November 27, 2007

The Bumblebee Toy

Over the past week or so, we officially opened Mia's eyes to the wonder that is Christmas...and Santa Claus. Last year she was just a bit too young to fully appreciate it. And, sadly, a bit too sick to enjoy the holiday when it eventually arrived (cross your fingers for healthy kids this Christmas, please?). She's got the whole story down - the letters to the North Pole, Santa's list of girls and boys and the toys they want, sleighs, and the whole reindeer thing.

Yet for us there's something of a mystery this holiday season. Immediately after discussing Santa (and I'm talking seconds, not minutes or hours) for the first time, she proclaimed that he was going to bring her a bumblebee toy. This wouldn't be a problem if Beth and I had any clue what she was talking about. But she's adamant. And we're clueless.

We've leafed through all her books. She watches very little television but we've sailed through the handful of Backyardigans and Little Einsteins episodes she likes. We've scoured the internet, paying particular attention to the entire selection of toys available from Amazon. And? Nothing.

Therefore, dear internets, I have two questions for you, as I'm hopeful that several hundred minds are better than our two.

Question 1. What the heck is my daughter talking about? Now, some of your kids have actually played with my kid. Do you own such a thing? Anyone have any good guesses?

Question 2. What do you want for Christmas (or Hanukkah or Kwanzaa or Festivus or whatever seasonable holiday you happen to celebrate)?

Posted by Chris at November 27, 2007 6:36 AM
Comments

Humble bidet. Sorry. I don't know why I'm up this early (PST) either.

Posted by: bhd at November 27, 2007 6:49 AM

I wonder if she's talking about The Bee Movie toys that were at McDonald's?

Posted by: debra at November 27, 2007 6:58 AM

I wonder if she is talking about that Playschool Honeybee Hop thing...I think that is what it is called.

I want it all! =)

Posted by: Heather at November 27, 2007 7:20 AM

No ideas here, sorry! I looked up the Playskool one though, and it says 36mo-5 years? $14.99, so that's decent, but if it's too old for her that's no fun :(
For me...there's a bunch of things I want, like a Rebel XTi, but they're too big for anyone to get me. So mostly I'll just get money, which is great, and will help me pay for this fancy new laptop I bought myself.

Posted by: Heather at November 27, 2007 7:33 AM

I have no idea what your daughter is on about. Sorry.

As for me, all I want for Christmas is Guitar Hero III for the Wii. And no one believes me. But seriously, if that's the only thing under the tree for me this year, I'd be one happy gal.

Posted by: suze at November 27, 2007 7:59 AM

Might she have seen an ad for The Bee Movie?

Posted by: Karen at November 27, 2007 8:04 AM

When the boys were younger, they had this plastic beehive with little bees in it, and when you pressed down on the top all the bees spun around. It was a baby toy, but it's the only bee toy I can think of. Unless she's seen the previews for Bee Movie? Or maybe that bee in the allergy commercials?

I would like a 10-22mm lens for my camera. Not likely that I'll get it, but a girl can dream, right?

Posted by: Alissa at November 27, 2007 8:05 AM

She totally wants Bumble bee from The Transformers movie....what. it could happen.

Posted by: shannon at November 27, 2007 8:29 AM

Perhaps you could get someone to ask her? Tell, let's say Grandma, to ask her what she wants Santa to bring her for Christmas. And then when Mia says a bumblebee toy, Grandma can say "What? I'm old, and unhip. Tell me what this bumblebee toy you speak of is." Then you can figure out if Mia saw a real toy ant wants it, or if she just all of a sudden thinks bumblebees are cool, and that a toy should exist.

Posted by: Cassandra at November 27, 2007 8:33 AM

A few bumblebee toys come up on UK Google, the most popular being a deluxe Transformer. Or there's a soft bumblebee.

I'm not sure what I want, just had a birthday, books and jewellery are always good.

Posted by: Katherine at November 27, 2007 8:33 AM

Bumblebee? I got nothin'. Although the Bee Movie sounds plausible.

What do I want? More time. A way to go back to school. And a silicone oven mitt.

I figure I will get one of these.

Posted by: intergalactic at November 27, 2007 8:38 AM

All five of my darlings have been through stages where they talk about something totally off the wall and it turns out it's actually not even called whatever it is they are calling it.

My youngest is always saying he "wants to go home" even when he is home! They say some strange stuff sometimes. Just roll with it.

Posted by: BID at November 27, 2007 8:44 AM

I think she wants an actual Bumble bee. For a pet. You know glass jar with holes in the lid.

I think it would be perfect.

Posted by: william at November 27, 2007 8:51 AM

Can't you come up with a story that you need to get a picture of that thing for Santa so that he knows what he should get her? She'd draw it...and technically, it's not a lie either and it would be a great fun.

