October 17, 2007

A Hump Day Question (Or Two)

I hate to admit this. I have exactly one semi-coherent thought rattling around in my head and it goes something like this. Coffee, for the love of all that is good and holy in the name of the baby Elvis, coffee get into my belly now!. Because of my one-track mind and the fact that the first two days of this week have been way rough, I've almost literally got nothing. But on the plus side, I seem to have regained hearing so rejoice for I can hear out of the left side of my head and, as an extra added bonus, the right. I was about one day shy trying some of your suggestions. I was going to take pictures so your loss, really.

This brings me to my point, my question actually. A deep, metaphysical question I came up with while reading books to my daughter last night. Is it me or does the character in this book totally look like Donald Trump?

I've got another for you based on yesterday's post - if you could revisit any point in your life, what would it be and why?

Posted by Chris at October 17, 2007 7:01 AM
Comments

lol... I do believe you are right... it does look like Trump! ;)

My answer to your question: My year abroad in Florence, Italy. It was just too much fun, and I met a lot of great people and went many great places. I wish I'd done more and made better use of my time. I was carefree and allowed to be unemployed... The days of little responsibility!

Posted by: Laura at October 17, 2007 7:40 AM

Hmmm, he DOES look a bit like Donald Trump. I think it's the crown ;-)

I'd like to go back to the first year of my marriage. Andy and I were so happy and content and unburdened by the financial (medical bills, layoffs) and other responsibilities that we have now. Not that my life is bad now, or that we're unhappy, but we were just so carefree. I'd like to feel that way again.

Posted by: Alissa at October 17, 2007 8:08 AM

Jill, You're fired.

Posted by: William at October 17, 2007 8:10 AM

It DOES look like Donald Trump.
I bet if you looked into it, you'd find he wrote the book.

And I, too, have a one track mind. So I currently would like to visit any time in which I was asleep.

Posted by: Cassandra at October 17, 2007 8:26 AM

Yes, it definitely looks like Trump. Perhaps, it is the picture he showed his stylist. The combover is exact. It also looks like he is trying to get his hand under her skirt.

I can't think of a single time I would like to revisit. I don't know if that is good or bad.

Posted by: Maria at October 17, 2007 8:29 AM

June 13 1985. I would go back to that day and not go out in my car. I would stay hiding at home until I was sure that life was going to be safe for my daughter. I would hold her tight and kiss her again and again.
I would let that impaired driver hit and kill someone else.

Posted by: Maribeth at October 17, 2007 8:32 AM

My heart aches for Maribeth.

I cannot pinpoint a single moment I'd revisit, but I would go back to my junior high self and tell me to believe in myself more and that all the bullshit was truly not going to mean anything one day.

Posted by: Shelly at October 17, 2007 9:28 AM

I think about this more than I should, but I would revisit my senior year in high school. It rocked. Everything just fell into place that year (home, friends, activities, fun). It's sad that that was 10 years ago.

Posted by: alfredsmom at October 17, 2007 9:31 AM

First, yes, definately (only your drawing has better hair.)

Do-overs? Wow. Too many. I've made so very many mistakes in my life. But then I think if I did them over, or knew what I do now, would it change who I am? I'm not sure I would want that either. Guess I'm just glad I survived and am at the point I am now in my life. It has turned out pretty good, considering.

Posted by: sue at October 17, 2007 9:33 AM

Mini-Trump! It's mostly the hair, I think. And I don't think I'd revisit any particular time in my life, at least not for long...but for a day or two, I'd go back to my horseback riding days where I practically lived at the barn. Just to tide me over until I can afford to own a horse again ;-)

Posted by: Heather at October 17, 2007 9:43 AM

Hmm, mostly he looks like my son... which is say that my son does not look like Donald Trump but he is a little red headed boy with hair that is too long and out of control and often he is falling just like this minus you know the crown (tho let it be noted that he does rule the roost and thinks he is king of our house and tells us so... actually he says he is a princess but I am only telling you this, right?!)

Ah as for times in my life I would revisit, there are three - when I was a kid back before we moved from NY to CA to see if it was really as blissful as I remember it to be because I have been told different by my mom and sibs.

Also, I would revisit the day I took my first drink of alcohol and tell myself that just because your dad is an alcoholic you do not need to pretend you are because you SO are not (and just because your mother keeps telling so it is SO NOT SO!)

Finally the day I met my crappy abusive ex bf and stayed with him for four WASTEFUL FUCKING years of my 20s - I would make myself RUN, not walk away from the asshole and know that having a relationship with someone was not a good reason to prove others wrong about me (that is the long and short of that story)...

