November 26, 2007

The Thanksgiving Weekend Recap

Five days. Yes, I was off - as in not working - for a whopping five days. And now I'm back at work. I'm sad. But I guess the vacation couldn't go on forever. For one thing, we'd be poor and I have the feeling I wouldn't like welfare. I don't think you can buy lots of books and music on welfare.

...more can be found at flickr, of course...

So, what did we do with those five days? How much time do you have?

• Gave thanks and ate (in)appropriately. This is probably the reason why Mia told me I had a "big tummy" and wondered aloud if I had a baby in it like mommy. This was after she told me I was old. Christ.
  • Watched the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. The parade has devolved into half Broadway show, half whorefest. I'm not talking about the Rockettes. The float/act-to-advertisement ratio seemed to average about 1 to six. And could NBC whore their own "stars" anymore? I'm sure they could. Tune in next year.
  • Made gingerbread men. This was a highlight since Mia has been bound and determined to make them since she saw an illustration of a gingerbread man a week and a half ago. It blew her little mind.
  • Chose colors to paint the interior of the house...again. The original list of colors escaped. We did a hard-target search of every outhouse, hen house, flop house and doll house to no avail. So we had to do it again. Good timing too since painters will be here at the end of the week and they need something to paint with.
  • Read a book or two. A book and a half, really.
  • Visited the Air and Space museum. We told Mia she could see rockets. I think she was a little disappointed it wasn't the Rocket. From Little Einsteins. Though traumatized, she survived.
  • Sang Christmas carols...and realized I didn't know the words to half of them. How does that happen in a land where we're inundated with the damn things starting around Halloween? Mia is particularly thrilled with her Christmas books and music this year. I'll be trying to keep my sanity for the next month.
  • Re-enacted a circus in my daughter's bedroom. It involved her brand new trick of drinking water from a sippy cup while upside down. I blame Patrick.
  • Removed all the vegetation from the fish pond. It smelled like fish poo. It took half an hour in the shower to get the smell off of myself.
  • Bought jeans. This is something of an accomplishment. Mia and I hit Old Navy and I stocked up on jeans and long-sleeve t-shirts and stuff. She's officially my new fashion consultant.
  • Caught up on some TiVo. For the record, this included Grey's Anatomy, Dirty Jobs (I could empathize after the fish poo), Flip That House, CSI (which I'm now calling Criminally Stupid Investigations yet I still watch), Survivor and House.

Was that enough? Trust me, I've forgotten to report half of it. So, what did you do?

Posted by Chris at November 26, 2007 6:20 AM
Comments

Um, we did some eating, some shopping, some decorating, and, uh...lots of nothing. Oh, we did go to the movies for the first time in over a year. I took the boys to see Enchanted. A hit, let me tell you.

Glad you had such a nice, if busy, holiday weekend. Too bad we have to go and ruin it with work, huh?

Posted by: Alissa at November 26, 2007 8:04 AM

Grey's Anatomy?!?!??!?!

You're dead to me.

Posted by: You can call me, 'Sir' at November 26, 2007 8:47 AM

CSI was a waste of time this week. It was bad the week they did the crossover with the other show too.

Posted by: Colleen at November 26, 2007 8:56 AM

Finished our Panama Canal cruise in Acapulco, Mexico, and flew home. Yesterday I sort of died. Today is laundry, laundry and more laundry. But still exhausted.
Question...Do you, Beth and Mia eat turkey? I know some Vegetarians eat fish and poultry.

Posted by: Maribeth at November 26, 2007 9:11 AM

We were actually talking about getting a saltwater fish tank this weekend ... but I'm not sure I want to learn what fish poo smells like.

Fish poo aside, sounds like you had a very busy holiday. We made a ridiculous amount of food, ate, and slept, mostly. Good times.

Posted by: Fraulein N at November 26, 2007 9:22 AM

Your Tivo list is the same as mine except for CSI. IMHO, If you've seen one, you've seen them all.

I haven't had the opportunity to clean up my Tivoed shows yet though.

Posted by: Hazel at November 26, 2007 9:44 AM

That little Miabean's smile just kills me!

Posted by: GreenCanary at November 26, 2007 10:09 AM

We did nothing! For the first time in 11 years we were alone, in our own home. It as wonderful to reconnect with each other. Oh, and we fried a turkey and the house is still standing!

Did discover that my little boy (he's a cat, Devon Rex breed and I call him my little boy!) can eat two times his weight in turkey, but only white meat. It was a nom nom feast for him!

Posted by: Michelle at November 26, 2007 10:56 AM

She calls you old. If I ask my girls if I am a good Daddy, the reply is something like this:

Them: "You're an old, old, OLD Daddy!"
Me: "I love you too."

Posted by: Rex at November 26, 2007 11:12 AM

I cooked, washed clothes, read, and planned my cookie baking.

Posted by: Maria at November 26, 2007 11:24 AM

I got a lot of shopping done, a lot of eating done, and weirdly enough (but totally necessary) spent time with the husband trying to refind each other - between kids, work, and life, we've gotten pretty lost... and we're kind of in a rough spot. So we spent some time sans kids to try to remember what it is that made us fall in love. (Yeah - uplifting, yes?)

