November 13, 2007

Chucks (Or, How The Internet Made Me Hip)

A couple of weeks ago, Sarah kindly gave Mia some of the clothes her daughter Claudia had grown out of. Included was a pair of pink Chucks. You know, old-school Converse sneakers. Sarah and the Goon Squad are so hip it hurts (ouch). Oddly enough, I'm just a few weeks shy of 35 years old and I came to the abrupt realization that I'd never owned a pair of Chucks. I was trading email with Emily who'd just posted a picture of her own Chucks and she was horror-stricken (okay, maybe not "horror-stricken" but she sure was surprised). So I bought some and fixed the problem. To be cool like my daughter. And the internet.

Of course this brings up a question for you guys. See, when I was in junior high school, Guess jeans were the coolest thing ever. If you didn't have a pair, with the triangular patch on the back right pocket, you just weren't cool. Now, my mom never saw any reason to buy me actual Guess jeans, something about the fact that they cost a billion dollars a pair. Instead she bought less expensive knock-offs. Ashamed, I learned that I could cut the wannabe patch off the pocket and the unfaded triangle on the back would make them look just like a pair of Guess jeans. I just told people the label fell off. Clearly, this somehow traumatized me since I'm 34 years old and still thinking about this. But it was one way in which I was never cool. Another, more current example is the fact that I think I've seen about five episodes of The Simpsons in their entirety. It's funny, yes, I just never watch it.

And this brings me to the question: How are you uncool? What fad have you missed? What pop culture phenomenon do you just not get?

Posted by Chris at November 13, 2007 6:21 AM
Comments

Rap music or Hip Hop. I am sorry but I don't like it. I find most of the lyrics (when I can understand them - what is a shawty anyway??). I know understand the generation gap because my 15 year old LOVES it.

That and Brittany Spears. Back in my day, that girl would have been grounded and sent to her room for life!

Posted by: DebbieDoesLife at November 13, 2007 6:48 AM

Rap music or Hip Hop. I am sorry but I don't like it. I find most of the lyrics (when I can understand them - what is a shawty anyway??) very confusing. I know understand the generation gap because my 15 year old LOVES it.

Posted by: DebbieDoesLife at November 13, 2007 6:48 AM

Wow.... a bit too deep for me at this early hour... but right off the top of my head is that fad of wearing clothing about 6 sizes too large and having your boxers hang out. I've spent my entire life just trying to fit into the sizes I'm supposed to be wearing. Guess I missed the boat -- I could have skirted my issues by simply buying clothing 6 sizes to large. I'd definitely fit into them. Obviously, these kids never had the same weight/body issues that many of us experience...

Oh, and I was always cool. At least in MY mind.

Posted by: ironic1 at November 13, 2007 7:01 AM

well, I was a "minority" in junior high (only cracker in my 9th grade class) lived in the same kind of neighborhood...so...where would I get my sense of style? then take this blue eyed soul chick in her fishnets and bright colors and a wighat or 2 and throw her in a mostly white school of frats and greasers and hippies.... boy did i stick out! tried to identify hippy... didn't make it...girls couldn't wear pants until the year after i left... that's me....always on the edge...looking in...i DO appreciate when someone is able to create their "look" no matter what it is...as long as it "suits" them... i guess i always appreciated those that could be themselves in an outlandish mode...

midi's made it in the 60's for about a week... and i was right there! for a week.... never been back since.....

Posted by: the unicorn at November 13, 2007 7:15 AM

Grunge. Music, dressing, everything.

I listened to seventies music in the nineties. I was lame.

Posted by: Cassandra at November 13, 2007 7:41 AM

Oh, and now? I still pretend that I always thought Nirvana was cool.

Posted by: Cassandra at November 13, 2007 7:43 AM

Oh let me count the ways in which I was not cool! LOL - my mom was the same with namebrand stuff. Back in the day,I remember having knock-off shoes - and it was MORTIFYING! (Not because of the shoes, necessarily, but because someone pointed out that they were not "the shoes" - ack). I did later have a pair of Chucks in high school though - they were brick red. Loved those shoes. I dunno... There's lots of ways in which I was not like the herd - and while it all seemed so horrible at the time, all I can remember was those damn knock off shoes.

