November 2, 2007

The Weeklies #9

Am tired. Overworked. And somewhat comatose this morning. Need coffee. And weeklies...

The Weekly Worst Moment. Wednesday, when I realized I'd already worked a 40-hour week. It just got worse.

The Weekly Best Moment. On one of the nights I put Mia to bed, she rolled over, put her arms around me and said, "I love you my darling daddy." That rocked.

The Weekly Conversation.
Beth: Do you want to take a bath?
Mia: NO!
Beth: Do you want to take a shower with mommy?
Mia: NO!
Beth: Do you want me to just stand here and spit on you for a while?
(She didn't, of course.)

The Weekly Reads. Two books this week - Graham Swift's The Light of Day and Nick Hornby's Slam. I've always liked Swift. His book Last Orders is one of my favorites. This one? Well, it was decent. It was a mystery that slowly unfolded to reveal its secrets. Swift's writing was fantastic, as always. Hornby's latest is an odd thing. It was written primarily for young adults. But I love Hornby so I couldn't resist. It read like an old after-school special. A really well-written and funny after-school special, though. We all know the dangers of teenage pregnancy and don't need a very funny writer to explain it to us again. But, then again, maybe a 15 year old somewhere does. Would I recommend reading it? It's Hornby - you bet.

The Weekly Music. Radiohead has always been a few steps ahead. They released their latest - In Rainbows via the Internet. Not totally cutting edge. But how they priced it surprised people - they allowed consumers to name their own price. It was a cool move. I ponied up somewhere around $10 after the total was converted from Euros to dollars. Now, I haven't really been a fan of Radiohead's output since OK Computer so I was expecting to be let down. I wasn't. In Rainbows is excellent. It's a mellow album but so much more focused than anything they've done in the last decade. It is, lush. Also lush - not to mention terribly overlooked - is the band Wheat. Their most recent album, Everyday I Said A Prayer for Kathy and Made A One Inch Square, is odd, meandering, lush shoegazing pop at its insanely, very good best. I've owned the album for a while and always loved it. But I suddenly realized just how genius it is.

The Weekly Schadenfreude. Last week illusionist David Copperfield made his career disappear. This week, Dog The Bounty Hunter's career skipped town.

The Weekly Question. If, indeed, a woodchuck could chuck wood, how much wood would said woodchuck chuck, do you think? And, honestly, why would he chuck all that wood to begin with?

Posted by Chris at November 2, 2007 7:10 AM
Comments

If a woodchuck, could chuck wood, he would chuck all the wood he could, b/c OIL PRICES SUCK... and most likely Mr. Woodchuck would be installing a woodstove this year as to not hand his almighty paycheck IN FULL to the oil man every other month.

Posted by: Stephanie at November 2, 2007 8:07 AM

A woodchuck doesn't chuck ANY wood.

Posted by: Arwen at November 2, 2007 9:03 AM

I would say what Stephanie said only not as well...

Here's to relaxing this weekend and NOT thinking about work!

Posted by: Christina at November 2, 2007 9:08 AM

True about the woodchuck. Makes me glad I pre-paid my oil back in July. I feel like a frigging genius!

Posted by: Maribeth at November 2, 2007 9:10 AM

Have an relaxing weekend with your girls!

Posted by: Nila at November 2, 2007 9:10 AM

Wheat grows on you....slowly. I always play it on road trips and wonder why it never works its way into my regular rotation, but it never seems to. But I am always wondering why not since I am always surprised at how much I missed listening to it. Odd. Maybe it is best in small doses.

Posted by: Jen at November 2, 2007 9:13 AM

You worked 40 hours by Wednesday and still managed to read 2 books this week. This gives me the impression that all you do is work and read. Of course I know it's not true because all of your stories of time spent with Mia and Beth sound like they take a good amount of time too... so really I'm just amazed at how much you can get done in a week.

Me? I worked 40 hours for the week, beat Guitar Hero 3 on easy and medium and started hard, and somehow managed to carve a jackolantern.

Posted by: Adam at November 2, 2007 9:40 AM

Dude! Wheat is so terribly underrated! I downloaded a couple songs from Per Second... Completely awesome!