I'd want to spend more time with my girlfriend, but one can't just wrap that one in a box...

Since there was an inspiration, I'd like to get 50mm 1.4 Nikon lens...

Posted by: Alex at November 27, 2007 8:53 AM

I think she actually wants a real bumble bee for a pet. You know a glass jar with holes in the top and a bee jusy crawling around. Cheap gift.

Or maybe she wants BumbleBEE TUNA and not "TOY"

Posted by: william at November 27, 2007 8:53 AM

For Christmas, I am hoping Santa will bring me a MacBook and the latest Adobe Photoshop Software... Can you put in a good word with the Jolliest of Elves... I have been REALLY good I promise...
I am giving my WHOLE family the gift they have been asking for!!!

Posted by: Stephanie at November 27, 2007 8:55 AM

My vote is for the Bee movie toys from McDonald's. My daughter has one of the bumblebee and one of the grasshopper, and loves to pretend they're going on adventures together. She says they came from Old MacDonald's eat place.

Of course, now they've moved on to Christmas-themed Shrek 3 toys (as you can see, I keep a close watch on what the kids' meals at various places provide at any given time), so it'd probably be hard to find one of the Bee movie toys if you're not going through some sort of secondhand route.

Posted by: Ross at November 27, 2007 9:05 AM

I think your commenters who talked about the movie and McDonalds were right. I've been seeing a t.v. ad lately. I'll try to pay a little closer attention.

Chris, kids could be locked away on a desert island with no outside communication and still they'd hear about these things. You might as well resign yourself.

Adults in my family don't usually do gifts so I haven't given them any thought this year.

Posted by: ann adams at November 27, 2007 9:14 AM

I too thought it might be from the Bee Movie commercial she had seen......one year, we were asked for a "special box" from our 3 yr old daughter. There was also the year she wanted to buy her father "a polkadot" for his birthday. This year; however, she wanted to buy him a ShopVac for Christmas. It does get easier!

Posted by: Jen at November 27, 2007 9:19 AM

Maybe you're looking too deep into it and all she wants is a bumblebee toy--anything that is a bumblebee might do the trick.

I want an MP3 player for Christmas.

Posted by: Susan at November 27, 2007 9:35 AM

i'm going to go with something Bee Movie-ish...probably. but who knows with toddlers...

Posted by: ali at November 27, 2007 9:56 AM

First thing that came to my mind were the characters from the Bee movie, which I have to admit is something I sort of want :) Other than that, I have no idea! Good luck!

Posted by: Colleen at November 27, 2007 10:00 AM

I was thinking that Bee Movie as well, but this also made me think of the busy bee toy from the movie Best In Show. :D

(Please don't get Mia a dog toy. :)

Posted by: Poppy at November 27, 2007 10:06 AM

What about this:
Or this:
or this:
or this:

Kay, I will stop. I would have to agree with other folks - some bee movie related. The ads are pretty interesting. I would just tell her that Santa needs to know more about the bumble bee toy and see if she gives you some hints. Matthew was fairly easy - a train.

I do not really want anything specific this year. I just love watching Matthew's wonder over Christmas evolve - that has been the best part of all the past three years!

Posted by: Christina at November 27, 2007 10:18 AM

I vote that she saw an ad for the Bumblebee movie. Those bees are rather cute. The transformers are scary. Target has a remote controled bumblebee for under $20. Toys r Us has a Bumble Bee costume that you could get for her to dress her dolls in. There is a Barry from the Bee Movie available. When you do your search, search for "Bumble Bee." The single word search yielded transformers, but the two word search brought up the ones I mentioned plus a few more. If you would like links, let me know and I will email them to you.

I'm in a pissy mood today, so what I want for Christmas at this moment is to be left alone. Scrooge, anyone? :-)

Posted by: Maria at November 27, 2007 10:21 AM

Any time my little one refers to bees - she means the honeybees from Winnie the Pooh, which are referred to as honey bees and not bumble bees, so that's probably not it.

And what I want? An iPhone. I'm not thinking it's gonna happen, but I've certainly not been subtle about it. If I don't get it for Xmas, I'm just gonna buy it anyway ;)

Posted by: sarah at November 27, 2007 10:40 AM

I can't decide which is worse: not understanding your young child's request or understanding your older child's very expensive request? Any thoughts?
As for me - I'm having a hard time deciding what I want for Christmas. So instead of stressing about it, I'm going to appreciate the fact that I feel rather content.

Posted by: Amaya at November 27, 2007 10:50 AM

Christina's first link, to the Lillian Vernon bee hive, is a great learning toy. I got it for my nephew. It's soft so when they throw the bees at you, they don't hurt.