Posted by: sarah at November 26, 2007 11:25 AM

Oh, my....I am cookoo for Dirty Jobs. That Mike Row gets me right *here*.

And I don't know the words to any Christmas songs. I do, however, know all the words to all of the spoofs of holiday songs.

*here comes Peter Cotton Tail, hopping down the bunny trail; Hippity Hoppity SPLAT.*

Posted by: Mr Lady at November 26, 2007 12:19 PM

Well...I do think the Thanksgiving Day Parade has always been exactly what you just described.

When my family and I lived overseas, someone gave us a tape of a late '70s Thanksgiving Day Parade, which my sister and I wore out watching. It was 75% Broadway, 20% tv stars, 5% floats. I can probably still act out that whole parade, if you'd like.

Posted by: Kate at November 26, 2007 12:22 PM

This time YOU get to be jealous of ME for a change. :) I'm still on vacation for another 3 days. Haha.

Over Thanksgiving weekend, we brined and cooked up a turkey breast and watched USC spanked ASU. Friday was online Christmas shopping (90% completed), bought Mass Effect for XBox 360, our friend came over and we played X-Men game and we went to dinner. Saturday, Brandon played Mass Effect, went to get Thai food for lunch and later to float these little lotus floats for Loy Kratong, a Thai festival. Sunday, Brandon continued on Mass Effect, I on the other hand went shopping and played Rock Band at my friend's house for 4 hours. I sucked at drumming, still learning the guitar, but can rock the mic like nobody's business. LOL.

Posted by: oakley at November 26, 2007 12:44 PM

Chris, Mia is so adorable I cannot STAND IT. I am kinda tired of seeing myself type it, but you're very lucky.

That cookie picture is SO cute!

Posted by: Poppy at November 26, 2007 1:15 PM

We had a great Thanksgiving day.

After that?

Nothing that I didn't have to.

Glad you enjoyed yours.

Posted by: ann adams at November 26, 2007 1:27 PM

That parade has become a joke. I can remember sitting there in front of that tv for 4 hours waiting to see Santa, and just seeing one float after another, and the balloons. Maybe we're just too old and jaded.

Posted by: Candy at November 26, 2007 4:06 PM

I'm getting into the last two weeks of my semester. Other than cooking a meal, I pretty much holed myself up with my laptop, doing all my finals papers and hissing if anyone shined light on me.

Posted by: Cassandra at November 26, 2007 4:30 PM

More adorable pictures...

I really want a Mia clone. Can you do that for me? Thanks.

Posted by: Tink at November 26, 2007 5:14 PM

Eating, drinking, writing. That's about all we did. :D

Posted by: Sparkle Pants at November 26, 2007 5:25 PM

Work, work, work...will it NEVER end? *sigh*

Posted by: sue at November 26, 2007 5:31 PM

Bought tickets for New York and secured hotel reservations for same. Watched the wind blow. Then the snow. Then the sleet. Then the rain. Hung lights on the house. Changed the blog header. Started a book. Watched some old "Dick Van Dyke". Still eating turkey.

Posted by: wordgirl at November 26, 2007 7:02 PM

Typical Canadian weekend. took kids skating. did laundry. scrapbooked with crazy women. took daughter to cheerleading practice. did laundry. went to see Enchanted. took daughter to soccer practice. did laundry. roasted chicken. shopped. did more #@^^#@ laundry.

Love the pics. of Mia...absolutely adorable!!

Totally agree CSI has lost it...try BONES...great show!!!

Posted by: Judy at November 26, 2007 9:04 PM

Mia is so cute! I wish you luck in surviving a month full of Christmas music!

Posted by: Colleen at November 26, 2007 10:39 PM

Read All Quiet on the Western Front. Much cooler than I thought!

Posted by: Sphincter at November 26, 2007 10:59 PM

I couldn't make it past the parade kickoff show. Just not fun and the giant balloons freak me out.

Posted by: Amy at November 26, 2007 11:52 PM

As I told your lovely wife, you daughter is gets more lovely every day.

And I am soooooooo with you on the devolution of the Macy's Parade. WTF was up with that?

HOWEVER. I stood in 20 degree weather Friday evening in Estes Park, Colorado, and froze my socks off to watch a hometown parade that included a shed that could ONLY have been procured from Home Depot and strung with lights. At that point Broadway whores looked pretty damn good.

Posted by: Aimee Greeblemonkey at November 26, 2007 11:53 PM

Beautiful picture of Mia in the dress. At six, Clare will sometimes still put a princess dress on for no reason, but complains about getting dressed up for holidays.

Posted by: Darren at November 27, 2007 12:18 PM

I, too, had five glorious days off. I spent most of it with my family, and despite realizing that some people are getting a little older and harder to deal with due to things like Alzheimer's, it was still a complete and utter joy.

Posted by: Emily at November 28, 2007 2:14 PM