Posted by: Sarah at November 13, 2007 7:49 AM

In fifth grade, all the girls were hairspraying their bangs up into these ridiculously high wave like shapes. I had curly hair so I just couldn't do that but I got teased for it all the time. Secretly I thought they looked really stupid.

Posted by: Claire at November 13, 2007 7:50 AM

Hey Chris long time....I'd have to say smoking, Never tried it, never will..
And heck I thought I was the only goober on Earth that didn't watch Simpson's. That is until the movie came out then I was forced to watch it while my husband repeated, "You really never watched an episode"? Gosh how lame am I.
Have a great week!! YOUR CHUCKS ROCK!!!

Posted by: Jennifer at November 13, 2007 7:52 AM

I don't even know if I could count the ways in which I'm not cool ;-) I've never owned a pair of chucks either. Or followed any particular fashion trend. I'll just pretend that in itself makes me cool in a timeless sort of way :P

Posted by: Heather at November 13, 2007 7:55 AM

My mom wouldn't buy me Guess Jeans, either. Or Eastland shoes, for that matter.

I've never seen an entire episode of the Simpsons. Or an episode of Beverly Hills 90210 or In Living Color, which were THE shows to watch when I was in high school. We didn't get local tv--we were too far out in the country--and our satellite dish didn't get Fox.

Posted by: Alissa at November 13, 2007 7:58 AM

I can't stand pink floyd and am convinced people who do like them only like them because they think they should!
Apparently makes me VERY uncool!
Pol x

Posted by: Pol at November 13, 2007 8:06 AM

The only thing I can think of (because I am totally hip and have a pair of pink Chucks just like Mia's) is that I missed the reality show train. I don't watch any of it except for Big Brother, and that's because I secretly want to be on that show so I can tell everybody off. I don't ever get to be involved in water cooler conversations about what happened on "Dancing with the Stars" last night or anything.

And I win - I've only seen one episode of the Simpsons, and that was this past Sunday night.

Posted by: Stephanie at November 13, 2007 8:19 AM

Cell phones. I just don't see the all-encompassing bonus to owning a phone/iPod/computer/GPS/camera. And people who use them constantly....what is so important that you have to tell someone about it every hour?

I've never worn chucks, either, but sweet merciful jeebus, you've only seen 5 episodes of The Simpsons? Between that and the person commenting above about not being able to stand Pink Floyd, I feel like weeping openly.

Posted by: You can call me, 'Sir' at November 13, 2007 8:20 AM

I wore chucks before they were cool. They were the cheapest sneakers while I was growing up. My dad worked at Sears and got the discount or something. So I like to think that I started a trend.

Posted by: william at November 13, 2007 8:29 AM

My mom refused to buy brand names. We also didn't have a TV when I was in high school so I missed a number of shows most notably Northern Exposure which I still have never seen. I did own a a pair of Chucks back then (purchased with my money) but no one I knew was wearing them at the time. I just recently purchased my second pair, oh so many years later, and love them!

Posted by: wendy at November 13, 2007 8:42 AM

I have a full time job that require I get dressed up at least four days a week. By most adolescent standards, I am miles from cool. In High School we wore uniforms and for the most part I really was too shy to ask for the cool clothes. So I always felt like I was trying too hard.

I find clothing and shoe trends are hard to follow and really I don't like any of it. Explain to me slouch boots? And what's up with knickers and boots? Or capris with boots... It just looks, odd. Very odd. They looked awful in the 80s too.

Posted by: Nat at November 13, 2007 8:54 AM

i missed the whole way baggy, 6 sizes too big pants worn around you ass. that style, if you want to call it that, never appealed to me in any way. it looked so sloppy. i was still holding on to 80's/90's leather jackets and tight jeans. but i had the chucks. still do. its funny, cause I took the same exact pic of me and my kid that you posted today, but like 2 years ago. her with her pink chucks, me with my black. its on my flickr somewhere. i think....

Posted by: madmom at November 13, 2007 9:04 AM

I couldn't even talley the ways in which I am uncool. But to sum up, I was uncool in high school because I was trying to be like the 'headbangers' and I am sooo not a headbanger. In University I was cool for about three semesters, and now I am uncool again because I still dress like I did in University. I feel completely alien in a button down shirt and slacks (you've already mentioned how that word alone makes one feel about 80) with loafers on, but I'm too old to dress the way I do (jeans, sweaters, and yes... Chucks). So, I feel like a poseur dressing like I should, and I AM a poseur dressing like I do. Soooo uncool.

