September 21, 2007

The Weeklies #3

The Weekly Reads. When I started showing an interest in reading novels, my dad handed me two stacks of books - one consisting of books by Isaac Asimov, the other by Clive Cussler. I fell in love with both. In fact, at one point, I even wrote Cussler a letter. He responded with a very kind hand-written letter of his own. This week, I picked up one of the newer Cussler novels, the works of old Clive having been absent from my reading life for more than a decade. Golden Buddha, in short, sucked. It was drivel, utterly mindless and devoid of appreciable talent. I do have to say, though, that the inner 14 year old in me was kinda entertained. But really, it sucked. For swashbuckling adventure, instead of latter-day Cussler, I'd recommend Ted Bell's Alex Hawke series or Robert Girardi's criminally overlooked Pirate's Daughter. I'll still give Cussler the benefit of the doubt since he wrote me that note. But I'll only spot him so much.

The Weekly Music. Once upon a time there was a band no one ever heard of named Indio. They recorded an album called Big Harvest in 1989. I bought it an instantly fell in love with the song Hard Sun. I played it over and over because it was, and still is, insanely great. Eddie Vedder just released the Into The Wild soundtrack album. I downloaded it earlier this week. And on it, I found a cover of Hard Sun. If possible, his version kicks more ass than the original. And the original was damn good. Vedder's album is brief, composed of short songs but Hard Sun isn't the only jewel. This week also finds me spinning Jeremy Enigk tracks. The former singer of Sunny Day Real Estate and The Fire Theft has a strange yet genuine voice that I truly love. His recent effort World Waits is an emotional, beautiful album. His follow-up, The Missing Link is fantastic as well. In the weird voice category, I've also been listening to Robyn Hitchcock a lot this week. He's strange (I mean, really strange) and whimsical but I do love the man's music. For the more accessible side, check out Ole! Tarantula recorded with his side-project, The Venus 3 (a band featuring Peter Buck of REM fame).

The Weekly Worst Moment. Does it get worse than my terrible bathroom luck? I thought not.

The Weekly Best Moment. Seeing my son.

The Weekly Schadenfreude. O.J. is almost too obvious at this point. but sometimes I'm all about the obvious. Then there's The View chick who didn't know if the world was round or flat (thanks for the tip, Ross). Not to mention the stupid couple who wants to sue because they wanted one kid, not two, the dude who's suing god, and the blind guy who died driving (thanks Corinne). It was a busy week at the old schadenfreude farm.

The Weekly Picture. I think it's easy to see why this is my favorite of the week.

Posted by Chris at September 21, 2007 7:17 AM
Comments

Hey, I'm first - I think!! That's what happens when I wake up at 4 in the morning.

I jumped over and took a look at your son and his wardrobe. Too cute.

Have a great weekend, you almost 4.

Posted by: ann adams at September 21, 2007 8:03 AM

That host from The View should get in boat and sail west. Either she'll learn what everyone else already knows or she'll fall off the edge. Either way the show'll be better off. If she comes back, they can put her in a rocket to figure out whether the sun revolves around the earth.

Posted by: Darren at September 21, 2007 8:10 AM

I read "seeing my son" and I admit my sleep fogged brain didn't quite get it at first ;-) But that's definitely a high point, congrats again.

Ann - usually I'm much later in the comments too, but insomnia led me to be first here yesterday!

Chris, yup, back to you since it's your blog and all - I don't even begin to comprehend your bad bathroom luck. You have like some huge weirdo-attracting device inserted in your skull, I think. You might wanna get that looked at :P

Posted by: Heather at September 21, 2007 8:12 AM

"Seeing my son."

That sounds so cool!!

Posted by: Emily at September 21, 2007 8:54 AM

wow. who would have thought to sue god? can I now sue my parents for giving birth to me against my will?

that picture of mia is adorable :)

Posted by: betty at September 21, 2007 8:55 AM

It's really too bad about Clive. I read 'Polar Shift' in the summer and, yeah, my inner 14-yr-old boy enjoyed it immensely.

Posted by: s@bd at September 21, 2007 9:05 AM

The Schadenfreude runneth over this week. I would like to add one to your list. A New Hampshire judged ordered the mumfied baby the Peavey Family has been passing down for 90 years buried.

That photo of Mia is adorable.

Posted by: Maria at September 21, 2007 9:07 AM

The View: See this is why we should be licensed to reproduce... A license to drive, a document to go to and from this country to others (on this round, no wait flat, no wait... Outer space, what?!), a license to bear arms but NONE to prove that people should be allowed to reproduce... Ah, stepping off my soap box!

Love the suing God article, now that is funny!

Yeah for baby boys and cute daughters! Happy Friday/weekend!

Posted by: Christina at September 21, 2007 9:28 AM

I'm not 100% sure but I don't think Clive is writing those books on his own anymore. I'm almost certain he's got some help going on there. And it's not helping.

Posted by: Candy at September 21, 2007 9:42 AM

"The Weekly Best Moment. Seeing my son."
It doesn't get any sweeter or better than that! Does it feel weird saying your son since you are so used to saying your daughter.

