November 23, 2007

The Weeklies #12: The Abbreviated Thanksgiving Edition

I've got the day off and I'm going to take full advantage of it. So today I bring you an abbreviated weekly report. I'm off to play. Or, possibly, stand in line at the DMV to get my license renewed. To-may-toh, to-maah-toh.

The Weekly Best Moment: Thanksgiving, of course. All the usual things happened. The same old arguments, the same jokes, the same bloated, sleepy ending. In short, perfection.

The Weekly Reads: Two down this week - Beautiful Lies by Lisa Unger and Gold by Dan Rhodes. Unger's Beautiful Lies was a fantastic thriller, sure to appeal to damn near everyone. It's literate, complex and written in an almost conversational style that completely absorbed me. As for Rhodes' Gold, it may well be the best book I've read in a long, long time. In less than 200 pages, Rhodes has produced a wise, quirky, and utterly wonderful novel. Only after I put it down did I realize just how much I loved it. I can't pinpoint why. But I did.

The Weekly Music: Did you know I now review music over at They Will Rock You? Well, I do! While you're there, check out my two latest reviews.

The Weekly Favorite Photograph: The first of what I'm sure will be many pictures I post from the Thanksgiving weekend.

The Weekly Question: What's the best album you've heard recently?

Posted by Chris at November 23, 2007 8:46 AM
Comments

First to comment-whew hew! I have to always come back to my all-time favourite, Bat Out Of Hell by Meatloaf.

Mia is beautiful.

Posted by: Susan at November 23, 2007 8:55 AM

HOW do you have time to read the weekly reads? How? And, Mia looks sooo pretty!!! The best album I've heard lately is "African Playground" (for kids, of course....) Have a great day off!

Posted by: Haley-O at November 23, 2007 9:00 AM

I love the way that she is biting her lip there. Too cute! Best album I've heard recently - someone reminded me of it (actually, was playing guitar/singing with my prof at a psych department mizer heh) and so I popped it in as soon as I got in the car - Eric Clapton's "unplugged" - love it!

Posted by: Heather at November 23, 2007 10:30 AM

I can't get past Costello Music by The Fratellis, mainly because I am trying to get out running again and you can't beat it for raucous tuneful cheerful high energy running music.

Posted by: Loth at November 23, 2007 11:15 AM

she's a living doll.

Best album? Magic. (Upon your recommendation, I might add)

Posted by: kalisah at November 23, 2007 12:15 PM

She just looks so grown up! What a doll!

Posted by: Steff at November 23, 2007 12:36 PM

Without a doubt the best album I've recently got my hands on is Wintersleep's new third album - Welcome to the Night Sky - An amazing band out of Nova Scotia...I don't know why they aren't huge. And there first two albums are amazing as well. Soo good... get it!

Posted by: Artfrew at November 23, 2007 1:03 PM

awww, mia always looks adorable!

the last good album i listened to was let it be by the replacements. i haven't really been listening to anything new. the last new album i heard was the foo fighters album

Posted by: denise at November 23, 2007 1:35 PM

I am probably the nightmare of musicians everywhere - I haven't purchased an album in its entirety for a long time - just can't seem to get into it - and I'm an iTunes freak - so I've been getting songs onesie-twosie as the spirit moves me. The ones I'm listening to most lately are "Dreaming with a Broken Heart" by John Mayer (a surprise, because he just seems like such a prick to me), "Where you End" by Moby (a friend recommended it), "The End of the World as We know it" by REM of course (because one of these days I'm gonna learn all the freakin' words, "Kill the Lights" by The Birthday Massacre, and "Show Me" by John Legend. I have a pretty eclectic taste in music - have been loving getting recommendations from friends lately - often am able to find things that I might not otherwise encounter on my own... I love that.

Posted by: sarah at November 23, 2007 2:08 PM

Raising Sand, the Allison Krauss and Robert Plant collaboration. It's fabulous!!

Posted by: Amy at November 23, 2007 2:25 PM

I'm so glad you had a great Thanksgiving. Mia is beautiful! I'm glad the weekly photo is back!!!

