November 1, 2007

Halloween Part XXIV: The Aftermath

I am on The Record* as being staunchly anti-clown. Nothing is more disturbing to me than a grown man wearing clown makeup sporting a giant, squishy bulbous red nose. Except, quite possibly, spiders. Especially spiders wearing clown make up with giant, squishy bulbous red noses. I make one single solitary exception to this rule:

Because how can you not love that?

Halloween has come and gone and Mia has officially concluded her first ever round of trick-or-treating. She was tentative at first and I was concerned that she was going to psych herself out but after she'd conquered the first two houses, there was no stopping her. She was like a kid at, well, a candy store. Eventually, I let Mia and Beth soldier on into the night gathering candy from unsuspecting neighbors not previously warned of Mia's cuteness (and Beth's for that matter) while I returned home to hand out candy. We had witches, wizards, pirates, Princesses-Of-The-Year (whichever model Disney is currently pushing), Jedi Knights, a tree (which had me stumped - ha - for a second) and one rather tall, awkward looking teenage boy wearing normal street clothes and a long flowing wig. The concept was unclear but I gave him extra candy. That took balls.

We did somehow manage to get Mia off to bed after she'd consumed her bodyweight in candy. And now it's time for Thanksgiving.

* For The Record, The Record is, officially, this blog. Other blogs, pieces of paper, lists, shiny black or silver discs containing music, might claim to be The Record but be warned - they are not. The Record is a copyright of Rude Cactus Enterprises Limited, a division of Cactus-Fish Partners. Patent pending. So don't steal. That means you. Yeah, you.

Posted by Chris at November 1, 2007 6:25 AM
Comments

If all clowns were as cute as Mia, I would not have an aversion to them either! Adorable!

Posted by: Lisa at November 1, 2007 8:05 AM

Now that is a perfect little clown! So glad to hear that she had a great Halloween!

Posted by: Maribeth at November 1, 2007 8:21 AM

What an awesome clown costume! Mia is adorable, as always.

We saw *so* many pirates, and a fair share of princesses. Not only did we NOT see any other animal costumes (I had a monkey and a leopard--pics on my blog if you're interested) I don't think I saw any other homemade costumes.

I did, however, see a group of teenagers in full costume out trick-or-treating. They seemed to be doing well, as their candy bags were bulging!

Posted by: Alissa at November 1, 2007 8:23 AM

I join you in your dislike of clowns and all things clownish... BUT...........
this is the best clown I have ever seen!!!! If all clowns looked like that I would like them as much as Godiva's and the Red Sox...

Posted by: Stephanie at November 1, 2007 8:28 AM

I especially like the coordinating shoes.

Posted by: daisy at November 1, 2007 9:00 AM

I agree with you the next official holiday is Thanksgiving but I agree more with certain Pittsburgh area radio personalities that believe the next real holiday is Monday Night Football. : )

And Mia is the cutest little kid ever. She's the reason I'm not sure if I want kids. What if they weren't that adorable?!

Posted by: Arwen at November 1, 2007 9:18 AM

I had a pirate and a killer zombie. They pretty much designed their own costumes this year and just needed help with the makeup. I do miss their cute "non-psychotic" costumes though.

Posted by: Susan at November 1, 2007 9:18 AM

She looks great.

Posted by: William at November 1, 2007 9:20 AM

Cute! Almost makes me want to go to the circus ... until I remember that most clowns don't look like that.

Posted by: Fraulein N at November 1, 2007 9:29 AM

Adorable as always. I personally don't fear clowns, but if I did, who could fear her?

I wasn't able to hand out candy as I had to head out to class in full costume, hey extra credit is extra credit, but my mother regaled me with stories of pirates, demons, chickens, superheroes, and even a Wednesday.

Posted by: Jamie at November 1, 2007 9:33 AM

In general, clowns are so terrifying that they make for perfectly gruesome Halloween costumes. However, Mia is far too adorable to be scary. What a great costume!

Posted by: Kelly at November 1, 2007 9:36 AM

I second you on the clown and spider fear...separately horrifying, together I can't even think of the words.

But this particular cute clown in your house could help me get over the clown fear!

Posted by: diane at November 1, 2007 9:37 AM

Clowns and spiders? So Stephen King's "It" must have really sent you over the edge.

