November 9, 2007

The Weeklies #10

The Weekly Worst Moment. Right now. It's Friday, I've got a big cup of coffee and a short day ahead.

The Weekly Best Moment. What, you thought that I was joking about the urinal cakes? Damn good part of the week right there.

The Weekly Reads. This week, I tackled The Winter of Frankie Machine by Don Winslow. It was insanely great. Why? Not only did Winslow manage to develop a sympathetic mob hit man, but he peppered his story with wonderfully realized backstories that made Frankie Machine's plight that much more gripping. By the time I'd plowed through the 300 pages, Winslow's world seemed real, it's history complex, and it's characters fantastically developed. Highly recommended.

The Weekly Music. None of the new, freshly downloaded stuff on my iPod was doing much for me this week. I found myself, instead, shuffling to four of my go-to albums. Here they are:

• Ten Silver Drops by Secret Machines. If you took a cup of Zeppelin, a cup of Pink Floyd and a dash of Flaming Lips and shoved it all in a blender, you might end up with Secret Machines. This, their latest release, is perhaps more mellow than previous efforts, but it's brilliant. Each time I hit play I love the album more.
  • Eyes Open by Snow Patrol. I initially didn't like this nearly as much as their previous albums. I was wrong.
  • The Last Broadcast by Doves. Doves are a band that can do absolutely no wrong. This, their second album, is by far the best of the three they've released to date. The Last Broadcast has been tragically overlooked. One of the single best albums to come out of the UK this decade. Check it out.
  • How We Operate by Gomez. I've followed them for years but this is their single best effort to date.

The Weekly Schadenfreude. What isn't all about the schadenfreude this week? Britney missed more than half of her scheduled drug tests, Dog The Bounty Hunter discovered that, contrary to his own opinion, he wasn't black, Mickey Rourke went on a drunken scooter ride, and O.J. finally ended up in court. Combined with the fact that we're not getting a heck of a lot of new TV due to the writers' strike, it was an interesting week.

Posted by Chris at November 9, 2007 6:23 AM
Comments

If I were elected prez right now...I’d have one hell of a presidential omelet.

Posted by: harrylips at November 9, 2007 7:01 AM

If I were elected prez right now...I’d have one hell of a presidential omelet.

Posted by: harrylips at November 9, 2007 7:01 AM

I hear that book is supposed to be quite good. I thought I was going to get to read a lot while on maternity leave... you know, while he's sleeping. HA!

Posted by: Claire at November 9, 2007 7:55 AM

I would make this a national holiday

Posted by: William at November 9, 2007 8:13 AM

The FirstLady and I would hold "congress", and "break in" the Lincoln bedroom. (Although I am sure Bill and who knows who already "broke in" the Lincoln Bedroom).

Posted by: Josh at November 9, 2007 8:21 AM

Just wanted to let you know, I will be away from my usual commenting for 2 weeks. I'll be cruising the Panama Canal and I hope to be able to Blog from there. (But you never know!) Check out www.dackelprincess.com starting Tuesday for two weeks and you never know what you might find!
See you when I get back.

Posted by: Maribeth at November 9, 2007 8:22 AM

I'd make a speech about being the first woman president...and during it declare all will have health care!

Posted by: Tera at November 9, 2007 8:25 AM

If I was elected President at this very moment? I would sit down and start making some very important lists.........

Posted by: Stephanie at November 9, 2007 8:42 AM

I would go on vacation to Camp David...

Posted by: Christina at November 9, 2007 8:46 AM

You know...where I live...they just named a "Flaming Lips Alley" downtown. On Halloween. Had a skeleton parade and everything.

Posted by: daisy at November 9, 2007 8:57 AM

I would legalize gay marriage.

And then I would order my own personal tank....just to scare the people who insist on driving like morons on my daily drive to work.

Posted by: Jennifer at November 9, 2007 9:42 AM

If I was elected president of the USA I would start my service by firing everyone and starting over.

Then I would get some coffee, cuz, who doesn't like a good cup of coffee? Gotta have the java, man!

Posted by: Red at November 9, 2007 10:03 AM

Wow, everyone else's answers are much funnier than mine. I'm sticking with my immediate response though -- I'd bring the troops home from Iraq and Afghanistan, hand the UN a big check and say sorry, we screwed up. Can you help these people get their countries back in order?

And then I might just get my own tank and drive around in it like Jennifer, because that would be cool.

Posted by: bad penguin at November 9, 2007 10:03 AM

Posted by: Red at November 9, 2007 10:03 AM

Snopw Patrol is a hit or miss with me. Some of there stuff is really good, but the rest is really bland, in my opinion. I do have 2 of their albums, but am very selective about what I listen to on each.

As for being president....I would get the scientists working on tube technology right away, and there will be no more cars, everyone will travel in tubes!