This is a frog, but there are bugs involved... Check out the link: http://store.manhattantoy.com/dr/v2/ec_Main.Entry17C?SID=48105&SP=10023&CID=0&PID=805305&PN=1&V1=805305&V2=&V3=&V4=&V5=31047245&CUR=840&DSP=&PGRP=0&ABCODE=&CACHE_ID=0

Manhattan Toy is one of the best companies out there.

Posted by: GreenCanary at November 27, 2007 10:52 AM

At our house Mia's played with some stacking blocks that have a dog, a cat, some spinning bees, etc. These were a gift and there are no markings to tell me where they came from and they're kind of a babyish toy. So that's probably what it is, just on the basis of how hard it would be to track them down. :)

I'm also wondering if it could just be some kind of buzzing toy that makes her think of a bee. She was fascinated by a snowman/penguin/puppy trio on a sleigh that buzzed a little.

Good luck. Loved Poppy's comment about Best in Show :)

Posted by: Laura GF at November 27, 2007 11:09 AM

It probably has something to do with the Seinfeld bee movie.

As for me, I, too, want a bumblebee toy. It sounds neat.

Posted by: You can call me, 'Sir' at November 27, 2007 11:10 AM

My cousin's little boy is three weeks older than Mia, and he has two wind-up bee toys from McDonalds and completely adores them!

If that's not it, then I think I'd take Mia to the toy store or open a toy catalog and ask her to show you which bumblebee toy Santa is going to bring her. Could there be something bumblebee toy related to Pooh?

Posted by: Sandy at November 27, 2007 11:13 AM

I rekcon it's those today from McD's too. So much advertising around them and they are hard to miss.. (at a guess. Kids.)

Umm... me? Peace on earth.
Things must be pretty good on this end I can't think of anything I really want. Except maybe for a series of PJ concert and Matt Cameron under the tree. But that could get complicated quickly. ha!

Posted by: Nat at November 27, 2007 11:42 AM

My vote is for the Bee Movie, too.

For Christmas this year, I want the semester to be over (with all A's, of course), I want to be moved into my house (unpacked and settled), and I would like to have a few days off work with nothing to do. Can you arrange for that to happen?

What do YOU want for Christmas?

Posted by: Arwen at November 27, 2007 11:48 AM

All I can think of is Honeybee Hop...I've seen the commercial..maybe she did too???

Posted by: Laura at November 27, 2007 12:00 PM

A new, good, Our Lady Peace album not produced by Bob "kiss of death" Rock.

Cheers,
JJ

Posted by: JJ at November 27, 2007 12:39 PM

The car from Transformers? Ok, maybe not. Maybe the Bee movie that is coming out? Maybe she's seen a commercial somehow?

I want an iPod. I had one, but it got stolen on Thanksgiving, so now i want a new one.

Posted by: Phoenix at November 27, 2007 1:32 PM

Get out the Sears Christmas Catalog an dhave her show you.
I don't want much. I think I am a lucky woman to have all that I do.

Posted by: Maribeth at November 27, 2007 2:03 PM

Did she recently watch "Best in Show"??

Posted by: Punk Rock Mom at November 27, 2007 2:20 PM

Wow, Not sure on that one.. I'd ask her what a bumblebee is.. ya never know.. she could say from TV or open up a book and say, THIS! My 3 year old is at the point she wants EVERYTHING she sees on tv.. ugh.. My 8 and 6 year old have very specific, expensive lists this year.. Including Webkinz, laptops, camcorders, iPods, iDogs, and Digital cameras.. I'd take a request for a bumblebee any day!

I want a Dyson.. I guess I'm grown up and asking for Household things now.. *sigh* Seriously there is nothing else I can think of that I want..

Posted by: molly at November 27, 2007 4:15 PM

It has to be the toys from McDonalds. Rito has one (he is 17 months old) and he hangs onto it for dear life in the car. He loves that darn thing, I even hid a few in his "good boy" reward box for extra bribery milage.

Posted by: SleepyNita at November 27, 2007 7:06 PM

Dude, I have no idea. We don't have TV or kids yet so we're WAY out of the loop. Can't wait to find out what it really is though!

I want a lot of stuff. Like, A LOT a lot. And if I list it all I will look like a greedy bastard. But here's a Cliff's Notes version: clothes from Mimi Maternity, a gift certificate for a mani/pedi which I will save until March for when I REALLY need some pampering, a new duvet cover for our bed with a matching bed skirt and a pair of Keens.

Or money :-)

Posted by: samantha jo campen at November 27, 2007 7:23 PM

I'm going to go with the million other comments and say it has something to do with the Bee Movie. They whored the heck out of that movie.

