November 8, 2007

The Little Things

This week has been much better than last. For one, I haven't worked my ass off. I checked. It's started to grow back. This week I've been much more optimistic about my prospects for good days. Granted, it's been darker and colder and tougher to get out of bed but once I'm dressed and out of the house, I'm good to go. A good cup of coffee might start the day right, maybe a nice email from one of you when I boot up in the morning. But sometimes, it just takes a little more. I need a sign.

Look! New urinal cakes at the office!

noname2.jpg

It's going to be a good day!

Oh, and speaking of pee, I have a serious question. Peeing in the shower - ew, that's seriously wrong or what's the big deal?

Posted by Chris at November 8, 2007 7:22 AM
Comments

You're so weird :P (From me? That is totally a compliment.)

Posted by: Heather at November 8, 2007 7:37 AM

You're so weird :P (From me? That is totally a compliment.)
I think that peeing in the shower is gross. Granted, urine is supposedly sanitary, but I really don't think that means you should be adding to the bacteria breeding ground that is the warm damp of your shower. You're supposed to be getting CLEAN for heaven's sakes. And there's a toilet not two feet away. Do you really want to stand in it?? (Note: all "you"s are general, and do not refer specifically to The Cactus.) (And wow, if you were going to name your penis, that'd be a right scary name.)

Posted by: Heather at November 8, 2007 7:38 AM

It depends where you do it and when. Since the shower drain is connected to the same discharge pipe as the toilets, there's no contamination issue. So, it boils down to where and when. If you're producing a clear stream straight into the drain opening, you're good whenever. If you're not aiming, you need to do it early enough in the shower to rinse off the residue before you stop running the water.

OK, I probably gave that too much thought, didn't I?

Posted by: SciFi Dad at November 8, 2007 7:41 AM

Truly it's the little things in life that make us happy eh?

Contamination issues aside I just think it's tres gross. Tres tres gross. Double so if, like us, you have a shower/bath combo. Ew...

Posted by: Nat at November 8, 2007 7:54 AM

Honestly? I personally wouldn't do it, but I don't really think it's all *that* awful. I mean, not as long as the hot water runs for a good long time after. It rinses it all down the drain, right? And you're washing with soap, right? It's a little icky, but I can definitely think of things that are way, way more gross.

Posted by: Alissa at November 8, 2007 8:04 AM

To answer your question, I must quote Seinfeld.

ELAINE: Why couldn't you just wait?
GEORGE: I was there! I saw a drain!
ELAINE: Since when is a drain a toilet?!
GEORGE: It's all pipes! What's the difference?!
ELAINE: Different pipes go to different places! You're gonna mix 'em up!
GEORGE: I'll call a plumber right now!
JERRY: Alright, can we just drop all the pee-pipe stuff here?

I side with George on this issue.

Posted by: Jen at November 8, 2007 8:25 AM

I guess I'm in the minority to say- what's the big deal. Why waste a flush (especially in this drought) when I can pee in the shower. Who cares- it all goes to the same place and you wash yourself off anyway. This of course is in your own HOME shower...not in public. That's just wrong.

Posted by: Greta at November 8, 2007 8:45 AM

I personally wouldn't do it but I don't think it's a big deal.

But, if someone only has a bathtub/shower combo I would say ew because sometimes I like to lounge in the bathrub and I would hate to think I was laying where someone peed.

Posted by: Jennifer at November 8, 2007 8:52 AM

I say it is no big deal if it is done at the beginning of the shower.

Posted by: Maria at November 8, 2007 8:52 AM

I am also a what's the big dealer...

Posted by: Leah at November 8, 2007 8:59 AM

It's wrong, and so is hacking up yucky stuff and spitting it out in the shower.

Posted by: alfredsmom at November 8, 2007 9:05 AM

That's how I start my mornings out...shoot two birds with one stone! ;-)

Posted by: Tera at November 8, 2007 9:05 AM

OMG. I am SO giggling over the fact that you, ya know, had your camera and went into the bathroom and took a picture b/c aren't you the one who always tells strange bathroom stories!? It would make me laugh out loud to see a man walking into the bathroom with a camera (I would also wonder what is going on in there...) I digress.

No big deal... I am all environmental 'n shit ;)

Posted by: Christina at November 8, 2007 9:06 AM

I don't see the big deal. Seems like even when I go immediately before getting in the shower, that hot water make me have to again a little. But yeah, that hot water washes it all away and the waste water from showers and toilets go to the same place. Why waste a flush?

I can't believe I just had this discussion in "public".

Posted by: donna at November 8, 2007 9:09 AM

I completely agree with "why waste a flush".
Actually, since soap is also going down the drain, it is immediatly getting cleaner than the toilet.
A question...what does a urinal cake actually do? I have wondered...

