September 7, 2007

The Weeklies #1

The Weekly Reads. There are few authors I stalk, like, run out and buy their latest as soon as it hits the shelves. Charlie Huston is one of them. His five previous novels have been insanely good. So, when The Shotgun Rule came out, I sprinted to the bookstore, picked up a copy and plunked down $20.00. The verdict? Meh. It's good but not great. He's better than this book would lead you to believe. Better is Strange Skies by Matt Marinovich, another book I polished off this week. It starts like your typical Nick Hornby-like novel but finishes like nothing else I've ever read. It's fantastic.

The Weekly Music
. I'm still grooving on Velvet Revolver's Libertad. It's not magically brilliant or anything but it's strong, and damn catchy. The ultimate find, though, has to be Compass Rose Bouquet, the latest by The Great Lakes Myth Society. Imagine The Decembrists with fewer sea shanties and a little more roots rock. These guys are phenomenal. Like punch yourself in the face because you so regret not discovering them sooner good.

The Weekly Worst Moment. When I realized on Thursday morning that, beginning at 8:30 and continuing until 4:30 I had exactly one half hour in which I was not in a meeting.

The Weekly Best Moment. When Mia said, un-coached and apropos of nothing, "I love you" to me.

The Weekly Schadenfreude. Apple released the brand-spankin' new iPod Touch - pretty much just like the iPhone only without the whole phone thing. Kewl. Only the largest model? 16 GB. Not worth dropping the $400. In another bonehead move, Apple dropped the cost of iPhones by $100 thus alienating those who jumped on the bandwagon early. Several hours later? News of $100 credits to those who already owned the pricey phone. Look - I point and laugh because I secretly envy. I gots to get me a touch-screen iPod even if I can only load 5% of my music collection on the damn thing. At least Steve Jobs had the good common sense to drop the lawsuit against makers of iPod-powered sex toys. Because, you know, we all need those.

The Weekly Picture. Because Mia told me she wanted me to take a picture of her armpit. Hey, sometimes you don't ask questions, you just follow instructions.

DSC_7743%20copy3.jpg

The Weekly Question. Obviously, I'm trying something new this Friday. What do you think?

Posted by Chris at September 7, 2007 6:58 AM
Comments

I'm loving the new format. Especially the Weekly Reads -- because I don't have to stalk authors, I just stalk you. Whatever you tell me is good, I read it.

And who knew armpits could be so adorable? Your daughter is just too much...

Posted by: debra at September 7, 2007 7:36 AM

I like the weekly feature... just make sure you try to add just one "I was in the bathroom..." ;-)

Posted by: Michelle at September 7, 2007 7:54 AM

What do I think? I. LOVE. IT. Kudos!!!

Posted by: Li'l Foot's Mommy at September 7, 2007 7:55 AM

what do I think? I. LOVE. IT. Kudos!!!

Posted by: li'l foot's mommy at September 7, 2007 7:58 AM

oooh, I like! The weekly reads will be a big hit for me...you always recommend something interesting.

I have a similar photo of my youngest. Actually, there's a whole series. "how about a picture of my knee, Mom? My elbow? My hand? My cup?"

Posted by: Alissa at September 7, 2007 7:58 AM

I am liking the Friday "weekly" series... for a change of pace-

Have a great w/end!!

Posted by: Stephanie at September 7, 2007 8:09 AM

Absolutely love it. Always into book recommendations and yours tend to be good. :-)

And yes a weekly "bathroom"story would be good too.

nice weekend!

Mikkie

Posted by: mikkie at September 7, 2007 8:26 AM

I can see ...she has your armpits.

Posted by: William at September 7, 2007 8:28 AM

I'm thinkin' you should post a picture of your own arm pit... again, don't ask questions.

Posted by: Amber at September 7, 2007 8:38 AM

I was hoping that iPhone buyers would make this week's schadenfreude. I'm torn because my heart says that Apple basically gave the finger to people that bought the phone when it was released at full price but my head says yeah, Apple did what it had to do because nobody else was buying the thing at the original price. The force of the market, you know?

As cool as the gadget is, it's too much money for not enough memory. A new iPod would have to be at least 30 gigs to replace my current (20 gig, 2 year old) iPod.

