October 22, 2007

Hold Your Horses

So, what happened this weekend...

Friday: Work (gah); a flu shot; dinner with the parents and in-laws; TiVo catch-up.
Saturday: $300 visit to Lowes; lunch and a nap; dinner out on the town for the three of us (four if you count The Fetus); silly house-flipping shows and more TiVo catch-up.
Sunday: The petting zoo; more lunch, more nap; ceiling fan installation; blog catch-up.

And while all this proves that we had a nice, busy weekend with no shortage of excitement, the most impressive thing this weekend were the incredible feats of bravery turned in by both Mia and Beth.

See, late last week, Mia requested a pony ride. Yesterday, we obliged. However, when we got to the local petting zoo, Mia turned shy and slightly scared. The only way she'd go was accompanied by Beth. And the thing Beth is most afraid of on this great earth are horses. I don't really understand it but, put in terms that I'd understand, I guess it would be like me riding a spider. Or a liberal like myself riding George Bush. And really, I don't want to do either of those things.

Nevertheless, as the picture proves, the ride went down, Mia had a good time, and Beth survived. Only, as she later admitted, it was a near thing.

So, what are you most scared of?

Posted by Chris at October 22, 2007 6:18 AM
Comments

Gold stars for your girls.

Burning buildings and bombs - See 9-11-2001.

Heights - A counselor at summer camp was pulling on my legs to push me on the swing I was sitting on and pulled me off the swing on to the floor. My face hit the pavement and I broke my two front teeth.

Sleep walking - The last two times I walked in my sleep was when I was nine. I burned my back because I laid down on a raidiator. I woke up standing in the middle of the street in the wee hours of the morning. I've had insomnia ever since. However, living in NYC I've had to confront the height issues.

Flying - I can't explain this one. I get physically ill when I have to fly.

I guess today is TMI Monday for me.

Have a great day.

Posted by: Maria at October 22, 2007 6:53 AM

how brave of Beth!
I'm terrified of heights. in august my family went to Niagara Falls. They have a huge ferris wheel you can ride on that is enclosed, it takes you up where you can see the town and the falls. my daughter THINKS she's scared of everything, but she never gives it a try. to try to get her from being scared for no reason I agreed to go on the ferris wheel (umm, okay so what I actually did was say, "oh she's scared maybe we'll just wait down here" and when that didn't work I went on it as well). my family had NO idea how petrified I am to be up high until we were stopped at the top and my lips turned blue and I couldn't even speak or move. fun.

Posted by: betty at October 22, 2007 7:55 AM

Drowning, or being in water over my head, which would equal my drowning or the death of whoever put me there.

Posted by: coolchick at October 22, 2007 7:55 AM

Flying, but, like Beth, do it anyway.

Posted by: jodi at October 22, 2007 7:58 AM

Seeing ANYONE riding George Bush. Thanks for that visual.

Posted by: Missy at October 22, 2007 8:02 AM

How fun for Mia, and YAY for Beth! The things we do for our kids, huh?

Needles. They terrify me. "Bad guys", as my kids call them. Ever since our house was robbed a few years ago, I'm always worried that someone will come in while we're asleep. And tornadoes/bad storms, which I used to love until we were nearly blown away in one last year.

Posted by: Alissa at October 22, 2007 8:10 AM

Cute pony picture.

And... I'm right there with you on the spiders. My husband doesn't understand, he thinks I'm ridiculous.

Posted by: Colleen at October 22, 2007 8:28 AM

Aw how cute~! I love the petting zoo, even though it smells really bad.

I am terrified of lightning and fire. When I was 5 we were sitting on our porch during a storm and there was a guy a few houses down sitting on his bike and he got struck by lightning and died. Freaked.me.out.

Fire scares the crap out of me. I've seen friends and family lose everything to fire. It has a will of it's own. It's also mesmerizing...we had a huge fire in town yesterday and I spent hours watching it and taking pictures with my cell phone because I forgot my camera at home.

Posted by: Lisa at October 22, 2007 8:29 AM

Spiders for me.

and you ride GW like once a week on this here blog.

Posted by: William at October 22, 2007 8:32 AM

Hey, Beth is looking really wonderful. Pregnancy agrees with her!

Posted by: Maribeth at October 22, 2007 8:40 AM

I'm more a fear of the unknown kind of girl. I used to have a phobic fear of spiders, but, once I was bitten by a brown recluse and my worst fear was realized, I was able to get a grip on the situation. I can now tolerate them well enough to at least take the time to see if they are a "bad" spider before I kill them. I saw the biggest (hairy!) spider crawling up the living room wall the other night and didn't even blink. I recognized it as a harmless type and just let it go. My understanding is that spiders feed on one another, so I let the "good" guys live to rid the house of the other guys.

Hmm, that doesn't answer your question, really. I guess I am the most scared that someone will break in/attack me when I'm unaware and unable to defend myself.