Posted by: Dooneybug at November 27, 2007 7:26 PM

My guess would also fall within the Bee Movie area... though one never knows with kids Mia's age.

As for me, well, I wouldn't mind a macro lens for my Canon EOS Digital Rebel XT, but I have a feeling I'm getting a GPS unit for my car (I love my hubby's), and that would be OK with me. That, or some bling, of course. LOL

Posted by: ironic1 at November 27, 2007 8:20 PM

i agree with everyone else, it might have something to do with Bee Movie.

and as for what i want: http://whelanpress.com/etching_presses/Xpress_Printmaking_Etching_Presses/

it costs about the same as tuition for one semester at my old college. i have no idea where i'd put it and that wheel might be as tall as i am (i couldn't even turn the one we had at school)... but i want it.

Posted by: Denise at November 27, 2007 9:16 PM

Some more cowboy boots. Or Doc Martens. I'm not picky.

Posted by: wordgirl at November 27, 2007 11:30 PM

My first thought was the bumblebee dog toy from the movie Best In Show. What do I know - I don't have any kids.

Posted by: Beth in StL at November 27, 2007 11:57 PM

I'm starting to agree with the Bee movie toys. Did she see that? Or the evil commercial from somewhere?

Brandon asked Santa for a Palm so he can read digital books. So I guess I have to demote my Le Creuset 10" grill pan to a Caphalon or something cheaper. *sigh*.

Posted by: oakley at November 28, 2007 12:09 AM

I vote for Bee Movie toy. Last year my youngest (age 4 at the time) asked for a superman talking parrot. I sent the grandmothers out on a mission and one of them came very close. Talking and Parrot (superman never happened). Sometimes the toys are completely in there imagination, which can be hard on you or really cool.

Posted by: Amy at November 28, 2007 12:29 AM

Posted by: Amy at November 28, 2007 12:29 AM

I'm going to have to go with some of the other comments and say it has something to do with The Bee Movie. Personally I'd rather have a Wii than a bee.

Posted by: jessica fantastica at November 28, 2007 1:35 AM

That's OK...

A. Declan looked me straight in the eye and asked me if Santa was real last night.

B. All Declan wants from Santa is one of those hanging expendable Happy Birthday signs.

C. I already got my wish, thank you very much - we're going to Hawaii!

Posted by: Aimee Greeblemonkey at November 28, 2007 9:22 AM

1. I haven't the slightest clue. Perhaps it is all a clever ruse to smoke out the real Santa.

2. I want life to be a little less shitty.

Posted by: Sparkle Pants at November 28, 2007 12:54 PM

1. I am completely unfamiliar with a bumblebee toy. Is this like the Muhammad Ali thing she played with as a baby, maybe?

2. I want time with my family. And a digital picture frame. And socks. And that is all.

What do YOU want for Christmas.

Posted by: Emily at November 28, 2007 2:11 PM

Dude, I've been there and I sorry to say I don't know what she's referring to. Good luck.

I'm thinking about a 16Gig flash drive. I'm in love with Portable Apps (http://portableapps.com) and I'm thinking of going 100% portable. All music, documents, even some apps like IM all on my flash drive.

Posted by: Brad at November 28, 2007 3:31 PM

I'm with those that suggested the Bee movie toys from the arches.
Are you going to buy me a gift? If so, I'll take a new car. If not, then I want world peace damn it.

Posted by: Nanette at November 29, 2007 4:04 AM

I'm with those that suggested the Bee movie toys from the arches.

Posted by: Nanette at November 29, 2007 4:05 AM

i begged my parents for a "cat on wheels" when i was three or four- it turns out they were from a duracell commercial that i saw in passing at my aunt's house. unfortunately, no "cat on wheels" were to be found, so i missed out. until last year when my mom found a righteous cat on wheels. she packed it up and marked it as 'lost and undelivered since nineteen eighty-eight' and, even though it was nineteen years later, it's still basically the best christmas present ever.

so, yeah, um, even if you can't figure out what in hellfire the bumblebee-toy is [although my vote is with all the above-mentioned bee-movie toys], it may provide you with an exellent opportuinity in the future.

Posted by: meg at November 30, 2007 12:00 AM

A new laptop! And a baby! (My own baby, not just any baby.)

Posted by: She Likes Purple at December 5, 2007 12:24 AM

Following my monitoring, millions of people in the world get the business loans at good banks. Thence, there is good possibilities to get a short term loan in any country.

Posted by: LuzCain29 at October 10, 2010 7:11 AM

I took my first credit loans when I was not very old and this helped my business very much. But, I need the term loan as well.

Posted by: loans at November 18, 2011 4:18 AM