October 12, 2007

The Weeklies #6

It's Friday. At last. And once again, I find myself working from the sanctity of the Cactus Home Office. It's been an interesting week. Let's review.

The Weekly Best Moment. This week's best moment was actually a string of moments lasting 24 hours - our anniversary. Eight years ago, Beth and I got hitched. Pretty damn good eight years.

The Weekly Worst Moment. What, the bathroom concussion wasn't bad enough? You people want blood and tears? Sheesh, you're demanding.

The Weekly Annoyance. The ads for Outback Steakhouse. You really think authentic Australians sing with bizarre, exaggerated accents and idolize Crocodile Dundee? God I hope not.

The Weekly Reads. Amidst all the work and play this week, I managed to make it through only one book - When One Man Dies by Dave White. If the back of the book was to be believed, this thriller would turn the mystery genre on its ear. It didn't. It wasn't bad but it wasn't all that. If you're after a mystery, check out anything by Charlie Huston or go old school and find some Raymond Chandler. You can do better than this.

The Weekly Music. The past two weeks have seen the release of two near-flawless albums - Echoes Silence Patience & Grace (Foo Fighters) and Magic (Bruce Springsteen). Seriously. Flawless. Unless you're a raging gangsta rap fan, I can almost guarantee you'll dig these. Try them. You'll like them.

The Weekly Schadenfreude. Did you hear about Pam Anderson's wedding? She took a break between the magic show she's an assistant for in Vegas, and got hitched to Rick Salomon - the costar of the infamous Paris Hilton sex tape. She wore a denim skirt, continually referred to Rick as "scum" (which is probably not inaccurate), and dined on pigs-in-blankets after the ceremony. They couldn't eat the cake because it was made of cardboard - it was a last-minute thing. Why did Pam get hitched so fast? "I paid off a poker debt with sexual favors, and I fell in love. It's so romantic!"

The Weekly Picture. I took none of these. Well, okay, one which I bet you can spot. The rest are the product of a two year old with a cheap old digital camera.

The Weekly Picture. What was the single best thing - major or minor - that happened to you this week?

Posted by Chris at October 12, 2007 6:05 AM
Comments

Wow--I'm the first to comment! The single best thing for me this week was watching my son play hockey with his team for the very first time. This is also the first year he's played. He loved it.

Posted by: Susan at October 12, 2007 6:34 AM

Single best thing: Lawyer phoned this morning and said the purchase of the house has gone through! I am going to pick up my keys in about an hour!

Posted by: Amber at October 12, 2007 6:51 AM

Well it might sound like a sad thing, especially in light of your anniversary (Happy Annivesary, btw), but the best thing happening this week is that today my divorce is final. It's a bit sad, but it's also a good thing. I get to start a whole new chapter of my life. Now where did I put my pen?

Posted by: alison at October 12, 2007 7:55 AM

Watching my kids at their dance and karate class. They finally are comfortable without the other being right next to them, they are brave and became a little more independent this week.
I am so proud.

Posted by: tuesday at October 12, 2007 8:29 AM

Best - I traveled home a day early
Worst - My house was broken into and all my wedding jewelry was stolen and I visited pawn shops and they are amazingly depressing places.

Posted by: Arwen at October 12, 2007 8:38 AM

Single Best Thing: my husband out of the blue announcing that "he thinks we're ready to start a family"
GOOOOOOOOOOO USSSSSSSS!

Posted by: Stephanie at October 12, 2007 8:51 AM

Benjamin said "mouse". Then broke into a fit of giggles.

And? Closing on two houses.

I'm exhausted.

Posted by: Pammer at October 12, 2007 9:18 AM

Let's see - money's tight, the dog has had 3 lovely crap accidents on the carpet, the son got in trouble for googling for sex pictures, I'm gaining weight and the weather got COLD. Not my best week by a long shot. That's why the surprise gift of flowers from one of my best friends was so great.

Posted by: Traci at October 12, 2007 9:18 AM

Payday.

Posted by: Candy at October 12, 2007 9:22 AM

I'll cheat a little and include last Friday in the 'week'...I took the day off. Just didn't do anything more than sit on the deck, drink coffee, and watch squirrels run hither and yon. I can't recommend doing this highly enough, really. Granted, it's easier to do when you're a 'professional student', but the benefit of making the effort to do nothing occasionally is universal.

Posted by: You can call me, 'Sir' at October 12, 2007 9:28 AM

I can't even answer for this week since we've had a stomach virus that ran through the house and nearly killed us. Last week however, my twins turned one and that was by far the best thing that happened all month so far!!

