October 2, 2007

Time Warps and Big Girl Beds

I came home sick yesterday. I never do that. Although, truth be told, my health and the prospects of making it through the day were both questionable when I woke up. Beth and Mia were out when I got home. I called in to a few meetings, uploaded a few pictures and tried my best to relax just a tad. They eventually came home, Mia asleep in the back of Beth's car. Beth carried her upstairs then came and found me. "Do you have time for a parenting moment?" she asked. I did, of course. We ascended the stairs and entered Mia's room. She was asleep, under a purple blanket, in the big girl bed that arrived for her yesterday.

I am, once again, amazed at and humbled by the speed with which time flies.

When Mia awoke, she got out of her new bed, opened the door to her room and appeared shocked by the sudden autonomy. I was too. I'm astounded by her development, from a cute little drooly thing with jet-black sticky-up hair into this little curly-haired blond person with whom I have long conversations about the moon, squirrels and trains. This little girl who asks me if I'm okay, tells me that she's a better singer than I (it's true and it was my own admission that started this everlasting conversation), and has imaginary clown friends that kinda scare me a little bit.

Parenting is hard. It's a demanding job that's filled with hazards of all types - from heartbreak to the sheer volume of bodily fluids you'll get covered in. You don't get a break, it's not terribly glamorous and rarely do you get thanked. I know that I, for one, still take my parents for granted, even though I'm now armed with the knowledge that each of these little discoveries I've made with Mia they made with me. But I bet the payoff I get is similar to that of any parents', including, I hope, my own - I got to give life to a kid and watch her grow into the most amazing, coolest person imaginable.

But damn, a big girl bed...

Posted by Chris at October 2, 2007 6:39 AM
Comments

Yeah for Mia and her big girl bed!

I hope you feel better soon.

Posted by: Maria at October 2, 2007 7:49 AM

Super cute!!! :)

Posted by: Cassandra at October 2, 2007 7:55 AM

I'm glad she adjusted to it so quickly.

This time in their lives just flies by. Enjoy it.

Posted by: ann adams at October 2, 2007 8:05 AM

A big kid bed is one of the things that brings it home the most. It's a true indicator of their growing up. I remember the feeling.

And last night I took the boys to the store to choose new paint and decor for their room--no more blue skies and puffy clouds and sunshine on the walls for my big boys--now they want a wildlife theme complete with deer and ducks on the wallpaper border and camo bedding. *sigh* No more babies.

Posted by: Alissa at October 2, 2007 8:06 AM

These are the best year's of your life. People used to tell me that and I would kind of make a "Do what?" face. Now I get it. They really were. You have them all to yourself now, when they get bigger you have to share them more and more.
Don't get me wrong, kids are always great, especially your own. But there is a magic when they are little.

Hope you feel better quickly!

Posted by: BID at October 2, 2007 9:19 AM

I know. I was over at Beth's Blog yesterday and I couldn't believe it. Yet, it is the right time. Now long before the baby arrives to take over her domain.
Times flies...
My baby will be 31 in December!

Posted by: Maribeth at October 2, 2007 9:24 AM

That's great...you guys are doing an unbelievable job on Mia, which is reflected in her ease in adjusting so quickly to a fairly big change for a toddler. Also love how she already connects with her baby brother. Great going Chris!

Posted by: Dee at October 2, 2007 9:37 AM

I started to write this exact same post yesterday but work took me away from it. We (being my husband and I) feel the same way about Matthew. We are in awe of this little amazing person who started out small and needy and now tells us "no I will turn on the light mommy!" When did he get so big he could reach up and turn on the light?! Ah, parenting is truly an awesome, momentous, and humbling experience - or least that is what I am finding!

Thanks for writing this post far more eloquently then I could have!

Posted by: Christina at October 2, 2007 9:45 AM

You're a better person than I am. Zoe is still trapped in her crib... and I'm not ready to change that!

Posted by: Colleen at October 2, 2007 9:46 AM

I've read and/or have been told time and time again that they simply grow up too fast and it's easy to miss out on enjoying every second, so I'm going to try my darndest to do what I can to absorb every moment possible. I know I won't, and there will be times where I'm apathetic about it, but I hope those are few and far between. Terribly cute right-hand picture...just love it.

Posted by: Nathan Pralle at October 2, 2007 9:54 AM

Oh man, I feel ya. You are such a lucky man, and I love saying that to you because I know how lucky I am too.

The picture of Mia giving her baby brother a bracelet to wear and playing him a song? It's a real heart-warmer. This one here is equally beautiful.

The big girl bed... such a huge step. Congrats. And it was hard for us. The hardest part was acting out the part of "there's nothing interesting out here, so don't get out of bed." In time it fades. We basically learned to be sure that she's tired and calmed down before bedtime.

Posted by: Brad at October 2, 2007 9:57 AM

You are ahead of the game... you are paying attention. So many of us parents just tried to get by from day to day and let things slide by until it was too late, then stop when they are all grown up and look back with regret.