Posted by: diane at November 8, 2007 9:15 AM

Peeing in the shower is wrong. So is blowing your nose in the shower, and brushing your teeth in the shower.

Posted by: Sphincter at November 8, 2007 9:17 AM

Seriously wrong in community showers; no big deal in your own. The pipes underneath the house lead to the same place.

Caveat: Seriously wrong if you're in your shower with someone else.

Posted by: You can call me, 'Sir' at November 8, 2007 9:25 AM

I've peed in the shower twice now as part of my mid-life crisis. I don't want to hear it's okay.

Posted by: TheQueen at November 8, 2007 9:32 AM

I've peed in the shower twice now as part of my mid-life crisis rebellion. I don't want to hear it's okay.

Posted by: TheQueen at November 8, 2007 9:32 AM

Peeing in shower good for 2 reasons. (1) It saves water as you don't need to flush and (2) it's the only time us girls get to pee standing up.

Posted by: Loth at November 8, 2007 9:32 AM

So I wonder if there's some other blog entry out there on the internet today that, thanks to you, says: "So, I walked into the office bathroom today, and standing there was a guy taking pictures of the new urinal cakes..."

And I'm in the "ew, that's seriously wrong" camp.

Posted by: Jenn at November 8, 2007 9:34 AM

I am not even going to ask why you had your camera in teh restroom.
I do not want to know.

Posted by: tuesday at November 8, 2007 9:47 AM

No peeing in the shower. Ever. Ew wrong gross no.

Posted by: Fraulein N at November 8, 2007 9:48 AM

If you're the only person who uses that shower, fine, but that's rarely the case. I say no peeing in the family shower.

Posted by: Brad at November 8, 2007 9:48 AM

Peeing in the shower is gross, but my husband and son do it every morning. I seem powerless to stop it.

Posted by: Candy at November 8, 2007 10:00 AM

No big deal whatsoever. It's all water, urine is sterile, the pipes all go to the same place. Plus, there's no toilet near our shower, so... Not like I didn't do it before now, but now that I have a kid, bathroom functions just don't have the same impact they might have once. :)

Posted by: Nathan Pralle at November 8, 2007 10:16 AM

I enjoy peeing in the shower. (Ok, so I'm a little quirky.)

Posted by: Poppy at November 8, 2007 10:19 AM

Has anyone ever died from it?

Didn't think so.

A mom of five I have learned there are way worse things.

Posted by: BID at November 8, 2007 10:35 AM

I am going to have to get into the "fine in your own shower, wrong in public showers" camp.

Posted by: lorien at November 8, 2007 10:37 AM

I haven't done it on purpose yet.

As for the men in my life, I operate on the don't ask, don't tell policy. If I don't know about it, it's one less thing to rant about. It leaves me to worry about the important things like replacing the toilet paper and peeing into, not around, the toilet. Given the choice, I'd rather have them peeing in the shower.

Posted by: ann adams at November 8, 2007 10:49 AM

Dude - totally wrong! No peeing in the shower. I don't care if the stuff IS sterile. It is just all over wrong.

Posted by: Charlise at November 8, 2007 10:53 AM

It's not my first choice, for sure, but if I'm in the shower and I really have to go (especially if I'm at the gym where the toilet is a bit more than two feet away and I can't exactly make a naked run for it)? Well, then I go. A little extra washing (which I was doing anyway) and it's all OK.

Posted by: Dawn at November 8, 2007 11:02 AM

SO not a big deal...

Posted by: ali at November 8, 2007 11:10 AM

Thanks I never get to see urinal cakes now I know what I am not missing!

As for peeing in the shower it depends; if your in the shower with someone so totally gross and unexceptionable! If however, your solo by all means go ahead you're going to wash it away anyway and you save water and toilet tissue at the same time it's a "green" act, Al Gore would be proud! Also, on a plus side for me being a chic 'n all it is rather liberating to pee while standing! TMI? yeah I know but that is the mood I am in, if you want to know any other gross information about me let me know and I'll totally post it all over the internet!

Posted by: Regina at November 8, 2007 11:12 AM

All the best reasons have already been given, but I'll quote them anyway.
1. Saves a flush!
2. It's sterile, for heaven's sakes!
3. I get to pee standing up!
4. The running water makes me need to pee, even if I just went before getting in.
5. Caveat: shower partners tend to frown on this, so only if you're flying solo.

But then, this is coming from a girl who can (and has!) pee(d) *anywhere.* Middle of the woods, off the side of a sailboat, down the side of a desert ravine, you name it. So maybe I'm a little too hippie for my vote to count. :)

Posted by: newtngirl at November 8, 2007 11:15 AM

Peeing in the shower is OK only for pregnant women in their third (or sometimes second) trimester. Honestly, I would have had to hop out and go to the toilet dripping wet twice during every shower otherwise.