She looks adorable. We did not have a single trick or treater this year. We have a long driveway and kids are getting lazier. Why climb the driveway if the house next door is easier. Sheesh.

Posted by: Candy at November 1, 2007 9:43 AM

We had ridiculously low numbers of kids this year, maybe 13 total. How many did you have? Please reassure me that Halloween is only dying in MY
neighbourhood.

Posted by: Claire at November 1, 2007 9:49 AM

so, so cute.

For the record, My Kid was a clown his first year trick-or-treating too.

Posted by: kalisah at November 1, 2007 9:55 AM

I am also not a fan of clowns, but clearly Mia IS the exception. She's so cute! Glad she conquered trick or treating.

Posted by: bad penguin at November 1, 2007 10:22 AM

You need to warn people before posting pictures with that kind of 'cute' involved. It can potentially cause momentary paralysis.

Posted by: You can call me, 'Sir' at November 1, 2007 10:26 AM

She's adorable!!

Posted by: ann adams at November 1, 2007 10:29 AM

i'm impressed you got her to be something other than a princess.
Isabella was already wearing her snow white costume ON TOP of her cinderella costume when i got home from work yesterday!!

Posted by: ali at November 1, 2007 10:41 AM

That might just get me over my hatred of clowns. Now when I think clown I can think of Mia in all her clowny cuteness and not that evil Pennywise from Stephen King's It.

Posted by: donna at November 1, 2007 10:42 AM

I went one step further in the fear department... I dressed Zoe as a spider. But, for an awful creepy 8 legged ick... she was awfully cute. heehee

Posted by: Colleen at November 1, 2007 10:50 AM

I am also very anti-clown, although, I was one for Halloween myself when I was about 4 for some reason... I'm guessing my mom just thought it was an easy costume to make.

However, I will make an exception to my anti-clown-ness for Mia... she is very adorable and not at all creepy.

Posted by: Stephanie at November 1, 2007 10:54 AM

You've got to hand it to her... she pulled off the cute clown very nicely. Very well done.

We took lil' Texas out last night with the same results. After she got the first house under her belt there was no stopping her. Watching your children's epiphanies are a vonderful vonderment...

arhh gaaaruush....

Posted by: Johnny " in Supense" Smoke at November 1, 2007 10:55 AM

That is the.most.adorable.evah You should enter that into a contest or something! Too freaking cute!

Posted by: Michelle at November 1, 2007 10:55 AM

I have never, not once, said what I'm about to say as anti-clown doesn't begin to describe my stance, but:

That is one cute clown.

Posted by: Jennie at November 1, 2007 11:05 AM

Oh god. The cuteness! Mia makes one great clown. Hats off to whoever made (or purchased) that costume.

Posted by: GreenCanary at November 1, 2007 11:21 AM

Oh, sweet mother! What a cutie! You know what, minus the hoop in the bottom of the dress, the pom poms and the wig, I would totally dress Little Sis in this to wear to daycare.

She is so adorable!

Posted by: zanie at November 1, 2007 11:56 AM

Clowns are some creepy mofos. But that one is damn cute.

Posted by: Sphincter at November 1, 2007 12:07 PM

She's a bright as a gumball and looks as sweet as a piece of candy! I'm not a fan of clowns either, but this pic could change my mind.

Posted by: wordgirl at November 1, 2007 12:11 PM

Very lovely clown! I took my vampire and vampire ghost out trick-or-treating last night while the girls' dad shelled out the candy. Saw a lot of little Jack Sparrows, a fair number of princesses, lots of cats. No clowns though. And one group of teenagers in passable costumes. One really made us laugh though. I think he was going for Jason from Friday the Thirteenth, but the effect was spoiled somewhat by the fact he was wearing a really modern over-the-whole-head goalie mask with a full face cage and the thingie that dangles down to protect the throat. Not much like the original, but we gave him points for trying. And candy.

Posted by: alison at November 1, 2007 12:32 PM

Oh, her shoes are killing me!

Posted by: Alison at November 1, 2007 12:48 PM

My gosh, she is freaking adorable!