As for albums...Avenged Sevenfold self titled album. It is very different from their earlier records (started out hardcore, then moved to metal). It is very eclectic, fun, and dark. At first listen I was "eh", but some of the songs stuck in my head and it really grew on me.

Posted by: lesley at November 23, 2007 2:34 PM

I'm going to have to give you two albums I've been listening to lately: Rush's new one, Snakes and Arrows. When I first heard the single, "Far Cry", I was like eh, not so good. But then with repeated exposure I got to like it much more. The whole album rocks. Best Rush record in years.

The second is Radiohead, The Bends. A friend was cranking it on vacation a couple months ago and I was blown away. I couldn't wait to buy it. I'm glad I scanned through my CDs first, though, because I already had it! The first two songs ("Planet Telex" and "The Bends") will knock you right through the window.

Posted by: Jeff St Real at November 23, 2007 3:17 PM

hmmm... best album laterly..

i would have to say The Reminder by Feist. she is a lovely lady from my little big city here in toronto

..yep.
thats it.

Posted by: Cri at November 23, 2007 4:26 PM

hmmm... best album laterly..

..yep.
thats it.

ohwait
remember that song Toms Diner?
its a good song
her other stuff was never that awesome to me though

Posted by: Cri at November 23, 2007 4:31 PM

zomg she is adorable...

Glad your Thanksgiving was so great. Mine too. :)

Best new-to-me album is Collision Course, a mash-up of Jay-Z and Linkin Park. I don't listen to those artists y themselves, but this album is insanely awesome.

And, re: The Reminder by Feist that album is so much more incredible when performed live by her. I just saw her in September and it was a magical experience.

Posted by: Poppy at November 23, 2007 5:33 PM

Gonna have to agree with both Cri on Feist (freaking amazing how good that album is) and Artfrew's recommendation of Wintersleep's Welcome to the Night Sky. (They have a really good session on CBC Radio 3 (cbcradio3.com) if you want to download it. also on iTunes.)

We just got GA tickets to Springsteen in Hamilton so there's a lot of live Springsteen on the iPod these days. (Nebraska has been elevated to desert island status.)

I also heard the CBC Radio 3 session with Quebecois band Malajube which I adored. That's the next d/l. The Sadies also have a new album out which I may go get as well. (Still haven't got The Weakerthans new one, which I hear is a good one.)

If I go on any more I am going to have to get a sub-blog here.

Posted by: Nat at November 23, 2007 7:17 PM

oh and mia is adorable...

Posted by: Nat at November 23, 2007 7:22 PM

I just can't get enough of Hot Chip's album Coming on Strong. I think they have another album, but I wouldn't know since I can't stop listening to Coming on Strong.

Posted by: jessica fantastica at November 23, 2007 11:58 PM

What a wonderful picture! Thanks for sharing. Our Thanksgiving - with family - was also very nice.

Posted by: cassie-b at November 24, 2007 11:53 AM

OH.

Also, MY GOD.

Good lord she's cute.

Posted by: Mr Lady at November 24, 2007 6:20 PM

The new Crowded House cd. Just awesome.

Posted by: wordgirl at November 25, 2007 1:27 PM

Best album lately? Alison Krauss--A Hundred Miles or More.

Mia looks like a little princess.

Posted by: Sphincter at November 25, 2007 5:12 PM

Gosh Chris...Mia is turning into such a lovely young lady. I am floored by how much she's grown. So Beautiful!! Those curls, hehehe I could eat her up, lol

Posted by: Tammy at November 25, 2007 7:01 PM

AW! Mia looks precious.

Posted by: Maria at November 26, 2007 6:17 AM

the best album? it's so far outside of what i normally listen to, but, well: kanye west's graduation.

it's the production, i think.

Posted by: meg at November 26, 2007 10:26 AM

I'll go with Feist as well. Great songs, also I love the recording/mixing/mastering quality. They didn't compress the life out of it like everything else lately.

Posted by: Jeff at November 26, 2007 4:58 PM

This isn't new, but my husband recently bought Motorcade of Generosity by Cake and I'm really enjoying it.

Posted by: Amaya at November 27, 2007 11:30 AM