Posted by: Karen at November 8, 2007 11:22 AM

At some point in my life, I was told that people who pee in the shower are less likely to get athlete's foot and other foot cooties . . . so that would place me in the "no big deal" camp. The caveats being 1)early in the shower, rinse rinse rinse 2)only when showering solo

Posted by: Betti at November 8, 2007 11:31 AM

Actually, we refer to suspect personalities or people we dislike as "the kind of guy who gets out of the shower to pee."

Posted by: janewilk at November 8, 2007 11:38 AM

What's the big deal? It's sterile, it washes off, and you automatically wash your hands afterwards. It's not something I would ever do in front of other people, but I do it alone almost every day.

Oddly, I had to convince my husband that it was ok.

Posted by: Becky at November 8, 2007 11:55 AM

Peeing in the shower --> No big deal. Pee away!

Posted by: GreenCanary at November 8, 2007 12:07 PM

You took your camera into your office bathroom? Or your cell phone?

Either way, I would have paid to have been a fly on the wall if someone were to walk in on you. : )

Posted by: Arwen at November 8, 2007 12:31 PM

No big dealer here- toilet paper got nothing on warm hot water with bar of soap on side!

Posted by: Amy at November 8, 2007 1:12 PM

Um, no big deal. And it totally cracks me up that someone with the chosen name of "Sphincter" is so vehemently opposed. I'm with newtngirl all the way.

Posted by: Amy at November 8, 2007 1:51 PM

Okay. Peeing in the shower.

If you're a guy, I can see how this is no big thing. You can aim for the drain, it's all kosher, whatever, pee where ever, I don't care.

However, if you're a girl? You're basically peeing all over yourself. I don't care if urine is sterile. You're peeing. All over. Yourself. I don't care that you're in the shower and you're clean.

You. Are. Peeing. On. Your. Self.

Posted by: Cassandra at November 8, 2007 4:05 PM

People who don't pee in the shower worry me. It's the single most perfect place to pee.

(I do have very good aim, though...two brothers :))

Posted by: Mr Lady at November 8, 2007 6:46 PM

In fact, sometimes, when I have the time and the means, I pee in the shower even if I'm not showering, just to work on my mad aiming skilz.

Perhaps I've revealed too much.

Posted by: Mr Lady at November 8, 2007 6:49 PM

Totally no big deal as long as it's not a public shower (like at the gym or something). You'll get cleaner than with toilet paper, urine is sterile, and you aren't wasting TP OR the 5 or so gallons of water it would take to flush.

Clean AND enviornmental. Two thumbs up!

P.S. I'm a girl and I make it down the drain--not all over myself at all.

Posted by: samantha Jo Campen at November 8, 2007 8:09 PM

It's not nasty, but at the same time it is. It's a no for me, simply because other people use the shower including my daughter who by the way squats and pee's every time I put her in there.

Posted by: at November 8, 2007 8:54 PM

No big deal... You've got soap and plenty of (hopefully warm) water, so just aim properly and you're good to go! By the way, just for the record, I don't end up peeing on myself. It's all about the stance! Location, location, location.

Posted by: ironic1 at November 8, 2007 9:40 PM

What's the big deal. My bladder is so weak that when I hear that running water, it's hopeless. It doesn't happen often, but once in a while... And it's not fun jumping out dripping wet to use the toilet.

Posted by: Nila at November 9, 2007 12:51 AM

Urinal cakes! Yay, I wondered if you just interest in them ;)

I'm sitting here with Tim on my lap. He looks at the picture and says "Daddy!!" I have NO idea how he links that picture to his daddy.

Peeing in the shower? Is smelly and I've heard it's (inhaling the fumes, ewww) unhealthy.

Posted by: Nadine at November 9, 2007 2:31 AM

Do big deal. But I'm confuse with the picture, maybe I haven't seen enough urinals. I can't figure out what that is. Explain please. :-)

Posted by: been there, done that at November 9, 2007 11:41 AM

Heheh, someone named "Sphincter" thinks peeing in the shower is wrong.

I think it's no big deal, especially at the beginning of a shower.

Posted by: Alison at November 9, 2007 12:47 PM

No big deal (as long as you are alone and in your own shower).

Posted by: Janet at November 9, 2007 3:40 PM

What's the big deal? Yes, I'm gross like that, and I blow my nose in the shower too. Ewwww. :)

Posted by: Nanette at November 9, 2007 5:42 PM

WOW. You did NOT just post a close up photo of a urinal cake. You didn't!!!!

And I am anti-shower-peeing.

Posted by: Librarian Girl at November 9, 2007 7:17 PM

Single mom with three kids. The only time I get to pee in private is in the shower.

The kids bath in a different bathroom. I don't pee in their bathtub.

Posted by: Stephanie at November 10, 2007 3:00 PM

ew, seriously wrong. I take baths in there!

Posted by: Amaya at November 12, 2007 4:41 PM