Posted by: Christina at October 17, 2007 9:47 AM

The kid has a better toupee.

I received orders (military-type) moving me from Alaska to a special ops unit in England with the date of transfer being ... wait for it ... 11 Sep 01. So, when airline flights were resumed, I headed to Seattle for a couple weeks with the long-time girlfriend before heading East. It was the best two weeks ever. We broke up a few months later because I was leery about subjecting her to the life of a military wife ('difficult' is an understatement). That idiocy is compounded now by the fact that I'm no longer in the military. I would go back to those two weeks in late Sep 01 and change the course of everything. Ah, hindsight. You horrible, mocking bastard.

Posted by: You can call me, 'Sir' at October 17, 2007 10:00 AM

I would say yes because of the hair comb-over look, but this illustration is far too innocent looking to resemble Trump, IMHO.

One time I would revisit? Happy, mostly carefree, sunshine-filled days in San Diego for sure :)

Other times? Times that I made stupid mistakes that I'll probably always regret (that I won't go into because things like that should always be on a "need to know basis", right? ;)

Posted by: sunchaser at October 17, 2007 10:09 AM

You know, I'm a firm believer in the I-wouldn't-change-a-thing-b/c-everything-I've-been-thru-has-gotten-me-to-where-I-am-now philosophy.

When I was in my 20s I REALLY wanted to go back to high school "knowing what I know now" [then]. I secretly wanted to enroll as a HS student and write one of those tell-all books. (I looked young for my age in my 20s, too) Now that I've got a kid in HS, I'm not so anxious to relive all that.

I'd be more interested in reliving certain periods of my son's life than my own. Guess that kind of supports your post yesterday about how much our lives change when we have kids. It's not really all about me anymore.

Posted by: kalisah at October 17, 2007 10:14 AM

Hey Donald! You look so much better on paper!

Posted by: Nadine at October 17, 2007 10:36 AM

If that were Trump, wouldn't his hand be IN the girl's dress?

One time to visit? Probably my teenage summers working as a summer camp counselor. Best job ever.

Posted by: Holmes at October 17, 2007 10:40 AM

1. A little.
2. I'd either go back to childhood and enjoy goofing off every damn day, or I'd go back to college and do some "things" that I've always wanted to try but wouldn't do now.

Posted by: Brad at October 17, 2007 11:12 AM

College. I would revisit college. Or...early in my days of dating Mr. Half.

And yes...that kid's combover is only slightly better than Trump's.

Posted by: wordgirl at October 17, 2007 11:32 AM

I would do High school over if I could, I loved it. If I could I would also do many things I did in my twenties over. Not
date him/leave/wait/stop/think more /do it, this is the only time you will be able to.

Maribeth, I am so sorry.

Posted by: tuesday at October 17, 2007 11:34 AM

Nice to see that your girl has also shredded her pop-up books. I thought maybe it was a boy thing.
My son is more thorough, though, and shoves the bits into the heating grate, never to be taped back on.

I would revisit my teenage self, and reassure her that she is NOT fat. And to stay away from the dangerous boys.

Posted by: christina at October 17, 2007 12:28 PM

I think it looks like Conan O'Brian. : )

Posted by: Arwen at October 17, 2007 12:40 PM

The day I thought it'd be a good idea to date (and eventually become engage to) a misogynistic abusive jackhole. I'd tell myself that being single was so much better than wasting the next three years.

But then again, if I hadn't gone through all of that, I wouldn't be who I am today and I actually like who I am today.

So I default back to a more obvious (and specific) period of time: August 11, 2005. I won't say why, just that it involved a boy. I think that's explanation enough :)

Posted by: Sparkle Pants at October 17, 2007 1:07 PM

I suppose it's kind of tacky to say this but I'd go back to college and I would break more rules. I was always intent on being the "good girl" and I don't think I had nearly enough fun. I'd go and have more fun and not worry so much about what other people thought of me. This time I'd say "yes" when I originally said "no" and on occasion say "no" when I originally said yes. I think my stupid goody-two-shoes complex got in my way.

Posted by: Sarah at October 17, 2007 1:17 PM

Bad combover? Check. Pompous self-importance? Check. Definitely Trump.

I guess I view the question more as a good time in my life I want to relive, not so much a bad time to do over. I have my share of mistakes under my belt, but none worth wasting an opportunity to go back in time.

There were so many good times, too. I think I'd choose to relive the era I was with my ex-husband and lived on the coast of Maine and we motorcycled everywhere side by side, and just did everything together. I wouldn't remarry him now, but that was just a special and magical time in my life overall.