But good on you for the Chucks. They're the one thing that's remained a constant in my wardrobe these last 20 years. Never without a pair (or few) of Chucks. :)

Posted by: martin at November 13, 2007 9:11 AM

Back in school, I don't think there was a way in which I was NOT "not cool." My mother vetoed anything halfway fashionable. Now it's sort of scary to see what's making a comeback.

You know what I don't get now? The text messaging. And yes, I totally called it "the text messaging," like I'm your grandma or something. It just seems like a lot of damn work when I could just, I dunno, CALL the person.

Posted by: Fraulein N at November 13, 2007 9:19 AM

I was totally uncool in high school and didn't care. I proudly wore clothes from wal-mart, discount stores and *gasp* yard sales. My mom made half my clothes and it made me appreciate what I really wanted to do with my money.
How have I fared with the spawn? I have one who will wear nothing without a designer label, one who lives in camo, one who lives in t-shirts and shorts year round (yes we live in a four season state) and a little guy who thinks brown is his color (I'm sure he'll work for UPS one day).
I don't follow trends, I wear what looks good, what looks professional and what I want to wear. If that's out of fashion on any of those points, I don't give a rip.
Nice chucks.
I never, ever owned a pair.

Posted by: speck at November 13, 2007 9:28 AM

I think what made me most uncool was how oblivious to my uncoolness I really was! Sadly geeky. My mom actually tried to help me out here. She BOUGHT the Guess jeans. I had Chuck lookalikes because she didn't know that they were knockoffs, but I didn't know either, I guess. I was a danceline girl because I could dance, but I never got invited to the parties. Never knew about them until after the fact.

At the same time I was in AV club. And Accounting. Still haven't owned a pair of Chucks. But I've worn my daughter's several times. (She's 19.)

Posted by: Keri at November 13, 2007 9:28 AM

I've never seen the Simpsons or the Sopranos. I think Crocs are hideous.

Posted by: jodi at November 13, 2007 9:33 AM

My parents were completely square and cared little if their uncool notions of parenting scarred or embarrassed me. Plastic glasses instead of wire (because the hippies wore wire-frame). A hideous pixie cut because my mother didn't want to be bothered with our hair being long. Knee socks with dresses because I wasn't "grown" enough to wear hose until 8th grade and then? Only once per week. Very little makeup. Couldn't get my ears pierced until I was 15!! Gulag, you say? Yes...exactly that. And a very uncool one at that.

Posted by: wordgirl at November 13, 2007 9:59 AM

There is, apparently, a synergistic tie between you and I. Two weekends ago I went out and bought a pair of black Chucks as well - my first pair in over ten years. The wife was asking me if I was on some kind of retro trip.

Posted by: mr. big dubya at November 13, 2007 10:06 AM

I too have never owned a pair of Chucks, however this does not make me uncool I think. The fact that I never owned a Members Only jacket....that made me uncool.

I'm not sure if it's still in style at the moment, but the kids that used to wear the jeans that had leg holes that were 20-30" in diameter.

Posted by: Rex at November 13, 2007 10:09 AM

My knock-offs were Chucks, actually. Green plaid ones. I miss those shoes.

I can't believe you aren't a Simpsons watcher! I think you'd find them funny if you did watch.

The list of ways I am/was uncool is really very long. Probably too long for your comments. As for pop culture, I've never seen the movie Titanic. Everyone went on and on about it, and I eventually just decided I didn't want to see it.

Posted by: bad penguin at November 13, 2007 10:12 AM

I remember back in junior high when EVERYONE had Nikes but my mom refused to buy them for me because they cost $30. I guess that was a lot for tennis shoes in 1979.

Posted by: kalisah at November 13, 2007 10:19 AM

I owned a pair of pink Chucks in high school, but I was NOT cool. I had a mullet and a perm. At the same time. I was in band. I never owned designer ANYTHING.

I'm still not cool, but I do have two pairs of Chucks. And mercifully, my hair is neither permed NOR mullet-ed.

One of today's "cool" fads that I do NOT get is the whole oversized-pants-hangin-off-the-ass thing. What the hell? How is it cool to have your pants falling off?

