September 14, 2007

The Weeklies #2

The Weekly Reads. Since last we spoke of books, I've managed to polish off two. The first was David Rosen's I Just Want My Pants Back, a decently-written, amusing and witty take of a guy who, well, just wants his pants back. Despite the fact that the book plays to the typical 20-something pot-smoking yet bright slacker stereotype, it's moderately original and is, overall, worth a read. Next up? The Keep by Jennifer Egan. The Keep was an odd book and I'm not entirely sure what to make of it. It tells three separate tales, all of which are intertwined and compelling. Honestly, it's a bit of a mindfuck. And I like a good mindfuck which is why I totally fell for this book. Odd, unusual, unpredictable but highly involving and worth reading through its 250 pages.

The Weekly Music. For some strange reason, almost everything I've been listening to this week has been live. It started off with receipt of a soundboard recording for the first show of Peter Gabriel's latest tour (you can get CDs of any or all of the shows from The Music). A favorite of mine since the early 80's, Gabriel unleashed a wonderful and bizarre set list for this tour comprised of material throughout his career. The setlists contain songs he hasn't performed in decades including brilliant tracks from his first four solo albums (all named, helpfully, Peter Gabriel). Also from the same source is the tour kick off for the reunited Genesis. It's pretty darn good as well. Pearl Jam recently released Live At The Gorge, a seven disc, nearly eight-hour collection of three shows performed at the famous venue in 2005 and 2006. Why should you own it? Because it's insanely cool. The band has never sounded better and their selection of material (100 tracks overall) is beyond cool. If you love Pearl Jam? Buy it. If your faith in the band was shaken in recent years, this will bring you back to the light.

The Weekly Worst Moment. When I made the proclamation on Monday morning that "I'm sure glad I don't have any quick turn-around work to handle" and was promptly rewarded with two very high-visibility projects which required immediate completion. Yay.

The Weekly Best Moment. Beth and I, for some reason, found ourselves licking our daughter after dinner one night this week. She broke down in a fit of laughter that made my heart come closer to exploding than it ever had before.

The Weekly Schadenfreude. There's no way it's not Britney this week. And MTV. See, I'm pretty convinced that, while Britney is a complete and utter trainwreck, MTV used her trainwrecktitude to pull in some massive ratings. Sure, she sucked but when did anyone start expecting the VMAs to be good? I'd be remiss if I didn't mention the President's suck-ass speech. How sad is it that I'd rather have seen Britney in the Oval Office and Dubya shaking his ass on the VMAs?

The Weekly Picture. This is all I got. Good morning. It's been a long, tiring week. But it's Friday!

Posted by Chris at September 14, 2007 6:27 AM
Comments

Reads: I'm going to add the Rosen to my list. I have been in the mood for a funny/amusing read, but my search was unsuccessful.
Worst: Dude! Try not to say things like that out loud. If you do, you always jinx yourself. Or does that only happen to me? :-)
Best: She tasted like chocolate, right? She looks like she would be sweet!
Schadenfreude: Counting the days until 1-20-2009

TGIF and have a wonderful weekend. I hope to be playing with my new camera all weekend.

Posted by: Maria at September 14, 2007 7:04 AM

I have one simple comment this Friday-

TGIF

Will you be updating the post to let us know some bit of baby info today?? Pretty please??

Posted by: Stephanie at September 14, 2007 8:25 AM

How much do I love the weekly updates?
yeah. THAT much.

Posted by: s@bd at September 14, 2007 8:37 AM

YAYYYYY FRIDAY!

Posted by: Dawn at September 14, 2007 9:00 AM

You should be a consultant in the world of "Child Glee". You could go to people's houses and watch them try and fail to make their rugrat laugh until finally, standing behind them with a cup of coffee, you quietly say, "Lick her/him."

Posted by: You can call me, 'Sir' at September 14, 2007 9:36 AM

my kids love a good licking too :) ha!

Posted by: ali at September 14, 2007 10:10 AM

Now I must go get the Live at the Gorge set. I've been holding off because of the price, but I suppose I need to just go get it already!

Posted by: dee at September 14, 2007 10:41 AM

I have nothing especially inspiring today except to invite all of you to have a great weekend!!

Britney in the White House couldn't possibly be any worse. The Shrub comes on, I turn off the t.v. I can always read what he said later and I can't stand watching that smirk.

Posted by: ann adams at September 14, 2007 10:45 AM

I wish I liked mindfuck fiction, but I don't. I am totally, hideously uncool. I once belonged to a really great book club that read Martin Amis' "Time's Arrow." Everyone else thought it was brilliant. I was all, "Um, but what about the part where he goes to the bathroom backwards? That was gross, right?"

And I agree with you. It has been a long, tiring, and (in my case) total bitch of a week. Six more hours to get through...

Posted by: Alias Mother at September 14, 2007 11:04 AM

Yes, yes, that's all very good but what are you and Beth having? I mean, aside from some sort of human-type baby-thing. We already know that. What gender is Baby #2?

Posted by: Fraulein N at September 14, 2007 11:37 AM

That'll teach ya to be careful what you say on Monday morning...

Love licking kids. They're so yummy. ;)

Have a good weekend~

Posted by: sue at September 14, 2007 11:49 AM

That's really cute, actually.

Have a great weekend! :)

Posted by: sunchaser at September 14, 2007 12:17 PM

you are leaving us all in suspense. Did you find out or was this baby like mine was and extremely modest. We had 4 ultrasounds and her legs were crossed tightly everytime.

Posted by: Punk Rock Mom at September 14, 2007 12:24 PM

Yes...please tell us the sex. I'm dying over here.

Posted by: Isabel at September 14, 2007 12:57 PM

The Licking Of The Child is what is called a "momma kitty." ('Cause momma kitties lick their kittens.) So when you desire to lick your child, yell, "MOMMA KITTY!" and then chase them down. It's a riotous good time for all.

Posted by: GreenCanary at September 14, 2007 2:30 PM

I know I don't get to comment as much as I used to but I wanted to say good luck today!! :) Can't wait to hear!

Posted by: Sabrina at September 14, 2007 4:15 PM

the waiting is the hardest part....

Posted by: linda at September 14, 2007 6:36 PM

You tease! I tuned in for the boy or girl news, and I got the weekly report. Which was fine. But...?

Posted by: Sphincter at September 14, 2007 8:46 PM

That's so cute with the licking. Nothing like a saliva-crusted child. Hahaha. I'll be sure to try that out if/when we have our own.

Posted by: Lisa at September 16, 2007 12:11 AM

Was she covered in frosting? :D

Posted by: Tink at September 16, 2007 11:09 PM