Great editorial in the Post this morning about the whole thing:

"This time, though, he [Steve Jobs] has failed to live up to one clause in his implied contract with iPhone buyers. The sky-high price was supposed to guarantee a decent period of exclusivity. For a time, if you bought an iPhone, you were supposed to be the envy of your friends. The ability to show off all the neat things it could do was your compensation for the fact that the iPhone didn't really change your life."

I like the new format. I'll have to check out the new music picks.

Posted by: Drew at September 7, 2007 8:44 AM

Weekly Verdict: love it!

Posted by: Fraulein N at September 7, 2007 8:55 AM

When "Schadenfreude Friday" wasn't in my feed reader, I was both confused and excited. I love the weeklies! This was fantastic!!

I wonder what makes a toddler think that it is essentially to photograph her armpit... Chris, she has the sweetest face...

Posted by: Emily at September 7, 2007 9:01 AM

I like this very much! Like a weekly recap in a way. Keep it up!

Posted by: BID at September 7, 2007 9:16 AM

Love it! Wish I had thought of it! Me = dying for content lately. :-( Nice work!

Posted by: Pocklock at September 7, 2007 10:11 AM

There's something slightly creepy about that photo. Maybe she has a future as an actress in film noir.

As for the meetings, the always appropriate 'de-motivator' poster from despair.com sums it up best:

Meetings: "None of us is as dumb as all of us"

Posted by: You can call me, 'Sir' at September 7, 2007 10:12 AM

Even in a picture of her armpit I can't help noticing how beautiful she is :)

Posted by: Amy at September 7, 2007 10:39 AM

I like the new format. Mia looks just like Beth, Amazing. I bet the new baby will look like you.
:-)

Posted by: Katherine at September 7, 2007 10:40 AM

:-)

Posted by: Katherine at September 7, 2007 10:40 AM

I love the new Friday thing! :) I have to confess to only skimming, and sometimes skipping, the Schadenfreude because I don't really care. lol. However, the weekly reads will probably kill my bank account, because I tend to buy some books based on your recommendations. *g* :) I don't think I've READ any of them yet, but I buy them! ;)

Posted by: Manda at September 7, 2007 10:50 AM

Yes the new format works.
Besides the picture being adorable, my favorite of the week was her telling you "I love you" un-prompted. As a mom I can tell you when that happens for the first time you may actually do a double-take, thinking you didn't hear them correctly. Then? Then it sinks in and the warm tingle starts at the toes and moves up from there. Nothing better in the world. Lucky you!

Posted by: sue at September 7, 2007 10:58 AM

MUCH prefer the weeklies... used to skim or skip all together the friday posts before today.

Posted by: colleen at September 7, 2007 11:04 AM

I was looking for something new to read -- so I'll check out Strange Skies by Matt Marinovich. It better not suck. :)

And Mia has the perfect "Disney Princess Mouth". Such a pretty little girl. And hearing "I Love You" -- out of the blue -- there's nothing better!

Posted by: Mala at September 7, 2007 11:06 AM

I like the format. It includes the schadenfreude but also has some feel good. And don't we all need to feel good? I concur with the weekly bathroom story though.

Posted by: hannita at September 7, 2007 11:06 AM

She is one beautiful little girl. Look at those awesome eyes!!

Posted by: Maribeth at September 7, 2007 11:21 AM

This rocks!

Posted by: erin at September 7, 2007 11:28 AM

Doing what your children tell you to do, without questioning, is the most important lesson in life (until they are old enough to start telling you to hand them the car keys and such, then you have to be more discerning, which in itself is important, though distancing).

Cheers from Phil the Dadditude Guy

Posted by: Phil at September 7, 2007 11:37 AM

I like the weeklies post. Hope you keep it up in future weeks.

Posted by: Ross at September 7, 2007 11:43 AM

I like the new "format" and the armpit. Gawd, she is adorable!

Posted by: Christina at September 7, 2007 11:54 AM

I would like this as a regular new feature.

Sometimes an armpit just needs to be photographed ... and perhaps tickled. ;-)

The 8GB iPhone cost dropped $200 and the cheap bastards are only giving us $100 in credit. Did I mention that I have an iPhone? :-)

Have a great weekend.