Posted by: Dianna at November 1, 2007 1:51 PM

Mia was sooooooo cute! You are way funny, you should seriously consider writing a book :))) You could write one based on your public restroom experiences alone!

Posted by: Shannon at November 1, 2007 1:53 PM

She is the cutest clown that has ever clowned the Earth.

Posted by: Rengirl at November 1, 2007 1:58 PM

the most adorable clown I've ever seen!

Posted by: betty at November 1, 2007 2:00 PM

Oh My GAWWWSH, that is the cutest clown EVAR!!!

Posted by: Aurora at November 1, 2007 2:21 PM

yeah, (un)fortunately my daughter never got over the satge fright and only made it to a couple of doors. so, i'm left to sift through about 6 pieces of candy. i was suposed to be eating candy for a month.

(sigh) better luck next year.

Posted by: struglas at November 1, 2007 2:31 PM

Baby Chuck Taylors! OMG, we match. Well - except hers are smaller and pink. And she has on a (totally freaking cute) clown costume while I chose to rock my Chuck's with blue jeans.

(Not as appealing, I realize.)

Posted by: Emily at November 1, 2007 2:37 PM

We had two black cats this year....which was refreshing amongst the massive wave of pirates and princesses that we ran into out there last night.

Izzy (she just turned two last week) was a bit reluctant at the first few houses, but then she realized that being the youngest (and cutest) trick-or-treater out meant that the little old ladies were giving her 3-4 pieces of candy instead of 1-2 like the other kids. She was running up those front walks as fast as those little tiny legs would carry her. She even managed to take time to pet every single dog that the homeowners had, along with meowing to them. It was awesome.

Posted by: JEn at November 1, 2007 3:13 PM

Now, aren't you sorry that you were so rude and insulting about that costume when I found it? Yeah, I thought you were.

Posted by: Mrs. Cactus at November 1, 2007 4:20 PM

Too cute! She makes a lovely clown!

Posted by: Karen at November 1, 2007 4:25 PM

That is, without a doubt, the cutest clown ever!

Although the fact that she's straight and the rest of the room is tilted is kind of weirding me out. ;)

Posted by: Tink at November 1, 2007 4:44 PM

That is adorable! simply....

Posted by: been there, done that at November 1, 2007 5:26 PM

Oh dude, I thought there was no way you would have a cuter pic than the adorable ones Beth posted. But wow, I think you did. So. Very. Cute.

Posted by: Teenuh at November 1, 2007 6:25 PM

Please make it known that I, too, am on The Record (of this blog and my own blog) as having a serious dislike of clowns. Except, of course, Mia the Clown. She's so darn cute I just want to eat her up, clown costume and all. (And no, I'm not sick and twisted. She's just so damn cute!!!)

Posted by: ironic1 at November 1, 2007 7:20 PM

oh dear.
she's too cute.
i woulda given her all my candy....

Posted by: kimmyk at November 1, 2007 7:37 PM

Oh My Lord. I can't even stand it. Those leggings! The pink shoes! The facial expression!

So damn cute it shouldn't even be legal.

Posted by: samantha Jo Campen at November 1, 2007 9:05 PM

re: clowns

whatever you do, don't look at today's post over at my place... I have warned you.

Posted by: SciFi Dad at November 1, 2007 10:27 PM

I am ascared of clowns...but this one is ADORABLE!
Glad she had a great time and even was able to sleep after! : ) I miss my babies! Oh such fun times!

Posted by: gypsy at November 1, 2007 11:03 PM

That is one sweet clown.

Posted by: Annie, The Evil Queen at November 1, 2007 11:29 PM

She looks so cute. Great costume!

Posted by: Stephanie at November 1, 2007 11:40 PM

Ok, fine. She's cute, darnit.

Posted by: laura at November 2, 2007 11:42 AM

That costume is the most adorable clown I have ever seen. Chris your daughter is so precious!!

Posted by: Tammy at November 4, 2007 6:32 PM

She's changing my position on clowns too.

Posted by: Aimee Greeblemonkey at November 4, 2007 11:28 PM

Every body admits that modern life is expensive, however we require money for different things and not every man gets big sums money. Therefore to receive quick personal loans or just car loan would be a correct solution.

Posted by: PUGHCHERI at January 19, 2011 9:55 PM