Posted by: Matt at November 2, 2007 9:41 AM

Your Weekly Best Moment is officially the Sweetest Moment EVAH. Have a good weekend!

Posted by: Fraulein N at November 2, 2007 9:52 AM

First, on the weekly conversation - let me share some very good advice that my mother gave me when My Kid was about 2: Do not ask questions you don't want to hear the answer to. (Best to avoid yes or no questions as well, as you can predict what those answers will be.)

Secondly, I'm with last week's commenter: how do you work 100 hours in a week and still find time to read TWO books??

Posted by: kalisah at November 2, 2007 10:17 AM

Dude. What's up with the existential question this week?

Posted by: Alison at November 2, 2007 10:46 AM

Love the quote!

And regarding Radiohead, I keep meaning to check this out, will have to do it now that I am reminded of it.

Posted by: slinger at November 2, 2007 11:35 AM

That weekly conversation is easily the funniest thing I've heard this week, too.

Posted by: Jennie at November 2, 2007 11:41 AM

I'd hope he could chuck enough would to keep me warm this winter...

Posted by: Darren at November 2, 2007 1:16 PM

We all seem to be on the same page with respect to said woodchuck.

Have a good weekend!! I'll be in San Francisco for a day with blogging buddies. Whee!!

Posted by: ann adams at November 2, 2007 2:22 PM

Is the ability to read that much something you had to practice at or are you just a fast reader?

~Jef

Posted by: Edge at November 2, 2007 3:25 PM

i told you In Rainbows was GREAT! :)

Posted by: ali at November 2, 2007 3:31 PM

I totally agree about the Hornby book- and I have read a lot of teen books for work. It's worth reading for the Hornby-esque-ness of the writing, but I am wondering if the book will have teen appeal because of the after-school-special quality or if all his adult fans will be the ones reading it...

Posted by: Librarian Girl at November 2, 2007 3:35 PM

There you go again with the awesome music.

I believe that the original saying regarding the woodchuck involved a colorful metaphor starting with 'f' that rhymed with the word 'chuck'. That said, I believe the woodchuck had a lumber fetish and 'chucked' as much of it as he could because he was incredibly horny and slightly confused. Just thinking about the word 'splinter' at this point makes me cringe.

Posted by: You can call me, 'Sir' at November 2, 2007 3:54 PM

A woodchuck would chuck all the wood that a woodchuck could chuck if a wood chuck could chuck wood.

And he's chucking it because he's mad at you for working 40 hours by the middle of the week.

Posted by: Cassandra at November 2, 2007 4:42 PM

To answer your question, a Woodchuck will chuck wood until he gets a splitter, or hits someone with the wood he just chucked.

Funny that you write about Wheat, my latest post is a music video by Bread.

Posted by: Vid Digger at November 2, 2007 10:26 PM

spitting on them is absolutely genius (you can tell beth i said that) and I am totally going to use that line (read steal) as soon as possible.

Posted by: Amy at November 3, 2007 7:55 PM

I think the Woodchuck chucks wood because they're there, like the time my big brother threw my TV out my window.

If I was a Woodchuck I'll chuck enough wood to build a small hospital for the people who got hit by them. Maybe I'll move my grandma in too since she probably got hit with alot of wood, would explain her temporary comas.

Posted by: RC at November 4, 2007 4:33 AM

Your reading habits astound me...HOW do you find time to read two books in a week with everything else that's going on your life? (No wonder you're tired.) ;)

Posted by: Marilyn at November 4, 2007 11:31 AM

To be perfectly honest, I've never seen a woodchuck chuck wood. If they did, would they build a house or something?

Posted by: cassie-b at November 4, 2007 1:50 PM

I'm cracking up over Mia and Beth's spitbath conversation. I'll have to file that one away for the future.

Posted by: angela at November 4, 2007 2:01 PM

Tonight, Declan said to me: "When I am having a bad day, I just think of your guys' love."

After I stopped laughing at the dorkiness of it, I sat down and had a good cry.

Posted by: Aimee Greeblemonkey at November 4, 2007 11:31 PM

Do you and Beth always crack each other up?

Posted by: NM at November 5, 2007 12:32 AM