Posted by: Maria at September 7, 2007 12:06 PM

I love the new Friday Schadenfreude mixed with all of the other fun stuff! Love the armpit too! And the I love you must have melted your heart. I can't wait for that day!

Posted by: lesley at September 7, 2007 12:32 PM

Love the new Friday feature! And the armpit pic. Adorable. Mia is really beautiful.

Schadenfreude was particularly delicious for me this week! I have a hard time feeling sorry for anyone who shelled out $600 for a phone. Suckers!! I know the phones are sweet and I totally want one, but my first car didn't cost that much! Steve Jobs is an evil, evil genius. How I love that man.

Posted by: Trix at September 7, 2007 12:33 PM

I love this. I just may have to "make it my own." (This means I will make up different categories but still essentially be stealing from you but can rationalize it by changing it just enough. I should be in politics with logic like this, no?)

Really. I love it.

Posted by: Librarian Girl at September 7, 2007 1:01 PM

I like it. Mia's as adorable as ever!

Posted by: Laura at September 7, 2007 1:20 PM

I DIG it! I have been tossing around the idea of a 'this week in review' thing, too. Keep it going!

Posted by: mr lady at September 7, 2007 2:25 PM

Well.... it is a lovely shot of an armpit. So funny that she wanted you to do that.

Posted by: Colleen at September 7, 2007 2:51 PM

Like the new Friday deal. How'd you manage to take a picture of that little armpit without tickling it?

Posted by: jaycie at September 7, 2007 3:00 PM

I like it! Nice and streamlined, like an RSS feed for all the RC goodness. And it is good for you to practice streamlining in light of anticipated doubling of CactusFish children!

Posted by: Vaguely Urban at September 7, 2007 4:16 PM

Even her armpit is cute.

I personaly liked the Schadenfreude Friday, but the Weeklies is good, too.

Posted by: Janet at September 7, 2007 4:25 PM

This format works for you... and I like it, too.

Oh, and I think that instead of "working" while you're at work, you're READING. That HAS to be how the hell you get those books read!!!! Either that, or you spend hella-amounts of time in the bathroom, sitting, passing the time.

Posted by: ironic1 at September 7, 2007 5:55 PM

I used to work with Matt Marinovich, back in the dotcom days. He was a copyeditor at our company. I'm glad to see he's still writing and got his book published.

For my quick research, it appears that the arm cancer part of the book is autobiographical. And there is already work on a screenplay for it.

oh..I like the new Friday format.

Posted by: jason at September 7, 2007 8:28 PM

And what a beautiful armpit she has ;)

I like this Friday post!

Posted by: Peggy at September 7, 2007 8:32 PM

Definitely dig the weeklies. :)

Posted by: Allison at September 7, 2007 8:50 PM

Diggin' the new Friday format! I am always up for a change of pace.

Posted by: Banana Business at September 8, 2007 12:36 AM

I really like the new format! I need to check out the new iPod. Someone had told me they came out with a 160gb. I was so excited about that.

The "I Love You"...Can I just say awwwwwwwwwwwww?
I love the "I Love You's"...even when they are all grown up. :)

Posted by: Holly Selden at September 9, 2007 12:32 AM

I devoured Strange Skies on Sunday morning. It was truly an excellent read. Thanks so much for the recommendation! :)

Posted by: Mala at September 10, 2007 10:55 AM

Mia rocks.

And by the way, they dropped it TWOOOO hundred dollars. It's the 8 gig that's available now for $399, which I shelled out $599 for only 2 months ago.

Now the big question is, should Bryan get a Motorla Q or an iPhone?

Posted by: aimee/greeblemonkey at September 10, 2007 4:44 PM

Kids are so funny sometimes, it hurts.
I don't know if I would have been able to keep a straight face when asked to take a picture of someone's armpit.

Posted by: Cassandra at September 10, 2007 5:54 PM

Love the new format! :)

PS - should I get an Iphone? decisions, decisions..
Now that the price has been cut, it's more something I'd actually consider if I can find a good deal.

I've got Verizon right now, but my contract is up.

Posted by: at September 12, 2007 2:47 PM