Posted by: fw sunshine at November 13, 2007 10:29 AM

How am I not cool, let me count the ways...

My mama wouldn't buy me Jordache Jeans. I wasn't allowed to shave my legs (I had to sneak Dad's razor. Sorry Dad!). I had the off-brand chucks. I wasn't allowed to wear miniskirts (in the 80's), nor was I allowed to cut the skirt off and hem it myself. (I ultimately just put a bigassed hem in the skirt and took my lumps for THAT looking like crap)

Today? I'm the Mom of a Teen, so we all know just exactly HOW uncool I truly am.

Posted by: Emily at November 13, 2007 10:34 AM

Well, I've never jumped on the iPod bandwagon, which is crazy, but true. Since I began begging my husband for an iPhone, he has pointed out on numerous occasions that I don't talk on the phone much and I've never shown much interest in an iPod. Apparently just thinking something is "pretty and shiny" isn't reason enough to some to drop $400.

Posted by: She Likes Purple at November 13, 2007 10:47 AM

I don't think Seinfeld is funny and I don't enjoy The Beatles or The Rolling Stones. Everyone was on that bandwagon in high school and I just didn't get it.

Now? Hmm. Blogging Obsession? NO WAY - I'm TOTALLY for that!

Posted by: Holly at November 13, 2007 10:58 AM

Right with you on the "uncool in middle school" thing. In my town it was Jordache or Guess jeans for the girls, and Z Cavariccis for the guys. And I never got the "in" shoes (Keds) either. *sigh* Like yours, my family didn't have the cash to dress me in the clothes necessary to make me popular. So I wound up in with the stoner/headbanger crowd (though I didn't actually try the "stoner" part until college...go figure). The folks didn't care for that mode of dress either, but at least they could afford Goodwill jeans for me to rip holes in.

As for current pop culture that I don't get? That would be most of it. And I'm only 32! I don't get the Britney/Paris/Lindsay watching thing. I don't get why people pay $600 for a pair of sunglasses. I watch ONE television show (online), and almost zero movies. I don't get the appeal of reality shows. I don't even get the coolness factor of Chucks...how sad is that? This list could go on for days. Suffice to say I'm a hippie who was born too late. :)

Posted by: newtngirl at November 13, 2007 11:01 AM

I have fallen off the cool music bandwagon. That's my biggest regret. Somewhere in the '90s, when I was too busy having children, and the most popular cassette tape in my car was Peter Paul and Mommy Too, I just missed the entire 90s music scene, and I don't think I've ever caught back up. That makes me sad. I was always so cool and hip with music. Now...it's an effort.

Posted by: Candy at November 13, 2007 11:17 AM

I never had a pair of Jordache jeans either. My Mom refused to spend such money on jeans.

I missed the whole NKOTB thing too. Just never got what the big deal was, but that was probably because I was too busy being a 'Duranie'. *sigh*

And Grunge. Never got that either. I see all the time these kids who say Kurt Cobain is their hero. Huh?? What am I missing??

I have never gotten the Simpsons either.

Posted by: Jen at November 13, 2007 11:27 AM

I missed out on Chucks, but landed in the Doc Martens arena squarely.

I did a lot of fads, but they were all lame and I think I knew that at the time. By the time I was a junior in high school I just gave up and wore jeans, sneakers, and plain sweatshirts/t-shirts to school. I was much happier.

Posted by: Brad at November 13, 2007 11:33 AM

Funny cause i wore chucks constantly but was always on the outside looking in....lived in Malden MA where chucks were made. The converse outlet was just down the road and the imperfect sneakers were cheap cheap cheap...Noone wanted to wear them...everybody wanted Nike..funny now nike makes the chucks...still have a green pair of size 5 All Stars cant seem to throw away though.

Posted by: Kathy at November 13, 2007 11:54 AM

Guess and Esprit were the hot items when I was growing up. I had a TON of hand-me-downs from people whose parent bought them nice clothes, so I had a number of articles.

The thing was, I didn't really care. I've always dressed unconventionally, even when wearing trendy clothes.

As far as things I've missed, it would probably have to be music. My town has produced a number of acts that became rather well known, at some point, but there just isn't enough of a "scene" (why yes, I threw up on myself a bit there) to get involved with. At least if you want to avoid pretension, which is hard here. Dear god. We are drowning in it.

