November 12, 2007

Recall

There are several go-to games Mia has - dollhouse, trains, and dance party are three of the most popular. I'll be standing in the kitchen, feel a tug on my jeans and look down to find her saying play trains. And instead of waiting, she'll grab my hand and lead me to the playroom. This scenario played itself out yesterday. We played dollhouse, a game which involves me sitting on one side of the dollhouse, her on the other, walking her Little People through the front door. While playing, I noticed something.

The dollhouse is, like damn near everything else, made in China. So far, it hasn't been recalled but that could change. The dollhouse is adorned with stuff - a telephone, television, toilet, bathtub, a master bedroom, a kid's room with crib and mobile, and a laundry room with washing machine and dryer. Somewhere, in a land halfway around the globe, this thing that is so representative of what Americans have or want was shaped out of plastic. Someone in that far off land assembled it or made sure it was put together correctly or shoved it in a box. Someone, most likely, who will never have a home like that, whose kids will never even own a toy like that.

We all take for granted what we have. I'm not saying we shouldn't. I mean, we really shouldn't but we probably always will. What we can't ever afford to take for granted are the people who gave up their lives - months or years of lives in their entirety - to allow us to have the lives we lead.

Today is Veteran's Day. There are some things you should consider doing. First, thank a Veteran. Call a father or grandfather who fought for our country. Or one who currently does. These are the people who allow us to continue to live the American dream or whatever currently passes for it. Second, write your congressman or senator, pick up a sign and protest, or find a worthy candidate to contribute to and send the message that the war playing out a half a world away is wrong. I don't care if you're a republican, democrat, libertarian or communist - it's plain to see that the current approach isn't working. The best way our government can honor our men and women in the armed forces is to take them out of harm's way.

Posted by Chris at November 12, 2007 9:38 AM
Comments

My most fervent prayer lately is that they will somehow manage to bring them home with body and soul together, and mind intact. I can't imagine. I just can't, but I'm so thankful for those who fight, even when I'm angry and appalled at those who've sent them.

Posted by: Heather at November 12, 2007 10:08 AM

Yesterday was Remembrance Day up in the great white north, and I marked it with a post with a different spin that I'm going to shamelessly link to here:

Posted by: SciFi Dad at November 12, 2007 10:10 AM

Ah...two different uses of the word "recall." I like it! Happy Veterans Day to you, too. I love long weekends. :)

Posted by: Zandria at November 12, 2007 10:23 AM

Our Senior Senator has gone completely bonkers but I'll try - again. Our Junior Senator must be pulling out her hair and would like to pull out Diane's.

I found a neat link for handmade wooden toys (trains and such). A little pricey but my online friend has toddler tested them and assured me they last forever.

I'll send it in an email. Links are much too complicated here.

Posted by: ann adams at November 12, 2007 11:03 AM

It's pretty neat you realize that you need to be grateful and not take things for granted. It's more than a lot of people can say these days. Complaining about the small stuff, not realizing the beauty that lies in their hands.

Happy Veterans day!

Posted by: Nadine at November 12, 2007 11:29 AM

Well said.

I already called my dad (USMC during Vietnam) and my grandpa (Navy during WWII) and IM'd my friend currently stationed in Kuwait.

Posted by: Alissa at November 12, 2007 11:46 AM

Thank you for reminding us what is important. We tend to just think of today as a day off (Woo Hoo) and not think about the sacrifices that were made, and still are being made, for us.
I have already spoken with my brother, 1st Gulf War vet, and my father-in-law, Vietnam vet.

I put up my flag that was my grandfather's, WWII and Korea, and thought of him and my uncle, Vietnam vet (who had been gone for 15 years).My grandfather has been gone for 3 years and is buried in Arlington. It is on days like this when I wish I lived back there so I could go and pay my respects.

Sorry for the long post.

Kali

Posted by: kali at November 12, 2007 12:02 PM

If only we COULD get out...

Posted by: wordgirl at November 12, 2007 12:09 PM

The willing sacrifice of human mind, soul, and body in the service of one's country is such a precious, sacred gift that one should never, ever take it lightly or use it for a purpose that is anything less-than-meaningful. The fact that this administration has intentionally misused soldiers and their lives in pursuit of an unfounded and meaningless cause is the worst of offenses against these soldiers and their families.

Still, we should remember all of them, no matter how they died or how they sacrificed of their sanity. Let's just make a move not waste their efforts and selves anymore.

Posted by: Nathan Pralle at November 12, 2007 12:18 PM

Definitely aware of what today is - married to a military guy, and always hoping that he doesn't get called to go overseas. The people who fight for our country are amazing - as are their spouses and loved ones holding down the "fort" (so to speak) at home.

Posted by: sarah at November 12, 2007 4:38 PM

I reflected on the veterans today in my own little way. I don't know any to call, or write.... My little reflection was not nearly enough, though. Thank you for helping me reflect even more with this post. :)

Posted by: Haley-O at November 12, 2007 7:54 PM

I can't get over the number of recalls from China. It's unreal the amount of lead in their products and how unsafe some of these toys are.

Two good places to help veterans are Fisher House or the USO.

Posted by: Diane at November 12, 2007 8:02 PM

Well-said! Get those armed forces out of harm's way, STAT!

Posted by: ironic1 at November 12, 2007 10:48 PM

Well said.

Posted by: Nanette at November 12, 2007 11:47 PM

Right on brother.

Posted by: Aimee Greeblemonkey at November 13, 2007 10:30 PM

So I haven't been around in forever, but I just wanted to say how much I liked your post. It acknowledges so much and reminds me that there are people out there who think like I do.

I've never had Veteran's Day off from school or work. I think it's pretty much a travesty. Labor Day is great and all (oh, and around my birthday), but this is the day that every school and business should take to set aside.

The history of Veteran's Day is pretty interesting, too, if you ever want to read up on it.

Posted by: alektra at November 18, 2007 11:58 AM

One acknowledges that today's life is not very cheap, but we need money for different issues and not every person gets big sums money. Hence to get good home loans or collateral loan should be a proper solution.

Posted by: HESTERHendrix23 at March 7, 2010 5:29 PM