congratulations on the boy:)

You are allowed to steal my boys name Theodor. Other than that I only have Norwegian names, and I don`t think you will use any of those suggestions:)

When will the boy arrive?

Posted by: Anette at September 18, 2007 1:32 PM

Congratulations on the boy:)

When will the boy arrive?

Posted by: Anette at September 18, 2007 1:32 PM

Cool! Boys kick ass, figuratively and literally. Not that girls don't (Sydney Bristow, Ripley, Rose McGowan in "Grindhouse" come to mind).

Posted by: Jason at September 18, 2007 1:40 PM

Congrats on the boy.

Posted by: William at September 18, 2007 3:20 PM

A boy! Little boys are awesome! My brothers are 10 and 11 years younger than me. I was so upset when I found out their sexes. I wanted a little sister in the worst way. But it didn't take long for me to change my mind. Congratulations Cactus family!

Posted by: Tink at September 18, 2007 3:33 PM

I love names. Boys names are easier for me. Mia is Amelia Morgan right? Do you want a boy name that you can come up with a nickname or not? Popular or more classic names? Lemme know and I'll send you some ideas.

Posted by: Phoenix at September 18, 2007 5:31 PM

Craziness! But I'm sure you shall handle the new wee one with as much aplomb as you did with Mia. No worries! :)

Posted by: Zandria at September 18, 2007 6:10 PM

I am so happy for you! Congratulations!!! I am still away but will be home soon.

Posted by: Maribeth at September 18, 2007 10:14 PM

I.LOVE.BOYS. They are so fun. But then again, I have 2 boys and no girls. Congrats on having one of each! You guys will have a ball. Names...what about Marco (banana)?
Miabean
Marcobanana?

Marco is an awesome name...

Posted by: michele at September 18, 2007 10:59 PM

Oh, congratulations! That's awesome.

(And to think I popped over to see what you had to say about OJ. This is so much better. Wait... OJ! Great boy's name!

just kidding)

Posted by: the weirdgirl at September 19, 2007 1:45 PM

anything but Andrew Chris... ANYTHING :)

Posted by: stinkerbell at September 19, 2007 3:34 PM

Congrats! Oh, you'll have such fun with a boy...can't wait to read all about it! :)

Posted by: Marilyn at September 19, 2007 10:05 PM

Hi Chris; I read your comments at Almost Lucid. I B's Mom. Want to pass on a comment he made one day as we watched his toddler son playing and smiling. "We would have been so glad to have another healthy girl, but I have to tell you I love having this little guy!" I told him that was what I felt about having him. It's such an adventure..good luck to you both. I would have put this in an e-mail but I don't have your address.

Posted by: Kay at September 21, 2007 1:08 AM

it's far too late for me to be saying this, but congratulations are still definitely in order. I shall be buying him a tiny Seahawks helmet.

Posted by: croutonboy at September 21, 2007 10:56 AM

Have you thought about naming him George after your Grandpa?

Posted by: amaya at September 21, 2007 1:05 PM

Congrats Y'all!!!!

A suggestion for a boy's name.....Garrett

Posted by: penguintarts at September 22, 2007 12:28 AM