Posted by: rai at November 13, 2007 12:02 PM

My kid owns those same Chucks, and Chucks with glittery silver swirls, too. I heart them.

We were really, really poor when i was a kid, and ALL of my clothes were thrift store or hand me downs, and so I was always at least a year behind the fashion trend. I got to be known as the girl who was always retro, and after a few awful years of teasing, the kids started thinking I did it on purpose, that I was really, really cool. Like, in a way they couldn't understand, but they sort of liked.

Funny how that works.

Posted by: Mr Lady at November 13, 2007 12:10 PM

Funny how that works.

Posted by: Mr Lady at November 13, 2007 12:10 PM

Funny how that works.

Posted by: Mr Lady at November 13, 2007 12:10 PM

I totally missed the boat on the designer purse thing. While every female around here seems to be carrying around around a Coach (the lowest end, apparently) or a Louis Vuitton (one of the highest end), I was still carrying around something I picked up at Target. I just couldn't justify paying for something that costs as much as a brand new laptop.

That is no more though - since last Christmas hubby got me a Coach bag. Which is nice... but everyone knows I'm still quite ghetto since I pair it with a nice set of $5 flip flops.

Posted by: Rengirl at November 13, 2007 12:29 PM

We were too poor for everything however when the 80s hair bands were in so was I. I have this wild red hair that is out of control and it was great for the 80s however; its over now and I look like I'm stuck in the wrong decade. But I've looked like this forever.

Posted by: Chantel at November 13, 2007 1:12 PM

There is a long, long list of why I'm not cool, but speaking of Converse: I put off wearing Jack Purcells in high school because those were the shoes that all the Mormons wore. I'm not sure what I was avoiding because I really wanted them but... maybe I was afraid they'd beat me up? Not likely.

Also-- I'm going to see the Simpson movie tonight. I've seen more episodes than you, but I'm betting not a whole lot more. I'm taking steps to assert my coolness.

Posted by: b32 at November 13, 2007 1:13 PM

Love the pink Chucks! I need a pair of those!

Fads I followed: Hypercolor, colored Bongo jeans from Wet Seal (red, bright blue, green), flannel shirts, silk shirts, wearing two pairs of scrunchy socks in coordinating colors, skirts over leggings (back in style), jeans with zippers by the ankles, MC Hammar pants, a side ponytail.

Yet, I never was cool. How can that be?

Posted by: Janet at November 13, 2007 1:26 PM

When I was in junior high school, I used to wear my brother's hand-me-downs. I wasn't trying to make a statement... I just didn't care.

I looked like a moron.

Posted by: GreenCanary at November 13, 2007 2:05 PM

DUDE!!!! YOU GOT 'EM!!!

I dare say hers are cuter...

I never got into Mossimo or No Fear or Jncos.

I never understood MC Hammer pants (which had a more technical name).

I never understood skirts so short they hardly covered your ass.

I did crimp my hair. I had bangs that increased my overall height by at least six inches. I did wear two pairs of socks at once (one down low, one up high so you could see both). But those are things I never understood and try to forget. :P

I think it's so awesome that you got Chucks.

Posted by: Emily at November 13, 2007 2:23 PM

Love the family Chucks!!

I had a pair of Chucks, but they were far outshined by my Doc boots. I'm also squarely in the Guess-reject category. I used to scour consignment stores for them in junior high-- the only way my mom would swing for them. Like you, I also discovered the label dodge... good call, that.

I also missed the whole Hypercolor thing and (dating myself here) the long tee-shirt buckle thing. Remember, where girls would tuck a side of their untucked shirt into some enormous BeDazzled plastic buckle? Gack. Good on Mom for ignoring that one.

What I just simply cannot get into lately is the whole high-waisted shirt thing. (Or alternately the short-high-waisted-dress-over-pants thing.) Because, seriously people, unless the person is a stick they either look pregnant or just plain porky. I embrace either condition, honestly, but why go there if you don't have to, right? Thanks, I'll stick with tee-shirts and Docs.

Posted by: Sassy at November 13, 2007 2:43 PM

I didn't know they were called Chucks! I had a pair in my 30's. I wasn't cool in school either.

I don't get 'Muffin tops'. WHY do the young women these days think wearing low cut pants with their flab hanging over is attractive...just GROSS!