Posted by: lesley at October 12, 2007 9:44 AM

The best thing that happened to me this week was being taken out to dinner by my boyfriend. We're broke college students, so that is a rarity :)

Posted by: Stephanie at October 12, 2007 10:06 AM

For being a pretty crappy week, lots of good things have happened!
1. Our offer went through on the house! Woohoo!
2. I have the best husband (for me) in the world! So every moment with him is a good one. He is constantly keeping me smiling and making me laugh when I'm down. AND he puts up with me when I'm majorly PMS-ing.
3. My parents are two of the coolest people in the world and they are always doing things for other people. This week they've led by example once again and shown me that it really does matter if you take a few moments and help someone out.

Those are just a few!

Posted by: Arwen at October 12, 2007 10:20 AM

Personally? Watching my husband walk all the way around the outside of the house for the first time since surgery.

Generally? Doris Lessing and Al Gore win the Nobel.

Have a great weekend.

Posted by: ann adams at October 12, 2007 10:23 AM

On a scale of 1 to 10, this weeked ranked around -58. It would have made it to 60 except for a really good run on Sunday and my son explaining the Love Furnace.

Posted by: Nat at October 12, 2007 10:25 AM

Posted by: Nat at October 12, 2007 10:25 AM

Playing footsie with my unborn child; a foot pokes out above my right hip, so I gently push it back in - moments later the foot is back, so I push back again . . . repeat and laugh in amazement.

Posted by: Betti at October 12, 2007 10:25 AM

Okay, this is going to sound just plain ridiculous, but after I got home on Wednesday night (the night I was rear-ended) I made myself some scrambled eggs. And put salsa on top. And for some reason, it reminded me of my mom and I felt instantly better. Than I had a beer and the night improved even more.

Posted by: Jennie at October 12, 2007 10:32 AM

I WON THE NOBEL PEACE PRIZE!!!

Oh wait, that wasn't me. That was Al Gore.

nevermind.

Posted by: kalisah at October 12, 2007 10:34 AM

Yay for anniversaries! Ours is the end of Nov - but we are already talking about next year - it will be 20!! (OMG - that makes me feel ooooold! And I swear I was pretty young when we got hitched)

Anyway - I bought those exact 2 CDs last weekend. The Foos, as ususal, simply just out out some of the best rock around and The Boss - well that's just one of his best in a long time (I don't count the Seeger Sessions - though great - it wasn't the E Street)

Best thing that happened this week - and this is not a big thing - we got HD tv... It's just amazing...

Posted by: Sue at October 12, 2007 10:35 AM

You took one of those? I'm going with top right and assuming it's bathroom ceiling we're looking at, in a post-concussion shot.

Posted by: Laura GF at October 12, 2007 10:42 AM

The single best thing for me this week was discovering the deliciousness of the Ghirardelli double chocolate chip cookie.

Posted by: Jody at October 12, 2007 10:58 AM

The best thing that happened to me this week was my mom coming for a visit. It has always sucked to live halfway across the country from our family, but it's doubly hard now that the Peanut is here. I wish my kid would know her grandparents more than a few visits a year.

Posted by: Shelly at October 12, 2007 11:02 AM

The best thing for me was relaxing with my neighbor, enjoying a few nice cold glasses of Blue Moon Belgium White Ale. With a slice of orange. Delicious.

Posted by: Slinger at October 12, 2007 11:11 AM

The higlight of my week was my triumphant return to using cable Internet access instead of dial up. Otherwise, this week has not been one of my favorites. Not one of my worst either, but still, I kind of wish I had a better highlight. I'm determined that next week will be better!

Posted by: bad penguin at October 12, 2007 11:23 AM

My five year old son on his way out the door with my husband yells bye and then all of a sudden comes back in, sets his stuff down, runs over to me and gives me a big kiss, hug and an "I love you mama"...aaahhh, life is good.

Posted by: Judy at October 12, 2007 11:24 AM

Nothing earth-shattering over here, but Thursday was my birthday and it was a pretty good day. Normally, my birthday is "just another day of the week" for me, but this year, it had a few bright spots. Hey, getting old sucks. But yesterday? Did not.

