September 29, 2007

Wake Up Call

I live close to a high school. Can you tell me what agent of satan thought that kicking off marching band practice at 8:00 this morning was a good idea? Obviously not someone with a kid. Or common sense. Anyhoo, happy Saturday, Internets.

Posted by Chris at September 29, 2007 8:48 AM
Comments

I live across the street from the local high school. Marching band practice starts in early August and carries on through football season. Thankfully our kid seems to sleep through it (I'm not sure how). The only truly annoying thing about it is when you can't identify the song they're playing even though it's right on the tip of your brain *and* you're pretty sure it was a big hit in the 80's or 90's. Usually as they get better you can identify it, but it's a harrowing few weeks in the beginning having a nebulous yet oddly catchy song knocking around in your head.

Posted by: Jenn at September 29, 2007 9:46 AM

Good morning.

Yep, it's football season. My neighbor's boy is in the middle school marching band and his practice starts around 6 a.m. On a clear day, we can hear what passes for a band from here, not quite a mile away.

I was awakened at 4 by the telephone which rang just long enough for me to grab for it. Of course with Ray still in hospital 50 miles away, I was petrified. 4 a.m. calls are never good news.

I forgot to tell you. If you haven't glanced at the blog, you don't know he had a triple bypass last Saturday/ Yesterday I found out they diagnosed diabetes and on Monday I'll learn how to do insulin and testing. Then he comes home, I hope.

I told you if I wrote a book no one would believe it.

Anyhow, some area code I'd never heard of. Just checked - Pasadena. How odd. I wonder who was awake in Pasadena at 4 a.m. Guess I'll never know. I said a few choice words and went back to sleep. Lucky me, usually when I wake up like that, I'm awake for good and get to leave the first comment over here.

Have a great weekend. Hugs to Beth, Wally, and the Bean.

Posted by: ann adams at September 29, 2007 10:20 AM

I hope you are feeling better today, though.

Posted by: Maribeth at September 29, 2007 10:33 AM

heh. probably not the first trumpet section, either.

Posted by: kalisah at September 29, 2007 11:15 AM

Ah, yes... I remember those days well. (I was the one on the field).

Posted by: sue at September 29, 2007 12:58 PM

Your daughter isn't up by 8? I can only dream of the day when our two wake up after 8.

Posted by: Rex at September 29, 2007 4:18 PM

I would bet that the majority of that band itself would agree with the bad timing. That stinks!

Posted by: Jazzy at September 29, 2007 4:23 PM

I would get used to it. When I was in marching band I couldn't stand saturday morning practice before the game.

Posted by: Colleen at September 29, 2007 4:30 PM

Nasty! I wouldn't want to listen to marching band practice at any time of the day, actually :p Band practices are one of the biggest reasons I didn't pursue becoming a music teacher even though everyone thought it'd be oh so perfect for me.

Posted by: Heather at September 29, 2007 4:51 PM

Marching bands...mornings..babies...they're all relative. In a few months you'll be marching to a whole new beat...and what a great one it is!!

Curious..your post date says the 30th. Am I in some crazy cactus time zone??

P.S. Absolutely LOVE your blog!!!

Posted by: Judy at September 29, 2007 8:13 PM

Curious..your post date says the 30th. Am I in some crazy cactus time zone??

P.S. Absolutely LOVE your blog!!!

Posted by: Judy at September 29, 2007 8:13 PM

Curious..your post date says the 30th. Am I in some crazy cactus time zone?

P.S. Absolutely LOVE your blog!!!

Posted by: Judy at September 29, 2007 8:14 PM

Oops, sorry, it seems like I REALLY love your blog...LOL!! It looked like my comment wasn't posting...at all, let alone three times!!

Posted by: Judy at September 29, 2007 8:24 PM

I've got you beat! At 7am an announcey-sounding man man began blasting over a loudspeaker, and then a woman sang the national anthem off key very loudly right behind my backyard. Woke up my 11 week old baby. Turns out the annual "Rodman Ride for Kids" was kicking off in the parking lot of the usually very quiet warehouse in the commercial lot a quarter mile from my house.

Posted by: bisous at September 29, 2007 9:56 PM

What, they wait until 8am to do this where you live? Around here the marching band morning practices start in mid-August and go through October and all start around 7:15am.

Posted by: BillH at September 29, 2007 10:35 PM

I swear I hear ours some times even earlier.

Posted by: Jenn at September 30, 2007 8:44 AM

I swear I hear ours some times even earlier.

Posted by: Jenn at September 30, 2007 8:44 AM

*sigh*
That brought back memories of a two-week spa trip to Guadalajara where they "forgot" to tell us the marching band practiced in the back alley beginning approximately at o'dark o'clock (it was probably more like 5 a.m. but I'm all into the exaggeration). So much for resting!
*more sighing*
Now I live across the street from a park that always seems to schedule really annoying musical festivities on Sunday evenings. I can just make out the reverberations, mostly not the actual sounds. Fun abounds til wayyyy past my bedtime. Not.

Posted by: ie at October 1, 2007 1:48 PM

Oh man. All I can say is that blows, but you already know that.

Posted by: samantha Jo Campen at October 1, 2007 7:19 PM

Only 8? I remember it starting at 7:15. Sorry man.

Posted by: Kellyology at October 2, 2007 4:26 PM