Posted by: Melissa at October 22, 2007 8:48 AM

I'd have to go for spiders as well. Damn leggy beasts. My fear stems from a junior high incident when a friend and I were at a local park, writing boys names in marker on the picnic tables. Our hands got dirty, so we went into the bathrooms to wash up and it was like a scene out of a Halloween horror movie. There were fairly large spiders EVERYWHERE - on the walls, in the sinks, hanging above the doors. You literally could not turn around without running into another one. We ran out of there screaming, only to realize my friend had left her ring on the bathroom sink. She'd taken it off to wash her hands, so we had to brave our way back in past the killer spiders. I've hated spiders ever since. My mom thought it was funny and when I was eating an ice cream cone would teasingly ask if I couldn't feel the spider legs poking out on my tongue. No wonder I'm warped!

Posted by: Shelly at October 22, 2007 8:55 AM

Having all my teeth fall out. All at once.

Posted by: Jeff St Real at October 22, 2007 9:02 AM

I am TERRIFIED of heights. My sister was convinced I was exaggerating my fear so she once made me go on a ferris wheel with her. I spent the entire ride huddled on the floor of the little cage, crying. Good times.

Posted by: Fraulein N at October 22, 2007 9:16 AM

I'm undeniably a big wuss baby and have many fears - the "biggest" is probably my fear of snakes. Don't know why, don't know what it is about them - but I can't even watch them on tv. Those things freak me out. They're not even cute. They're creepy looking. Gah!

And, in the embarassing realm, I'm petrified of flying. Not so much the flying, but the plunging to my death from 35,000 feet leaving Hubby to raise our two kids. Sad, right? I'm less afraid if my whole family is with me. I'm really terrified of something happening to me and Hubby scrambling to try to raise our girls. I haven't been on a plane since I was pregnant for Pumpkin (who is about 5 days younger than Mia) - and I was so freaked out thinking of my daughter at home, that once the turbulence hit, I couldn't even breathe. It was horrible. The flight attendant found an off duty pilot to sit with me and explain to me the physics of flight - which had a twofold benefit: 1) it distracted me from thinkingtoo hard about the dying thing, and 2) I really like knowing how things work... and it was pretty cool to hear about it.

Still don't like flying, though.

Posted by: Sarah at October 22, 2007 9:30 AM

Sheesh, you like to rile things up on a Monday, don'tcha?

I guess, now that it's closer in the rear-view than it used to be, I'm scared of getting old. Being in a nursing home, eating applesauce, kind of old. You'd think I'd take better care of myself, with that in mind, but nah. Just another step on the road of denial, here.

Posted by: Candy at October 22, 2007 10:42 AM

Clowns. im terrified of clowns.

Posted by: madmom at October 22, 2007 10:51 AM

Beth looks awesome... Yay for pony rides!
Fears, hmmm. I have a huge fear of puking. Stupid, I know. And one of my biggest fears is any kind of biological warfare/outbreak. I made a huge mistake in watching 'The Stand', things like that fah-reak me. Ugh.

Cancer. Big fear. I just read an article about cancer deaths being on a decline, although I know someone who died of it over the weekend, and no less than 5 people battling the disease as we speak. Ugh.

My biggest fear ever? Something happening to my hubby, my daughter or my Mom.

Posted by: Jen at October 22, 2007 11:04 AM

Hands down... Seagulls... and living in New England on the coast, this is not any easy fear to overcome... everytime I start to trust those flying dump rats... they attack...

Posted by: Stephanie at October 22, 2007 11:04 AM

vomit. i'm pretty much not really scared of anything else...

Posted by: ali at October 22, 2007 11:22 AM

she looks very brave up on that horse.

My thing is RODENTS. Luckily, My Kid never asked for a ride on a rat.

I did, however, put my foot down on any hamsters, gerbils, guinna pigs, etc. as pets. Never gonna happen.

Posted by: kalisah at October 22, 2007 11:44 AM

Just spiders. Why are so many of us scared of spiders? Why is it eight legs: bad, 6 legs: OK? I have no idea.

Posted by: alison at October 22, 2007 11:50 AM

Horses, eucalyptus trees, heights and spiders...are all things that make me wanna hide under the bed til they are gone.

Posted by: Amy at October 22, 2007 11:51 AM

Turkeys. I got chased by one in grade school. We were cutting across a field and saw some turkeys, and I was the idiot child who thought turkeys would make great friends.

Posted by: Lisa at October 22, 2007 11:53 AM

I wouldn't say "scared" so much as totally freaked out by those really huge lubber grasshoppers. EWWW.

Posted by: Claire at October 22, 2007 11:54 AM

Ferris Wheels. *ugh*

Posted by: Mr Lady at October 22, 2007 12:18 PM

'riding George Bush' - that's a classic.

I am terrified of zombies.

Posted by: Arwen at October 22, 2007 12:47 PM

Birds. I missed the duck race at the farm yesterday because I was using my guy as a human shield. Birds are so scary.

And arsonists. This is mostly because I grew up in a trailer park where people frequently set things on fire.

Posted by: samantha at October 22, 2007 12:49 PM

Yeah Beth!!!