Posted by: ironic1 at October 12, 2007 11:46 AM

The single best thing that happened to me this week? *thinking* Meeting my big brother for coffee while on my trip to the U.S. Passport Agency. I felt a sense of pride when I saw him walking down the street towards me. My big bro... He's so cool :)

Posted by: GreenCanary at October 12, 2007 11:52 AM

The best thing? Coming here and realizing it was really FRIDAY! (it has been Thursday to me all day)

Posted by: sue at October 12, 2007 11:59 AM

Thanksgiving monday...... night (child who for the last 6 months has been getting up every hour mabye two all night every night) SLEPT FROM 7:30pm until 6:30 AM!!!!!!! I didn't sleep of course, I was too busy watching his cute little chest rise and fall rise and fall....

Posted by: Amy at October 12, 2007 12:32 PM

We had a minor incident outside at work yesterday. More here.

Posted by: Laura at October 12, 2007 1:13 PM

A bad thing: I came home from work and The Hub had a new 47 inch HD TV in the livingroom.

The worst thing: It doesn't suck.

Posted by: Sphincter at October 12, 2007 1:33 PM

I got a job at a bookstore :)

Posted by: betty at October 12, 2007 1:43 PM

The bad things:
1. Comcast... enuf said!
2. Work

The good things:
1. Any hug from Mini Red makes everything better.
2. Skull mounted on my hood.
3. The week is over and I'm gonna have me some beers.

Posted by: Red at October 12, 2007 1:51 PM

Thanks for asking. For me, the single best thing that happened to me this week was yesterday - standing in my kitchen, making lunch, I realized that I am doing exactly what I want to be doing with my life right now and I am so happy about that!

Posted by: Tomika at October 12, 2007 1:56 PM

The best part of my week was sitting on the front steps of the apartment, holding my kid on my lap, watching the construction across the street and blowing bubbles.

Something about the smell of his hair makes my heart ache.

Posted by: Isabel at October 12, 2007 2:18 PM

This sucks. I tried to think of one good thing. I wasn't even shooting for great. It happened to be a paticularly bad week. I had to make one very large life altering decision and I think I may have made the wrong choice. Husband is away on business which leaves me as sole parent taking care of the crazy 5 yr old which normally would not be so bad except that I piched a nerve in my back a couple of days ago and my Doctor has me hopped up on muscle relaxers. And lastly, i am looking for work after being out of the job market for 5 years and i am sending out resumes like crazy, and nothing. nobody calling.

i don't mean to be a bummer. well, at least i got that off my chest. thanks. and reading about everybody else's good moments made feel a little better.

Posted by: Pinky at October 12, 2007 3:13 PM

Being able to spend my birthday with my parents. And on a more personal level - getting a long hug from my dad and later getting a head massage from my mom. All in all, it was a pretty great week.

Posted by: Amaya at October 12, 2007 3:19 PM

i hate that ad (might only be in canada) for outback around christmastime where the sing to the tune of deck the halls and they say "have your self a bloomin' onion" i can't get that out of my head.

Posted by: ali at October 12, 2007 3:33 PM

Well, it was a pretty uneventful week, so I'd have to say the fact that my daughter finally recovered from her first cold! And, as well, my husband and I finally recovered. Now we are all able to breathe through our noses again :)

Posted by: Dawn at October 12, 2007 3:41 PM

I, also, have been revelling in the Foo's and the Bruce's newest stuff. So great. I'm glad to see Bruce is back to his best music-making self.

Posted by: Sara at October 12, 2007 5:26 PM

Oh, and, uh, best thing of the week?!

Getting my wisdom teeth out was probably the pinnacle of fun experiences I've had in the past few months. WOW.

Posted by: Sara at October 12, 2007 5:28 PM

Having a totally SUPRIZE 60th birthday. "They like me, they really, really like me."

Posted by: joss is boss at October 12, 2007 8:26 PM

The day AFTER my migraine. No kidding! Because...after you'd pay someone to kill you during the 24-hour headache that makes you also want to vomit? The energy surge that ensues from having no pain is simply amazing!

Posted by: wordgirl at October 14, 2007 1:17 PM

Posted by: wordgirl at October 14, 2007 1:17 PM

i love the photos! very creative. even for a 2 year old.

best thing to happen to me this week? watching my son play football and then watching both of my children interact with their friends at homecoming. so fun!

Posted by: kimmyk at October 14, 2007 8:54 PM

I like the weekly wrap ups, and yes I see the one of Mia that must have been taken by you... in motion.

Best thing about my week was freeing the toe. Getting new tires was a close second though, because my truck doesn't shudder anymore, it just hums along.

Posted by: Brad at October 15, 2007 10:42 AM