Posted by: reen at October 17, 2007 1:49 PM

It's the loafers... That's why Jack looks like Trump. The loafers.

Posted by: GreenCanary at October 17, 2007 2:46 PM

It does! Hm. I thought subliminal messaging was supposed to be, well, subliminal.

If I could go back in time and revisit myself, it would be when I turned 15. A lot of crazy shit happened when I was that age. I just needed someone to slap me in the back of the head, and I think I'm just the chick to do that. You don't think that would cause any weird paradox shifts, do you?

Posted by: Tink at October 17, 2007 3:10 PM

Power of suggestion? Because now I see a resemblance. Ick.

As for revisiting a particular time in my life, I'd change the summer of 2003. I would go against my dad's insistence that I not fly halfway around the world to see him. He was undergoing cancer treatment for a very treatable cancer, and everything appeared to be going brilliantly... so he insisted there was no need and that he would be angry if I did... and then he unexpectedly died just four days of being completely done with the treatment in spite of it all... cancer-free, but gone himself. I still regret allowing him to talk me out of the trip.

Posted by: ewe_are_here at October 17, 2007 3:24 PM

Definitely looks like The Donald.

I don't know that I would go for a do-over, because I'm kinda partial to the way all the crap I went through prepared me for life in general, but I would definitely go back to when I was a kid to go to the beach with my family and play with my sister and my childhood dog one more time. Stuff was so innocent then and as long as we were all together everything was fine.

Posted by: Sassy at October 17, 2007 4:04 PM

I don't know if the comb over is quite right. But maybe.

Hmmm, that's a hard one. I guess I'd go back to 2003 and visit my grandpa one more time. He told me not to spend the money, that he was a fighter and he'd beat cancers ass. Three weeks later he was gone. I go and visit him one more time. In fact, maybe I'd go back to 1990, when I was young enough to enjoy him and want to spend time with him and not a bratty teen who had better things to do.

Posted by: Phoenix at October 17, 2007 5:53 PM

Definitely Trump-y!

I can't pinpoint any certain time I'd like to go back to - I feel like my life only gets better as time passes, so why go back? But I WOULD go back to any point in time as long as I could go knowing everything I know now.

You and Beth have fun games this week!

Posted by: Gwen at October 17, 2007 6:19 PM

I would go back to yesterday evening, right before I decided that saving $16 on my daughter's haircut would be a good idea and I could just "trim it up" at home.

Poor kid. Now the therapy she will need when she is 19 will cost me more than the damn haircut I was trying to avoid.

Posted by: Jen at October 17, 2007 10:08 PM

Good christ that's visually disturbing.

Turn the page! Turn the page!

Posted by: kimmyk at October 17, 2007 10:38 PM

August 8, 1988 - the day my dad moved out.

I remember it, but I'm not sure how much of it is accurate. I'd like to compare notes.

Posted by: Emily at October 17, 2007 11:36 PM

My heart aches for Maribeth too.

I'd go back to Sept. 21, 1983 and when the nurse asked me if I'd like to see my newborn son who'd just died, I'd say, "Yes! Bring him to me!" instead of "Can I wait until my husband comes back," because they wouldn't bring him to us later. Seriously, things were so backward and stupid back then. That would NEVER happen now. That's really my only true regret in life, that I didn't get to hold my baby.

If I get two do-overs, I'd go back a couple of years and when the man I was in love with (still am, actually but no one knows) told me I could have anything I wanted if I would just ask, I'd tell him that I loved him and ask him to love me too.

And nah, that kid looks like a cute little boy in need of a haircut, but I refuse to say he looks like Trump.

Posted by: Jaycie at October 18, 2007 4:04 AM

I would not have played "I never" with my two best friends and a bottle of Mad Dog after taking sudafed.

Posted by: Sarah, Goon Squad Sarah at October 19, 2007 11:35 AM

I do agree, a little like Trump!

I'm torn with your question about do-overs -
The two days my children were born so I could hold them again, with all the innocence and love for a new baby... Those rank up there with pure joy, and I'd love the chance to look at those tiny faces again. It's difficult to have them grow up so fast!!

But deep down in my heart, I'd feel guilty if I didn't say January 4, 2001. The day my husband suicided. "If I had only" replays again and again, regardless of how rational I am -

I haven't taken the time to stop and say it, even though I've thought it often, but CONGRATS on the new baby. =-)

Posted by: Dianne, Cabot, AR at October 22, 2007 2:30 PM