I am most afraid of sharks. And because of that, the ocean. I don't know why--I've never been attacked by one, I don't know anyone who has had a run-in with a shark, and I don't live close enough to them that they would be a daily threat. But I WILL NOT even put so much as a toe in that water. On the flipside, my husband LOVES swimming in the ocean. On our honeymoon I had to cry and beg him not to go swimming for fear of my becoming a widow after 3 days of marriage.

It's not rational, but that's the story of my life I suppose.

Posted by: samantha Jo Campen at October 22, 2007 1:06 PM

Spiders for me, too. And viruses.

Posted by: Sphincter at October 22, 2007 1:32 PM

I am scared of another year with George Bush, although I wish you could ride him.

Posted by: tuesday at October 22, 2007 1:35 PM

Heights.
Flying.
Ever being pregnant.
Apocalypses.
That a cat is going to scratch me and it will be to deep to clean, but I'll think it's fine and then I'll get sick and have to wear a thing around my waist that shoots medicine into my heart like the chick I saw on 20/20 once.

Posted by: Cassandra at October 22, 2007 1:59 PM

I don't really know what specifically I'm afraid but last night I dreamed that I had my ass bitten off by a lion. And it hurt :P

Posted by: Heather at October 22, 2007 2:08 PM

Adorable photos! Glad your wife was able to survive!

My fears? Hmm...clowns, earthquakes, being stuck in an elevator, large mobs of people, and any type of flying insect, no matter how small.

Posted by: Dawn at October 22, 2007 2:36 PM

I'm OCD....having said that, claustraphobic, HATE heights, flying, tunnels....I (can) get physically ill.

We had 16 horses/ponies growing up, loved it!!! Rode all the time.

Posted by: been there, done that at October 22, 2007 2:56 PM

Different from "creeps me out", which would be roaches - especially the ones that fly, and heights, which makes me totally dizzy?

A painful death.

Posted by: Pammer at October 22, 2007 2:56 PM

Definitely heights. When I was little, I thought I was extremely brave to climb on top of a Sears-Roebuck catalogue.

Now it's two steps up on a ladder.

I've mastered mountain driving and flying but I'm not comfortable with either. My first plane trip (when I was 41) I found myself walking down the dead center of the aisle to the bathroom. I think I was afraid I was going to unbalance the 747. My boys were cracking up.

Cheers for Beth!! I know exactly how she must have felt.

Posted by: ann adams at October 22, 2007 3:55 PM

My fears:

Raw Tomatoes
Someone hurting my dog, or losing my dog.
Anything at all ever happening to my child. There would be hell to pay.

Posted by: SleepyNita at October 22, 2007 6:16 PM

My fears:

Raw Tomatoes
Someone hurting my dog, or losing my dog.
Anything at all ever happening to my child. There would be hell to pay.

Posted by: SleepyNita at October 22, 2007 6:16 PM

Heights to some degree. Not that I won't go on a roller coaster or sit on a roof, but it makes me nervous. But the thing I fear most is the filter systems at the bottom of pools. I am terrified of people drowning.

Posted by: Phoenix at October 22, 2007 6:53 PM

horses and spiders. swears to gods. also, being buried alive.

Posted by: jodi at October 22, 2007 9:42 PM

Looks like it was a good weekend!!

Roaches. I loathe roaches. They creep the hell out of me.

Posted by: Emily at October 22, 2007 10:59 PM

Moths. They are irrationally fluttery.

Posted by: aimee/greeblemonkey at October 23, 2007 1:24 AM

Awwww...kudos to Beth and Mia! Despite being afraid of every bug known to man and dogs for all of my childhood, horses have never scared me. I just think they are one of the most beautiful, graceful creatures on earth.

Posted by: laura at October 23, 2007 7:50 AM

Oh, I missed the question. Death. And clowns.

Posted by: laura at October 23, 2007 7:53 AM

Dude, she's like... touching it! Brave lady.

I don't fear much, because of course I am a superior badass. Recently I have killed a spider with a golf club that was as big as my hand, trapped a snake and returned him/her to the woods, and fished non-food items from the garbage disposal with my bare hand. However, I do have a thing with heights. Leaning over the edge of a rooftop? No thanks. Roller coasters? Yes, I love 'em because you're strapped in tight. Ferris wheels? No way.

Posted by: Brad at October 23, 2007 1:14 PM

I am most scared of fire. Which is making my life here in Southern California very interesting this week. Cannot. Tear. Myself. Away. From. News. Coverage. lol

Posted by: Amy at October 24, 2007 3:41 AM

Spiders are WAY up on my scary list. But I'm not to keen on horses either. Or big dogs. Bugs. Except lady bugs. Bats. Ehm... the first three months of pregnancy. Bungee jumping. The surgery bloody parts of House episodes.

Posted by: Nadine at October 24, 2007 7:10 AM

Clowns and tornados. Thankfully two things that you don't often see go hand-in-hand.

Posted by: Jennie at October 24, 2007 3:59 PM