Posted by: slinger at November 9, 2007 10:18 AM

Can you be elected without running? Because that's how it would have to go down. Hey...did you hear that Dunkin' Donuts is selling their brand of coffee in the grocery stores now? Are you ecstatic?

Posted by: wordgirl at November 9, 2007 10:37 AM

Did you hear Dog on Hannity and Colmes(sic) where he said he was making arrangements to be buried on some hill at Mt. Vernon where all Washington's slaves had been buried. It's his way of atonement. You can't make this stuff up, people.

Posted by: Candy at November 9, 2007 11:28 AM

Long-time fan of Gomez. I haven't much of their recent stuff, much to my shame. I heard the Doves and a few other really impressive bands on Pandora last night (under the Porcupine Tree genre...you've ruined me) and I'm seriously hooked. I'll be eating soup for Christmas because all of my money is going to iTunes.

I'd fire everyone and start over. The military would be very well-taken care of, but the lion's share of the overall budget would be pointed at the heads of the Education Dept. and the NIH for research grants. I'd also overhaul the criminal justice system in a lot of very specific ways, but that would happen after waffles because I'm president and I'd like a waffle.

Posted by: You can call me, 'Sir' at November 9, 2007 11:30 AM

I'd laugh maniacally, like Sideshow Bob when he was elected mayor or Springfield in The Simpsons.

Posted by: ticknart at November 9, 2007 11:35 AM

I know this wasn't what you asked...but have you heard Ben Lee's new album "Ripe"? It's pretty good. I've been enjoying it all week...and (don't hit me for saying this) but I love the duet with Mandy Moore. I KNOW!

If I was president? I'd do something about the horrible maternity leave issues we have here in America. Or maybe the daycare issues. Yes, any issues pertaining to working women.

(After I stop the war, of course. But that goes without saying.)

Posted by: Isabel at November 9, 2007 11:41 AM

I'd balance the budget, and in doing so, would prioritize everything. War funds way down, so half of those guys gotta come home. Domestic spending way up, but not on frivolous things.

Posted by: Brad at November 9, 2007 12:05 PM

Dude. I'm listening to 3 of your 4 Weekly Musics, yo. You are my bestest friend in the whole wide world.

Posted by: GreenCanary at November 9, 2007 12:11 PM

wow - good question for my vacation-fresh brain!

I think I would work on bringing the troops home, reworking the Patriot Act, doing something about healthcare and getting some VERY good people on my team.

Posted by: Sue at November 9, 2007 12:43 PM

I'd end the war, get a viable health care system in place, and tackle a whole bunch of women's issues, like Isabel said.

Oh, and I'd repeal No Child Left Behind, just because.

Posted by: Alison at November 9, 2007 12:53 PM

Well, if I were elected president, and trust me - I would not have run, but only have been elected because every other known human being in the universe was on crack - I would just sit down and have a good cry.

Not sure what I'd do next. I'd have to think about it. Where to start? Yikes.

Posted by: sue at November 9, 2007 1:32 PM

dance to jump by the pointer sisters all over the white house! - ya i know hugh licks sometimes but he inspired me!

Posted by: Amy at November 9, 2007 1:38 PM

Hmm... if I were elected president right this moment... I would immediately resign. For, you see, I have no business running anything. :)

Posted by: Cassandra at November 9, 2007 6:35 PM

go on vacation.

... i'd be a terrible president.

Posted by: denise at November 9, 2007 7:40 PM

apologize

Posted by: Cri at November 10, 2007 3:24 AM

p.s. a book you may be interested in
"places in between"
by rory stewart

Posted by: Cri at November 10, 2007 3:26 AM

I'd lay down on the rug in the oval office and make carpet angels on the presidental seal.

Posted by: Stephanie at November 10, 2007 3:03 PM

I love Snow Patrol. Some of their music makes me downright weepy.

Posted by: Poppy at November 10, 2007 5:24 PM

I would dismiss all the PC nonsense going on with the Middle East, do what it takes to find the leaders of major terrorist groups and eliminate them. Finish the war and create lasting treaties with places like Pakistan and Isreal. Stop using the military trpp[s as Iranian police officers, and actually take care of business. Then on day two, it would be time to overturn Roe vs. Wade. Just to start. Maybe after that, my boyfriend and I could christen the Oval Office.

Posted by: Tess at November 10, 2007 8:25 PM

Posted by: Tess at November 10, 2007 8:25 PM

I'd get up felt up in the oval office on the big desk. Whhaa? Don't lie. You'd do the same thing.

I'm confused how having a big cup of coffee and a short Friday was a bad thing? Dude to me that sounds perfect. Big ole cup of jumpin java and a short day?? Shhiii bring it.

Posted by: kimmyk at November 11, 2007 12:07 AM

"The Weekly Question. If you were elected President of the United States this very moment, what's the first thing you'd do?"
Shoot myself.