You are such good parents. You should be proud.

Posted by: sue at October 2, 2007 10:00 AM

Such a big girl. Hard to believe for us out here in the blog world too.

I was just thinking that today that my girl is now 10 months old and has opinions and ideas about how things should be done and lets us know when she's not happy.... what happened to the little blob that would just lie in her pack and play all swaddled up for the whole day? Wasn't that just yesterday? Now she's about to walk. As I type this she is waving to me from across the room.

How DOES it go so fast?

Posted by: donna at October 2, 2007 10:18 AM

I never stop being amazed by what a great dad you are.

Posted by: kalisah at October 2, 2007 10:28 AM

Yay! A big girl bed!!! Your last paragraph couldn't be more true. You are very blessed to have such a wonderful family even if they drive you crazy at times. Hope you feel better soon!

Posted by: lesley at October 2, 2007 10:41 AM

Hope you're feeling better.

A very beautiful post. Thanks for sharing.

Posted by: Li'l Foot's Mommy at October 2, 2007 11:27 AM

You are exactly right about parenthood. But when they look at you and tell you they love you or give you hugs and kisses ... man it's worth the vomit on the new shirt.

~Jef

Posted by: Edge at October 2, 2007 11:34 AM

The time warp really is amazing, isn't it?

Love the pictures you've posted here. Lovely.

Posted by: ewe_are_here at October 2, 2007 12:15 PM

OH but Chris we do get a thank you. Every time your little girl smiles at you, thats a thank you. Every time she lays her head on your lap, another thank you. Laughs are a thank you. But the biggest and best thank you is when your little girl says "I love you"!

Excuse me, I need to go hug my daughters!

Posted by: Jeff A at October 2, 2007 1:24 PM

Yea to big girl beds. It goes by so fast. But like I posted to Beth, she's still a tiny thing who needs you. Hell, my niece is three and needed me to rock her to sleep last night.

I hope you feel better today.

ps. Love that picture of her kissing Beth and Wally.

Posted by: Phoenix at October 2, 2007 2:03 PM

Great post!!

Tim we'll be in a big boy bed soon too. They grow up WAY too fast.

Posted by: Nadine at October 2, 2007 2:11 PM

she has changed so much...yet she still has the exact same face!

big girl bed. HUGE step. Isabella sleeps in hers for the first time tonight!

Posted by: ali at October 2, 2007 2:18 PM

Like I commented on Beth's blog: There is something so sweet and snuggly about such a tiny person in such a big bed. I just want to eat my son when I see him sleeping in our spare room on the big bed.

Posted by: SleepyNita at October 2, 2007 4:40 PM

That picture on the right gets me right in the throat. You have a beautiful family, Chris. They do grow up quickly. But I sense that you're going to enjoy every moment of it. Truly.

Posted by: Tink at October 2, 2007 5:32 PM

Wow, she's definitely a little girl, now, and not a baby. I can't believe how much she's changed since the last time I was here.

I hope you feel better soon. I'd bring over some chicken soup if you lived closer, or, you know, weren't vegetarian. Virtual miso soup?

Posted by: Kate the Shrew at October 2, 2007 6:40 PM

Aww, that's great! Mia's a big girl now! :) I know it's sad at the same time. :( They grow up so fast. Just today, my baby crawled up three stairs (scary!)

The photo of her kissing her mommy's belly is priceless.

Posted by: Dawn at October 2, 2007 7:07 PM

It was pretty shocking when Anya moved to the big girl bed and we got rid of the crib altogether. Totally wild to think I'd never have a baby to put in one again. But I'm really digging these big kids now. It's a great stage to be moving into, complete with sleeping more than five hours IN A ROW on a regular basis.

But it does blow my mind all the time.

YAY for Mia, the big girl and her parents who have survived thus far!

Posted by: Elaine at October 3, 2007 1:31 AM

PS Mia is adorable and Beth is beautiful. You really do have a stunning family.

Posted by: Elaine at October 3, 2007 1:46 AM

Sniff sniff. Lovely post. And the pic of Mia kissing Beth's belly is beyond words.

Posted by: aimee/greeblemonkey at October 3, 2007 10:39 PM

Today it's a big girl bed, tomorrow it will be a training bra. Okay, well maybe not tomorrow but they way that time flies, it sure feels that way.

Posted by: Nila at October 4, 2007 4:03 AM

Those photos are beautiful. I love the photos of Mia interacting with Beth's tummy, they are so sweet. What an awesome big sister she is. :)

Posted by: Teenuh at October 4, 2007 8:00 AM

I had completely forgotten that she had black hair. Man, didn't she just come home, like - yesterday??

Posted by: Emily at October 4, 2007 2:23 PM

it's soooooo wild! so great, too, to do it all again!

Posted by: haley-o at October 10, 2007 5:48 PM

If you want to buy a car, you will have to get the home loans. Furthermore, my sister always uses a college loan, which occurs to be the most useful.

Posted by: Stacey34SANCHEZ at March 22, 2010 8:53 AM