Posted by: been there, done that at November 13, 2007 4:13 PM

In elementary school all the cool girls wore either Jordache or Sergio Valenti jeans, sadly my mom hated the commercials and refused to buy them. I was forced to grow up wearing the less popular Sasson. That and jelly shoes, I never had jelly shoes, poor me.

Posted by: Shannon at November 13, 2007 5:47 PM

I'm uncool because I spent the entire Clinton presidency living in France.

Posted by: Alison at November 13, 2007 6:02 PM

Since we have already repurchased the pink chucks in Claudia's new size I am tempted to take this same picture.

Becuase, of course, I own black Chucks myself.

Also, thanks for calling me hip. I don't get that all that often.

Posted by: Sarah, Goon Squad Sarah at November 13, 2007 6:18 PM

And how am I unhip? Let me count the ways...

I was never into Lauryn Hill.
I never owned parachute pants.
I can't stomach "Amrican Idol" and I don't and never have watched "Survivor".
I don't even want anything made by Prada.

Posted by: Sarah Goon Squad Sarah at November 13, 2007 6:21 PM

I'm always unhip. And I'm wearing my Chucks today too. =)

Posted by: hannita at November 13, 2007 6:22 PM

All four of us wear chucks. My hubby has 3 pairs, I have 2 pairs (a pair of tapestry ones!!), my 5yr old daughter has 2 pairs, and my 2 yr old has 3 pairs.

I actually have family photos of all of our feet wearing chucks. Much better than a cheesy picture of all of us with fake smiles.

What fad did I miss? Wearing clothes with huge lettering advertising the brand name. Why do I want to walk around wearing a shirt that says "Nike" or "Gap" or whatever all over it? Unless the shirt was free, there is no reason I should be unpaid advertising for that company. I really don't get it.

Posted by: Jen at November 13, 2007 7:01 PM

I love toddler Chucks! Zoe's on her second pair at the ripe old age of 19 months. Besides being totally cool, they were the only shoes I could find to fit her fat feet at the time. I just wish I still had my 10-pair collection.

It's sad, and I'm probably not just uncool but a traitor to my generation - I don't get text messaging. I'm clearly technologically savvy, but TM'ing seems dumb to me. I've sent *one* in my lifetime and won't do it again.

Posted by: kate at November 13, 2007 10:06 PM

It's more that I tried fads and failed miserably.

Posted by: Aimee Greeblemonkey at November 13, 2007 10:28 PM

I hardly watch TV at all. We don't have cable. (Sometimes this makes me feel like an alien.)I never know who the people are on the tabloid covers, except for Brit, because even I am not THAT cut off. The Hub just bought a giant TV, but I think it was really just because of PlayStation 3.

Posted by: Sphincter at November 13, 2007 10:40 PM

I've never owned a pair of chucks either. I guess I'm a big ol' loser.
But guess jeans, I had those and some guess overalls, and the whole girbaud thing--been there done that and that is why I can't stand fashion today.

And uggs, I will never get those. :O

Posted by: Nanette at November 14, 2007 2:08 AM

When I was in high school the whole grunge thing was popular. No matter how hard I tried and no matter how much I wanted to, I just couldn't force myself to be "grunge like". I just didn't get it. I had to accept my fate as a pop/top 40 fan which, being in a high school of only 100, made me stand out like a sore thumb!

Posted by: Colleen at November 14, 2007 9:35 AM

I'm so uncool that I didn't know they were called Chucks. They were always basketball shoes. Or, gack, gym shoes.

Posted by: Becky at November 14, 2007 9:50 AM

Oh, and worn with white, knee-high gym socks. The ones with the stripes around the top.

Posted by: Becky at November 14, 2007 9:51 AM

i'm still uncool- i wear men's sorel boots for most of the winter, even when i have to get dressed up for formal functions. they are a horrible combination of dirt grey and dirty black, weigh about twenty million pounds each and make horrible clumping sound wherever i go, and i have to roll up my pants to an odd length to fit in them properly. however, my feet are never frozen.

and in high school? well, when your favourite musicians were kate bush and peter gabriel and david bowie and U2... well, needless to say i was never in on the cool music scene, that's for sure.

as for clothes, the first time i bought something new for myself was in my second year of university. hand-me-downs and the sally ann rule my life, so brand names are still some kind of weird holy grail in my head.