LOVE the photo! Diggin the fohawk!

Posted by: lesley at September 21, 2007 10:07 AM

The vast majority of lawsuits are insanely frivolous, so for the judge to apply that label this one in particular carries no weight. I think it was an outstanding attempt to illustrate the abyss into which the justice system has plunged.

Speaking of abysses (abyssi?), how about Kid Nation? I want to ask CBS executives if any of them have ever seen the movie or *gasp* read the book 'Lord of the Flies'.

Dear CBS,
Spoiler alert: The fat kid dies. Everything ends in tears. The British navy's involved. What do you have against fat kids, anyway?

Posted by: You can call me, 'Sir' at September 21, 2007 10:09 AM

Love the photos! And I only just heard about the couple with the twins this morning. It seems that in addition to the costs they're seeking for pain and suffering, they feel justified asking for reimbursement for their kid to go to a private school. I agree that every child should be guaranteed an education, but I think it laughable to think that every child should be guaranteed an education at a private school!

I haven't read any Cussler - can you recommend a novel in particular worth checking out, or maybe draw a line in the sand and recommend anything before 19XX as worth checking out?

Posted by: Ross at September 21, 2007 10:17 AM

that pic reminds me of "all the whos down in whoville..." or farris bueller. or every bath of my childhood. classic! thanks for the memories.

Posted by: malia at September 21, 2007 10:47 AM

I've been on the fence about picking up World Waits, but I'll finally bite the bullet and "buy" it. May I also recommend the new Josh Ritter and the not at all new but recently discovered (to me) Mink Deville?

Posted by: croutonboy at September 21, 2007 11:00 AM

I have to get my brain wrapped around all the schadenfreude today... I'm flabbergasted.

I love that picture. That will be a great blackmail picture when she's dating. ;)

Posted by: sue at September 21, 2007 11:00 AM

all in all, not a bad week

Posted by: kalisah at September 21, 2007 11:04 AM

so much schadenfreude to go around this week...

love the pictures...of your son and your daughter ;)

Posted by: ali at September 21, 2007 11:17 AM

Boy, that Mia is SUCH a cutie.

Posted by: Alison at September 21, 2007 11:51 AM

I think that is my favorite picture of the year!

Posted by: tuesday at September 21, 2007 11:54 AM

Oh Clive! How I love him! Okay, truly...I'm in love with Dirk Pitt! And if I can't have Dirk, I want Al with his Italian good looks!

Once Cussler "retired" Dirk and Al, I kind of lost interest but once he brought them back I started reading again, but it's just not the same. I get the newest Clive Cussler novel every year for Christmas and they just haven't been the same for about 4 or 5 years. I am still a diehard fan though.

Posted by: zanie at September 21, 2007 12:19 PM

what a fucking dumbass. is the world flat?

Posted by: you da mom at September 21, 2007 12:34 PM

Mia looks like Ed Grimley in that picture. Remember Martin Short on Saturday Night Live?
I dare anyone to look at that picture and not smile!!

Posted by: snakeepoo at September 21, 2007 12:54 PM

Great picture. I didn't realize you had all your teeth.

Posted by: Lefty at September 21, 2007 1:40 PM

I like this new "best of" format you're doing. And Hard Sun has been in my head all week - I really like it too.

Posted by: Amaya at September 21, 2007 1:48 PM

and here I was thinking my then-roomate and I were the only ones to know (and love) Indio

am off to buy the Eddie Vedder disc at lunch on your recommendation

Posted by: Kathryn at September 21, 2007 3:03 PM

Love the picture of Mia...and of your son. DOesn't that seem neat to say? Your son. :)

Posted by: Phoenix at September 21, 2007 3:15 PM

My god she's adorable.

Posted by: sandra at September 21, 2007 3:31 PM

I love the new Vedder release... But yeah Hard Sun kicks ass. Fucking amazing. Then again. I love him and I love Pearl Jam...

mmmmmmmmmm

Posted by: Nat at September 21, 2007 5:46 PM

Out here in San Diego there is an annual production of The Grinch Who Stole Christmas at the Old Globe Theater. I think you have produced the next Cindy Lou Who. Priceless.

Posted by: Annie, The Evil Queen at September 21, 2007 11:48 PM

Interesting week! Great photo of your daughter! Love the mohawk. And wow, you guys are having a son! Congrats! Isn't it so cool to see those sonograms.

Sorry I haven't been by in like, a million years.

(I'm working on a new blog for me and only me,but for now I have a mommy blog.)

Posted by: Dawn - driving with dawn at September 22, 2007 12:34 PM

I love the pic of Mia's hair! Congrats on your little boy!!

Posted by: Sabrina at September 22, 2007 2:39 PM

too cool/cute! that photo is worthy of a greeting card!

Posted by: Dolly at September 23, 2007 4:08 PM

I haven't been here for a while, and SHE IS SO CUTE!!!!!!!! That is all I have to say.

Posted by: Tamara at September 27, 2007 11:29 PM