[the pink chucks on mia are awesome, by the by].

Posted by: meg at November 14, 2007 10:30 AM

Never understood:

The Simpsons
Family Guy
The Office (YES, I said it!)
Most reality TV

Always wanted:

Parachute pants
Some Seiko watch that was two-toned and very popular...

But I actually can't remember anything else I really coveted, but never owned. I'm sure there was more, it's not like we got everything we wanted...but I guess it just isn't important enough to take up space in my memory any longer. You know, like 87 million technology passwords I have to remember daily.

Posted by: Pammer at November 14, 2007 11:37 AM

Even I owned Chucks. And I was a DORK.

I've blogged about this way too much. I was also scarred. (I didn't know boys were going through this also.) Anyway, I never could get my mom to buy me a real Esprit bad. I had one that said MONDO on the side. Not sure what "mondo" was, but it sure as hell wasn't Esprit! That I know.

Posted by: Isabel at November 14, 2007 2:25 PM

I am still flabbergasted that you figured out a way to make non-guess jeans seem like real guess jeans. I saw people wearing the guess jeans where the tag fell off. I THOUGHT THEY WERE REAL. I cannot believe it. I could of been popular in Jr. High if I'd just known.
@#!*&^#@$!!!!
I'm speechless.

Posted by: Amy at November 15, 2007 1:05 AM

i'm the same age as you. it would have been a lot cooler and less traumatic if you had just bought chucks, skipped the guess altogether, stopped trying to be a part of the popular clique and joined the clique of kids hanging out smoking behind the school who listened to ac/dc.

i wish i had done this, but instead i did manage to convince my parents to buy me esprit, guess, and benetton, too. my life was no better for it! i was still a dork and unpopular nonetheless, and i can't even blame it on my clothes! i wish instead of spending time and money trying to fit in i would have spent it on buying and learning the guitar, and then by now i'd be a rock star.

Posted by: jen at November 15, 2007 6:50 AM

I LOVE the shoes! VERY cool!

Uncool.. hmmm. I never understood Frasier, The Simpsons (seen 5 of those, just like you), seen the same amount of episodes of Sex and the City and never got into Friends until.. it stopped! I do not get Crocs or Uggs. My ears hurt when I hear death metal music (or whatever the .. it is called). I do not get the thing people see in Amy Winehouse. She's a wreck.

Posted by: Nadine at November 15, 2007 10:48 AM

Those have to be the cutest shoes I've ever seen! (The pink ones, not the black. I guess I'm just partial to grown-up shoes in the ultra-tiny version.) :)

Posted by: Zandria at November 15, 2007 9:19 PM

The Guess jeans! Oh God, how I remember those. Those that I too did not ever get. I wasn't as creative as you were with the tag-fell-off-lie. Nope. In fact, I was just the geek that never had any designer clothes. Wait!?! I still don't! Boy... I need to find MYSELF some chucks. Or something.

Posted by: Bethany at November 20, 2007 1:07 AM

What would life be without the most successfull sneakers ever?

Posted by: Converse at December 18, 2007 5:37 AM

Well, one thing is that I got in the return of Chucks fashion craze long before everyone else did a few years ago. I even had friends asking me “what the heck are those?” and saying “they're ugly etc. etc.” Same friends were wanting to borrow my shoes only a few months later. Other than that, I've pretty much always been uncool. I used to wear black t-shirts with lumberjack collared shirts over them in the 90's. Ew. Not cool. Don't like to look back at those photos!

Posted by: vacuum cleaners at August 4, 2008 1:54 PM

omg, straight hair. my mom only just bought me a flat iron last year, and in middle school, I got teased something awful for having my long curly-ethnic hair in braids like a little kid. i had people i didn't even know telling me i needed a perm, and NONE of the boys wanted to date me. I was SUCH a nerd.

Posted by: Tai at July 25, 2009 5:12 PM

oh, and flava of luv. or however you spell it. I can't stand reality shows, and it seems idiotic to pick six total strangers and try to find true love in one of them.

besides flava flav is uglier than an elephants butt.

i say this with love.

Posted by: Tai at July 25, 2009 5:17 PM

Make your life time more simple take the credit loans and everything you need.

Posted by: ADELINE29Roth at August 7, 2011 8:56 AM